CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,921 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
DontBeTriggered
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't they just use vouchers and attend whatever school they would like?
Stupe
S
Quote:

I also get the impression that grandfathering won't be completely settled until the end of this process.

Which is ridiculous. That should be the first thing that is decided.
CS78
The more they jerk people around, I have to wonder how many will get fed up and try to not follow the zonings. How hard is it to lie about where you live and use a PO Box for your mailing address?
91_Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

The more they jerk people around, I have to wonder how many will get fed up and try to not follow the zonings. How hard is it to lie about where you live and use a PO Box for your mailing address?

I'll help you out with that. Go to brazoscad.org and search by your name for property.
CS78
BigBubba said:

Lastly, they will also present an option that draws an east/west line straight across the middle of the district whcih sends all kids north of the line to CONSOL and south of the line to CSHS. This should be funny and is mainly being done just to show people how this is not an option.

Even better idea, lets take everyone north of the line and send them south. Everyone south of the line and send them north. Will that finally make everyone equal and we can just put this to bed?
CS78
91_Aggie said:

CS78 said:

I'll help you out with that. Go to brazoscad.org and search by your name for property.
They actually do that with thousands of student? What if someone owns more than one property? What would the consequences be if caught? The ISD can't just keep screwing with peoples lives and not expect push back at some point.

Looks like I actually qualify to have my CAD information kept confidential. I'm sure many others do too. https://comptroller.texas.gov/forms/50-284.pdf

gibby03
AG
gibby03
AG
CS78 said:

91_Aggie said:

CS78 said:

They actually do that with thousands of student? What if someone owns more than one property? What would the consequences be if caught? The ISD can't just keep screwing with peoples lives and not expect push back at some point.

Looks like I actually qualify to have my CAD information kept confidential. I'm sure many others do too. https://comptroller.texas.gov/forms/50-284.pdf

What if I told you they are finding kids today at all 4 area high schools that are zoned to a high school different than the one they are attending? And it's April. That's happening.
CS78
gibby03 said:

What if I told you they are finding kids today at all 4 area high schools that are zoned to a high school different than the one they are attending? And it's April. That's happening.
Did not know that. Interesting. So what do they do?
Oogway
It is dishonest though, and I believe the parents that go to the public forums, email, organize, etc are illustrating a better example for their children regardless of the outcome. Some may argue, what's the point, but I have seen enough of a groundswell in this community before that got policy changed, so it does work, just takes more time than people like.

As far as ignoring what school one is supposed to attend, I may be incorrect, but it might have an effect upon other activities? Extracurricular things like sports have eligibility issues that have rules concerning stuff like that. I don't know exactly how that works, but I would imagine they (UIL) might frown upon it.
Do I think it happens? There are always folks that decide to ignore rules/laws they think are dumb/don't apply to them, and rationalize the behavior. Happens all the time and and I would be naive to think this situation is different.

Edit-grammar
gibby03
AG
CS78 said:

gibby03 said:

Did not know that. Interesting. So what do they do?

The schools do the best they can to police it and when they find one they do something about it. Admittedly, we are probably talking less than 100 kids but it does show it's happening.
Stupe
S
91_Aggie said:

CS78 said:

That only shows where you own property. If you lease a duplex and show that as your primary residence, you can get around that.
From a "legal" standpoint, the only thing that would really affect would be UIL competitions.

Edit: I know this because I know people from both schools that were considering it.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
I didn't make a statement, I asked a couple of questions. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the details of the schools in College Station so I was just wondering.

I've seen it mentioned several times about balancing demographics- would that be a state mandated issue or is it truly up to the districts to decide that? After looking at the maps it seems like it would be impossible to make everyone in this situation happy but I do hope they come to a reasonable solution.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Two of the options that will be shown are:
  • Option 2b with Nantucket and Indian Lakes added
  • Option 1 with the Margraves development added

If they did that to option 2b, it would be just another version of Option 1
91_Aggie
AG
Stupe said:

91_Aggie said:

CS78 said:

That only shows where you own property. If you lease a duplex and show that as your primary residence, you can get around that.
From a "legal" standpoint, the only thing that would really affect would be UIL competitions.

Edit: I know this because I know people from both schools that were considering it.
That's going to be a very small number of people who do that.

If people are going to go through the expense of leasing a duplex/apartment to show as primary residence, and be that deceitful, you know their little Johnny/Jane is going to end up being an "outstanding" member of society no matter what school then end up in.

People may talk about that, but if you have a homestead exemption on your property and you go around telling government entities that you actually have a different primary residence, you might find yourself involved with some legal actions.

91_Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

91_Aggie said:

CS78 said:

CAD information being confidential is probably only applicable to it being viewed by anyone on websites.

A public sector organization derives its funding from property taxes is likely going to be able to see it.
Oogway
More likely, it is an investment property/sublet with the utilities in the landlord's/owner's name.
JimInBCS
CS78 said:

Even better idea, lets take everyone north of the line and send them south. Everyone south of the line and send them north. Will that finally make everyone equal and we can just put this to bed?
You may be on to something. Thinking a bit out of the box, and with keeping continuity in mind over most everything else....

• Keep zones essentially the same as they are today
  • Rename the existing CSHS facility to AMCHS. It is now the new home of AMCHS, and all students, teachers, coaches, and administrators at AMCHS now report to the old CSHS building that is now the new permanent home of AMCHS
  • Rename the existing AMCHS facility to CSHS. The former AMCHS building is now the temporary home of CSHS, and all students, teachers, coaches, and administrators now report to the old AMCHS building which is now temporarily branded CSHS.

These changes solve the immediate overcrowding issues. Busing a few more kids, but many will be bused under the recently proposed plans as well. Grandfathering will not be an issue, as all kids still report to the same school they are currently zoned. They will just report to a new facility (CSHS on a somewhat temporary basis). Kids are not separated from their existing friends, and continuity is not marginalized. No one neighborhood is singled out for rezoning to their detriment.

In the next year or two, begin the process to construct the new high school much farther south, which when completed will become the new home of CSHS. If SES issues remain at that time, then rezone small portions of the low SES neighborhoods to the new school rather than moving large portions of high SES neighborhoods to AMCHS. Build the new high school of sufficient size to handle the anticipated growth of the zone for which it is designated, which may have it 6A. If it's determined that the area now zoned for AMCHS will not experience significant growth, then you don't have to spend millions of dollars expanding AMCHS (the existing CSHS facility) as is now contemplated. Once the new school is completed, re-purpose the existing AMCHS facility.

Oogway
That is an interesting idea, and definitely original. Would parents have a problem with the mascot colors etc being different?
Stupe
S
Quote:

If people are going to go through the expense of leasing a duplex/apartment to show as primary residence, and be that deceitful, you know their little Johnny/Jane is going to end up being an "outstanding" member of society no matter what school then end up in.
I agree with you. I'm not saying that it's ethical, but it gets done.

Stupe
S
Am I reading that correctly?

• All of the students that are at CSHS would go to the current AMCHS building, but it would be the temporary home of CSHS
  • The current CSHS building would be called AMCHS and the current AMCHS students would go to that building
  • Build another high school farther south, call that CSHS and the current CSHS building would be the permanent home of AMCHS and the current AMCHS building would be re-purposed

JimInBCS
Oogway said:

That is an interesting idea, and definitely original. Would parents have a problem with the mascot colors etc being different?
Shouldn't be something a few cans of paint can't fix. AMCHS keeps their mascot and colors, as does CSHS. Spend a few dollars repainting purple walls maroon...have the students do the work over the summer.

91_Aggie
AG
JimInBCS said:

Oogway said:

Shouldn't be something a few cans of paint can't fix. AMCHS keeps their mascot and colors, as does CSHS. Spend a few dollars repainting purple walls maroon...have the students do the work over the summer.

You are new here... CSISD needs $305,000 worth of spray paint to rebranding.

scs01
BigBubba said:

One item that was discussed is how past enrollment projections for CONSOL have come in below estimates while CSHS has come in above estimates.
It would be interesting to see a neighborhood-level comparison of the 2016 projections vs. actual enrollments at both schools to get a sense of where this happened--was it all rezoned neighborhoods, or certain ones that caused the shift towards CSHS? Might help them target better this time (maybe not, but it shouldn't be that hard to do a comparison).
JimInBCS
Stupe said:

Am I reading that correctly?

• All of the students that are at CSHS would go to the current AMCHS building, but it would be the temporary home of CSHS
  • The current CSHS building would be called AMCHS and the current AMCHS students would go to that building
  • Build another high school farther south, call that CSHS and the current CSHS building would be the permanent home of AMCHS and the current AMCHS building would be re-purposed

Yes.

For those that value continuity, and that a school is more than just a facility but a source of community, this seems like a better plan than splitting up existing zones.
PS3D
DontBeTriggered said:

Can't they just use vouchers and attend whatever school they would like?
No because then you'll end up with HISD problems, where the better schools get overcrowded (but more funding) while the worse schools end up closing down entirely. At some point they need to make a decision on how they want to do zoning moving forward, trying to bus people across town to balance out low-income students is going to be more and more unsustainable with every new school.

Stupe said:

They still haven't addressed siblings.

They won't, because the feeder patterns sometimes make it impossible to follow it. My brother and sister went to Oakwood and Willow Branch when they were 5th and 6th grade campuses, respectively, but by the time I reached that point, Oakwood had converted to a 5th and 6th grade campus that I was not zoned for, and Willow Branch had been converted to AMCMS, so I had to go to Cypress Grove.
SARATOGA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Lastly, they will also present an option that draws an east/west line straight across the middle of the district whcih sends all kids north of the line to CONSOL and south of the line to CSHS. This should be funny and is mainly being done just to show people how this is not an option.
EVA3 said:

Why not?
You will find out officially on Monday but my guess is because it would end up with 1400 students at CONSOL and 2400 at CSHS. Also, the ratio of low-SES students would probably be 40%-60% at CONSOL while CSHS would be 10%.

I've already given the answer to the "low SES" demographic problem. Number them from 1 - 500. Numbers 1-250 go to AMCHS, and numbers 250 - 500 go to CSHS. Balanced. Fair. Both attend great schools. Equal. Honest.

(No idea how many kids are on that list, but you get the point)

Unless they draw the line too far south where you hit actual CSHS walkers, like Barron, then why isn't drawing the line at Graham"ish" and having everything "Aggie North" of that be zoned to Consol. Take the numbers from there and grab a few neighborhoods west of Wellborn (all that over IGN, South Holleman down to until River Place, and grab a few easterly (of HWY 6) neighborhoods, down to maybe WDF and check the numbers again.

A North south line is the only reasonable starting point. Then use that as a jumping off point and make LOGICAL, and GEOGRAPHIC decisions from there.
02skiag
AG
Your low SES solution doesn't work because of bussing. That group, I assume, uses bussing more than others. You'd have to group those folks by neighborhoods so it's no different than what they do now.
Stupe
S
That's exactly why randomizing that group won't work. It has to be done in blocks for transportation.
Oogway
In looking at the Options, the west side in particular, one thing I would like to see the Board discuss is what effect, if any, the reclassification yard (aka the Union Pacific behemoth) might have. Union Pacific has mentioned in the past that their policy is if they open a new crossing, two must close. If one is living on the west side and the CoCS decides to open Deacon and close Cain (for example) then I speculate that a crossing further south would be on the chopping block. With rail traffic expected to increase in volume, heading north on some of the roads the city is working on (Holleman, etc) might enable drivers to utilize the overpass. (Not saying it would be easier, this is speculation and conjecture). Right now, it probably isn't that great of a wait time. But UP is hoping to have that yard completed by 2020. I have not seen exactly how many numbers they expect, but I know one thing: There will be trains.

Now, if those same homes were zoned for CSHS, it would still work--no train, then you cross and go to the school per usual. Or, you drive north and then head south. I don't remember where the layby track was going to go, but does that cause issues as well? Currently, the density of students out there doesn't seem all that great so maybe it's no big deal. Or maybe if the District bought land west of the tracks they figure to build there eventually and they and the city can raise $$ to build an overpass.

soso33
Can someone explain to me why CSISD does not go ahead with the third high school before the CSHS build out? It seems like we'd then be back to the ideal feeder pattern situation (intermediate, middle, and high schools, feeding into each other) and eliminate the main complaint that south CS folks are driving past schools. Just redo ALL of the zoning at that point and then build out CSHS as necessary.
birdman
Some people wondered why parents got so upset since "both high schools are great". And they usually mention that they are only a few miles apart.

The high school zoning is a mess. But it's the middle and intermediate school zoning that puts a bigger burden on families.

My daughter has to get on the bus before 7am. She gets off the bus after 5pm. That is absolutely ridiculous. And especially more ridiculous because you pass by three perfectly good intermediate schools along the way.

Any system that has 5th graders riding a bus for over 2 hours every day is complete garbage.
Ratsa
You must need a new GPS. I can't imagine how you are passing three intermediate schools on the way to an intermediate school when the district only has three of them.
Wicked Good Ag
birdman said:

Some people wondered why parents got so upset since "both high schools are great". And they usually mention that they are only a few miles apart.

The high school zoning is a mess. But it's the middle and intermediate school zoning that puts a bigger burden on families.

My daughter has to get on the bus before 7am. She gets off the bus after 5pm. That is absolutely ridiculous. And especially more ridiculous because you pass by three perfectly good intermediate schools along the way.

Any system that has 5th graders riding a bus for over 2 hours every day is complete garbage.

Not to mention if you have to get on the bus before 7am for an intermediate school why don't you (if you have the means) drive them to school ? They can take the bus home if that is an issue
Agmaker
Good questions. They're reluctant to bond now for new school. Since there is still some capacity they don't think the bond will pass. Three MSs and three HSs create an obvious feeder pattern, however, during the last rezone they (the Board Pres at that time) made it abondently clear they prefer to split each MS even if it's three MSs and three HSs. Which is a stuck in the 70's mentality. Though that Pres is now gone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.