Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,132 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
Nobody Knows My Name
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ag_pete09 said:

Cb and Nobody,

How did you get it off the pallet/frame? I'm sure I can figure it out but wouldn't mind the insight with how heavy it is. I don't have a lift or tractor.

Are you able to plug into 50A plug into the generator easily? I saw where some people had issues with tires in the way.

Did you float the neutral for hooking up to your house? Recommend in the manual, but not sure how critical. Maybe stops gfci from working properly.
My wife and I picked it up and moved it. I gave her the side with the handles (extended) and we were able to get it off. It's HEAVY for sure!

Not as much clearance as I'd prefer, but there was enough room to plug in the 50A cable.

I'm going to ask my electrician friend about the floating neutral again. Before I had the generator, he said I didn't need to, but I'll ask him next time he is over again.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
txam92 said:

Nobody Knows My Name said:

For anyone that got the WGen12000, do yourself a favor and order a Fumoto F106N and some 3/8" ID tubing to save yourself from some very messy oil changes. The Fumoto F316L would work too, but you would need a very shallow pan to go underneath the generator if go this route.

Broke my machine in today. Ran an hour on idle and then started adding load off and on with some space heaters for another 4 hours. Had one time where it shutoff shortly into the second hour (sometime not long after I added load). Not sure what that was about, but everything was good the next 3-4 hours.

After shutting it down, I drained the oil (about half of it onto my garage floor) and changed the oil filter. Fumoto valve will be here tomorrow from Amazon so I'll install that and then fill her back up with oil. I went with the F106N and have over a foot of tubing which will extend out past the frame so I can dump right into my oil drain pan.

If anyone is interested, I put together a spreadsheet of scheduled maintenance with part numbers. I have to say Westinghouse's parts prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. See https://parts.wpowereq.com/.
Just picked up this generator myself. NOBODY: Do you happen to have a couple pictures on how you installed the Fumoto F106N that I can use for reference? Thanks!
Would be hard to get pictures at this point, but I put one of these crush washers on top of the Fumoto fiber washer (crush washer between generator case and fiber washer). I ordered extra fiber washers, but am going to leave it the way I have it as long as I don't have any problems. I then ran a foot and a half or so piece of 3/8" ID hose that I can dump into a oil drain pan.
ag_pete09
AG
Here's a review from HD about the plug issue. It looks like it will maybe work. "Nobody" mentioned it works but is tight.

I did a little more searching and think you maybe be able to get a 50A plug that the cord goes in straight vs. down. I think they are harder to pull out though and the ones I've found are more expensive. Can maybe find a bare cord and install plug.
ag_pete09
AG
Heads up for anyone else: I got this scheduled for delivery.

Home Depot has free delivery but higher price (can likely price match).

Lowes has lower price, $65 delivery, longer extended warranty for same price if that's worth it to you.

I ordered from Lowe's with extended warranty plus Costco citi card extended warranty that should take me through 7 years. Also had them drop delivery charge. Next is to see if I can get tax taken off for tax free emergency supplies when that comes up. Might be stretching it there though.

txam92
AG
Thanks nobody!
TexCOAg
AG
For those looking to convert the WGen12000DF to natural gas, I contacted Zach at Century Fuel Products who provided a conversion kit that will work. SEK-D53A-1/2 . Cost is $125 plus $17.79 shipping.

I will provide an update once I have a chance to install, but it will likely be some time from now as I need to get the natural gas line run first.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I am working towards the OB special (WGen12000DF) with the NatGas conversion. I have got the inlet handled, now working to get gas available before getting the generator. My question is, what size outlet do I need to tee off my gas line to run to this setup?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
sawemoffshort07 said:

I am working towards the OB special (WGen12000DF) with the NatGas conversion. I have got the inlet handled, now working to get gas available before getting the generator. My question is, what size outlet do I need to tee off my gas line to run to this setup?

Is this a new install? If so I'd match your header size ( you can always neck down once you get outside the wall).

I regret not having them run full diameter pipe to my kitchen and backyard patio when I was building my house. The added pipe cost is minimal compared to the labor.

Edit: Would be nice to have at least 1" pipe.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Yes, this is a new install. The generator can be as close as about 10' to the gas line. As it sits, the line to the house looks like 1-1/4" and into the meter 1". I am not going to hop in the attic right now, but I think its 1-1/4" throughout to the point it terminates in the HVAC furnace. All appliances (drier, water heater, stove, fireplace and HVAC furnace) have a reducer tee drop to them.

I guess with that being said, I could do as suggested and just have a 1" tee and reduce down as needed.
txags92
AG
Regarding natural gas lines, does anybody know if companies like centerpoint allow more than one metered connection to a house? The location I am likely to want to put a generator is about 5' off of the easement where the main gas line for the neighborhood goes by. The actual gas meter on the house is probably 60' away on the opposite end of the house. Would it be easier to get a 2nd connection to the main with a meter to fuel the generator? Or should I expect the cost to include running 60+ feet of new line from the existing meter?
Burn-It
AG
txags92 said:

Regarding natural gas lines, does anybody know if companies like centerpoint allow more than one metered connection to a house? The location I am likely to want to put a generator is about 5' off of the easement where the main gas line for the neighborhood goes by. The actual gas meter on the house is probably 60' away on the opposite end of the house. Would it be easier to get a 2nd connection to the main with a meter to fuel the generator? Or should I expect the cost to include running 60+ feet of new line from the existing meter?

They will gladly run a service line & New meter,,, for a small charge
AKA 13-0
sawemoffshort07
AG
I know the plug is galvanized, but temporary/redundant after the ball valve. 1-1/4 tee
Post removed:
by user
lurker76
I ordered that Westinghouse model yesterday from HD at that price, free shipping to the house, due to arrive May 5. Lowes listed it for 2499, but it was out of stock, email notification if you want for when it is in stock again. Lowes had it in stock last weekend for about 2250, but we were holding off for the tax free weekend.

I read through the whole thread again and saw how much trouble it was to find an available one and decided to move on it while it was in stock. I want to get it here and running before ERCOT fails us again, or in case of a hurricane. The HD page listed that there were 13 available to be delivered to Sugar Land; I'm not sure how that number was determined, but I believe a lot of people will be getting them this weekend.

To Nobody and everyone else that contributed so much to this thread, thanks for all the research and support.
ag_pete09
AG
What are your thoughts on the extended warranties? I don't think there should be an issue, but is $350 for 3 extra years worth it given how infrequent I'm likely to run it. I think parts from Westinghouse are 3 years and labor is 1 year. Adding 3 from Lowe's should get me to 6/4. I also bought with Costco card so that should add a couple years (7 total max). So that should get me to 7/6 parts/ labor. Without Lowe's warranty, I would be at 6/4 parts/labor.

Mine is set to deliver Saturday. I pushed it out to see if I could squeeze into tax free weekend but Lowe's is out and HD is higher. I may still try to see if a manager will try to work with me. Worth at least asking to save $200. They also waived the $65 delivery charge after I told them HD had free delivery and would price match their price.

I paid $2180 from Lowe's. Not sure why it shows up as more for some people. It still shows that price, just out of stock.
lurker76
Much to my surprise, the generator that I ordered yesterday from Home Depot, due to be delivered on May 5, was delivered about 10 minutes ago. The curb-side delivery was actually placed in the garage by the delivery man, so that was a plus. I don't have the drain valve, crush washer or tube as recommended, but they are all due tomorrow. We need to get the inlet to the house installed and a suitable propane cylinder purchased and mounted, but those are in the works.
drumboy
AG
I have an L14-30 cord but I'm looking for the 'plug' to put in my garage that will back feed the panel w/ an inter-lock device shutting off the main.

Something like this but with a cover and if it can be easily mounted in the existing 50amp gang box that's great.
mandevilleag
Just saw this today. Looks like a pretty good deal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-57080.html?utm_source=1621_predator_generators&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1621_predator_generators&uid=bfa69cd6a08e6bfb48e6f84075a03c3d7d3b92989cdc02d4e3e66ecc604a3142&infy=602828605&bxid=602,828,605&mi_u=602,828,605&mi_ecmp=2021_04_21_wk1621_NEW_predator_generators_Engaged&plcc=
Tx-Ag2010
AG
That is a steal compared to the Honda 7000. Almost seems too good to be true.
Whoop Delecto
AG
88Warrior
mandevilleag said:

Just saw this today. Looks like a pretty good deal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-57080.html?utm_source=1621_predator_generators&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1621_predator_generators&uid=bfa69cd6a08e6bfb48e6f84075a03c3d7d3b92989cdc02d4e3e66ecc604a3142&infy=602828605&bxid=602,828,605&mi_u=602,828,605&mi_ecmp=2021_04_21_wk1621_NEW_predator_generators_Engaged&plcc=

How reliable is the Predator line?
aTm2004
AG
I think the Predator line is built by Honda. Obviously, some materials are changed, thus quality, to get it to a price point. My uncle has the 3500 (or 3000?) Predator for his RV and hasn't had any issues with it. My dad's 2 Honda 2000s are still going strong after many many hours on them.
txam92
AG
Anyone have a recommendation for an electrician in Plano/Frisco area to do the necessary work?
ag_pete09
AG
How quick to get wheels on?

5 minutes?

Thinking if it's quick I can tip the delivery guy to help get it off pallet after putting wheels on.
Post removed:
by user
RCR06
AG
All gasoline generators will have a lower power output on propane and a bit lower than that on natural gas. 8500 running watts might only be 7000 running watts on natural gas(pure guess, but based on numbers I've seen). I think this is why many people were wanting the bigger 12000 watt one because of the power loss. I'm leaning pretty hard toward the one you posted myself. Something else that is an option is to get the westinghouse 12000 watt gas only version, which is available, and put a tri fuel kit on it(assuming there is one).
ag_pete09
AG
Nice find.

Depending on what you want to run this should be sufficient with planning and monitoring.

How easy will getting the conversion kit installed? Will you have to cut the frame or anything that you can't change back for warranty purposes? That's one big benefit of the dual fuel, they're almost there from the factory.

I had this champion already that is 5% THD. I estimated the natural gas output and didn't feel like it was going to keep up even if I got a soft start for the AC.

Champion Generator
9000/7000
Propane 8100/6300
?Natural gas 6570/5110

Upstairs AC 3350/1600
Downstairs AC 5400/2850
Base load 720
Coffee pot 1045/334
Oven 3000 +1200
Microwave 1665
ag_pete09
AG
Also, the 12000df has been in and out of stock more recently. If you're willing to bypass the tax savings, it could be worth it.
ag_pete09
AG
Just took delivery and the delivery guys helped me offload it from the pallet. I think it caught them off guard how difficult it was. Props to those who did it on their own.

They mentioned this was a "smaller one" and not as bad as some others they've delivered. Apparently lots of people getting generac's and asking them to put in back yard. He said it's garage or driveway, haha.
lurker76
Sorry for the late response, but I only un-boxed it yesterday. I was actually trying to answer you when you posted this.

This is one heavy piece of equipment. Check out the pictures that Nobody posted on page 5 @ 1:38. The top picture of the box with straps and wooden base came on a standard pallet. I wasn't able to get the whole assembly to slide off of the pallet, and couldn't lift the generator over the blocks that hold it in place on the base. I pried a couple of them off and was able to get the generator to slide off the base at that point.

A couple of words of caution. First, when they drain the oil at the factory, it gets all over the plate to the left to the battery, just below the white plug in Nobody's second picture. They don't do a great job of cleaning up that oil, so it can/will get on you if you don't wipe it up first. It just proves Nobody's point about installing the Fumoto drain valve and tubing.

Second, before you mount your wheels, look at the bar holding the battery on. The battery is on the bottom, with the label with six icons on it. The bar has a hole on one end and a slot on the other, so only one bolt has to be removed completely. In the posted picture, it looks like the end with the slot is the one behind where the wheel will go (right end). I didn't notice it until I had the wheel on, but mine had the slot on the left end. With the wheel in place, it was difficult to get the socket in place to take that bolt out completely. If the bar has the slot on the right end, you only have to loosen that bolt. I was able to swap the bar ends so in the future the right bolt will be loosened.

Good luck.
ag_pete09
AG
Thanks for the tips.

Still waiting on my drain valve now.

A couple observations:

Yes, draining oil would be terrible without the valve and hose. The image in the manual shows the catch pan below with the feet inside the pan.

They definitely messed up on the battery arrangement. The cables almost have to touch the alternator (not sure if a problem or not).

My battery bracket did not have the notch described and had to be completely removed.

Lifting bracket doesn't slide into place all that easily (very minor).

Still a little concerned about the 50A plug location with respect to the tire. Looks like they could have put it on the far left instead of far right, but maybe something on the backside complicates this.

Moves around very easily for as heavy as it is.

Looking forward to getting drain valve and transfer installed.

GSS
Bought this one online at Tractor Supply today, $850, will p/u today or Sunday. The review mentions "not suitable for sensitive electronics", so would a practical approach for cell phone charging be to charge a battery pack, then use it to charge the phones? TV's might just be a guinea pig for "sensitivity" to voltage fluctuations.

Champion 9375watt dual fuel

NRA Life
TSRA Life
aTm2004
AG
For phones, the battery packs is a good idea. They're cheap and hold a charge quite a while, and when they need to be recharged, sacrifice those by plugging into your generator.

For the TV, buy a cheap 30" or something for ~$100 and use that when needed. Ours is in the game room and the kids watch it when they're playing in there so it's not a total waste.
ag_pete09
AG
As long as you aren't worried about the battery pack.

Don't forget all the little electronics that are now in fridges, washer and dryer, thermostats, tv, etc.

For the amount of time you are going to use it, maybe not an issue. If you have an issue like this winter storm or maybe Ike, you might be increasing your risk of more equipment failing down the road
lurker76
Nobody Knows My Name said:

Would be hard to get pictures at this point, but I put one of these crush washers on top of the Fumoto fiber washer (crush washer between generator case and fiber washer). I ordered extra fiber washers, but am going to leave it the way I have it as long as I don't have any problems. I then ran a foot and a half or so piece of 3/8" ID hose that I can dump into a oil drain pan.
Nobody,
The page link you provided above for the crush washers goes to this item::

part number X0002WT3CJV

I ordered from that link and was sent a similar item:

part number X000WT3CJV

Any idea if this is "close enough"? It fits on the valve, but I just want to be sure before I fill the oil sump.
Thanks. Also, I really appreciate all the info you've provided.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.