Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,137 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Taking this thread to the top.

Predicting 14-17 hurricanes this season. Just had a nasty storm in CS that knocked out power.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know poop about generators but all I've learned came back from this thread.

That being said, I just ordered a Hondo EU3000iS for my house. But May explore changing my mind to buy two of the 2200s to link and get in case, as mentioned a bit above.

Thanks to all for helping to teach a man to fish.
combat wombat™
AG
Our power went out about at midnight… it's still out. Trusty Generac has been running for over 9 hours.
RCR06
AG
Friend of mines Mom had a company come out last week to evaluate and plan a whole home generac install. They are doing the install tomorrow. Not sure if they are installing from stock on hand or they ordered it from a distributor, but sounds like the generac availability/lead time is coming down.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Bump
aTm2004
AG
Instead of getting the Hondas, go to Harbor Freight and get one of their larger ones. It'll be about the same cost and I know several who have and use them with no issue. My dad has 2 Honda 2000s that we used to run at A&M tailgates, but he's since gone with a Predator 3500 for his camper when he's somewhere that doesn't have power (my uncle has the same one for the same reason) and a Predator 9500 for his home backup to run some essential things and a window unit he can install.

Plus to all of this is he's given me one of the Hondas...yay me!

https://www.harborfreight.com/generators-engines/generators.html
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Moving away from hurricane land, anybody interested in my champion 8750 open frame inverter with like 2 hours (didn't even finish breaking it in) and micro-air easystart 368 (never installed, still in box)
How about $1200 for the package in sw houston
sawemoffshort07
AG
I was in on this thread when it was hot and went with the Westinghouse 12000DF. I went out to kick it off a few days ago to make sure it is in good shape. Turned on the run switch, pushed the start button once, it tried to turn once, then the panel went dark. I charged the battery, tried two others and was not able to get any lights on the panel. When I plug the supplied charger into the panel, the battery light illuminates. When I turn on the run switch , the start button lights up, but when I push it, the panel goes dark, then goes back to the battery light on and blinking start button. I tried a new run/stop rocker switch, but that's not it either. Anyone have any guidance here? It's still under warranty, but trying to troubleshoot in the interim.
TopFlightReject
sawemoffshort07 said:

I was in on this thread when it was hot and went with the Westinghouse 12000DF. I went out to kick it off a few days ago to make sure it is in good shape. Turned on the run switch, pushed the start button once, it tried to turn once, then the panel went dark. I charged the battery, tried two others and was not able to get any lights on the panel. When I plug the supplied charger into the panel, the battery light illuminates. When I turn on the run switch , the start button lights up, but when I push it, the panel goes dark, then goes back to the battery light on and blinking start button. I tried a new run/stop rocker switch, but that's not it either. Anyone have any guidance here? It's still under warranty, but trying to troubleshoot in the interim.

Sounds like your battery is shot. Was most likely fully discharged. You can try and run it on a charger for a few days but those small batteries you might as well swap it for a new one.

Does your model have the pull cord?
sawemoffshort07
AG
I tried 3 batteries, 2 are new fully charged. No pull cord.
YZ250
Check your oil level. It won't start if it is low.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Oil level is good. I'm 99% sure this is an electronic gremlin
RED AG 98
AG
aTm2004 said:

Instead of getting the Hondas, go to Harbor Freight and get one of their larger ones. It'll be about the same cost and I know several who have and use them with no issue. My dad has 2 Honda 2000s that we used to run at A&M tailgates, but he's since gone with a Predator 3500 for his camper when he's somewhere that doesn't have power (my uncle has the same one for the same reason) and a Predator 9500 for his home backup to run some essential things and a window unit he can install.

Plus to all of this is he's given me one of the Hondas...yay me!

https://www.harborfreight.com/generators-engines/generators.html
Seems like these Predators are popping up everywhere and reviews are generally great. If I were spending coin on a very large inverter I would absolutely buy their extended warranty though as the standard policy is only 90 days. Still much cheaper than a gold-standard Honda and much better than many of the other very poorly made Chinese knockoffs...

ETA: lol just realized I replied to a 7 month old post. Sorry about that
P.U.T.U
AG
Looks like I have a gas line already ran out to my back porch area. May have to look at getting a tri-fuel or dual fuel and conversion kit to run off natural gas. Need to do the math to figure out what size I need.
RED AG 98
AG
sawemoffshort07 said:

I tried 3 batteries, 2 are new fully charged. No pull cord.
I can't imagine a portable genset without pull start. Looking at the 12000DF manual, it does appear you have one. See page 30 here.
Whoop Delecto
AG
RED AG 98
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

https://powergeneratorexpert.com/westinghouse-wgen12000df-dual-fuel-portable-generator/

"Starting the WGen12000DF is easy if the battery has sufficient charge. You may use either the push-button electric starter or the remote key fob, although there is no recoil pull starter. If its battery is flat, then you won't be able to start this portable generator."
I wonder if they are different variants based on where it was purchased (like specific SKUs for different big box stores)?

The user manual I linked above clearly mentions recoil start 5 times in both drawings and in text.

ETA: Another possibility is they caught a lot of flak and added this at some point, though I would expect them to have different revs called out when looking for the manual...
sawemoffshort07
AG
I'll look again, but I don't think I'd overlook that. I haven't tried the remote start option because its a no crank no start. Seems like something is grounding/short
Whoop Delecto
AG
RED AG 98
AG
I understand what you posted, just that it's in conflict with the actual owner's manual for the product on the actual manufacturer's site. Wild.
sawemoffshort07
AG
If anyone has any tips, is be happy to hear. Otherwise, I guess I'll let y'all know the solution once I get info
ag_pete09
AG
I pulled my 12000df out and it wouldn't start. Battery seemed to not be kicking off and it would only start to turn over briefly. It was showing full voltage.

I jumped it with my truck.

Bought a new battery that started it fine.

I later realized the guy that installed my new internet a few months ago disconnected the battery tender that was connected. Still not sure if the old battery was bad but the new one cranks it just fine.
ag_pete09
AG
Has anyone had trouble getting the Westinghouse 12000df to properly run on propane?

If I crank on propane it struggles to actually get going. Almost like it's too rich. I didn't try it this time but I remember having trouble before and it worked fine if I cranked on gas first to warm it up then moved over to propane.
lurker76
I only ran the generator enough to break it in, and used only propane. There wasn't any problem with starting it or running it on battery only. Unfortunately, I haven't done the battery maintenance and may need a new battery. I'm charging it now to see if it will start or not.
lurker76
I've gone through the user manual for my WGen12000DF and don't see any indication of a pull start. In fact, looking at the troubleshooting information, for "starting battery may have insufficient charge", the response is "On electric start models only. Check battery output and charge battery as necessary." There isn't anything like what you have posted in your clips.
A visual inspection has not revealed a pull starter either.
RED AG 98
AG
Crazy. I guess they have changed at some point if this isn't what you have. The question I have is which way -- did they add the recoil to the current model that is being sold (meaning you have an old version) or did they remove it and no longer offer electric only.

Westinghouse_WGen12000DF_manual_web.pdf (westinghouseoutdoorpower.com)
YZ250
I bet it never had a recoil start or if it did they got rid of it. I don't think it's easy to pull-start a 713cc V-twin engine.
sawemoffshort07
AG
After it tried to turn once, I tried jumping it before going into charging battery, swapping batteries, etc. Nothing doing. New battery, been plugged in for a few days. Still no panel lights
pull-mark-bird
lurker76 said:

I've gone through the user manual for my WGen12000DF and don't see any indication of a pull start. In fact, looking at the troubleshooting information, for "starting battery may have insufficient charge", the response is "On electric start models only. Check battery output and charge battery as necessary." There isn't anything like what you have posted in your clips.
A visual inspection has not revealed a pull starter either.
Could just be lack of verification when printing manuals from one model to the next.
pull-mark-bird
sawemoffshort07 said:

If you have like battery jump pack, hook that up to it and see if it starts, that will give you a good answer if the battery is bad or not.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I tried jumping with a jump pack, no good. Westinghouse swears it's the run/stop switch. They ordered one for me under warranty, problem is, it's backordered until an unknown date.
pull-mark-bird
sawemoffshort07 said:

I tried jumping with a jump pack, no good. Westinghouse swears it's the run/stop switch. They ordered one for me under warranty, problem is, it's backordered until an unknown date.
So what was the final verdict, is it up and running now???
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I have the Westinghouse 12000DF already, but wish this Duromax was around when I got my generator.

https://www.duromaxpower.com/products/16-000-watt-v-twin-dual-fuel-portable-digital-inverter-generator
sawemoffshort07
AG
Just got the part this week, plan to get it in this weekend. PN 130534 for those following along. It's still showing as not available on their parts site.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I was able to put in the Run/Stop switch, that was not it. I talked to Westinghouse and next step is to take it in somewhere, whether an authorized service shop of theirs or small engine repair shop, as it is not under labor warranty, only parts. The nearest authorized shop of theirs is in Tomball (~40 miles) from me. As much as I want to load that ~400 lb generator and drive out to Tomball, I decided to throw one more part at it first. This part, starter (50260011), should be here today and hope to get it on tonight.
pull-mark-bird
sawemoffshort07 said:

I was able to put in the Run/Stop switch, that was not it. I talked to Westinghouse and next step is to take it in somewhere, whether an authorized service shop of theirs or small engine repair shop, as it is not under labor warranty, only parts. The nearest authorized shop of theirs is in Tomball (~40 miles) from me. As much as I want to load that ~400 lb generator and drive out to Tomball, I decided to throw one more part at it first. This part, starter (50260011), should be here today and hope to get it on tonight.
Is the panel still not lighting up with the new switch? Or is the generator not running?

Yea, they did have some generators with misaligned starters, but I don't think that caused your panel not to lightup.

Keep us posted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.