Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,083 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by pull-mark-bird
ag_pete09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like you're stealing it at that point. May be a pricing error based on "other sellers" pricing.

Says not returnable but probably worth the chance.
ag_pete09
AG
Also, it looks like the cheaper one is linked to the 9500/12000 reviews. Worth a shot and maybe you end up with a free generator since you can't return.
AgLA06
AG
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sportsman-8-750-watt-surge-watt-dual-fuel-digital-inverter-portable-generator-gen85kidf
AlaskanAg99
AG
Today is the start of Hurricane Season.

Yesterday we had a minor power outage (reasons unknown as it wasn't storming), so today I decided I should break in my new generator. Gave my neighbor a heads up I was going to run it for 5hrs and he said no problem.

It's louder than I expected, and I've yet to build an enclosure for it which will help with some of the noise as well as designing a better muffler system. It will never be 'stealthy'.

When the power was out yesterday I was somewhat surprised to only hear one Generac kick on. I have the big Westinghouse, which will run my AC unit as well.
RCR06
AG
I get the noise thing. It's not pleasant. My feeling is that I can deal with it for the small amount of times I use it. Trust me when theres no power and you have your generator going the noise will bother you much less. You'll be happy to have a few modern conveniences running like the A/C and fridge.
AlaskanAg99
AG
RCR06 said:

I get the noise thing. It's not pleasant. My feeling is that I can deal with it for the small amount of times I use it. Trust me when theres no power and you have your generator going the noise will bother you much less. You'll be happy to have a few modern conveniences running like the A/C and fridge.
That was the goal. It won't be run 24/7 either. Probably 15-18hrs a day in the event of a major storm. With a portable the goal is just to lessen the uncomfortable periods, not live like nothing happened. And mine is gasoline only, and that is not cheap at the moment, or for the foreseeable future.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AgLA06 said:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sportsman-8-750-watt-surge-watt-dual-fuel-digital-inverter-portable-generator-gen85kidf

Gonna have to look up comparisons between this and the Predator from hf. Sale price on this one is enticing!
AgLA06
AG
I kind of looked and the only thing that stood out was the noise.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've been looking at the predator 8750 inverter, noise should be similar?
But the rabbit hole brought me to this Champion 8750 inverter with 4000 reviews on Amazon for $1100 https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100520-8750-Watt/dp/B083V8VNGL?dchild=1&keywords=inverter+generator&qid=1619350453&sr=8-9&linkCode=sl1&tag=thomascom06-20&linkId=015d00284df568397be5fd5ed01401e0&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
Guessing they are all the same thing with different paint/ stickers
AgLA06
AG
Usually similar, but features can be different (plug types, run time, noise, etc).

Inverters are nice because of reduced noise and safer for electronics as well as being more compact. Trade off is usually price. Some can be run in parallel to scale up when needed or provide redundancy.
drumboy
AG
I keep eyeing the CostCo Firman but I've ready it has high harmonic distortion. Some say that risk of damaging appliances if overblown, what are the thoughts here on risk around that? I need a big natural gas generator and it fits the bill.

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100840185.html
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
THD isn't a problem running old appliances or low tech power tools. But I wouldn't trust >5% THD for a whole home Gen if you've got a microprocessor on your HVAC, thermostat, fridge, or other household electronics not protected by a line conditioner.
drumboy
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

THD isn't a problem running old appliances or low tech power tools. But I wouldn't trust >5% THD for a whole home Gen if you've got a microprocessor on your HVAC, thermostat, fridge, or other household electronics not protected by a line conditioner.
Seems like all of the generators I see in the ~$1,000 range have THD much higher than 5%. Anyone have any recommendations?
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Southpaw 07
AG
Harbor Freight Predator 8750 is $1,350 and <3% THD.

I have one but haven't run it beyond breaking it in.

Edit: Missed the natural gas requirement. You'd need to be comfortable doing a motor snorkel conversion. I plan to do one big haven't gotten to it yet.
mosdefn14
AG
Maybe you addressed it, but what is the true size requirement? You're not running a 5 ton HVAC on the one you posted. If you don't need that big, you can save quite a bit of coin downsizing to a 4500 or so. I realized there was no difference for my needs between a "big portable" and this solution, so I downsized and parallel it with a 2500 when I need to run more.

Traditional/non inverter are loud and use a ton of fuel.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Finally bit the bullet and ordered my soft starter (micro-air easystart 368 for my 4 ton 45k btu unit). Just fyi micro-air says to allow 14-21 business days for order processing, maybe they make them to order? With hurricane season here, if you were thinking about getting one don't wait
GeorgiAg
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered my soft starter (micro-air easystart 368 for my 4 ton 45k btu unit). Just fyi micro-air says to allow 14-21 business days for order processing, maybe they make them to order? With hurricane season here, if you were thinking about getting one don't wait
What does a soft starter do?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Lowers the amperage draw when the compressor starts up (with capacitors i guess)
TXAG 05
AG

4 ton is what I have, I'm curious to know how much the easy start takes it down.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I don't have an ammeter so I'll never know, but as long as i can start up and run the ac off my champion 8750 inverter I'll be happy
TXAG 05
AG
Cool. That's the same generator I'm looking at too
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've only run it a little bit with no load and changed the oil but so far so good. It's louder than i expected it to be but not like an old school one
terradactylexpress
Do the generac ones have low thd?
rao11010
AG
If anyone is looking for a mid sized inverter type generator with 120/240v and doesn't mind an open frame, amazon has the Champion 6250/5000 on sale for $725.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-6250-Watt-Frame-Inverter-Technology/dp/B07KQ2P49Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2QCNN66EA4WCB&keywords=100519&qid=1659291008&sprefix=100519%2Caps%2C251&sr=8-2
Charismatic Megafauna
AG

Supposed to arrive today. Order now to be ready for next hurricane season!
htownag2007
AG
If anyone is in the market for a decent essentially unused generator, I have this 8,000 running watt dual fuel Champion below:

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/201035-8000-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

I got this and then found the bigger Westinghouse, so I am using that as my default.
The only time this has been run is to test it out on propane when I first got it.

It looks like they are $1,000+ plus tax online, so I'd sell it for $900 if you come pick it up.

I'm in Houston close to 10 and BW8
mrmryan1 at gmail

iPanic
AG
TexAgs1998 said:

I run two Honda EU2200i in parallel. It's only 4400watts.....but I love them.

What exactly do you mean by running them in parallel?

Also, so glad someone bumped the thread.
TexAgs1998
AG
You can tie them together with a Honda parallel kit. You can tie them together and they sync load. Just google EU2200 parallel
redaszag99
Bought a diesel 25kw MQ power used on iron planet for my ranch. It helped during the ice storm this past week.

IslandAg76
AG
I've looked at some of these auctions-are you able to check them out or you just go by their write up when you buy/bid
redaszag99
I know you can check them out before a Richie Bros live auction. Not sure on iron planet but I think you can
IslandAg76
AG
so you bought yours from Iron planet-sight unseen, from the write up and photos?
RCR06
AG
IslandAg76 said:

I've looked at some of these auctions-are you able to check them out or you just go by their write up when you buy/bid

They take pretty good pictures and they will try and start it, but only turn the key and then report the results. They don't troubleshoot at all. If it doesn't start it could be as simple as a dead battery or it might also not start for a more significant reason. They allow you to inspect them or you can hire them or someone else to do a more thorough inspection. They also offer warranties on some things.
redaszag99
Did not see it, but it had low hours, lots of pictures, and a video of it running. They also have some kind of guarantee of their inspection
IslandAg76
AG
Thanks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.