Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

109,622 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by pull-mark-bird
sawemoffshort07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The panel only lights up when the charger is plugged into the panel and the run/stop switch is turned on. It acts normal until after the start button is depressed and normally when it would try to start, its like the panels "restarts". So maybe there is a short to the starter? Worth a shot
pull-mark-bird
Try posting your issue on power equipment forum, in the generator section, they have some savvy guys over there.

Power equipment forum
sawemoffshort07
AG
Sorry it took so long to update this. So as mentioned, my generator is still under parts warranty. Cliff notes of story to get back to current info:
- before February freeze, went to go start generator to make sure in good shape, it tries to turn once then MIA
- try several batteries of various ages (current, new on shelf, brand new) and charging (with provided charger and with "bench" charger), and jump start, nothing. The only thing I found was when charger plugged into the panel, with battery attached and run/stop switch on, the battery light would turn on. Tested fuse for continuity
- the start button would light, and after pressing would flash, but when it went to start, the panel would "restart", all lights out and then come back on
- reach out to Westinghouse about the problem, they sent a new run/stop switch (130534), that was on backorder for just about two months. I have periodically checked and it has shown and still shows out of stock on their site as of this writing
- I install the switch installed, same symptoms
- contact Westinghouse; they say its time to take it to either an authorized Westinghouse repair shop or another small engine repair shop of my choosing, and the transport and labor are on me. Not wanting to load it and drive to Tomball, as parts may be covered there, I decide I do not like this option.

Now for the update:
- I contact Westinghouse again a few days later
- I explain to them, I would like to speak to someone on their technical staff, since they expect me to install parts as a warranty solution, I should have access to their technical staff for troubleshooting. I was told someone would reach out. I get an email saying to test my battery by going to an auto parts shop, despite me telling them I tried 3 batteries, charged different ways, voltage and load tested
- I am now irritated, so I call the Tomball Authorized shop (Houston Equipment Repair) and talk to Reed, he is very familiar with this and had 3 units in there for this problem. I talk him through everything I had done and tried, he states I have done everything he would and then recommended I reach out to Westinghouse and request a replacement unit, or the following three parts (fuse and fuse holder, remote controller box (6697) and wiring harness) and if they say to take it to him, he will request the same. He went on to say this is the fix for all of them. I email Westinghouse this.
- As Westinghouse is so slow, i order the remote box as its the only PN I could find on my own or with Westinghouse help and figure I could self fix the other two if not this part
- Get the part box in and get it installed, same day get a shipping notification that Westinghouse has sent one as a warranty part. This part still resulted in the same issue, so now its down to fuse I had tested or a wiring issue.
- I go buy a fuse to replace the current one despite having tested it good; that fixed it
- The Westinghouse part comes in, I return it in the place of the one I purchased

TLDR: it was the fuse (although it tested good on continuity); if you have the same problem, per authorized repair center, its either the fuse/fuse holder, remote controller box (6697) or wiring harness. I hope this may help someone on this thread if they have the same issue
pull-mark-bird
Great in depth write up. Glad to hear it is fixed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.