Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,135 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
RCR06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Nobody Knows My Name said:

Tx95Ag said:

That Westinghouse lists THD as <23%.
Correct- I believe 9500DF is <23% but the 12000DF is <5% according to manufacture's page.
Yes. The Westinghouse 120000DF is the only low THD I've seen >7000W and not an inverter. If you want a big one, we're all waiting for that one.

Generac makes a portable with electronic fuel injection engine that is 10k starting and 8k running. I've seen a few others as well.
ChemAg15
AG
Winco makes a 9000 watt model that runs on nat gas with <5% THD. It's a bit pricier but you don't have to void the warranty with a conversion kit

https://www.wincogen.com/product/hps9000ve-03-b/
88Warrior
ChemAg15 said:

Winco makes a 9000 watt model that runs on nat gas with <5% THD. It's a bit pricier but you don't have to void the warranty with a conversion kit

https://www.wincogen.com/product/hps9000ve-03-b/

I believe Winco's are made in the U.S. as well...
alittleright
Winco is based In Minnesota. I believe that model has a Honda engine. They seem to be well built
Post removed:
by user
chase128
AG
My dad got this WEN 8750w Inverter. I'll try and report back how it is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08STWSWLH/ref=twister_B08T73L6LR?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
The 12000DF is now available in Canada...
ag_pete09
AG
But 95% of the country doesn't like energy. Wtf...
Player To Be Named Later
AG
That's a really interesting generator. Curious as to how loud it would be.
ag_pete09
AG
Maybe it will be available here soon as well. It's also a $500 premium up there even after conversion.

I lived in Calgary for 1.5 years and didn't have any power issues I can remember. No air conditioning in the house was remedied by a portable unit, which is now my go to during outages here. We were there during the floods, but had just moved out of our in town apt where the parkade flooded.
khkman22
AG
Here's another option to look at. I bought it last year for $850. They periodically have it on sale and I noticed it was on sale a few weeks ago for $850-900. I've never used it, but the plan is to hook it up with an interlock switch. I didn't see anywhere in the documentation about THD, but Pulsar reps responded to several questions that it is between 3-5%. Kind of curious why they wouldn't state it on paper as it's a big deal to some people. But I thought I would take a chance on it since it has dual fuel and a 50 amp outlet. Seemed like a pretty good value overall for $850.

Pulsar dual fuel 12,00/9,500W generator
IDAg10
AG
khkman22 said:

Here's another option to look at. I bought it last year for $850. They periodically have it on sale and I noticed it was on sale a few weeks ago for $850-900. I've never used it, but the plan is to hook it up with an interlock switch. I didn't see anywhere in the documentation about THD, but Pulsar reps responded to several questions that it is between 3-5%. Kind of curious why they wouldn't state it on paper as it's a big deal to some people. But I thought I would take a chance on it since it has dual fuel and a 50 amp outlet. Seemed like a pretty good value overall for $850.

Pulsar dual fuel 12,00/9,500W generator

I just got an email back from Pulsar support saying 8% THD @ 1/2 load. Still a lot better than most options at this size.
GQC13
AG
Okay, I think we've definitely decided to go with the portable generator (vs. whole home) option....now to figure out where to put the inlet box. Dumb question - is it possible to run the generator under our carport, or is that a recipe for death? Carport is outside the garage, and open on 2 sides (one side faces the house with an entry door, and the other side is against the (closed) garage door. Attic space is over carport, but no attic doors there (they are inside the house).
TexAgs1998
AG
I run two Honda EU2200i in parallel. It's only 4400watts.....but I love them.
ChemAg15
AG
You'll be fine.
TexCOAg
AG
Westinghouse WGen12000DF back in-stock at Home Depot and Lowes
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I was able to snag one through Lowe's as they were over a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Home Depot. Hopefully they are able to fulfill the order. Looks like they are out-of-stock again now.
ag_pete09
AG
I missed it. I didn't even get a email notification like I did on the regular one.

What was the price difference? The out of stock prices have Homr Depot as cheaper.
txam92
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

I was able to snag one through Lowe's as they were over a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Home Depot. Hopefully they are able to fulfill the order. Looks like they are out-of-stock again now.
Arrghh... I have been attempting to look daily but it looks like I was too late.
Rookie_91
AG
Lowe's price was $2180.89. I've had issues with Lowe's in the past and prefer Home Depot so I called HD and they price matched. Now I get to wait and see if it shows up.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Damn! I checked this morning, OOS, never got an email for my set alert, and damn missed it!!!
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I've mentioned this before... I set alerts on Westinghouse's, Home Depot's and Lowe's sites, but never seem to get the in-stock notifications. Thus I have been checking a couple times daily since late summer.
up-n-aTm
AG
Walked into Sutherland's to get some garbage bags. There was a Westinghouse WH6500E in the box sitting there on the floor. I asked an employee what was wrong with it- he said "nothing". It's in my garage now. Pure luck. I really needed one at my fishing cabin and this one is perfect.
ag_pete09
AG
Thanks. I got a little over confident in the system after receiving the notification from Lowe's for the gas version.

Will set up a web monitor on the dual fuel.

Did anyone ever track down a NG conversion for this generator?
BPCAg05
AG
I didn't so I just bought the Winco HPS12000HE Tri-Fuel Generator online. Not sure how long it will take to ship.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
That's quite the step up.
BPCAg05
AG
Haha yep. I got tired of looking at so many generators/sizes/fuel type/THD levels and didn't want to buy a whole home generator so I just bit the bullet on this tri-fuel. I wanted as much power as possible without having to worry about a bunch of gas/propane tanks. I've never owned a generator so we'll see how it goes...starting with how to install the wheel assembly on a 400 lb generator
TexCOAg
AG
WGen12000DF back in-stock at Home Depot, at least for the moment
aTm2004
AG
A part of me wants to buy one and then sell it as a storm is forming in the Gulf. But I'm not sure if I can be that big of an a-hole.
swampstander
AG
ag_pete09 said:

Nice, that's what I was thinking about doing as well.

Two issues for me are getting the power outside or the cord inside (breaker is inside garage midway to garage or back door with brick on back) and making room for the generator breaker.

I figured out I could possibly use my dryer breaker as I have a gas dryer and it works without it. Or I could change some breakers to tandems and shuffle a few around and down.

Here's my breaker. Any thoughts on which is a better route? Disconnect dryer or shuffle?

Pretty sure this is the interlock for your panel:

Eaton Kit

The problem is that your box is full. If you wanted to use your dryer breaker you would still have to move it. The interlock kit needs the Gen breaker to be the top double pole on the left where your A/C circuit is. You might be able to double up some of the circuits you have to make room in your panel. Your "microwave" and "vent hood" are two circuits that stand out to me. Unless you have a giant one of each there is no reason they cannot be on the same circuit. My Generator inlet is on my brick wall behind my panel. Installation is pretty easy, might need to do a little drywall work though.

Not sure about removing the power to the gas dryer though. Does it use any power for timers/ buzzers etc?

Edit: After looking back at your picture I see that your dryer breaker is off so that might be the best option. Cap the wires off in the panel and label them, swap sides with the a/c breaker, install interlock kit and generator inlet and you should be good to go.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Picking up my Westinghouse 12000DF right now!
aTm2004
AG
Better post pics!
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I will by the end of the weekend, but it really does exist and it has made it home! Pallet and box are in perfect shape which is a good start. Just waiting on someone to help me unload it.
ag_pete09
AG
Westinghouse 12000 dual fuel is in stock at Lowe's.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Where? Still showing oos for me

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.