CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,815 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
bloom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you feel that the cost/sq ft price differences are impacted in a significant way by the HS zoning? Are people willing to pay more to attend CSHS? I am genuinely curious, after reading these threads, whether Consol has items that can be solved with zoning or if they simply have issues with public perception or management that would be better addressed through other avenues. No kids in school, but I have been on both HS campuses and the student bodies seem very similar in their levels of engagement with the process. My curiosity is peaked, because I find it hard to believe everyone is arguing over the additional distance (everyone drove it for years, including IL/Castlegate) , or wanting their kids in a new facility. I feel like Consol is PERCEIVED (not that it does) to have issues that have nothing to do with location, building and that even with a balanced SES, parents prefer CSHS. Worked my entire life in marketing and this fascinates me.

Edit:I know the numbers need to be fixed to utilize facilities. It just seems (based on some comments on the board) that effective marketing and innovative programs might make Consol a highly desirable placement which would reduce zoning complaints and perhaps draw in voluntary transfers.
dallasiteinsa02
bloom said:

Do you feel that the cost/sq ft price differences are impacted in a significant way by the HS zoning? Are people willing to pay more to attend CSHS? I am genuinely curious, after reading these threads, whether Consol has items that can be solved with zoning or if they simply have issues with public perception or management that would be better addressed through other avenues. No kids in school, but I have been on both HS campuses and the student bodies seem very similar in their levels of engagement with the process.
I think you also have to subtract out the fact that new construction always tends to be higher than older neighborhoods that are in the same competitive market.
Agmaker
There's a reason the comparability data used is based on the numbers of those qualifying for free and reduced meals(ED). Once you start using anything else (demographics) you're getting into legal issues or prohibited areas to create comparability. The term demographics is being used (because it sounds nice) but that's really not what the dist/Board is trying to accomplish. All they're trying to do is separate groups by presumed wealth and that is what you are saying when you use the word demographically. Not saying it's wrong to do. But honestly, how many of each religion, ethnic origin, male/female, etc do we have at each school? Can't go there. I understand creating and providing opportunity for the ED students but this whole process every 18months is destroying this community. Misinformation, misunderstanding, poor planning, say one thing do another, use data when it helps don't use same data when its contrary to the objective. It's absurd. I'm so disappointed every time we do this.
Agmaker
Amen!
Nicely put.
CS78
Wendy 1990 said:

(example 1 - Pebble Creek Elem has had only 3 Kindergarten classes for a while). Homes in town are either being taken over as student housing or football rentals and there is limited or no new construction in these areas. More families are moving into the CSHS zone. There is a reason why square footage is cheaper in Consol's zone vs CSHS's zone.
Does bring up a good point. The government can try to force people in to their mold but given a little time the market will always win. Involved parents will always seek out what they feel is best for their children. Unfortunately, we are allowing the current overlords to wave their reset wand any time they like.
ChiefHaus
Bloom,

People moving to CS check websites like greatschools to get ratings on local schools. That website has Consol rated as a 6 and CSHS as an 8. It is the website linked to zillow.com and the 3 min it took to find it is all I spent.
I have no idea how they figure ratings, but a wavetop look from the outside says one school is higher than the other. I do not believe the two schools are very different as far as education goes other than the separate tracks they have for certain careers.

edited for spelling
scs01
bloom said:

Do you feel that the cost/sq ft price differences are impacted in a significant way by the HS zoning? Are people willing to pay more to attend CSHS? I am genuinely curious, after reading these threads, whether Consol has items that can be solved with zoning or if they simply have issues with public perception or management that would be better addressed through other avenues. No kids in school, but I have been on both HS campuses and the student bodies seem very similar in their levels of engagement with the process. My curiosity is peaked, because I find it hard to believe everyone is arguing over the additional distance (everyone drove it for years, including IL/Castlegate) , or wanting their kids in a new facility. I feel like Consol is PERCEIVED (not that it does) to have issues that have nothing to do with location, building and that even with a balanced SES, parents prefer CSHS. Worked my entire life in marketing and this fascinates me.

Edit:I know the numbers need to be fixed to utilize facilities. It just seems (based on some comments on the board) that effective marketing and innovative programs might make Consol a highly desirable placement which would reduce zoning complaints and perhaps draw in voluntary transfers.
A few comments here. First, to me the district has done an effective job at marketing what is actually there in the sense that I believe that my kids will get a great education at either school. One of ours decided to attend Consol out of zone to get something they can't get at CSHS, and we had no hesitation in letting them. Consol continues to thump CSHS on numbers of National Merit Scholars, for instance, in spite of the SES balance being what it has been. But the marketing approach the district has taken to the issue is to say that both are great schools with comparable programs, so it shouldn't matter which you attend. The logical response is that yes, both are great schools, but if it's going to cost me more to attend Consol in the way of increased travel times and broken continuity with no benefit to our kids, why would I want to do that?

As for innovative programs, the district hasn't taken that approach much in the high schools, and that's what's really lacking, not marketing. Marketing won't help much if the product isn't different. Until now it's all been about both schools being great and giving the kids roughly the same things. Maybe the size of the district has made magnet programs, etc., less practical, but I agree that they might be better off differentiating the schools a little more.

Two comments about history--first, because we're in a growing neighborhood many of us moved into IL when it was zoned to CSHS, so we there isn't a memory of it being otherwise. Secondly, in the past this hasn't just been about high school zoning. In the 2016 go-round many on the board pushed to rezone IL/Nantucket to Oakwood/AMCMS in addition to Consol, with some hints and rumors of elementary rezoning to Pebble Creek as well (we'll see in the fall...). I don't have enough history to know, but I doubt IL has ever been zoned to Oakwood/AMCMS as a developed neighborhood. The travel costs would have definitely been higher for us than just high school rezoning would be. We moved into IL with a reasonably convenient school situation given the type of neighborhood we're in; no school is more than about 10 minutes away. Moving to Oakwood/AMCMS/AMCHS would have basically doubled our travel time to all of the post-elementary schools and spread the kids out all over town. Would it have been completely unmanageable? Probably not, but if you do the math it's clear there would have been a noticeable difference.

There has been a response from some in the community that we shouldn't have any expectation of convenience because we chose to live in the type of neighborhood we do. "You live in Indian Lakes, you must like to drive!" was one comment I heard in 2016, and there have been some similar sentiments in this thread, people saying you don't live on acreage lots for convenience, etc. When we moved in we looked at the tradeoffs between convenience and other factors and found them to be reasonable, just like anybody in any neighborhood does when deciding where to live. I don't welcome negative changes in the balance between those issues, and I especially don't welcome others telling me that I shouldn't care if school days become more hectic for our family because I chose to live where I do. I pay taxes like the rest of you, for crying out loud. In watching the 2016 process I felt that there were some board members who preferred to just completely ignore travel times unless they could do everything they wanted to do--not just the things the district needed to do--before looking at travel times. So, there is a history to this and some wariness on the part of some parents.

Standard caveat applies here--I know the board is looking at tradeoffs, has real issues to deal with, etc. I frankly don't have much opinion about what they should do in the current situation. Just trying to explain a point of view.

Oogway
I agree with you, even though we made the opposite choice- to go for the long term convenience of living closer in to work even though at the time we moved here everyone was saying go south. I was sympathetic to the travel times for IL parents back in 2016 and still am up to a point; I don't disagree necessarily that proximity is desirable for parents but I know there are trade offs and compromises with all of this. There have been in the past, and I sometimes wish other parents who went through this before would chime in-how did it turn out five years down the road; okay, bad, great? Heck, does anyone remember how many times (schools) Woodcreek(?) got rezoned for? Those were crazy times for colleagues that lived over there. Our friends moved out of state, but they had an elementary aged child during that time and I think he went to two or three schools.
bloom
Thank you. I will look this evening to see if the greatschools data will tell me why the two schools are rated differently.

What I am truly interested in is why people who already live here seem to rate CSHS higher. Consol may have slightly higher low SES, but they also seem to (on average) have a larger number of Natl Merit students. Doing an informal poll today of locals (CSISD consumers) I encounter to see which HS they they prefer and why. Honest answers (they know I will not "out" them) have been very interesting. I know that time on commute matters to everyone, but the 2 HS are not that far apart (now that commute to Oakwood/AMCMS would be a PITA for anyone south of 2818-I can see why everyone hates that zoning). Has CSISD ever asked South College Station parents what would make them willing/want (or at a minimumnot mind) to drive a few more miles to get to a certain school? They do not have to take away from CSHS, just enhance Consol in the areas parents and students report they care about and/or feel (perception matters) CSHS is currently outperforming Consol
Vulcan
Why are we bound to Templeton demographics, especially if there numbers were so off last time? Can we get a 2nd opinion? Even insurance companies make you get more than one estimate!

Wish they would have made Consol like a 4A school and CSHS something completely different, like 6A. Then there wouldn't be all this pettiness/competitiveness. We could all be happy for each other.
RGRAg1/75
AG
This school district is hung up on perception. They want everything to look/feel/smell the same. The newest middle school will be over capacity in their second year, but they didn't want it to be any bigger (perception is better?) than the others.
UmustBKidding
No clue maybe low bid. For years Population and survey analysts, Pat Guseman here in college station were considered the "experts". Looks like they still have lots of big clients, maybe CSISD is to small. Seems like lots of schools in Tempelton's back yard use PASA here in CS for their planning.

Did some code long ago in regard to zoning and learned lots of why I don't want it as a job. Things like having long bus rides are likely tied to rules I saw where districts wanted to only bus students the fed would subsidize the cost. If you are more than two miles away they had to provide transportation, but if more than 5 the gubment would help pay for the trip. The facts are in the quest to make everything equal and collect the largest payments you end up making everyone mad.

AggieMom_38
basketaggie said:

In August of 2016 the estimated numbers for the schools for the following school year (2017-2018) were:
Consol: 1965
CSHS: 1873
According to the new slides, the actual attendance for the high schools for this year (2017-2018)
Consol: 1713
CSHS:1996

and in case you don't want to do the math
Consol was under the estimate by 252
CSHS was over by 123

This is the link to the final plan in Sept of 2016 that went into affect fall of 2017. It shows the expected attendance for both schools until 2024/2025:
https://1.cdn.edl.io/MVY3jYcWvrXDrKhWwymXy2CWJwdozGV6yFcFWBiqfeP9ybYf.pdf

I put all the info in a table from the previous rezone and expectations to what is being presented now.
For instance, let's look at 2021-2022
Consol: ....................... CSHS
2016 rezone: 2216 .......................................... 2289
Plan 3B: 2095 ................................... 1964
Plan 2B+ 2099 ................................... 1960
There is a bit of a difference in the new charts because of the 3rd- College View and the alternative school. In 2021-2022 that equals 150 students. Based on the charts in the 2016 rezoning the estimated the amount of high school students would be 4,505. In the newest charts 4,209

This is amazing to me. Does the board have no memory? There's only one board member new since that time. But looking at the report, it's like they are fully forgetting or ignoring the info and plans of 2 years ago. Yet what is shown in the 2016 data means they had planned to bond this year and also that they forecasted even more students at CSHS by now (so why are they freaking out now? To appease a vocal group of parents?) in addition to the points several of others have pointed out that despite getting it wrong time and again they keep doing it (I think that's the definition of insanity). No wonder so many people have no trust and faith in the board or the administration and why so many people are shocked by this rezone. There is no doubt in my mind that they need to stop, take a breath, and figure things out. Otherwise, as many keep saying, the district is going to be back at this same place in a year or two and all those kids being affected (and the neighborhood wars being created) will be for nothing.
TAMU1990
AG
bloom said:

Consol currently has a program where they give real estate agents tours of the school, discuss what the school can offer, etc. There have been real estate agents who have steered people away, intentionally or not, with just small comments like "you really want to be in the new school zone" or "everyone is going here now", etc. If you live east of 6 you accept the fact that it will take longer to sell your house than if you live west of 6. Several have moved to be in a new school (all of the new schools K-12 are in one zone); others went to Brazos Christian (which saw their enrollment explode since 2010). It's really simple - the board in 2010 created the demand by zoning originally an "inner city" school, which is laughable because College Station is so small, and a "suburban" one. CSHS was built to be a smaller school but they did not zone it correctly to be one. Consol was almost 2800 before the split in 2012. CSHS should of been the 4A and Consol the 6A. It's why we are here arguing over moving more southern neighborhoods into Consol that should of never left in the first place.

And I have to add, people use driving as a defense to stop their area from being rezoned. The community has to stop using 6 as a dividing line between the thought if you live east it's ok for you drive vs if you live west it's ok that you don't want to drive. And I mean west to the county line - I'm not singling out IL.
AgGirlCO95
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!
It was so obvious from the get go that the capacity issues at CSHS would be where they are today. I'm sorry people feel they are being "punished" by having to go to Consol, but there is no way to fix this problem without taking kids south of Fitch.
befitter
Oogway said:

I agree with you, even though we made the opposite choice- to go for the long term convenience of living closer in to work even though at the time we moved here everyone was saying go south. I was sympathetic to the travel times for IL parents back in 2016 and still am up to a point; I don't disagree necessarily that proximity is desirable for parents but I know there are trade offs and compromises with all of this. There have been in the past, and I sometimes wish other parents who went through this before would chime in-how did it turn out five years down the road; okay, bad, great? Heck, does anyone remember how many times (schools) Woodcreek(?) got rezoned for? Those were crazy times for colleagues that lived over there. Our friends moved out of state, but they had an elementary aged child during that time and I think he went to two or three schools.
I'll chime in on that. When my oldest child(Consol class of 08) was in 4th grade at PC, we passed a bond and Cypress Grove on Graham Rd. was built. We lived on the East side of the bypass on acreage across the street from Wood Creek. Getting to Cypress Grove for 5th-6th grade and CSMS(on the same street I actually lived on) was going to be easy peasy. But....we were zoned with Wood Creek to go to Oakwood and AMCMS across town. We thought this was going to be AWFUL!!! It wasn't. My son enjoyed all 4 years trekking across town to the "old schools". It was FINE. In fact...because Cypress Grove was built so small, Oakwood seemed enormous. As it is today....the teachers at all the campuses were and are excellent.

My youngest after we moved in 2013(not because of school zoning)....attended Cypress Grove and CSMS and is now at CSHS. He will be a senior when this goes into effect so it will not affect him. That said.....my family has survived so many rezonings I can't keep track. Yet everyone is fine.....despite having to separate from certain friends due to zoning. It's CS...you will see them anyway if you want to. It's not hard.

Ohh....the biggest problem we have now is the Consolidated graduate having a hard time wearing Purple to watch his little brother play football.
Oogway
That bond election was based on both schools being over or close to 2000 students at each school though, according to the slides that basketaggie posted. If both schools were at 2000 students today, the community might not be so reluctant to fund phase 2.
aggielawyer00
AG
For those requesting the numbers of those attending the school they are not zoned for, be sure to include the number of students who were granted a transfer for no good reason at all other than their parents threw a big enough fit
AgGirlCO95
Shhhhhh........ Oakwood is the best kept secret in town! Ha! Couldn't agree more, at first I thought it was ridiculous I was going to have to drive twice as far to get to the two schools on Holik versus the other two closer to me but it's not bad at all and well worth the drive because my kids love OW and AMCMS and are doing just fine. Wouldn't want it any other way.
Oogway
Our family has attended the four oldest int/middle schools and like you said, it went fine. Actually, the hardest one was elementary because those really are quite a bit smaller and do have a neighborhood feel. Since the Board is trying to keep current high schoolers at their school and rezone 8th and under, while I know some will be unhappy if they do undergo a rezone, I don't think it would be as bad as pulling groups of students out of high school.

Wendy- you mentioned Brazos Christian, which reminded me of something my spouse has always wondered why is there no College Station Catholic school? We might've explored that option (not in my background, his)
MTTANK
AG
I spent some time looking at TEA's regulations and policies for the schools it controls and funds. I did not see a single thing about making schools have the same percentage of free lunch or ses students, not even a mention of "demographic" guidelines or goals. I did see a bunch of good stuff about additional funding for disadvantaged schools, tons of grants related to helping schools that needed it. After researching it was pretty clear what csisd is doing is not for the state or the powers that be. It is simply for csisd administration, not the kids. I called and talked to a couple of different department heads at TEA and confirmed everything I read. This "demographics" zoning is nonsense, straight from the horses mouth. How exactly does it help a free lunch student by bussing them to another school where the majority of the kids they grew up with through school will not be? If I were on a free lunch program as a kid, I would sure prefer to be zoned to a school where more friends were on the same lunch plan as me. How does it help doing the same to a non free lunch student? Is there research that shows a better education from sending a child that is not a free lunch student to a school with more free lunch students? Is this some form of osmosis I'm unaware of? It does not help anyone but the district to shift these kids all over the place. We might as well be trying to equal out our students hair colors. It is simply not how a district is supposed to zone. I will say demographics do matter in certain extreme situations, but we are not anywhere near that here in cs. This is not Compton we are talking about.
GIG 'EM
threecatcorner
ZFG said:

I think this is probably why city council positions are by district (zoned areas of town) so no one area is at the mercy of the other & there is representation from the interests of all areas.

City Council positions in College Station are all at large. The "place number"s are totally meaningless because they can live anywhere they want as long as it's in College Station and there isn't a particular councilperson for a particular part of town like there is in Bryan.

I don't know if anyone has looked to see where city council people live, but there is not a certain person elected by or assigned to any neighborhood, so if you have an issue you want addressed, there isn't really a person you can go to as representating you any more than any of the others.
TAMU1990
AG
Oogway said:

Our family has attended the four oldest int/middle schools and like you said, it went fine. Actually, the hardest one was elementary because those really are quite a bit smaller and do have a neighborhood feel. Since the Board is trying to keep current high schoolers at their school and rezone 8th and under, while I know some will be unhappy if they do undergo a rezone, I don't think it would be as bad as pulling groups of students out of high school.

Wendy- you mentioned Brazos Christian, which reminded me of something my spouse has always wondered why is there no College Station Catholic school? We might've explored that option (not in my background, his)
I don't know - cost would be the main issue I think. They have a day care that isn't big (i.e., they don't have a lot of kids). I guess the demand wasn't there.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Agmaker said:

There's a reason the comparability data used is based on the numbers of those qualifying for free and reduced meals(ED). Once you start using anything else (demographics) you're getting into legal issues or prohibited areas to create comparability. The term demographics is being used (because it sounds nice) but that's really not what the dist/Board is trying to accomplish. All they're trying to do is separate groups by presumed wealth and that is what you are saying when you use the word demographically. Not saying it's wrong to do. But honestly, how many of each religion, ethnic origin, male/female, etc do we have at each school? Can't go there. I understand creating and providing opportunity for the ED students but this whole process every 18months is destroying this community. Misinformation, misunderstanding, poor planning, say one thing do another, use data when it helps don't use same data when its contrary to the objective. It's absurd. I'm so disappointed every time we do this.
This is one of the most comprehensive and concise summaries I have seen. You pretty much capture all the correct data, truths and emotion of this issue...well stated!

The saddest part is this "socialism experiment" is truly eroding the fabric of this great community. As one person recently put it, "it feels like there is a depressing haze lingering over CS, that we're all having to learn to exist in, because of a few persons political agendas."
BrightAggie2003
AG
Perhaps this article can shed some light on the importance and benefits of economically diverse schools.

https://tcf.org/content/report/how-racially-diverse-schools-and-classrooms-can-benefit-all-students/
scs01
BrightAggie2003 said:

Perhaps this article can shed some light on the importance and benefits of economically diverse schools.

https://tcf.org/content/report/how-racially-diverse-schools-and-classrooms-can-benefit-all-students/
Interesting reading. I stopped at the umpteenth appearance of the word "choice"--as in, successful districts are using choice to achieve socioeconomic and racial integration. Ours, in contrast, is trying to achieve it by telling kids where they have to go. I agree that our district is trying to accomplish more or less what many national experts recommend. But they aren't doing it HOW successful districts are, from what I can see.
bloom
Great article! This is what I have been struggling with-why would CSISD choose to go old school (pardon the pun) and push bodies around rather than create demand so the bodies CHOOSE to move schools or at a minimum the families can see reasons to be OK with being forced to move campuses.

What interested me in the zoning debate originally was that the presence of the new Charter in CS pushed CSISD and BISD into holding open houses to show parents what each "offers". CSISD went small scale on their sales pitch, just kindergarten I believe, but BryanISD held a great program that seemed to encompass K-12. I think the district will do better creating choice and drawing students to campuses when the HS are in different UIL classifications. If you are selling two apples you don't want one to be shinier than the other. Give them an apple and an orange to sell and I think they will be fine......assuming they choose to make the effort to create unique products, each with its own strong appeal.
Stupe
S
Outstanding post.

My main issue with the "demographic equalization" that the district is trying to manufacture is that it seems to be more of an attempt to hide or spread out low scores instead of helping the students change their attitudes towards academics.
Ratsa
Stupe said:

Outstanding post.

My main issue with the "demographic equalization" that the district is trying to manufacture is that it seems to be more of an attempt to hide or spread out low scores instead of helping the students change their attitudes towards academics.
What do you think is more likely to change students' attitudes towards academics: putting them together in a classroom where everyone comes from a family that has no one that ever went to college, so all that they see are people similar to themselves, or putting a mix of kids together where they can see a multitude of attitudes towards academics?

Getting an education requires hard work and determination. If role models around you aren't putting high academic expectations on you, most kids will take the easier route. And one teacher cannot change a student's attitude if the teacher is advocating hard work and effort for a payoff 10 years in the future, if everyone else around that student isn't putting those same expectations on the student.
Stupe
S
Quote:

What do you think is more likely to change students' attitudes towards academics: putting them together in a classroom where everyone comes from a family that has no one that ever went to college,
That is not the case at either high school. It wouldn't be the case if they rezoned the CSHS areas north of 2818 to Consolidated for the time being, either.

I grew up in what would now be classified as a 70 / 30 high school and the bottom line is that students are either going to be serious or they aren't. There were kids from every economic standing that took advantage of their education and kids that didn't.
Cherry picking housing zones to try and force that attitude isn't addressing the basic attitude of the family.
MTTANK
AG
Ratsa said:

Stupe said:

Outstanding post.

What do you think is more likely to change students' attitudes towards academics: putting them together in a classroom where everyone comes from a family that has no one that ever went to college, so all that they see are people similar to themselves, or putting a mix of kids together where they can see a multitude of attitudes towards academics?

Getting an education requires hard work and determination. If role models around you aren't putting high academic expectations on you, most kids will take the easier route. And one teacher cannot change a student's attitude if the teacher is advocating hard work and effort for a payoff 10 years in the future, if everyone else around that student isn't putting those same expectations on the student
Again, we do not live in Compton! Consol is not anywhere near having "a classroom where everyone comes from a family that has no one that ever went to college"! What the district is doing is 100% not about helping any of the students at all. It is 100% about helping the administration of the district. They are trying to balance wealth, and its a fools errand when it comes to zoning schools. Everyone has talked about how consol's academics are better on paper than cshs, over and over on this board. I would not have a problem with my child going to either school, for the record. What I do have a problem with is the district drawing an embarrassing school zone map that splits up the community, and makes a mess of everything. This about our community and its kids, not the districts misguided "demographic" agenda.
GIG 'EM
ZFG
First let me clarify that I am not a child psychologist or an expert in education. I am not trying to argue your opinion just replying to your comment with an alternate point of view.

First of all, the makeup of College Station is such that having a school made up entirely of economically disadvantaged students would never happen...as one poster mentioned "this isn't Compton."

My question is, why not consider that those students in question might do better in an environment where they are competing with more of their peers from the same background? Would they feel more comfortable and be more motivated to succeed when they had more students from similar backgrounds in their classes? Does being in a class with more students of "privilege" (financial, parental support, tutoring opportunities, etc) dampen their spirit from the beginning by giving them the attitude "there's no way I can compete with these kids because they are going to do better than me no matter what?"
02skiag
AG
Can you expand on how a "community" going to different schools is an issue? Having folks you can sit with at lunch time? I personally see the whole city as one community. I guess it helps if you're doing sports with others located throughout town.

We will have 3 middle schools which means the middle one will be split the most. I'm not seeing the heated complaints from those folks.

If you get rezoned there will still be plenty of other kids your child knows and they will make new friends, perhaps better friends than they had before. Extra curricular start to play a much larger role in friendships in high school than who you played with in elementary school.

Mine has lost several friends from entering intermediate and through the last rezoning. While it's tough to say goodbye new and better friends have been made since. I guess I just don't understand this "community" aspect you refer to.
techno-ag
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

Oogway said:

I don't know - cost would be the main issue I think. They have a day care that isn't big (i.e., they don't have a lot of kids). I guess the demand wasn't there.
There's an incredible amount of history with the Catholic families in Bryan, going back to the 1800s. That's not going away any time soon.
Wicked Good Ag
MTTANK said:

Killeen/Heights area are of very similar population numbers to BCS. Both have 4 high schools between them. Killeen has also seen similar growth over the years in comparison to BCS. There were only 2 high schools when I went, and those two were a map that made sense. It was re zoned 2 times in 20 years. When hs 3 and 4 were built, it was rezoned one time in the next 20 years. I would expect CS to have many more scholars, and perform much better than in Killeen. CS is one of the most educated cities in the nation per capita, its the population not the school board. Then again maybe you should call Killeen and tell them to chop the district up and start bussing students all over the place, that way they will have tons of national merit scholars. I have not said one bad thing about any neighborhood, demographic, or donor. Feel pretty good about not breaking any windows. This is not a rich vs poor (btw, I am far from rich) or a south vs north problem. This is a school district ripping up a great community trying to cook the books or "demographics" at consol, this is a wrong vs right. Zone a district in a way that makes sense so our families can have some continuity!!!

You can't compare the Killeen area with BCS in terms of education because B/CS are two different ISDs. Rezoning sucks people. It is a necessary evil when growth occurs and when growth occurs at this rate then those changes have to occur more frequently especially when growth is occurring everywhere but near one of the two high schools. I have watched this thread carefully over the last few weeks and I will say many on here have some great ideas and options but there are also many on here who are taking it like it is being done personally. The growth of this town can be seen as you look at the number of new businesses being open at a rate I have never witnessed since college here at TAMU

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.