CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,939 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sonar99 said:

I think someone mentioned this a while ago but what is holding us back from having back to having one high school.. have 9/10 at a school and 11/12 at a school.. we could just call them the cats and be maroon and purple.. other major schools have adopted and I know it would be a challenge with extracurricular activities..

Yeah, football is king in texas... doing that means you have 4000 to 5000 students vying for 22 starting positions in football... CS would probably have the best football team in texas as you wouldn't split up between two schools.

No one would go for that. Ship has sailed... never going to be about only "education" in the schools again.

scs01
Stupe said:

My point is that if they zone that area for Consol and are basing that decision on future students living there, it may not be an accurate prediction. If there is a house in Creek Meadows or Castlegate that is of equal size and price, which commute would do you think parents would choose?
The neighborhoods that can drive right across Fitch, or the neighborhood where they have to drive from Greens Prairie to 2818 / Welsh?

I think that these arguments apply about as well to any of the rezoning scenarios. Rezone any neighborhood to a place that seems disadvantageous to them and some fraction of the parents will figure out a way to send their kids to school where they want them to go. Option 3 has the advantage of sending more students to Consol and fewer to CSHS as compared to the other three plans, so there is at least a healthy buffer on facilities usage #'s to handle the eventuality that Margraves doesn't end up sending as many students to Consol as hoped.
Stupe
S
I think that you are complicating what I'm saying.

Scenario 3 zones that area for Consolidated based on projected population of a future development.
Under that scenario, they are taking those projected numbers into account in order to make the schools equal in population and demographics.
I'm saying that if that area is zoned for Consol when it is being developed and houses are being sold, there may not be a lot of families that want to buy there due to the commute. Why would they do that when they can buy a house across the street or farther down Greens Prairie and have a three minute commute?

If that happens, the projected student numbers from that area will be incorrect and would cause an imbalance. My entire point is that any scenario that involves that area being zoned for Consol is going to cause a problem down the road.

DontBeTriggered
If you're within 5 miles of a school, that should be the school you attend. Stop this nonsense CSISD!
Aggie1205
AG
MonkIsMyHero said:

If you're within 5 miles of a school, that should be the school you attend. Stop this nonsense CSISD!

Given that the two high schools are within that of each other, how does this work?
befitter
turnbotank said:

The problem is instead of zoning areas that make since, they are turning the district into a Frankenstein. So Why would they be after Indian Lakes, Saddle Creek, and Duck Haven when these hoods are so far south that the next street is literally zoned Navasota ISD? It's all just a money grab by consol staff and parents that feel CSHS has it better. Also look at where those on the board are zoned, and you will see it's almost 90% consol HS. Notice they want Indian lakes, saddle creek, and other higher value neighborhoods at THEIR SCHOOL- AMCHS! If they keep it up they will really kill the sense of community many have, and I predict most of the affluent they try putting the screws to might go the private route or move to a better administered district. Who would have ever thought Bryan, Anderson, and Iola could beat out CS and have better predictability?!
I've read all 3 pages and this is the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen regarding rezoning. Ever.
Stupe
S
What, specifically, is inaccurate about it?
befitter
The suggestion that "consol staff and parents" are doing a "money grab" and that 90% of school board is trying to get certain neighborhoods into their school (Consol) is ridiculous. People need to get a grip.
scs01
Stupe said:

I think that you are complicating what I'm saying.

Scenario 3 zones that area for Consolidated based on projected population of a future development.
Under that scenario, they are taking those projected numbers into account in order to make the schools equal in population and demographics.
I'm saying that if that area is zoned for Consol when it is being developed and houses are being sold, there may not be a lot of families that want to buy there due to the commute. Why would they do that when they can buy a house across the street or farther down Greens Prairie and have a three minute commute?

If that happens, the projected student numbers from that area will be incorrect and would cause an imbalance. My entire point is that any scenario that involves that area being zoned for Consol is going to cause a problem down the road.

I don't think I'm complicating what you're saying. ALL of the scenarios rely on projected numbers to make the schools equal in population and demographics. Sticking future development in the Margraves area at Consol may well make it less likely families will buy there so that there are fewer kids than projected from that area going to Consol. I agree. But the same is true of any of the areas under consideration. Families with school-age kids sometimes move out of neighborhoods, either to different homes in the same district or out of the district. They also make decisions about private vs. public vs. homeschooling vs. charters with zoning in mind. Zoning will impact all of these decisions, and it will impact who buys homes in these neighborhoods just as it will for a new development. And some of the other neighborhoods being considered for rezoning are still under significant development; Indian Lakes at least is (Nantucket not so much; I'm not sure about Duck Haven and Saddle Creek). So I think it likely that if you move these existing neighborhoods to Consol, you'll see fewer kids than projected actually showing up at Consol from them, same as for Margraves. There might be a larger error in the Margraves projections, but there is also a buffer in the numbers to account for it.
Oogway
Stupe, I think I understand what you are saying, but having served on one of those committees in the past, there is a limit (or at least there used to be) about how much projecting we were allowed to do. On the one hand, future growth absolutely has to be considered or the District ends up with the imbalances that lead to poor teacher distribution and morale. On the other hand, AggieMom_38 is right in that you must consider who is going to be attending the schools in the very [near] future.
If people move around it does affect the numbers, but while having developers and schools working together can be beneficial (in terms of capacities and so on) I don't think they should get too cozy.
Stupe
S
befitter said:

The suggestion that "consol staff and parents" are doing a "money grab" and that 90% of school board is trying to get certain neighborhoods into their school (Consol) is ridiculous. People need to get a grip.
Booster Club money and participation has been a huge issue with parents. You really don't think that's being taken into consideration?
SARATOGA
If there are 4 scenarios and my kid still goes to the same high school..... are there really 4 scenarios ?

Close Consol. Build a high school further out where the kids are. In fact, built 2.

STOP USING HWY 6 AS A BOUNDARY

txgardengirl
Saratoga - have about 90 million available to make that happen? Because I promise the bond won't make it.

That ship sailed when they built College View on prime property that could have been sold.
Oogway
IIRC, a sale was unlikely because of concerns relating to proximity to Oakwood Intermediate.

Before someone says why didn't they just sell the whole complex up there, I would imagine that would be due to the cost of new construction for a middle school, intermediate school, DAEP etc (meaning bond $$) probably would have been too high (well over a 100 million I would estimate) even with money realized from the sale. Especially since they had the CSHS bond and several elementaries built during those years.

It would have been interesting though....
AggieMom_38
You are absolutely nave if you don't think this is a money grab. My consol friends are foaming at the mouth with excitement for Map 1. There is literally a discussion about specific PTO moms that would get moved to Consol from CSHS. "So and so can be on our board..." When did we forget about the kids and the education? These parents are beyond belief. I am so glad to be nearly done with CSISD.
AggieMom_38
MTTANK
AG
My understanding is the emails the board has got is 10 to 1 for option 1. Majority of emails coming from the pebble creek area. Time to start sending some emails for option 3! They took the emial off the site a couple of days ago, conveniently. feedback@csisd.org
SARATOGA
Seriously, how much per property would it take to build a couple high schools actually down south where the kids are and where town is growing ? This isn't that hard and isn't that expensive in a grand scheme of things. Would a .10 increase to to the rate for CSISD do it ?

For all those houses down there with a (very conservative) valuation of 350k, you're looking at $350 a year to not have to drive all the way back into town your kids freshman/sophomore year, and to all activities and what not ? Also less time on the road for young drivers their junior and senior years

I'd happily pay another $350 a year in taxes to not drive past CSHS to attend AMCHS. And I don't have any problem with AMCHS other than its very north address.

Town is growing. The solution is obvious. Build schools here. Build schools now. Build the schools where the people are !
Stupe
S
MTTANK said:

My understanding is the emails the board has got is 10 to 1 for option 1. Majority of emails coming from the pebble creek area. Time to start sending some emails for option 3! They took the emial off the site a couple of days ago, conveniently. feedback@csisd.org
Where is your "understanding" coming from?
MTTANK
AG
They really don't even need another school yet, option 3 fixes the population for some time. If they were smart they would start working on an additional school towards the race track side of town. Smart districts that are setting up for future growth use additional schools for 9th grade centers for some time. Or we could just let them carve apart college station and try and bring consol back to its former glory....
txgardengirl
Guys - they already own land for HS3 - on Dowling on the west side of the tracks

Land acquisition (cheap land) is hard to find and there really isn't any on the East side.
Stupe
S
2B seems to be the one that makes the most sense out of all of these.
SARATOGA
Consol needs to be the new Lincoln Center or YMCA or some such other facility. Just because long ago some people built/paid for a school doesn't mean we have to hang onto it forever. The vast majority of school aged children live south of Rock Prairie road, and it will continue to trend that way.

The very first option that should be discussed is for every student to go to the CLOSEST school to their physical address. If one school is disproportionately larger, then build another school in (or south of neighborhoods) of where that schools population comes from.

For demographic issues (if you want to go there), assign students to be bussed out to other schools by random lottery..

Bus OUT, not IN

There is tons of land. I'm sure Wallace would be happy to carve off some racetrack acreage for a few million. There is lots of land south, maybe not cheap, but anything worth doing right isn't going to be cheap.

Oogway
SARATOGA said:

There is tons of land. I'm sure Wallace would be happy to carve off some racetrack acreage for a few million. There is lots of land south, maybe not cheap, but anything worth doing right isn't going to be cheap.

You are so eager to spend money then you go buy the land and donate it.
Oogway
I found it (the email) in the workshop meeting notes.
Wicked Good Ag
I think that people have to realize that no one solution will work. If you were to go to the closest school CSHS would be not at the 110% it is now but rather about 140% so all the people who want closest school need to expect 35 kids or more per class. Hope those who want that option like that demographic.
This rezoningis a thankless job to which is no longer a volunteer committee after the vitriol of the last go around.
I personally would love to see another high school built in the South and then make consol a freshman center and everyone has to drive that for a year maybe multiple years if they have a lot of kids then see how they complain
befitter
[We request that posters remain civil to each other when posting on this forum. We have removed your post and the posts that replied to you. Thank you. -Staff]
Rexter
Boardroom is getting filled with pitchforks for the meeting
bloom
Curiosity...have any of the proposals included moving Castlegate or Castlegate 2 (or a portion of those) over to Consol? It seems that the transportation involved in moving a large high density group would be more cost efficient than picking up smaller, less dense numbers of students scattered in "rural" type neighborhoods that are scattered all over South CS.
Leonidas
AG
bloom said:

Curiosity...have any of the proposals included moving Castlegate or Castlegate 2 (or a portion of those) over to Consol? It seems that the transportation involved in moving a large high density group would be more cost efficient than picking up smaller, less dense numbers of students scattered in "rural" type neighborhoods that are scattered all over South CS.
I have been wondering this myself for some time...
KaneIsAble
AG
Any updates from the forum tonight?
Stupe
S
Stupe
S
Quote:

Curiosity...have any of the proposals included moving Castlegate or Castlegate 2 (or a portion of those) over to Consol?
You want to solve the jigsaw problem by making more jigsaw pieces?
Stupe
S
I edited and replied to myself.
bloom
Actually thinking the jigsaw would be much simpler with one large piece from South CS (Castlegate/2) rather than multiple smaller pieces (part of Barron area, Indian Lakes, Saddle Creek etc). Can someone explain why moving Castlegate, or portions of it, will not work? Seems like it would cut way down on the bus routes and transportation costs. I do not have a child in school so I am viewing strictly as a taxpayer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.