Outdoors
Sponsored by

Generator options

110,168 Views | 598 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by pull-mark-bird
V8Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back feeding is lazy and dumb. Be better.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Jim DeVult came by and installed this:

Now to buy the generator and AC soft start.
aTm '99
aarontx
Thanks for posting that pic of your panel. Looks very similar to mine. Going to use your pic to make a cardboard template and fabricate my own. Would be nice to save $150.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I can give you dimensions. Mine is a Square D panel.
aTm '99
aarontx
Thanks. I think I've already got it figured out using yours as a starting point.
Mdub00
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Glad to see this. He is coming out this Saturday for me.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Mdub00 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Glad to see this. He is coming out this Saturday for me.

He left a screwdriver at my house. I need to let him know I found it on my bench today.
aTm '99
Texasyankee
Got my setup running this week.
Did everything myself
Conversion kit for natural gas/propane on order.
Runs everything in my house including a/c

So happy with the results!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/StSQzDl
lurker76
Does anyone know what type of fitting is on the Westinghouse WG12000DF generator propane regulator inlet? Without checking, I bought a 15' extension hose to move the cylinder further from the generator. The hose has 3/8" NPT fittings, which don't match either the hose or the fitting on the regulator. I took it to a plumbing supply house and the counter man said the hose has a flared fitting. I want to verify that before buying a conversion fitting. It is hard to find the female flare to male npt on line. I have been able to find the female npt to male flare fitting though. I may change out the inlet fitting for a male npt x male npt adapter if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Picture below shows the fitting I'm talking about.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
lurker76 said:

Does anyone know what type of fitting is on the Westinghouse WG12000DF generator propane regulator inlet? Without checking, I bought a 15' extension hose to move the cylinder further from the generator. The hose has 3/8" NPT fittings, which don't match either the hose or the fitting on the regulator. I took it to a plumbing supply house and the counter man said the hose has a flared fitting. I want to verify that before buying a conversion fitting. It is hard to find the female flare to male npt on line. I have been able to find the female npt to male flare fitting though. I may change out the inlet fitting for a male npt x male npt adapter if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Picture below shows the fitting I'm talking about.

That looks like a flare fitting. I too have had issues finding female flare adapters. I ended up just replacing the flare with something that would allow me to connect to my vacuum pump when I ran into that with my HVAC project.

It might be easier to just buy a flared female hose and adapt that to NPT
lurker76
Thanks for the response. I already have the hose with npt fittings so replacing the regulator inlet fitting may be my best option.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I can't tell if this is just a rebranded generator or if it's something new entirely.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX-12500-Watt-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Propane-Powered-Dual-Fuel-Portable-Generator-with-Twin-Engine-XP15000EH/303116226
aTm '99
ag_pete09
AG
Looks like the dual fuel version of what they already had. From what I can tell and based off the pngtec guy's video, the Duro max appears to be the same generator as the Westinghouse 12000.

That said, I haven't found the THD on duro max and it appears to be more expensive.

Neither seem to be in stock. Set up HD and Lowe's alerts as you can. I think Lowe's may have stopped carrying it as it's not on their website anymore.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Sold my old generator to a fellow ag. And I just checked for giggles, and the microair easy start is back for sale, so I have that in bound.

I'll get that installed, then calculate my max load needs and then buy the correct sized generator. Still thinking I need the larger Westinghouse, so I have an alert from HD and I'll keep an eye on Amazon as well.

Then next up is to build a housing for it so it'll at least live near the inlet.
aTm '99
Whoop Delecto
AG
My covered patio has a 1/2" dia. propane stub out with quick connect. It was built for a propane grill, will it provide adequate flow for a Westinghouse 12000DF?

The stub is downstream of a water heater and 2 furnaces that all branch off a 1" black pipe.

Bird Poo
AG
Do any of the larger inverter generators run off natural gas? Looking to sync two of them to power my home without letting the whole neighborhood know that I have power!
RCR06
AG
Usually the lights on in your house at night are a dead give away that you have a generator.
ag_pete09
AG
PearlJammin said:

Do any of the larger inverter generators run off natural gas? Looking to sync two of them to power my home without letting the whole neighborhood know that I have power!

No room at the inn?
Whoop Delecto
AG
WhoopRAB said:

My covered patio has a 1/2" dia. propane stub out with quick connect. It was built for a propane grill, will it provide adequate flow for a Westinghouse 12000DF?

The stub is downstream of a water heater and 2 furnaces that all branch off a 1" black pipe.

Westinghouse Customer Support in response to a question on propane use:
" Good Morning So the btu rating for that unit is close to 50,000btu's Our units are set up to run on 7-14 inches of water column."

Looking at a table for Steel Pipe Sch 40, 1/2" pipe length of 150 ft has a capacity of 55 MBH and 20 ft length has a capacity of 160 MBU. So I believe the 1/2" will be adequate.
Buck Compton
AG
While it may be fine (and probably is), if you have a gas furnace, water heater, or other gas appliances running, you need to understand what the potential load is for your total house and make sure they didn't just run 1/2" into your house.

If so, then your 1/2" limit is for the whole house. Your furnace probably takes up at least half of that 160,000. A water heater is going to be another 40,000+... Not considering a range or anything else that may take up some of that gas supply on a more temporary basis.
Whoop Delecto
AG
nortex97
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I don't think so. I've tried with my natural gas line for the grill and basically it doesn't have enough even for a Predator 2000.
V8Aggie
AG
Runs my predator 3500 just fine at full load.
nortex97
AG
V8Aggie said:

Runs my predator 3500 just fine at full load.
Thx. I used the 'motor snorkel' conversion. Curious what you used?

IDAg10
AG
Anyone found a good outdoor cover for the wgen12000df? Plan on keeping mine out on our cover patio in the backyard.
lurker76
IDAg10 said:

Anyone found a good outdoor cover for the wgen12000df? Plan on keeping mine out on our cover patio in the backyard.
Nobody posted pictures on page 9 of his homemade cover from PVC and a tarp. My wife found one called Nexcover on Amazon that isn't suitable for use when running but should fit your storage needs. She also found a cover for use when running from a company called GenTent Safety Canopies. It has a side curtain to protect the electrical panel from the weather, and a zipper cover to allow access to the gas tank if you run it on gasoline.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Femuar Outdoor Generator Covers Waterproof Heavy Duty 600D Oxford Cover Universal for 5500-15000 Watt Portable Generators,38x30x28 in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P458SVM/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_glt_fabc_8V8MW6VEBC8SQYB60RPD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Like a glove
IDAg10
AG
sawemoffshort07 said:

Femuar Outdoor Generator Covers Waterproof Heavy Duty 600D Oxford Cover Universal for 5500-15000 Watt Portable Generators,38x30x28 in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P458SVM/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_glt_fabc_8V8MW6VEBC8SQYB60RPD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Like a glove

Thank you, exactly what I've been looking for!!
sawemoffshort07
AG
For those following along and replicating, when you order your natgas adapter from century, along with checking nat gas service pressure, also inquire about the 90 degree fitting as well. I talked to Zach and he is sending me me to try out. They have had customers claim the adapter does not work. It does, just not in the configuration it was sent. I think previously I mentioned needing to invert the set screw, well this fitting is to repace needing to do that
ag_pete09
AG
Thanks for the updates. Let us know how it goes and if they make changes.

Did you end up changing the orifice in your gas meter or just keep it as is?

Interlock kit getting installed this weekend.

Did anyone float the neutral?

I think I asked before and got mixed responses.

Anyone find a 50 amp cord made in USA vs China?

I have looked but the only thing I can find is for distributors to order from but all need a corporate account.
Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I just installed my interlock and am planning to buy a predator 8750 inverter this week. Hoping it'll run one ac unit and/ or the fridges and freezer. Mainly choosing it over the Westinghouse or bigger predator due to size. Anybody have experience with it?
AlaskanAg99
AG
My microair soft start just shipped. Looking forward to getting it installed so I can finally calc my power needs. This is taking forever.
aTm '99
sawemoffshort07
AG
I will keep y'all . As mentioned, inverting the set set screw worked, just not the best set up. This 90 deg will be much better and will be fully unrestricted.

The gas meter is the same. In Houston with center point, their standard meter is from 4oz to 2.5 lb, With the former being default. So just make sure to specify that to century and ask for the 90 deg fitting. Granted, I have not tried Generator full bore with running any gas appliances. Even if there were to be a hiccup, I can work around it.

Did not float neutral.

I got the cheapest option on Amazon, so I'm guessing China

Only other update is I ordered study start about 10 days ago, still hasn't shipped. I don't NEED it as it runs as is and peak at around 27A, but figure any amps I can free up the better and it's easier on the unit
ag_pete09
AG
Generator cord just arrived. Inlet box and interlock scheduled for this afternoon. Will update if the cord has any issues, but it looks good.

25' 50 amp 6/3+8/1 cord for $106 delivered. No tax to Texas. It is from Blackhorse Racing. They also have their cords on eBay and Amazon for ~$20 more plus tax and maybe shipping. Ordered Thursday July 29 and arrived Tuesday August 3 from Atlanta, GA. Box was a little beat up but cord seems fine.

https://www.blackhorse-racing.com/products/25-feet-rv-power-cord-wire-rain-proof-twist-50-amp-125-250-volt-lock-connector?_pos=4&_sid=12752ab84&_ss=r

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.