Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,133 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Replacing the whole panel. That sounds about right. I think I paid $1500 for a new panel 5 years ago. And the interlock was another $600. Given the current state of the world that quote does sound legit.
aarontx
For reference, I had my panel replaced back in April and at that time had a 50 amp inlet installed. Paid $1600. This did not include an interlock. Had a buddy fab me one and installed myself. This is in the Houston area.
YellAg2004
AG
rather be fishing said:

Spoke with my electrician yesterday and he said he'd have to probably replace the meter box and install the interlock there. Rough estimate he said 2-3k for that work, which I have no real idea on whether that's reasonable, but I assume that would be a lot more in Texas.
Unless you have some weird setup, I'm not sure why you would need to replace your meter can. The interlock everyone is referring to is just a piece of metal that is screwed into the cover face of your breaker panel. The only requirement is that you have a main breaker (large breaker at the top of your panel, usually ~200amp rating) and space in your panel to be able to install another breaker. You may have to move some breakers around as that new breaker usually has to be installed at the top right. When the interlock is then screwed into the face panel, it prevents your main breaker and your new breaker from both being on at the same time (and back-feeding your service lines as mentioned above). The conductors from that new breaker run to your generator outlet that gets mounted on the exterior where ever you plan to run your generator.

There are pictures back through this thread of various posters' setups. Or you can just image search "home generator interlock".

The only way I see you needing to pay $2-3k is if your panel is completely full and you have no way to add another breaker so he is quoting to replace your whole panel with a larger one (with more space). Did he actually come and even look at your panel (or see a pic)? Or did he just quote it sight unseen?
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
It does sound like you may have a neutral issue.
rather be fishing
AG
YellAg2004 said:

The only way I see you needing to pay $2-3k is if your panel is completely full and you have no way to add another breaker so he is quoting to replace your whole panel with a larger one (with more space). Did he actually come and even look at your panel (or see a pic)? Or did he just quote it sight unseen?
He's done quite a bit of work on our place in the last 6 months. I thought he was talking about needing to replace the box where the meter is on the pole, not the breaker box inside the house. We have 2 breaker boxes in the house and there is room in the one that operates the pressure tank and heater. I'm pretty sure the breaker for the well is on that same panel.

I'm going to talk to a couple of other folks and get opinions as well, so I'll double check what he's proposing.
sawemoffshort07
AG
For reference, I had a faulty panel replaced about 7 years ago and was about $1200 with permit (125A service). I did all the setup for the power inlet and interlock myself and had an electrician terminate and commission for $200. In the 77008 area.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Prices for work in the '008 are definitely up in the past 7 years. Big spike after Harvey, and another hike for plumbing/electrical trades after the February freeze. Just had a panel upgrade + 50AMP inlet installed, passed inspection yesterday. Had to shop around a bit, then waited 6 weeks for them to get to me. $2,850.
RCR06
AG
Bump for the person asking about hooking up a generator to a panel.
JAW3336
AG
Thanks
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
Daddy-O5
AG
In to bookmark.
Thanks, and Gig 'Em!
jpb1999
AG
Does this thread talk about good and bad brands of portable generators?

I want to buy a big one. Looking at either the Duromax XP1300EH or the XP1500EH. Don't want to spend that much on crap though. Should I be looking at better brands?

Spane Bohem

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Good info here comparing brands/models: https://generatorbible.com/

Problem with DuroMax is I do not think they make a 5% or less THD model.
Motis B Totis
AG
Just finished a generac self install. Went pretty smooth and I'm glad it's finally done.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
If anyone has a Trane unit that uses hard start part number BAYKSKT263, I have mine for sale. I ended up going with the Micro-Air Easy Start instead.
Whoop Delecto
AG
mosdefn14
AG
Check your start up amps before buying & installing. I had my HVAC guy check mine when they came for the fall/winter check-up. It was something ridiculous like 150 starting amps on the outside unit (5 ton, ~10 years old), somewhere around 15 running. The Soft Start would have brought me down into the 80-100 amp range he guessed, but still way too high for my 13.5kw generator.
Whoop Delecto
AG
AlaskanAg99
AG
Heads up, the Westinghouse 1200/1500DF is back and available. Just purchased one from JED. They had 1 left and available from other sources.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And my generator was just delivered. $20 to the driver to put it in my garage and he was happy as the shipped weight was 420lbs and my industrial dolly couldn't have handled the whole thing.

Wife may be out of town next week, which will be the perfect time to break it in and I'm already ordering the other parts mentioned for changing the oil. Gotta watch that youtube channel on building an enclosure but I finally have the damn thing and the rest of the house is ready for it.
kcag96
AG
Nice score. We bought one before Christmas and did the break-in. I too ordered the all parts for oil changes, including the Fumoto valve. Once I read the owner's manual a few times, it donned on my that there is an oil drain hose. It also serves as a vent hose. It's on the same side as the oil filter. You don't need to buy the Fumoto valve. Don't create a mess in your garage... my generator was nearly full of oil.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I haven't even unboxed it yet, that'll be this weekend. And I'm following a few builds on how to construct a quiet box.

Down to 60db.
AlaskanAg99
AG
kcag96 said:

Nice score. We bought one before Christmas and did the break-in. I too ordered the all parts for oil changes, including the Fumoto valve. Once I read the owner's manual a few times, it donned on my that there is an oil drain hose. It also serves as a vent hose. It's on the same side as the oil filter. You don't need to buy the Fumoto valve. Don't create a mess in your garage... my generator was nearly full of oil.
Ok, what type of oil filter is this? I read the manual several times and it doesn't list it as a replaceable part.

I'll claim novice status, but is this something that needs to be replaced, because it seems it should be.
rather be fishing
AG
I bought the Westinghouse Wgen9500df back in November and haven't had to use it yet, so it's doing great.

\We lost electricity briefly a couple of times since I've had it, but not long enough to warrant putting oil and fuel in it yet.
Bird Poo
AG
My 8500/7000 Champion Inverter will arrive in a few days. Couple of questions:

• Is it best to break in the generator as soon as I get it? Or, should I not do anything to it until I need it?
  • Should I fire it up every month to keep things lubricated?
  • How should I maintain the battery for long term storage?
Whoop Delecto
AG
kcag96
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

kcag96 said:

Ok, what type of oil filter is this? I read the manual several times and it doesn't list it as a replaceable part.

I'll claim novice status, but is this something that needs to be replaced, because it seems it should be.
I bought these, https://parts.wpowereq.com/products/35273?variant=14619355676739
AlaskanAg99
AG
Thank you both, for some reason I couldn't find it in the manual.
aggolfer
AG
With the soft start capacitor, can these generators run the emergency/auxilary heat as well?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Define your heat source.
aggolfer
AG
5 ton heat pump. Has the electric emergency strip on it when it gets below 30ish.
AlaskanAg99
AG
You just have to read the tag to find out how much it draws.
Part of that will tell you the start up cost, I have no history to know if it is about the same demand as an AC at what tonnage.
alittleright
jpb1999 said:

Does this thread talk about good and bad brands of portable generators?

I want to buy a big one. Looking at either the Duromax XP1300EH or the XP1500EH. Don't want to spend that much on crap though. Should I be looking at better brands?
I went with the Winco 12000 tri fuel and am very happy with this set up.. It is a bit more expensive (ok a lot more) but it has low THD and is well built.
wessimo
AG
Thinking of pulling the trigger on this WEN GN625i 6250 watt 120V/240V inverter generator. Anybody have experience with this brand? Supposedly it is the same as Champion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H5VX1R7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_X14ZCJET3NXASCNJYWTV

I wanted a 1) dual fuel 2) 120V/240V 3) with low THD but had to give up on 1) because gensets meeting all three criteria are more than I want to spend ($2k+). Couldn't give up the 240v because I don't want to mess with the risk of trying to make a 120v work with my panel, and don't want a high THD genset that could potentially fry our electronics and appliances.

I already have a transfer switch; just want a genset to keep the lights, fridge, freezers, TVs, and furnace blower going (in winter).
Bridge
Does anybody know what the difference between these two is? I've looked and can't seem to find the difference except for price.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WGen12000-Ultra-Portable-Generator/dp/B07HYP6LYG/ref=asc_df_B07HYP6LYG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241983951578&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11453254684604629363&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026909&hvtargid=pla-607518733125&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WGen12000-Portable-Generator-Compliant/dp/B08GV31CCS
kcag96
AG
Other than one being $500 cheaper, cannot tell. Both are sold by Amazon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.