CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,790 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
TaterTot_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, to hell with FC Local when it doesn't help them achieve their goal? And when I say "their" I mean the board. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out and how fast they make their decision this time. I'm guessing they don't want to drag their feet. Has construction even began yet on River Bend?
MTTANK
AG
The meeting on Monday will specifically outline the plans. Parents are more than welcome to wait to be riled up until then. Everybody has and is welcome to an opinion, take mine for what its worth (nothing) if you want. I told everyone which zoning option they would go with a month before they "decided". I also told everyone they were going to deny the grandfathering well beforehand. Even you thought they would allow it Oogway. I had hoped and prayed you were right with your assumptions that they would grandfather. I hope and pray I am wrong in this rezone, and would love to eat some crow in this case.
GIG 'EM
Oogway
If it is 'unstated,' then that means it hasn't been stated yet, correct? The scenarios will be presented on Monday and then it will be a matter of record.

To be honest, it would not surprise me if the Administration considered residents west of the Union Pacific RR as one of the options/scenarios to attend #10. To be clear: I am speculating. I have not seen that in print/presented anywhere.

The UP rail yard is scheduled for completion within one year of that elementary opening. The elementary opens Fall of 2019 and the Brazos rail yard, if on target, is scheduled for 2020. Once that rail yard is complete, that will be a headache for the crossings near the southern estate subdivisions in that the wait times to cross Wellborn (to go to GP, which is a lot closer) may or may not be as easy as driving north to the expanded Holleman Drive. It would for sure be a question I would ask and want as definitive answer as I could get. Not necessarily from the school district either because even they might not know how many trains, how many train cars in the line, and how many times a day. Since I don't know the train schedule, it could be that the crossings aren't a problem at all, in which case I guess, if I were a parent I would go to the workshop and listen to what they present and go from there.
MTTANK
AG
TaterTot_09 said:

So, to hell with FC Local when it doesn't help them achieve their goal? And when I say "their" I mean the board. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out and how fast they make their decision this time. I'm guessing they don't want to drag their feet. Has construction even began yet on River Bend?
Nah, they designed FC local to work for this. They allowed for a huge margin of "comparability" for elementary school rezoning. They put a tiny margin for high schools, right before the last rezone. They were sure to explain middle schools were not on the chopping block for THIS rezoning. Never fear, middle schools will be next. All part of the master plan they have laid out.
GIG 'EM
Ratsa
FC(LOCAL)

Establishing comparable composition among schools has only ever applied to grades 5-12, to my knowledge. Maybe actually read FC(LOCAL)?
Oogway
Sorry, MT, you had replied while I was typing. Well, if parents want to get riled up, I'm not going to stop them- I am looking at it from the perspective of it's going to ruin your weekend and your health if you lay awake stewing about it when you can know for certain what the scenarios are on Monday.

I am not trying to be cavalier about people 's feelings here, and yes, I did not see what the big deal was about going ahead and keeping the eighth graders at their home school and I was wrong when they stuck to their guns. I spent many a night worried when we went through our own rezonings, but I did find it helpful to wait until there was something to look at, something tangible to know if my fears were to be realized or not. Does that make sense? I have no idea what the Administration will propose; hopefully it will be something that isn't as disruptive as the last one.

Edit to add-
After I typed this, it does make me wonder if the public schools should simply adopt the IL school method of applying and then lottery and that is your school until you age out. That creates the continuity and helps with the uncertainty, but I'm not so sure about the proximity.
MTTANK
AG
Thanks Oogway, I understand where you are coming from. I always enjoy your posts, and you have enlightened me about some things in the process. I remember reading about some districts in Texas that use the same method for enrollment as IL, it was reported to work well so you might have a good thought(above my paygrade). And Ratsa, I was thinking about you the other day when I was jammed up in some Hellacious charter school traffic! I was trying to think what hood you lived in and what an alternate route would be to avoid that nightmare. Hopefully you have found one because I don't wish that mess on anyone. Anyways, I have read many versions of FC local. I hope you do realize that the school board designs FC local as they need. FC local has been used to rezone Elementary schools according to proximity in the past. Its typically changed leading up to a rezone to fit their agenda. Would not surprise me to see a future version of FC local that says comparability will not be used in rezoning high schools. Either way, y'all have a good weekend and BTHO out of Arkansas!
GIG 'EM
Oogway
This is going to seem off topic, but it relates to the trains, which in turn, may relate to the new elementary. The last data I could find indicated that there are around 9 trains per day and 9 trains per night along the UP route that passes through town. I do not know just how variable that is, but at least it is less than a train an hour. How much that will change in 2020 is what I would like to know. It may be awhile before there is a flyover south of 2818 but at least the long wayside track was pushed further south I believe?
TaterTot_09
I've read it, Ratsa. But thanks for the advice. The thing is they use FC Local when it's convenient and serves their agenda. My nieces and nephew are definitely considered low ses yet they have always been bussed to an elementary school that shall remain nameless on the east side of town. No where near the complex they live in. I always thought it was the most bizarre thing until I learned more about it.
Agmaker
MTTANK said:

Thanks for the update Oogway! For this rezone, they have stated they do not plan on relying on "comparability". This is because they are rezoning for pebble creek. When zoning for Consol, they needed to use "comparability" to send the most expensive neighborhoods to Consol. Now that pebble creek elementary is up for rezone, they want to only feed it with more affluent neighborhoods. Of course, this would go against zoning for "comparability". So they plan to throw that metric out the window for the most part, which was so important when rezoning Consol. I am pretty sure they will spin it by saying they are trying to be responsive to those that were so upset with last rezoning being based only on comparability. In the end, they are up to bat for Pebble Creek Elementary here, as they were up to bat for Consol HS in the last rezoning. I think Indian Lakes is on the chopping block here, among others. They will also spin it as being financially responsible, they are filling up the under capacity pebble creek elementary and saving the tax payers money. Sad thing is they are not smart enough to even have accurate numbers, as we saw in the last rezone. The vast majority of Indian Lakes has pulled their elementary aged students from csisd, and put them in the new charter school. Obviously parents did this because they knew the district would continue to hack away at the map. They also will be zoning the saddlle creek area to the new river bend elementary. There is 5 other elementary schools closer to that area then River Bend. Awesome being in a district that does not believe in school choice, or even remotely honor proximity unless it helps the schools boards personal agenda.

Tonight the saga begins again.
Turf96
Should make for great theater but don't snooze on this one. I bet they act fast before the new election so that the agenda for sure advances.

FC local should be renamed For Convenience local. Why would it matter from grade to grade? 10-15 here 7-12 there. Doesn't matter school or not when I see programs such as that I laugh. Why not just give somebody a pen and stack of papers and say sign in anything you like?

I still say we have a couple of board members that care for the kids deeply and a group that would like to but has an agenda that is more important. If I'm right look for this to be a lightening round. Hang on tight. It won't be fast for a painless process but fast as the numbers are there to progress the movement. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am. My fear is I'm not.

I will be watching as I didn't in the past. Shame on me. One board member said the kids are just a number to him and he is right as I am as well. Bad for him is my number will always be a vote against him after that, as he was out of line. I'll save him the embarrassment and say it for him, I guess I can suck it too.
Oogway
Spring Creek was the last K-4 adjustment, correct? I can't recall how that one went as far as parents being pro or con on the final decision. Sometimes if there is a large group of students around the new elementary it goes 'somewhat' smoothly since they move that large group from an overcrowded elementary to the new one with the other neighborhood kids. Does anyone happen to remember?
Stupe
S
Someone could put a balloon with a face drawn on it on the ballot and I would vote for it over incumbents responsible for the current zoning mess.
Expert Analysis
AG
Initial elementary rezone
FILO505
AG
Serious question in all this: how do I get my kid to Consol when that time comes? It makes zero sense to be zoned to CSHS, and all her friends are zoned to Consol. I'm not sending her to CSHS. Don't care if the busses don't run to our street. We're right across the damn street in Southwood valley.
Expert Analysis
AG
  • move
  • claim a different address in consol zone
  • enroll in a consol specific program
  • start teaching at CSISD
  • I wish there was just an option to just send your kids there due to proximity
Stupe
S
  • People moved in order to ensure their kids could go to either high school and then got hosed during rezoning.
  • They can do that
  • Would make them ineligible for any UIL competition if they were found out. Any academic scholarships earned could be revoked
  • They can do that
  • I think that people would be shocked at how easy that would be and how balanced the schools would be
Agmaker
You can request to go to Consol. It will be approved. Consol is under capacity. It will help if you plan to be in one of the specialized program that only Consol offers.

Edit - meant for response to tombdaddy.
AggieMom_38
Besides the obvious... the large area being zoned to the new school, what are the other changes proposed? Anyone attend the meeting that can summarize? Looks like a larger area in College Hills is going to be bused to PebbleCreek.
Oogway
The link above shows the map, but here is a link to the Power Point that gives a little more info. I didn't make it last evening and will wait for the video.

https://4.files.edl.io/03e5/10/01/18/231104-bab69f0c-b4b5-4ecc-920d-db70b1fc3285.pdf

[Please start a new thread concerning this particular rezoning. Thank you. -Staff]

[We are trying to keep these threads on topic as much as possible and the topic of this 25 page thread has been the recent middle school and high school rezoning. Another conversation in the middle of this thread will get confusing and we are trying to avoid that issue. Thank you -Staff]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.