Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,165 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
ag_pete09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never been able to get it to run off propane. Tried a couple times and didn't dig any further. My intent was to do a conversion for natural gas but never made the leap since I couldn't get it to work.

I saw a few videos and may try again. Not sure if it's an issue with getting propane flowing or what.

As far as noise, it's an open frame so it's pretty loud. I would think it's going to be loud regardless of fuel source. Neighbors natural gas whole home is pretty loud and cranks up every Thursday morning.

I also have a Honda 2000 which is an inverter generator and it's pretty quiet. I also contemplated the conversion but you have to drill out some of the plastic from what I remember.
sushi94
AG
Depending on how close your neighbors are - getting a quiet one won't matter much. Most people around you will have the extremely loud units most likely.
ag_pete09
AG
sushi94 said:

Depending on how close your neighbors are - getting a quiet one won't matter much. Most people around you will have the extremely loud units most likely.

Agreed.

Although when we lost power for 8-10 hours in Conroe because the hurricane hit lake Charles, my neighbor messaged me to let me know the power was back on. I happened to be at Home Depot in Spring getting some extras. I don't think he has a generator, haha.
88Warrior
Burn-It said:

Don't know squat about THD, but I ran the entire house last week on a Generac GP17500 Portable Generator. I didn't run too many sensitive devices other than the TV over an antenna connection. I didn't notice any issues. Our furnaces are gas fired, but it supplied plenty of power to run the blowers, oven, stove top, washer/dryer, dishwasher and pool pumps. I only got the thing in preparation for hurricanes, but it sure came in handy for the ERCOT ****show.

I don't see anything on the Spec Sheet that talks about power quality. Maybe one of you can tell me what I screwed up last week.

How was your gas consumption with this model?
RCR06
AG
If low noise is important to you by all means get a quiet generator. In most cases you'll only be using a generator for a few days every couple years or so. I live 30 miles from the coast and I would have only used a generator once or twice over the last 10 years. I guess what I'm saying is, in an emergency the noise your generator makes is not that important.
Burn-It
AG
It has a 16 gal tank & I refilled it ~once/day. By Wednesday morning, gas was getting to be a little difficult to find in my area, so we shut it down for a few hours after lunch to conserve, then back on for dinner & beyond not knowing grid power would be restored late that night.

If you go this option, get a decent fuel transfer pump (don't try filling straight from gas can) & have 4-5 5gal gas cans available. I have this little cheap pump, works good for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HOXQ3GU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_E81A974X3V1E1DPTV139?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Another note, this thing is a beast. I mean that in a very good way. It reminds me of some small commercial grade generators I've worked with over the years. It will last a lifetime & thensome if properly stored, operated & maintained.
AKA 13-0
88Warrior
Thanks. I'm debating between this model or spending a lot more on a whole house NG setup..I just keep coming back trying to justify how much actual benefit I will get from a $12k permanent over a $3k portable.. This is good information. Thanks again.
lctag
AG
See my post above about watts vs 50 amp plug. How would you access all 17K running watts (26K starting watts)? How would you set it up? Would you have a 50 amp into your home's panel and then run extension cords to other things?
88Warrior
I went back and read earlier posts...more good information...maybe whole house is the way to go...
RCR06
AG
I've thought about this alot for awhile. I wanted a whole home standby, but I just can't justify the cost for the amount of use it would get. It's a decision everyone has to make for themselves and their situation. I would caution anyone that's making a whole home generator purchase based on recent events. Take some time and weigh your options.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If you're going to have to hot fuel, I'd look at the Justrite Safety Cans.
They're NOT cheap, they're darn near the YETI of gas cans in terms of price. However they're durable, you can buy replacement spouts, gaskets, etc. and they pour on command and more importantly they stop pouring on command. The silver handle is actually a valve, you open by squeezing it together with the carry handle, much like a fire extinguisher.

Justrite Safety Can -- Type II 5 Gal

John1248
AG
I've got a spare cat c6.6 engine and cooling package. Just need to find me an alternator and control panel and I can build me about a 125kw generator. Not sure I want to buy the fuel for it if I have to run for an extended time though. Maybe I can sell some power to the neighbors. I hear it can go quite high.
ag_pete09
AG
Posted in another thread as well.

In stock at Lowe's.

Not the dual fuel version, but good generator with low THD.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghouse-WGen-15000-Watt-Gasoline-Portable-Generator/1000766496

$30 cheaper at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-WGen12000-15-000-12-000-Watt-Gas-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Remote-Start-and-Transfer-Switch-Outlet-for-Home-Backup-WGen12000/308474687
aTm2004
AG
Looks like the dual fuel is available here:

https://www.campingworld.com/westinghouse-wgen9500df-125009500-watt-dual-fuel-portable-generator-124917.html?cgid=generators#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Westinghouse&start=4&cgid=generators%2Fportable-generators
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
aTm2004 said:

Looks like the dual fuel is available here:

https://www.campingworld.com/westinghouse-wgen9500df-125009500-watt-dual-fuel-portable-generator-124917.html?cgid=generators#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Westinghouse&start=4&cgid=generators%2Fportable-generators
That is the smaller version and it says "Ships from Vendor". Here is the 12000DF link though which says the same:

https://www.campingworld.com/westinghouse-wgen12000df-1500012000-watt-dual-fuel-portable-generator-124919.html

My guess is while you can place an order, you may not get it for a long, long time. Secondly, I saw the 12000DF for a couple hundred less when Lowe's got them in stock a couple times since last summer.
aTm2004
AG
Yeah, I noticed after. I'm going to spin it to a positive...check out sites like this and other places you may not immediately think of (Bass Pro, Camping World, West Marine, etc).
Buck Compton
AG
ag_pete09 said:

Posted in another thread as well.

In stock at Lowe's.

Not the dual fuel version, but good generator with low THD.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghouse-WGen-15000-Watt-Gasoline-Portable-Generator/1000766496

$30 cheaper at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-WGen12000-15-000-12-000-Watt-Gas-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Remote-Start-and-Transfer-Switch-Outlet-for-Home-Backup-WGen12000/308474687
Not exactly super-portable at 350 pounds, but thanks for posting. Probably going to pick one up.

Any experience with how noisy/quiet this one is?
Tx95Ag
AG
That Westinghouse lists THD as <23%.
ag_pete09
AG
I assume you are referring to the 9500? Both the DF and Gasoline 12,000 are below 5%.

WGen12000 produces less than 5%THD
From their website. Same comment on the DF.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Tx95Ag said:

Correct- I believe 9500DF is <23% but the 12000DF is <5% according to manufacture's page.
ag_pete09
AG
Agreed on "portability". I guess I look at it as a cheaper mini "whole home" option that I can take with me if I move.

I bet it's loud. Unless you go the route of putting in an outdoor shed and install ventilation.
txags92
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Build a "Quiet Box" to house the generator and don't worry about the noise. That's my plan.

Be careful about where the exhaust goes. You can build up alot of heat and overheat your generator without any way for the exhaust to get out and cool air to get in.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Yeah- it portable in the sense that you can wheel it around- ha!

Manufacture's spec says noise level is 74 dBA.
ag_pete09
AG
While this thread is a little more active, what do you think about the ability to combine the Westinghouse ST switch with an automatic transfer switch (ATS)?

I was thinking that if the power goes out, the ATS switches to generator power, the ST Switch detects and cranks up generator, and you have the generator already plugged in from the 30A or 50A power.

Power comes on, ATS switch switches to line power, ST switch detects power and shuts down generator.

This set up would be more expensive, but also ideal if you're on vacation and the power goes out. I really don't want to come home to freezers/ fridge of thawed or refrozen food (how long did it thaw? Likely throwing it out if I don't know).
Kenneth_2003
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

Tx95Ag said:

Correct- I believe 9500DF is <23% but the 12000DF is <5% according to manufacture's page.
Yes. The Westinghouse 120000DF is the only low THD I've seen >7000W and not an inverter. If you want a big one, we're all waiting for that one.
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
The Westinghouse DF isn't available anywhere. You can probably get a NG conversion kit for it, but it's all moot if you can't buy one to begin with.

It's basically becoming the one everyone wants, but no one can find.
aTm '99
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

The Westinghouse DF isn't available anywhere. You can probably get a NG conversion kit for it, but it's all moot if you can't buy one to begin with.

It's basically becoming the one everyone wants, but no one can find.
I've been chasing it for ~6 months so I call dibs when it is available again!
ag_pete09
AG
How does everyone plan to hook it up once you find one?

Manual transfer switch, automatic transfer, backfeed breaker with interlock in panel?
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
ag_pete09 said:

How does everyone plan to hook it up once you find one?

Manual transfer switch, automatic transfer, backfeed breaker with interlock in panel?
I've already installed a 50 amp plug and breaker with interlock on my panel.
ag_pete09
AG
Nice, that's what I was thinking about doing as well.

Two issues for me are getting the power outside or the cord inside (breaker is inside garage midway to garage or back door with brick on back) and making room for the generator breaker.

I figured out I could possibly use my dryer breaker as I have a gas dryer and it works without it. Or I could change some breakers to tandems and shuffle a few around and down.

Here's my breaker. Any thoughts on which is a better route? Disconnect dryer or shuffle?

Nobody Knows My Name
AG
ag_pete09 said:

Nice, that's what I was thinking about doing as well.

Two issues for me are getting the power outside or the cord inside (breaker is inside garage midway to garage or back door with brick on back) and making room for the generator breaker.

I figured out I could possibly use my dryer breaker as I have a gas dryer and it works without it. Or I could change some breakers to tandems and shuffle a few around and down.

Here's my breaker. Any thoughts on which is a better route? Disconnect dryer or shuffle?

I'm not familiar with that type of box, but I was in a similar situation so I installed something like this in place of some of the breakers to make more room:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-20-Amp-Tandem-Single-Pole-Type-QT-Circuit-Breaker-Q2020U/100016494

This might be for yours?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-CH-2-20-Amp-1-Pole-Tandem-Circuit-Breaker-CHT2020/100574073

As far as incoming power from generator, you would potentially have to put the inlet box on the other side of your wall on the brick.
BPCAg05
AG
Is there a NG conversion kit that works with this model?
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
BPCAg05 said:

I haven't researched it as I don't need it, but I believe I ran across a third party option at some point.
ag_pete09
AG
BPCAg05 said:

I can't get link to work because of eBay app, but Nash Fuel has one. I can't speak to their credibility though.

I was going to worry about finding the generator first.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.