Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,121 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
ag_pete09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghouse-WGen-15000-Watt-Gasoline-Propane-Portable-Generator/1001107138

Also Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-WGen12000DF-15-000-12-000-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Portable-Generator-with-Remote-Start-and-Transfer-Switch-Outlet-for-Home-Backup-WGen12000DF/310741097
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
For anyone that got the WGen12000, do yourself a favor and order a Fumoto F106N and some 3/8" ID tubing to save yourself from some very messy oil changes. The Fumoto F316L would work too, but you would need a very shallow pan to go underneath the generator if go this route.

Broke my machine in today. Ran an hour on idle and then started adding load off and on with some space heaters for another 4 hours. Had one time where it shutoff shortly into the second hour (sometime not long after I added load). Not sure what that was about, but everything was good the next 3-4 hours.

After shutting it down, I drained the oil (about half of it onto my garage floor) and changed the oil filter. Fumoto valve will be here tomorrow from Amazon so I'll install that and then fill her back up with oil. I went with the F106N and have over a foot of tubing which will extend out past the frame so I can dump right into my oil drain pan.

If anyone is interested, I put together a spreadsheet of scheduled maintenance with part numbers. I have to say Westinghouse's parts prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. See https://parts.wpowereq.com/.
ag_pete09
AG
Would you mind sharing your maintenance spreadsheet you mentioned?

Are you doing natural gas? The Nash conversion kit I mentioned is now out of stock. Wondering if you sourced anything?

Also interested if anyone has a lead on the ST switch. Thinking it would be useful during vacations for garage freezer.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I'll share tomorrow. I'm on propane so no natural gas here.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm looking at the Westinghouse 9500df. I'm assuming that's enough to run a couple of deep freezes if that was the only thing I needed to power?

May look at purchasing a small inverter generator as well for cell phones and electronics in the house.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
If you're going to do that, why not just go with the 12000DF which has a THD of <5%?

If all your going to be running is deep freezers and electronics, a large inverter generator should be plenty for all of that. Maybe look at the iGen4500.
MrJonMan
AG
khkman22 said:

Here's another option to look at. I bought it last year for $850. They periodically have it on sale and I noticed it was on sale a few weeks ago for $850-900. I've never used it, but the plan is to hook it up with an interlock switch. I didn't see anywhere in the documentation about THD, but Pulsar reps responded to several questions that it is between 3-5%. Kind of curious why they wouldn't state it on paper as it's a big deal to some people. But I thought I would take a chance on it since it has dual fuel and a 50 amp outlet. Seemed like a pretty good value overall for $850.

Pulsar dual fuel 12,00/9,500W generator

I have this generator, picked it up last summer from a guy that was hard up for cash, paid $450 with 100hrs on it. Worked great during the ice storm. Only issue was when it got to be 15-20 degrees outside, propane froze up and had to switch to gas

I plan to do the conversion kit to NG, just haven't bought it yet
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Here's the generator and a snip-it of the maintenance schedule I put together (I put these together for all my equipment). The six-digit part numbers are Westinghouse numbers and can be found here.

Note you will notice some of the "Next Service" hours are shorter than the "Service Every (hours)" figure. That is to account for initial break-in period.
RED AG 98
AG
Sorry if I missed it in the thread but have you or do you plan to add an inlet?

Looking around the forums and on YouTube I see folks are mostly adding either 30A or 50A inlets.
However, 50A x 220V = 11kW

In the case of 50A that seems awful close the max rating. In looking around various electrical sites and HD I don't see anything larger; I did also look at a few Generac installation guides and they mostly use 100A or 200A rated transfer switches that are direct wired and fully enclosed. Any idea if larger inlets are available?

(I'm a nerd that is very familiar with electricity but not at all familiar with building or codes and such)

thanks!
Burn-It
AG
I'm looking at a tri-fuel conversion kit for my Generac GP17500E. Gasoline became pretty scarce in my area on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning after the freeze. I know it is hard to come by following a decent sized hurricane.

I'm curious if anyone on here has completed this type of conversion or used this company before? If so, any advice? Any performance issues after installation? How difficult was the installation? Once installed, how easy is it to switch fuel sources?

Generac 17500E Tri-Fuel Conversion Kit
AKA 13-0
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
rdunham98 said:

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but have you or do you plan to add an inlet?

Looking around the forums and on YouTube I see folks are mostly adding either 30A or 50A inlets.
However, 50A x 220V = 11kW

In the case of 50A that seems awful close the max rating. In looking around various electrical sites and HD I don't see anything larger; I did also look at a few Generac installation guides and they mostly use 100A or 200A rated transfer switches that are direct wired and fully enclosed. Any idea if larger inlets are available?

(I'm a nerd that is very familiar with electricity but not at all familiar with building or codes and such)

thanks!
I installed a 50A inlet. I will be running on propane which is has an advertised running wattage of 10,800 W.
RED AG 98
AG
Gotcha, I would be on propane too and get that. Was just worried that was awfully close the max rating. Thanks!
winmck
S
Got my W9500DF today from Amazon. No damage signs on the box but when I pulled it out this cover was broke off. Called Amazon and they said, "just keep it, we will give you a full refund." I may go buy a lottery ticket next.

ag_pete09
AG
May need to order one of these too. Can you take the picture from a different angle?

Not really.

Congrats to you!
aggiegolf86
AG
Is this a good deal?

Just want something to run TV, laptop and internet model if the power goes out. Maybe a microwave too

https://www.samsclub.com/p/westinghouse-igen2500-super-quiet-gas-generator/prod22464751?xid=pdp_cart
txags92
AG
winmck said:

Just tell your kids it is Gene the Generator...
88Warrior
Anyone ever gotten a quote on a whole home unit through Costco?
ag_pete09
AG
Home Depot and Lowe's have the Westinghouse ST switch.

I see this as a good power backup for fridge/freezers while on vacation.

I also still want to figure out a way to pair it with a whole home auto transfer switch, but probably too high or a goal for my electrical knowledge.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-120-Volt-20-Amp-Portable-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-with-Smart-Technology-STS1/312316845?
OE_Ag11
AG
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-WGen12000DF-15-000-12-000-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Portable-Generator-with-Remote-Start-and-Transfer-Switch-Outlet-for-Home-Backup-WGen12000DF/310741097

home depot has it ship to home or store for free
Post removed:
by user
ag_pete09
AG
I've thought about that, problem is an issue of availability of what you want vs. the potential savings.

Great opportunity if it's available though.
ag_pete09
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

For anyone that got the WGen12000, do yourself a favor and order a Fumoto F106N and some 3/8" ID tubing to save yourself from some very messy oil changes. The Fumoto F316L would work too, but you would need a very shallow pan to go underneath the generator if go this route.

Broke my machine in today. Ran an hour on idle and then started adding load off and on with some space heaters for another 4 hours. Had one time where it shutoff shortly into the second hour (sometime not long after I added load). Not sure what that was about, but everything was good the next 3-4 hours.

After shutting it down, I drained the oil (about half of it onto my garage floor) and changed the oil filter. Fumoto valve will be here tomorrow from Amazon so I'll install that and then fill her back up with oil. I went with the F106N and have over a foot of tubing which will extend out past the frame so I can dump right into my oil drain pan.

If anyone is interested, I put together a spreadsheet of scheduled maintenance with part numbers. I have to say Westinghouse's parts prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. See https://parts.wpowereq.com/.

Did that valve work out for you? Probably about to order one but wanted to see if install and function worked out how you thought it would.

Did you share which inlet box you went with?

Also, I did some additional reading that said you are supposed to install a hold down on the back fed breaker (a couple stipulations where you don't have to).
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
ag_pete09 said:

Did that valve work out for you? Probably about to order one but wanted to see if install and function worked out how you thought it would.

Did you share which inlet box you went with?

Also, I did some additional reading that said you are supposed to install a hold down on the back fed breaker (a couple stipulations where you don't have to).

Valve is installed, but I have yet to fill the machine back up with oil and test everything out. I had to double up on washers as that was the only way the Fumoto valve would seat due to the way the generator casing was machined. I put a crush washer, then the Fumoto fiber washer. Hoping that will do the trick with no leaks.

I custom built an inlet box. You probably don't want to go that route... I had some of the materials handy to do so.

I have an interlok installed in my breaker box to prevent backfeed. You can likely find one for your specific panel.
ag_pete09
AG
Yes, I found the interlock I need for my panel.

I may just end up installing the inlet box inside and route the generator cable. I don't know that I want to mess with drilling through the brick plus proper conduit, etc.

I also bought a sense/wiser energy monitor to better assess my actual energy usage. A little expensive, but pretty neat to watch the the starting watts vs. running on different appliances. The WGEN12000DF should accommodate all my loads including the ACs with minimal management (unless maybe I run both ACs, electric oven, toaster oven, hair dryer, coffee pot, and more all at the same time).
Tx95Ag
AG
Westinghouse wgen12000df in stock at Lowe's.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Got my 12000DF plumbed up to the house propane with quick connect.

cb
AG
Nobody-

Great setup. Awesome advice on the Fumoto. I broke mine in this weekend and the valve was money.

Where did you get your propane connect and hose? How long? I'll be doing the same with our propane tank.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I used this elbow and hose kit:

Anderson Metals - 38116-12 38116 Red Brass Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Street Elbow, 3/4" Female x 3/4" Male https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQY9K0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H9YQ07WKDQX6CVKSPHNE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

SHINESTAR 15 Foot 3/4inch ID Natural Gas Hose with Quick Connect/Disconnect Fittings for Generator, Construction Heaters and More NG/Propane Appliance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBZR9K8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TP9K03EAQFR0S29YCCHF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
cb
AG
Appreciate it!
Bob_Ag
AG
Good thread. Got my 9500DF a couple weeks ago and broke it in at the deer lease doing chores. Great idea about the fumoto, would have never thought of it even though I've run them on several vehicles.
ag_pete09
AG
Cb and Nobody,

How did you get it off the pallet/frame? I'm sure I can figure it out but wouldn't mind the insight with how heavy it is. I don't have a lift or tractor.

Are you able to plug into 50A plug into the generator easily? I saw where some people had issues with tires in the way.

Did you float the neutral for hooking up to your house? Recommend in the manual, but not sure how critical. Maybe stops gfci from working properly.
ag_pete09
txam92
AG

Just picked up this generator myself. NOBODY: Do you happen to have a couple pictures on how you installed the Fumoto F106N that I can use for reference? Thanks!
cb
AG
Pete-

I picked it up in my utility trailer. Loaded it at the rear by the drop gate and "walked" it down the ramp off the trailer. It's heavy, but very secure to pallet and easy to scoot off the ramp. I installed the wheels while on the pallet and then had my daughter help me tilt off the pallet. Pretty easy. It will be a major PIA if trying to unload from a truck bed!

cb
AG
I haven't installed anything to my breaker panels yet.

The wheels may impede the 50A? They also impede removing the battery. However- they come off easy with a single cotter pin. Prop up one side and slide wheel off/on when needed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.