CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,902 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Why would CG or CGII be considered as an option?

Most of the people that bough there did so because of the houses and the proximity to the high school giving them a walk / bike option.

I don't agree with people in Saddle Creek or Duck Haven getting rezoned, but walking or biking to school wasn't high on their priority list when they bought out there.
MTTANK
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

ZFG said:

If the charter school is such "good news" why does CSISD keep downplaying it and casting it in a negative way?
I said good news for TAX PAYERS. I am for education options and vouchers. I know most people in education are for the public model. The charter school should give the schools some relief from overcrowding. A charter school isn't for my family (and we will remain in the district), but I recognize that it could be a good option for others.
Don't celebrate this too much Wendy. While the board can't accommodate students or families with our tax dollars, they might find some more "creative" ways to burn through it. I'm thinking a double down on the college view campus, or some more "rebranding" dollars are far overdue. It will give schools relief from the "overcrowding" we are dealing with thanks to the school boards long history of embarrassingly missed projections and leadership. We are now a charter family, and from the other charter families I have met I don't know that CSISD should be celebrating. Its pretty eye opening to see all the top notch parents and kids that were not even rezoned that are done with districts "demographics" crusade. People want continuity, not to be disciplined through zoning for being rich or poor.
GIG 'EM
ChiefHaus

I stand corrected, after watching the video they did speak about CG I moving instead of the midtown walkers. Nobody checked to see how many walkers there are, but the 1/3 of a mile proximity from CG I entrance to the tennis courts was reason enough to dismiss this option as well as the fact that it breaks up CG. There is consistency in their thought process.

They had an agenda to even out the schools and they did so. End of story, no grandfathering to skew the numbers like 2016. If they are correct and there is no rezone until the 3rd HS then they got it right. I hope they got it right I hope the growth is even between the two schools.

I believe we will be back here again in 3-5 years, I hope I am wrong and the board is right.
Oogway
In fairness, they are opening schools a lot- one intermediate this year, one ms next year and elementary #10 next year so if you have kiddos in multiple grades then there is a chance people might get moved.

However,
"There's no rhyme or reason on why we pick on some kids but not others. If we get it WRONG, and have to rezone 2 years later, we should be kind to students like these 58 8th graders and let them off the hook. "

I agree, with this. Sometimes there is a reason, but I am not always in agreement with the SB and Administration in their implementation nor their consideration of the ramifications of that. I applaud their fiscal concern for the tax burden, but yes, having been on the end of those type of changes before, they could have done this way better.

As far as wrong-headed, they could have done this better six + years ago with some of those undeveloped tracts and the committee and SB punted then. At least then the folks that have moved here since would have known where they stood.

Edit-clarity
Stupe
S
Looking at options that aren't reasonable options is a waste of time.

Why should they have spent valuable time discussing something they knew they weren't going to do at this time when they had plenty of other ways of messing with families that they needed to discuss.?
befitter
MTTANK said:

All they are asking for is a fair chance to voice their concerns for being rezoned. They were not in the maps to begin with, and were added late in the debacle. The average individual does not have time to attend every meeting the school has. Most people put trust in the school district to do whats right for their kids, up until now anyways. Considering that rezoning creek meadows has a direct impact on those families and students, they should have had the chance to speak in an open forum. Why pay taxes if not? Who works for who here? Hard to see why anyone would not be for creek meadows to have a chance to provide input in the open forum, unless they are connected to a self serving agenda(school board). I can guarantee you that no real human(school board does not count as a human at this point)on either side of this zoning nightmare thinks that 8th graders should not be grandfathered!
I live in a neighborhood(not Creek Meadows) that was added in with 2b Plus. Yet, I knew this was on the table for the last 2 weeks and have been paying attention. It's been on the website since the workshop link where it was proposed. I haven't attended a single meeting or workshop either, yet I'm informed. The opportunity to provide feedback has also been on the website for weeks....as well as information on grandfathering. This is not the End Times for 58 8th graders. It's life. And life doesn't always seem fair.

There is no self serving members within this school board and each one of them are indeed human.
befitter
marriedtoanag said:

Isn't that what IL did? Hire an attorney, pull a few records and ask some questions? They aren't the ones being bused across town now.
Maybe they did. I don't know. If they did, that was wrong as well.
JR Ewing
AG
If any of the options had included Creek Meadows or Estates of Creek Meadows in the four initial options which were presented for consideration in the public hearing, then the feedback would have been loud. Our neighborhoods quit looking when they excluded any changes to CG or CM in the original options. The mere fact that they did not allow our neighborhoods to be included in the first opportunity to discuss this in a public forum (last night when they voted) discriminates on my rights as a taxpaying voter to express my views on an item which affects my three children. No matter how you spin it, proximity should be priority number one in the district boundaries, and if the methodology we expected to be used wasn't, then at the very least, we should be afforded the opportunity to speak publicly as a group who is directly affected by this who has not had the opportunity to give feedback publicly.
birdman
Maybe the board did a favor for the 14 year old students. Usually, you have some age and experience before you realize and understand that politicians only care about themselves. The students in College Station learned the lesson early.
befitter
MTTANK said:

befitter said:

MTTANK said:

All they are asking for is a fair chance to voice their concerns for being rezoned. They were not in the maps to begin with, and were added late in the debacle. The average individual does not have time to attend every meeting the school has. Most people put trust in the school district to do whats right for their kids, up until now anyways. Considering that rezoning creek meadows has a direct impact on those families and students, they should have had the chance to speak in an open forum. Why pay taxes if not? Who works for who here? Hard to see why anyone would not be for creek meadows to have a chance to provide input in the open forum, unless they are connected to a self serving agenda(school board). I can guarantee you that no real human(school board does not count as a human at this point)on either side of this zoning nightmare thinks that 8th graders should not be grandfathered!
I live in a neighborhood(not Creek Meadows) that was added in with 2b Plus. Yet, I knew this was on the table for the last 2 weeks and have been paying attention. It's been on the website since the workshop link where it was proposed. I haven't attended a single meeting or workshop either, yet I'm informed. The opportunity to provide feedback has also been on the website for weeks....as well as information on grandfathering. This is not the End Times for 58 8th graders. It's life. And life doesn't always seem fair.

There is no self serving members within this school board and each one of them are indeed human.
Befitter, I think you might want to get some more board members involved on your behalf here. Not sure if your pebble creek or a consol principal, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows your stance here. You are the only person that has been a member on texags longer than a month that just negates anything against the school board. I do appreciate your effort, nonetheless. I'm sure you are crushed about these 8th graders and your community's pain through all this.
Nope, not an educator. As I mentioned previously, I've been through numerous re-zonings in this district. I don't need board members involved on my "behalf" because it's not about me or the neighborhood I live in. Your right, the constant berating and attacks of volunteer board members should be negated.
MTTANK
AG
[We have made it clear that posters will be polite or banned. - Staff]
PS3D
I think this has been mentioned before, but who or what is feeding CSISD bad numbers that they have to constantly change zoning maps with little regard to who goes where? I remember back in 2003-2004 the CSISD actually proposed a plan that would add sixth grade to the middle schools, add fifth grade to elementary schools, and convert the two intermediate schools to elementary. The plan was very unpopular (I'm not sure if this was an alternative to Forest Ridge, or the plan post-Forest Ridge) but I'm at a loss as to how they could justify making Oakwood elementary since so much of that area was and is student rentals.
George Costanza
The problem is these 8th graders have been on a purple or maroon track for years now. That will not be the case for the current 7th graders with the addition of the 3rd middle school next year and the split among each of those schools to the high schools. The 8th graders should be grandfathered.

If you still want to fight this you need to email the board members and superintendent directly ... don't use the feedback email ... and show up in mass to the next board meeting.
MTTANK
AG
Do not be fooled into thinking the bad numbers are coming from the demographer they pay. They are manufacturing numbers to reflect their agenda. The numbers they used to rezone were based on IF NO STUDENTS WERE GRANDFATHERED AT ALL. Wesson was made aware of this fact, and changed the subject quickly by saying lets just use the map for this. This is not about numbers or helping tax payers. This is about zoning more rich students to Consol, and bussing all the poor kids they do not want away from Consol. Wesson and Harris are the ring leaders in this dog and pony show. Now they are breaking their promise at the last zoning meeting and forcing these poor 8th graders to go to a different school.
GIG 'EM
Aggie7477
AG
Where are you getting all of your "facts"? Some of the things you suggest seem quite outlandish in my opinion. Would love to see some proof of your accusations.
Oogway

Edit-post is referring to something no longer in the thread chain. Feel free to delete.
Wicked Good Ag
JR Ewing said:

#Fateof58

When you say the fate of the 58. Don't you really mean the fate of 58 that are going to Consol from previously CSHS. What about the others that are previously zoned for Consol and now are going to CSHS or does that not matter? Because if it doesn't matter of those then the idea of the fate of 58 is honestly an elistest thought. More than 58 are affected but people are focusing on the ones that get the "bad school" and should have gotten the "good school".

I think they should have grandfathered as well and disagree with their ruling but the Fate of 58 is elitist and self serving to not include all that are affected
csnole
Why are you stirring the pot? Nobody said anything about bad school good school except you and furthermore you are insinuating that by actively fighting for what they feel is right for their kids education is elitist? What is your beef?

BTW The 58 kids have not been named - do you even know that it doesn't included Consol kids?
AggieMom_38
You are absolutely right! And yes, this movement DOES include those kids. 58 is the net difference 8th graders being rezoned. It gets a bit messy with numbers - that's why we should be focusing on kids not numbers. I am helping someone to compile the list of kids (those being carved out to CSHS from AMCHS included). That's what is so wonderful about this #FateFor58 - it's about the kids (all kids!) not just one school vs. another. I love that this is bringing our community together!! And it's amazing that these parents at CSHS immediately thought about the effect on the low income AMCHS kids. This started Friday. So proud of this community!
Oogway
csnole said:

Why are you stirring the pot? Nobody said anything about bad school good school except you and furthermore you are insinuating that by actively fighting for what they feel is right for their kids education is elitist? What is your beef?

BTW The 58 kids have not been named - do you even know that it doesn't included Consol kids?
This is from poster, Kraut, on the 'grandfathering' thread:

Quote:

"Grandfathering incoming 10th and up:
School Year 2019/20 2020/21 2021/22 2022/23
Consol # ... 1906 ...... 2048 ...... 2255 ...... 2375
CSHS # ..... 2039 ...... 2011 ...... 2038 ...... 2191

Grandfathering incoming 9th and up:
School Year 2019/20 2020/21 2021/22 2022/23
Consol # ... 1848 ...... 1991 ...... 2197 ...... 2375
CSHS # ..... 2097 ...... 2069 ...... 2096 ...... 2191

The 58 number is derived from subtracting the 2039 from 2097 at CSHS I believe.

WoodAg
Thanks Aggie mom....I spent a few minutes trying to write about the net difference concept. Once done I had even confused myself. You were able to do it in 10% of the words!
Wicked Good Ag
That is my point. There are more total kids that are being affected. The net result is 58 more to Consol from CSHS.

THE FATE OF 58 should be changed to reflect all that are going to be changed not the net amount.

I am not saying that one school is better than another. Hence the quotes. I have no problem with either school at all. I just think people are saying 58 are affected when it is much more if you count the Consol to CSHS kids in the net difference

To use the 58 it makes it seems 58 kids are being "hurt" when if changing schools due to being rezoned makes it feel only the NET 58 are to be cared for when it should be all that are affected. To only look at 58 (the difference) is discounting those going to cshs from Consol. Why isn't the fate of 87 or 91 or 103 or whatever the number is ?
AggieMom_38
Yes! But let me say it in a few more words. There are X number of kids being moved to CSHS, Y number of kids being moved to AMCHS, and this leads to 58 kids fewer at CSHS in 2019. So there are more kids affected than 58 (I don't have those numbers handy right now), but it results in a whopping 58 kids less at CSHS and 58 kids more at AMCHS in 2019. A crazy thing is some of the kids that are being moved from CSHS to AMCHS are low income /free lunch kids! So they are moving some low SES to CSHS and some low SES to AMCHS. Come on board - stop the madness!!
AggieMom_38
Yes, you are right. MORE kids are being affected with only a net "benefit" to capacity of 58. Honestly, how the numbers works gets confusing to the community (it is to some/most of us on this forum that have been very informed/staying on top of things). So the #FateFor58 is really about the net effect of this decision by the board. yes, MORE kids are being affected by being shuffled around. I'll work on getting those exact numbers showing how many kids and which way. The board has been cryptic about it. Wasn't until they voted on the boundary adjustment map (!!) that they were even willing to show the actual numbers that reflected HS kids being grandfathered. Up until then (again, after the vote), the numbers were padded to imply more would be moved than actually would given current HS student grandfathering
DontBeTriggered
Just let kids go to the school they wish to. Quit this nonsense.
Wicked Good Ag
DontBeTriggered said:

Just let kids go to the school they wish to. Quit this nonsense.

That makes no sense. What district with multiple high schools does that ?
TAMU1990
AG
In reality, it's closer to 200 total kids

128-70=58
Wicked Good Ag
Thanks Wendy. I didn't know the exact number but I knew it was more than 58 affected
AggieMom_38
Got the numbers... 88 from CSHS to AMCHS, 30 from AMCHS (Anderson) to CSHS. Net 58. So 118 kids affected for a net effect of 58 (and CSHS remains over capacity regardless). Lots of kids affected, little benefit to anyone.

And the bus transport issue... does anyone know if the board plans to provide transportation starting in 2018 (which I believe is at a cost of 100k/year)? I ask because many of the kids being shuffled (particularly those moved to CSHS from AMCHS) would likely need busing. So if they want to start in 2018 as the district has so graciously offered, they would need busing to allow that early start. Or is there no transport being provided for these rezoned kids in 2018 which will mean most/many have no choice but to start at one school and then switch Sophomore year.
Wicked Good Ag
CSHS was going to remain over capacity regardless. However if you look at PROJECTIONS which may or may not come to be then the shift will occur gradually until CSHS is ready to expand then next step is the third HS.
I hope everything works out for the kids that are switched up. Ours was not effected due to rezoning although she is in the group of only 18% roughly that went to CSMS and now to Consol.

And I hope a lot of misinformation that we have gets corrected in the future for whichever side it affects as it is important to have the correct information and not conjecture or opinion based upon misinformation
Oogway
Really, it might help your cause more if you focused on kraut's bottom chart (if those #'s are the forcast for the final zoning option; whatever that was, option x). The numbers go down the following year since 7th can't grandfather and then equalize the following year when the bond should be put up for voting.

As long as the folks in CSHS zone know they will be crowded and put up with it, it really shouldn't be all that big a deal because the # doesn't change the outcome by much. Now, if people start to fuss about it being crowded, then they should just transfer north. This is one time when the SES #s really shouldn't be that big a deal because the % is pretty small isn't it?

Edit
Sorry, missed reading the post above mine.
TAMU1990
AG
AggieMom_38 said:

Got the numbers... 88 from CSHS to AMCHS, 30 from AMCHS (Anderson) to CSHS. Net 58. So 118 kids affected for a net effect of 58 (and CSHS remains over capacity regardless). Lots of kids affected, little benefit to anyone.

And the bus transport issue... does anyone know if the board plans to provide transportation starting in 2018 (which I believe is at a cost of 100k/year)? I ask because many of the kids being shuffled (particularly those moved to CSHS from AMCHS) would likely need busing. So if they want to start in 2018 as the district has so graciously offered, they would need busing to allow that early start. Or is there no transport being provided for these rezoned kids in 2018 which will mean most/many have no choice but to start at one school and then switch Sophomore year.
I distinctly remember 70 as the number for Anderson - maybe that is two grades? Are you sure on that number? The board wanted 100 kids net per grade going to Consol.
Oogway
Sorry for the double post, but after reading my reply I realized my intent may not have been clear, which is:
Regardless of SES status, the # of students affect net or otherwise is probably not great enough to have changed the outcome of capacity issues to a breaking point . So, let the students either decide or grandfather or whatever.

Edit-nvm, Wendy1990 types fast so it wasn't a double post but y'all get the idea.
AggieMom_38
Got the numbers from Chuck (a friend asked for them last week and just forwarded to me). 70 must be both 7th and 8th (that would make sense if 8th is 30)? But who know - numbers have been so all over the place, with even capacity at the schools changing since last fall. Now I'm worried about the math my kids have learned in CSISD schools (ack!)

Edit to add: Oogway, couldn't agree more. Not sure why the board dug their heels in on this one.
Oogway
I think some of it is discovering the context. When I served on an elementary rezoning committee, I thought tables, charts etc could have been labeled more clearly. We were always having to ask, "what does 'x' include?" to make sense of the numbers because they fly at everyone so fast.

I do think though that the 8th graders should be considered as a cohort and not broken down into income status simply because this is one time when all of them should be considered together. It may help avoid some of the rich vs poor talk that gets thrown around. The % have been shown are so low as to not trigger that FC Local thingy so no one is harmed either way IMO unless there are transportation issues that need to be addressed. Regardless, if folks are wanting them to reconsider the whole issue, they will need to get on with it as quickly as possible because the school year will end in a month.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.