CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

102,803 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
Expert Analysis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oogway said:

You might be surprised to learn that some of the District's biggest donors don't necessarily live in large houses; so when throwing rocks, be careful you don't break a window.

Maybe the people in big houses paying $10k in CSISD taxes, dont feel they need to donate to the school....

I would just like to see an extended plan with the rezoning issues. Last time they had no plan. They may have more clarity on expanding CSHS and building the 3rd HS, but they need interim zoning plans to account for major developments and other growth. It is beyond stupid to have to rezone the year after new zoning goes into effect. If they anticipate possibilities of needing to rezone quickly with various plans, then they need to make that known, and provide plans to address those issues.
MTTANK
AG
Killeen/Heights area are of very similar population numbers to BCS. Both have 4 high schools between them. Killeen has also seen similar growth over the years in comparison to BCS. There were only 2 high schools when I went, and those two were a map that made sense. It was re zoned 2 times in 20 years. When hs 3 and 4 were built, it was rezoned one time in the next 20 years. I would expect CS to have many more scholars, and perform much better than in Killeen. CS is one of the most educated cities in the nation per capita, its the population not the school board. Then again maybe you should call Killeen and tell them to chop the district up and start bussing students all over the place, that way they will have tons of national merit scholars. I have not said one bad thing about any neighborhood, demographic, or donor. Feel pretty good about not breaking any windows. This is not a rich vs poor (btw, I am far from rich) or a south vs north problem. This is a school district ripping up a great community trying to cook the books or "demographics" at consol, this is a wrong vs right. Zone a district in a way that makes sense so our families can have some continuity!!!
GIG 'EM
TAMU1990
AG
You can not compare The Woodlands to us. They are 90% white with about 60% of residents with 6 figure incomes. They have two high schools - each well north of 3000 kids. I think TWHS is over 4000; College Park is smaller.
MsC2012
AG
Which is what they did for the first class at CSHS. My brother did freshmen year at Consol and had to move to CSHS. (I know it's not the exact same) which is why I don't think they'll allow 8th graders to grandfather.

If they do allow it I doubt anyone moves their kid from CSHS to Consol. I could be wrong.
Oogway
Did you happen to see the data when they did east/west lines with north going to Consol and south going to CSHS? The first option, RP road, had Consol staying basically stagnant with so little growth it wouldn't be over 2000 students 10 years from now. Meanwhile, CSHS would be at 2300 next year. The other option had a line a little further south but that resulted in Consol being over capacity in two years and at 40% economically disadvantaged. Overcrowded and with a percentage of low SES students that made the difference between the two schools something like 27%.

The weird shape of the District, the influence of the way TAMU housing has grown, the flood plain, and rapid growth and development have the Board scrambling to try and keep the schools comparable because it really can improve long term outcomes. It isn't a money grab, and CS has been zoning and rezoning for years, but I have to admit I can't wait until they are built out and people will wonder what all the fuss was.
MTTANK
AG
Help Improve what? Does it really help the individual kids being moved either way?? There is no way I will buy that. The only thing it helps is the district to massage numbers at individual schools. In this case Consol is the school they are trying to profile neighborhoods for. This is the kind of thing I would expect to happen if I lived in California, not College Station. Here are the districts in texas with two high schools that are in the top 100 scoring schools. I found more, but the maps were not pdf or easily readable. I was only able to find one out of all of them that was barely hacked up, but might have just been me understanding the map. Pay particular attention to some of the schools that were kind enough to even post flow charts for its schools:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1xKbeEmsAkAJvNtNFLhemzdJmBGs&hl=en&ll=33.02850880945563%2C-96.52799248695374&z=12
https://www.wylieisd.net/cms/lib/TX01918453/Centricity/shared/documents/Wylie%20ISD%20Feeder%20Pattern.pdf

http://www.boerne-isd.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_291745/File/Parents/Attendance%20Zones/BISD_HS-MS_zones.pdf
http://www.boerne-isd.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_291745/File/Parents/Attendance%20Zones/BISD_Feeder_Pattern.pdf

https://1.cdn.edl.io/c6V2rzuHsfVYqdKtSkd8Oo0EKU1XZsibHXivauS2LQbacpQt.pdf
GIG 'EM
02skiag
AG
MTTANK said:

Help Improve what? Does it really help the individual kids being moved either way?? There is no way I will buy that. The only thing it helps is the district to massage numbers at individual schools. In this case Consol is the school they are trying to profile neighborhoods for. This is the kind of thing I would expect to happen if I lived in California, not College Station. Here are the districts in texas with two high schools that are in the top 100 scoring schools. I found more, but the maps were not pdf or easily readable. I was only able to find one out of all of them that was barely hacked up, but might have just been me understanding the map. Pay particular attention to some of the schools that were kind enough to even post flow charts for its schools:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1xKbeEmsAkAJvNtNFLhemzdJmBGs&hl=en&ll=33.02850880945563%2C-96.52799248695374&z=12
https://www.wylieisd.net/cms/lib/TX01918453/Centricity/shared/documents/Wylie%20ISD%20Feeder%20Pattern.pdf

http://www.boerne-isd.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_291745/File/Parents/Attendance%20Zones/BISD_HS-MS_zones.pdf
http://www.boerne-isd.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_291745/File/Parents/Attendance%20Zones/BISD_Feeder_Pattern.pdf

https://1.cdn.edl.io/c6V2rzuHsfVYqdKtSkd8Oo0EKU1XZsibHXivauS2LQbacpQt.pdf

We get it, you don't want to be rezoned. Complain all you want but CS will factor in demographics regardless. I'm not sure what the issue is in understanding why it's important for them to do so.
ZFG
I have thought about this too and I think that is a big part of the problem! How can anyone in the CSHS zoned areas have any faith in the "trustees" of the school board when 5 out of 7 of them have kids/homes in the areas zoned to Consol? It's human nature to look after your own best interests and when you have the majority vote on your side, it's very easy to do so. (Note: I am NOT passing judgement on the integrity of any of those board members. Just stating that they can pretty much do whatever they want and when anyone is given that power it would be hard as a parent not to put it to use for the sake of your own kids. That being said, I know they must struggle with that moral dilemma and they have to bear the weight of the community's judgement of their decisions.) I think this is probably why city council positions are by district (zoned areas of town) so no one area is at the mercy of the other & there is representation from the interests of all areas. As CSISD grows, we as a community may need to think about the pros and cons of that And explore if whether or not to get the school board transitioned to that type of representation instead of "at large" as it currently is.

As another poster mentioned, they are "cherry picking the top neighborhoods" (and those that are on the farthest edges of town) and I think that just shows that the intentions aren't solely based on balancing low SES and capacity issues. If it was, there would be other options being considered that included neighborhoods in other price ranges, that were geographically closer or with easier access to major roads to AMCHS. In case anyone missed it, no option like that is being presented at this point! Every option being considered includes either the Saddle Creek area or the Indian Lakes/Nantucket area being moved.

If the true goal was to balance both schools and make sure they are equally successful and outstanding, it would be in THE BEST INTEREST OF EVERYONE IN THIS TOWN, to not only balance low SES but also consider comparable composition across the board! This would mean considering the balance of the number of high property value areas and mid-range property areas at each school. AMCHS already has plenty of high property value areas in their zone. If they take any of those areas away from CSHS, they will end up with AMCHS having lots of high property value areas feeding into it and CSHS with significantly less of those. If balancing low SES is so important, wouldn't the opposite be true? Wouldn't both schools benefit in terms of fundraising, booster clubs, etc if SES Was more balanced across the board? I say balanced across the board because I realize that ALL parents want to do what they can to help their children & their schools. That being said, monetary contributions and parent involvement (volunteering, PTO involvement, etc) isn't exclusive to the highest priced neighborhoods. Every parent that "helps" the schools, whether it be in investments of time/service or monetarily is a value to the schools regardless of their address or income level! Both schools currently have a similar makeup of high property value as well as acreage/estate type areas, it seems that in order to not upset that balance, they need to consider mid-range valued areas in their rezoning plans.
techno-ag
AG
Oogway said:

The weird shape of the District, the influence of the way TAMU housing has grown, the flood plain, and rapid growth and development have the Board scrambling to try and keep the schools comparable because it really can improve long term outcomes. It isn't a money grab, and CS has been zoning and rezoning for years, but I have to admit I can't wait until they are built out and people will wonder what all the fuss was.
Nailed it.
Stupe
S
If the district and teachers as a whole are so good, why are they working so hard to make sure that the demographics equal out?

A lot of the same people saying "Why worry about where they go to school, they are both great" are the same people saying "We have to make the demographics even so every kid has an equal chance"

If the district is great...which I think it is....why the need to put so many people at odds just so everything looks equal on paper?

Quote:

According to their presentation, there are around 400+ students in CGI/CGII/Brewster.
Quote:

I don't see it fluctuating enough to warrant ruling out this neighborhood as a consideration. Is walkability preferable enough to overide the ability to add ~400 students as a group? Not my call, just think it should be tossed into the ring for now.
You keep saying "what is best for the kids" and then you think it's ok to just mass switch and affect 400 + kids instead of a few.

I have two questions for you:
- Do you have kids that are or will be in high school?
- Do any of the plans have a chance to impact where they would go?
Stupe
S
MTTANK said:

Help Improve what? Does it really help the individual kids being moved either way?? There is no way I will buy that. The only thing it helps is the district to massage numbers at individual schools.
That depends on which side of their mouths the "It doesn't matter which high school they go to but we have to make sure that it look good" crowd is talking out of.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

MTTANK said:

Help Improve what? Does it really help the individual kids being moved either way?? There is no way I will buy that. The only thing it helps is the district to massage numbers at individual schools.
That depends on which side of their mouths the "It doesn't matter which high school they go to but we have to make sure that it look good" crowd is talking out of.

Well they are both good because of the balance. Take the balance away and that will no longer be the case.
Stupe
S
If the teachers are good at both schools, which is what makes a school district bad / good / great, then every child has an equal opportunity when they walk through the doors.

A teacher that spoke at one of the hearings two years ago said it perfect: It's not where they come to us from that is important, it's what they leave with that is important.

If high school aged kids don't take advantage of the opportunity that they are given, put the blame where it belongs: The kids and the parents. Personal responsibility and economic standing are two different things.
Stupe
S
And, I don't think that the Nantucket / Indian Lakes / Duck Haven / Castlegate or any other neighborhood that is going to CSHS right now should be rezoned.

We know expansion to CSHS is going to happen
We know a third high school will be built.

Get rid of the CSHS pockets north of 2818 for the next few years, see where development goes, and then do a long term zoning plan.

Stop doing this crap every couple of years just to satisfy a manufactured number.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

If the teachers are good at both schools, which is what makes a school district bad / good / great, then every child has an equal opportunity when they walk through the doors.

A teacher that spoke at one of the hearings two years ago said it perfect: It's not where they come to us from that is important, it's what they leave with that is important.

That's all well and good but if the schools are not even demographically then which school will attract and retain the better teachers? Which school will have families moving away from it?
Oogway
Quote:

I don't see it fluctuating enough to warrant ruling out this neighborhood as a consideration.

I brought this neighborhood (CG et al) because in all the talk about bringing in students from far flung areas, it had not been mentioned even though there was a large enough group of students there that it might possible to alleviate some of the growth problem. This is a discussion forum, so I threw it in the ring to discuss the pros and cons. Walkability, like you mentioned. Or bussing as someone else mentioned. Or is that too many students and so on. I am not supreme ruler where I get to decide, nor do I wish to be, although I did notice that Saratoga's east/west line issue did make it into the workshop which was pretty cool. Don't you want the Board to discuss and debate and work through the process? There is no way they will be able to make everyone happy. No way. This isn't my first rodeo, and I have been in the position of not liking the final decision.
-
1. Yes
2. Well, this go round isn't finished yet, but I hope not since the last one did.

basketaggie
AG
I live tweeted from the meeting on 31 August 2016. I went back and saw my tweets from that day. I wanted to make sure I was remembering things correctly. The rezoning at that time was done in this order: First concern comparable composition, 2nd: zone for growth, 3rd: maximize capacity of existing buildings. They were recommending implementing the zoning for high school during the fall of 2017. What was said was that we would not face another rezoning until 2022. A bond would go up in 2018, and CSHS would have the expansion to it's original full design in 2021 with another high school down the road in the works. This was based on enrollment history, projections and road improvements.

I took pictures of the slides showing the zones, but not the slides showing the actual numbers. I was able to pull the info from the slides online on the CSISD website and a google search. Using the final project slides, I pulled this info: In August of 2016 the estimated numbers for the schools for the following school year (2017-2018) were:
Consol: 1965
CSHS: 1873
According to the new slides, the actual attendance for the high schools for this year (2017-2018)
Consol: 1713
CSHS:1996

and in case you don't want to do the math
Consol was under the estimate by 252
CSHS was over by 123

This is the link to the final plan in Sept of 2016 that went into affect fall of 2017. It shows the expected attendance for both schools until 2024/2025:
https://1.cdn.edl.io/MVY3jYcWvrXDrKhWwymXy2CWJwdozGV6yFcFWBiqfeP9ybYf.pdf

I put all the info in a table from the previous rezone and expectations to what is being presented now.
For instance, let's look at 2021-2022
Consol: ....................... CSHS
2016 rezone: 2216 .......................................... 2289
Plan 3B: 2095 ................................... 1964
Plan 2B+ 2099 ................................... 1960
There is a bit of a difference in the new charts because of the 3rd- College View and the alternative school. In 2021-2022 that equals 150 students. Based on the charts in the 2016 rezoning the estimated the amount of high school students would be 4,505. In the newest charts 4,209

basketaggie
AG
EEK! Sorry about that, it reformatted the numbers at the bottom. I originally had a nice space in-between the 2 to create two columns. My apologizes- just remember Consol #'s are first set of #'s, and CSHS is the next set of numbers.
Stupe
S
basketaggie said:

I live tweeted from the meeting on 31 August 2016. I went back and saw my tweets from that day. I wanted to make sure I was remembering things correctly. The rezoning at that time was done in this order: First concern comparable composition, 2nd: zone for growth, 3rd: maximize capacity of existing buildings. They were recommending implementing the zoning for high school during the fall of 2017. What was said was that we would not face another rezoning until 2022. A bond would go up in 2018, and CSHS would have the expansion to it's original full design in 2021 with another high school down the road in the works. This was based on enrollment history, projections and road improvements.

And this is why so many have zero faith in the school board to make a wise decision right now and want to hold off on rezoning.

Everyone went through this crap two years and at the end said "well, at least that's over for a while".

Here we are again, hearing the same line of bull because....just like last time...they are basing these decisions on projected numbers.
Again.
Stupe
S
02skiag said:

Stupe said:

That's all well and good but if the schools are not even demographically then which school will attract and retain the better teachers? Which school will have families moving away from it?
I actually agree with you that if that were to remain long term it could have a negative effect.
RGRAg1/75
AG
One takeaway from those numbers is the actually overestimated total enrollment of both schools by 129. So somehow they thought more ppl would move in or graduate up, but they estimated most would move to the "older" neighborhoods vs "newer" ones? Mmmmkay.

Another observation - CSHS was over by 123. Didn't another poster say there are 100+ living in areas zoned for AMCHS but go to CSHS bc their parent(s) are district employees? Maybe just enforce zones already in place vs rezoning again.
ZFG
BASKETAGGIE, I don't know who you are or where you stand on all of this but the important thing is...YOU ARE A GENIUS!

The reasons for your GENIUS STATUS are:
1-You documented all this in the first place!
2-You were able to actually find and locate this information and you shared it!
3- This is PROOF that how things have been done in the past IS NOT WORKING!!!!

THANK YOU for posting this! No, it doesn't solve the capacity issues we are faced with right now, but it does show the NEED to re-evaluate the ways things have been done in the past in order to avoid having to put our kids through this AGAIN so soon in the near future!

Obviously Templeton Demographics (who the district is paying THOUSANDS of our taxpayers' $$$ to) is not getting it right! (I already suspected this because I have heard of developers in town who have NEVER been contacted by them about their developments or when they would actually have lots available for sale. One of those will be ready this July and hasn't even been mentioned on the "growth radar." What are they doing? Just driving by the land zoned for development?) How can we as an entire district (not maroon vs. purple but all of us in College Station) think that this is good for our kids??? The projection for the next rezoning was 2022! They were off by 4 years!!!! I hope someone from KBTX, The Eagle or WTAW will look at the last rezoning data and report on it. That's the "story" in all of this mess & the community needs to hear it!

IF THIS ISN'T ENOUGH PROOF THAT THIS REZONING SHOULD BE PUT ON HOLD, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!

There are lots of quotes out there about poor planning and the results of it, but I think this one is spot on for our current situation..."Proper planning and preparation today prevents poor performance tomorrow".
CSISD should probably just order some portables for CSHS now and take the time to figure this out RIGHT once and for all without rushing this rezoning decision. All of the plans they are currently looking at put CSHS over capacity one year after the plans take effect anyway, so what is the actual point?
AFM
I don't get why the district employees have the perks to choose the school for their kids but the rest of us don't. We are talking about high school and not elementary kids here.
Oogway
Do the 2016 projection numbers for the two schools reflect grandfathering? That was a big deal during the last rezoning. It wouldn't affect total district hs #'s but would per campus.

Edit-spelling
ZFG
According to the enrollment projections presented at the Jan 25th board workshop, there are currently 229 grandfathered students at AMCHS and 233 at CSHS so for capacity purposes, those numbers are a wash.
Oogway
Got it. So they don't really affect those 2016 projection #s?. Is the disparity from people that moved zones & growth presumably or am I misinterpreting basketaggie's post?
RGRAg1/75
AG
Anyone know if any of this data (# of HS kids attending CSHS zones for AMCHS, and grandfathered students) is attainable via FOIA?
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Anyone know if any of this data (# of HS kids attending CSHS zones for AMCHS, and grandfathered students) is attainable via FOIA?

It 100% is...people are requesting it already.
ZFG
What is FOIA?
I think any numbers can be requested from Chuck Glenewinkel at cglenewinkel@csisd.org
Stupe
S
Freedom Of Information Act
Oogway
Freedom of Information Act

Is it just me, or when looking at ALL the options, the #s have a problem in that even though grandfathering ceases to become an issue as students graduate, it is hard to get an idea of the forecast (where they project out into years beyond) when the grade report (which is presumably #s for 2019-but you don't know since it isn't labeled) stops at 8th grade. In other words, are the class sizes of 7th on down even larger? Some class years have a baby boom so to speak. Would be nice to know. Granted you can't know if growth will exceed 3% or 6% or what but it might help if the Board has more info, or thinks to ask for it.

Edit-in case someone already defined FOIA
Stupe for the win!
Stupe
S
All of these questions are exactly why they need to table this for now and stick with what they have until after the expansion.

It's ridiculous to do the exact same thing from two years ago when it obviously failed.
dallasiteinsa02
AFM said:

I don't get why the district employees have the perks to choose the school for their kids but the rest of us don't. We are talking about high school and not elementary kids here.

Most districts offer the ability for a teacher's kids to go to the same school that they work at, but other than that they are sent to the school that their home feeds into. College Station takes this quite a bit further as a perk which is probably unnecessary for recruitment.
TAMU1990
AG
Oogway said:

Freedom of Information Act

Is it just me, or when looking at ALL the options, the #s have a problem in that even though grandfathering ceases to become an issue as students graduate, it is hard to get an idea of the forecast (where they project out into years beyond) when the grade report (which is presumably #s for 2019-but you don't know since it isn't labeled) stops at 8th grade. In other words, are the class sizes of 7th on down even larger? Some class years have a baby boom so to speak. Would be nice to know. Granted you can't know if growth will exceed 3% or 6% or what but it might help if the Board has more info, or thinks to ask for it.

Edit-in case someone already defined FOIA
Stupe for the win!
The classes going into CSHS are bigger than the ones leaving it. If nothing happened this year you would see CSHS near 2200 this August. Consol will continue to get smaller - it's at approx.1675 right now. The large neighborhoods currently zoned for Consol are aging out (example 1 - Pebble Creek Elem has had only 3 Kindergarten classes for a while). Homes in town are either being taken over as student housing or football rentals and there is limited or no new construction in these areas. More families are moving into the CSHS zone. There is a reason why square footage is cheaper in Consol's zone vs CSHS's zone. And I want to point out that someone pointed out that Southgate is the highest per square foot in town BUT there are very few families in that area. It's directly across from A&M and very attractive to retirees.
RGRAg1/75
AG
csag97 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

It 100% is...people are requesting it already.

Good to know. Not sure this board will let facts get in their way, however.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.