CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,797 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hendo said:

Two questions for clarification.

What and when is a bond hearing? It is my understanding a bind is not being considered because of the room at Consol. A decision I agree with because I don't see a way a bond would pass.

For oogway or Wendy. Not which mentioned the 8th graders but I thought they were the issue. The current 9th graders do stay. At the forum it was my understanding that they were talking about incoming 9th graders. Did I miss that?
The board puts together a bond package for the voters to consider - meaning how much would your taxes go up to build new schools, buy technology, remodel existing ones, etc. They go on a ballot usually in May or November.

Yes, they are talking about current 8th graders and down.
Stupe
S
Quote:

So the problem isn't right now, it's with what the board can reasonably predict will happen down the road.
And we all have a lot of faith in their ability to do that since they did such a great job last time.
Agmaker
The timing of bonding versus new space being available (3yrs+/-) is known. Thanks for reminding us. I think what many are scratching their head over is that in 21/22 school yr projections CSISD will be over capacity and then that's when they decide to bond.
AggieMom_38
Just saw a screen shot from another message board that the board/admin has been using and relying on numbers that DO include all current HS students moving if rezoned. The word is that now that they understand what these numbers included, they will revise and start again. Why oh why didn't the board push to understand what was included in the numbers and Why were the numbers presented this way? Not sure how anyone can trust the decisions being made at this point. Good luck kids!
TAMU1990
AG
AggieMom_38 said:

Just saw a screen shot from another message board that the board/admin has been using and relying on numbers that DO include all current HS students moving if rezoned. The word is that now that they understand what these numbers included, they will revise and start again. Why oh why didn't the board push to understand what was included in the numbers and Why were the numbers presented this way? Not sure how anyone can trust the decisions being made at this point. Good luck kids!
This is incorrect. Look at the handouts on the csisd website - it has the number of kids to start in 2019. Those numbers would include this year's 7th and 8th graders. They are not revising any numbers - what they are doing is asking for is more options.. If you watched the video they are asking for variations of the 4 options listed. They will do that again - asking for more variations after next Monday's meeting as well. The options listed are a starting point. They asked to also see options that included more neighborhoods east of Wellborn - Castlegate, Creek Meadows, etc and the smaller neighborhoods along Wellborn. They will be taking neighborhoods in and out of options for weeks. No need to get all excited just yet.
AggieMom_38
Nope, at least one trustee has verified that the numbers in fact included current 9-11th rezoned for 2019. They had to have been off - not enough kids in those areas to only be 7-8th grade for 2019. But keep the faith

Edited spelling and to add: But, yes, it was also noted that there are other options to be explored (this was reported in the Eagle too). But, again, numbers shown so far have included rezoning current CSHS students.
AggieMom_38
https://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1128215&type=d&pREC_ID=1398925

Although understandably they don't state that their numbers were the issue
TAMU1990
AG
I looked at the link and I don't understand what you are saying. The board is announcing the zones effective in 2019. This will be current 7th and 8th graders who will be 9th and 10th graders in 2019. The current 8th graders can go ahead and start at their new HS in 2018. You need to reread that grandfathering paragraph.

If you look at the handouts about 200 kids from the west side would move under option 1. That would be approx 100 per grade. There is no way that is the total population of current CSHS students on the west side.
91_Aggie
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

I looked at the link and I don't understand what you are saying. The board is announcing the zones effective in 2019. This will be current 7th and 8th graders who will be 9th and 10th graders in 2019.

The current 8th graders can go ahead and start at their new HS in 2018. You need to reread that grandfathering paragraph.

If you look at the handouts about 200 kids from the west side would move under option 1. That would be approx 100 per grade. There is no way that is the total population of current CSHS students on the west side.
I might be jumping into something you are asking to happen instead of what is happening, but the bolded part above is confusing me.

Zones change in 2019.

Current 8th graders (who will be freshman in fall of 2018, this year) are going to the current high school as far as I know.

So is the bolded part something new that came out of the recent meeting, or something you are just hoping they will do?
kraut
AG
Quote:

POINT OF CLARIFICATION REGARDING GRANDFATHERING: There is some confusion making its way around the community regarding grandfathering. The current recommendation would allow all CURRENT high school students to remain at the high school to which they are zoned now. The new attendance zones will not take effect until the 2019-2020 school year, meaning current 9th and 10th graders would have the opportunity to grandfather when they are juniors and seniors in 2019-2020.
https://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1128215&type=d&pREC_ID=1398925

But don't worry, you can go ahead and enroll your upcoming freshmen in the new school - just get back to us later when we figure out who's getting rezoned.
Agmaker
Go to the video link to the April 4th meeting. Listen to the conversation starting at Minute 9:20. It further muddy's the water but listen closely to Ealy. He clearly states that the numbers do NOT contemplate grandfathering. They will need to back grandfathering out of the numbers.
https://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1128215&type=d&pREC_ID=1399043

Oogway
In the past committees I served on (mostly elementary it seemed like grandfathering was something the administration didn't talk about unless it was brought up by parents or board members (which naturally it was). I think but am not positive that grandfathering was worked out prior to the presentation to the public when CSHS opened.

At one hearing I attended a few years ago there was a parent who pretty much wanted to continue grandfathering until their entire family was through, although most folks are usually content with making sure the students closest in age to the grades relevent to a new school are included.

As far as the board and numbers and asking questions, I realize it is frustrating to parents, but keep in mind that those members do get a lot of info thrown at them from various people: admin, demographers, parents, etc. I think most of them are trying to sift and winnow as quickly as they can, but what seems obvious to one person may not be to another. Whenever I email my concerns and comments, I tried to number and bulletpoint my key questions and concerns for fast readability. I figure they receive a lot of correspondence and that doesn't include things related to their day job.
Stupe
S
April 4th

Start listening at the 1:16 mark.

Wesson actually says at that part that "none of us pictured after the 2016 rezoning that we would be right back here"

Maybe nobody on the board, but most of the community did because they were basing it on "potential" growth. And here they are, doing that same thing again.
Stupe
S
They still haven't addressed siblings.
Agmaker
I agree with all of that. It is important for some on here, however, to clarifying what is included or not included in the numbers.
AggieMom_38
Wendy - Argue all day what you believe or are surprised about the numbers in low density areas (I'm done after this) but it has been confirmed. They were including all current CSHS students (for that year - such as 2019) within a zone in the numbers. It doesn't matter now because they now realize it and won't be doing so moving forward (let's hope!). They have now clearly said they will grandfather current HS students (although this wasn't stated before - prior poster is correct if you listen to the workshop). I've also seen an email where this was still stated as unclear as of last week. But now that they've been pushed, they've said it. That's great. I just personally am bothered by the lack of transparency and/or perhaps questionable competence. But that's me - doesn't have to be your feelings too.

And, yes to prior posters, it's still presumed they won't grandfather 2019 Freshman. This is all separate from that.
Stupe
S
Quote:

They asked to also see options that included more neighborhoods east of Wellborn - Castlegate, Creek Meadows, etc and the smaller neighborhoods along Wellborn.
If they start splitting Castlegate and or Creek Meadows all that it's going to do is insure that the streets that are zoned for Consolidated will be tough sells to families. Nobody is going to buy a house in that area that is zoned for the Consolidated commute.

Which means their "projected numbers" will be off. Again.
kraut
AG
AggieMom_38 said:

Wendy - Argue all day what you believe or are surprised about the numbers in low density areas (I'm done after this) but it has been confirmed. They were including all current CSHS students (for that year - such as 2019) within a zone in the numbers. It doesn't matter now because they now realize it and won't be doing so moving forward (let's hope!). They have now clearly said they will grandfather current HS students (although this wasn't stated before - prior poster is correct if you listen to the workshop). I've also seen an email where this was still stated as unclear as of last week. But now that they've been pushed, they've said it. That's great. I just personally am bothered by the lack of transparency and/or perhaps questionable competence. But that's me - doesn't have to be your feelings too.

And, yes to prior posters, it's still presumed they won't grandfather 2019 Freshman. This is all separate from that.
According to that link, they aren't grandfathering 2019 sophomores either...
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

They asked to also see options that included more neighborhoods east of Wellborn - Castlegate, Creek Meadows, etc and the smaller neighborhoods along Wellborn.
If they start splitting Castlegate and or Creek Meadows all that it's going to do is insure that the streets that are zoned for Consolidated will be tough sells to families. Nobody is going to buy a house in that area that is zoned for the Consolidated commute.

Which means their "projected numbers" will be off. Again.

I hope that's the case. I would take that commute to console all day long for cheaper housing prices due to your lower demand.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
I don't have children at either of these schools but after reading all of these replies I'm curious why people don't want their kids to go to Consol? Are there problems there? Is the education not the same quality? Truly curious why so many people are trying to avoid going there if the schools are so close geographically.
halibut sinclair
[You ignored the previous warnings given directly to you and the warning on this thread. - Staff]
Rexter
freshfrenchfryfanatic said:

I don't have children at either of these schools but after reading all of these replies I'm curious why people don't want their kids to go to Consol? Are there problems there? Is the education not the same quality? Truly curious why so many people are trying to avoid going there if the schools are so close geographically.

It's not the school itself. It's the commute time, and having to pass one school to go to the other. It's also the constant re-adjustments. I went to Klein schools, and I don't remember any adjustments other than when a new school opened.
Stupe
S
freshfrenchfryfanatic said:

Either your reading comprehension skills need work or you are just trying to stir up trouble.

Nobody on this thread has said anything about Consolidated being a bad school. The concerns that parents have are continuity, bus travel times, and proximity to schools.

If anyone has said anything about Consolidated being a bad school then quote the post.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
I'm sorry you took offense. I never said Consol was a bad school - just asked if there were issues or concerns.

I really don't know much about these issues beyond the info in this thread. The only thing that I am familiar with is the proximity of the schools - they seem like they are quite close together (but I'm from Houston so it's all relative I suppose). I guess it seems like the only people that are upset are the ones that would have to "commute" to Consol. Have there been complaints about people that would drive past Consol to go to CSHS? We have friends that are looking to move to the area and didn't realize that this was such a big issue.
Stupe
S
Who's offended?
You made an inaccurate statement and I addressed it.
Quote:

Have there been complaints about people that would drive past Consol to go to CSHS?
Look at the maps that are linked on page 1.

There are only a couple of areas that are north of Consolidate that have students going to CSHS and they aren't going to change because they are lower SES neighborhoods that balance out demographics. Yes, there have been complaints, but the school board doesn't care how much of a burden they put on those families.
BigBubba
AG
They discussed bus travel times in the workshop meeting on 4/4/18.

The south end neighborhoods (Indian Lakes, SaddleCreek, etc) that are being considered for rezoning to AMCHS, if your area is rezoned to AMCHS then your bus travels will GO DOWN. That's right, down. The buses in those neighborhoods currently carry 5-12 grades on each bus. If they rezone the area, they plan to split the bus routes and have a 5-8 grade bus and a 9-12 grade bus. The means each bus only goes to one school and should improve your bus times. If they don't rezone your area to AMCHS then your bus time don't change.

BigBubba
AG
One of the main topics that will be debated at the next workshop on 4/9/18 is whether it is more important to preserve the walk-ability for kids currently living near CSHS vs not increasing the drive time for people in the south neighborhoods. The board seems to realize that they can't do both and they want to debate and hopefully agree on which method they prefer to focus on when viewing the different rezoning options.

Based on various comments in the meeting, I think they are really concerned about trying to preserve the walk-ability for those kids near CSHS. One of the board members mentioned she actually went to those neighborhoods and watched how many kids walked and she was surprised how many actually did. When you also consider that the bus times are going to improve for the south neighborhoods if they are rezoned, I think it is going to be an obvious and quick debate for the board. The only downside for the south neighborhoods is that they will have to drive 3 miles further to AMCHS if they are a car rider and this seems like a fair option when compared to telling kids that currently can walk to get on a bus.

Either way, if this is important to you and you want to be heard, I suggest you send you comments to feedback@csisd.org before the next meeting.
Agmaker
You have some good discussion points. Particularly bus times. Driving, on the other hand, is an issue. Most have more than one child and are not just driving to the HS.
There's no easy answer to this. They will start from scratch next week anyway since now they know the numbers they've been using are wrong.
TAMU1990
AG
91_Aggie said:

Wendy 1990 said:

I looked at the link and I don't understand what you are saying. The board is announcing the zones effective in 2019. This will be current 7th and 8th graders who will be 9th and 10th graders in 2019.

The current 8th graders can go ahead and start at their new HS in 2018. You need to reread that grandfathering paragraph.

I might be jumping into something you are asking to happen instead of what is happening, but the bolded part above is confusing me.

Zones change in 2019.

Current 8th graders (who will be freshman in fall of 2018, this year) are going to the current high school as far as I know.

So is the bolded part something new that came out of the recent meeting, or something you are just hoping they will do?

Regarding the bolded part - the board made this statement when they decided to rezone in February. Current 8th graders will have a choice to either go on their own to their new HS as freshman or wait for transportation their sophomore year.

They also stated if a current HS student whose neighborhood was rezoned (and they wanted to switch schools) they could do so. The board also acknowledged that they expect few takers on this option. But they wouldn't tell them no.

I also get the impression that grandfathering won't be completely settled until the end of this process.
BigBubba
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

Regarding the bolded part - the board made this statement when they decided to rezone in February. Current 8th graders will have a choice to either go on their own to their new HS as freshman or wait for transportation their sophomore year.

They also stated if a current HS student whose neighborhood was rezoned (and they wanted to switch schools) they could do so. The board also acknowledged that they expect few takers on this option. But they wouldn't tell them no.

I also get the impression that grandfathering won't be completely settled until the end of this process.
These suggested grandfathering options were discussed in the workshop last month but nothing is official yet. They hope to be generous with the grandfathering but I also get the feeling they won't make any decisions regarding grandfathering until the very end of the process.

The current numbers that are being shown in all presentations do NOT take into account grandfathering. They want to decide on rezoning areas first then look at how generous they can be with grandfathering and see what affect it will have on the numbers.
BigBubba
AG
Staff will be preparing multiple additional rezoning options to be evaluated at the next workshop on 4/9/18.

One item that was discussed is how past enrollment projections for CONSOL have come in below estimates while CSHS has come in above estimates. With this in mind, staff will prepare a couple of the new options that will move more students to CONSOL than the original 4 options presented to help ensure we are moving enough students. Two of the options that will be shown are:
  • Option 2b with Nantucket and Indian Lakes added
  • Option 1 with the Margraves development added

Other options that got mentioned and will be presented at the next workshop:
  • Adding Brentwood and Tuscany to any plan that includes Saddle Creek area since all have to come up Wellborn anyways
  • One or more options that include Creek Meadows
  • Option 2b with Brentwood and Tuscany but removes mid town area
  • Any other options staff feels should be considered.

Lastly, they will also present an option that draws an east/west line straight across the middle of the district whcih sends all kids north of the line to CONSOL and south of the line to CSHS. This should be funny and is mainly being done just to show people how this is not an option.
BigBubba
AG
I have watched all the board meetings and workshops in which rezoning has been discussed and here are my general thoughts on what the final map will look like.
  • The area between Anderson and Texas will get rezoned. This is the most obvious piece since this is needed to balance low-SES.
  • The walkers will win. I don't believe they will rezone anybody that can currently walk to CSHS. None of the areas inside of Graham/WDF/Highway 6 will move.
  • They will move SaddleCreek area or Indian Lakes area, but not both. If they took both, the perception that it is a money grab to get all the rich kids at one school will be a factor and they don't want that perception.

If somebody gave me decent betting odds, I would bet the final map includes:
  • Everything west of Wellborn road (e.g. SaddleCreek)
  • Brentwood, Tuscany and other areas that must come up Wellborn
  • Some or all of CreekMeadows
  • Not Indian Lakes/Nantucket

It is still very early in the process but this is just the feel I get based on the reality of what needs to happen to meet the goals.
EVA3
AG
Quote:

Lastly, they will also present an option that draws an east/west line straight across the middle of the district whcih sends all kids north of the line to CONSOL and south of the line to CSHS. This should be funny and is mainly being done just to show people how this is not an option.

Why not?
EVA3
AG
LOYAL AG said:

I grew up military and attended 10 grade schools. I know what it's like to start over. I got quite good at it having had to do it in the middle of 2nd, middle of 3rd, middle of 5th (twice), before 8th and in the middle of 10th grades. But it's no fun particularly when you haven't ever had to do it. To a 16 year old forcing them to change schools to a campus where they have no friends is not really going to be much different than forcing them to move from one state to another because dad got transferred.

Phi will be along directly to call you a snowflake and say you need counseling.
BigBubba
AG
EVA3 said:

Quote:

Why not?
You will find out officially on Monday but my guess is because it would end up with 1400 students at CONSOL and 2400 at CSHS. Also, the ratio of low-SES students would probably be 40%-60% at CONSOL while CSHS would be 10%.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.