**** Hogwarts Legacy ****

27,684 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Brock Sampson
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When did yall feel like you were ready to go exploring and leave the castle. I feel like I'm plowing through story quests and haven't really left the castle except to go to Hogsmeade
Zombie
I am in no hurry to venture out yet. I am usually not a completionist when it comes to questing and side quests, but since this is my favorite fantasy world, I am doing everything I can find to do. I don't ever use the floo network. I would rather get there on my own and not risk missing something.

I have also been trying to listen to all the chatter between students. I love hearing more about the lore and finding little easter eggs.
Zombie
I'm sorry, but I had to post this article I just found. I am absolutely so sick of all this BS media crap trying to break Rowling down. I am a gay man and I have ZERO problems with Rowling. The media completely used her quotes and twisted them around. And now they are calling her antisemitic because goblins remind people of Jewish people?? This is getting completely out of hand and to give a 1/10 review??? Wired is garbage.

https://www.wired.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-review/
AgDev01
AG
They did that to get you to click on and link the article. Yes it is stupid but engagement, regardless of the motivation, all counts the same for ad clicks. Just best to ignore them.
BenFiasco14
AG
Every single review of this game written or video has an extremely long "disclaimer" about Rowling and her "views on gender identity" as they put it.

What's also annoying is that this is also attached to every single page I've looked up for help finding a treasure or solving a puzzle. I want to know where this treasure map goes. I don't care about the websites "stance" on Rowling. It's so tiring.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
The goblin & Jewish comparison has been around for decades, and it kind of has some legs if you think about the goblins' appearances, profession, and personality traits. I can't remember if it was as obvious in the books, but it should be pretty easy to pick up on when watching the movies. I don't care about it as I'm not offended by it, but I also don't think it's totally dismissible.

I didn't read that review but 1/10 due to them disliking Rowling is bs.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
When you say decades, do you mean goblins in general, or Rowling's depiction of them? Because I fail to see how she portrayed them any differently than most other fantasy depictions.

Although now I am hearing the Green Goblin say SPYDAMAN! in a different light.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do the Scottish get mad about constantly being depicted as dwarves?
chase128
AG
Heck of a game so far. Can't wait to progress enough to explore outside the castle and get more combat experience. This game was made by people who genuinely love the books and lore.

I hope they add a feature to save your appearance so you don't have to redo it each time you equip something better.

The Cross Wands duel club final was a little challenging. It being 4v2, and your partner not helping, made me up my game. My muscle memory hasn't quite gotten used to using Triangle to block, and I can't swap targets as precisely as I'd like to. Focusing more on defense was helpful.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

When you say decades, do you mean goblins in general, or Rowling's depiction of them? Because I fail to see how she portrayed them any differently than most other fantasy depictions.

Although now I am hearing the Green Goblin say SPYDAMAN! in a different light.

I mean the Harry Potter franchise's depiction of them. Would imagine it started with the movies, so not sure how much Rowling is to blame for that.

They're described as greedy and rude creatures that care about treasures; they run the Wizarding world economic system as well as Gringott's; and they are all balding with massive noses and ears. There's likely more you can find online, those are just what I can recall off the top of my head.

Not saying it was intentional, but also get how it could very easily be viewed as antisemitism. Whether intentional or not, I'm surprised there are people that haven't made the connections.

Again, I'm not complaining or offended, and honestly find it kind of funny.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
chase128 said:

Heck of a game so far. Can't wait to progress enough to explore outside the castle and get more combat experience. This game was made by people who genuinely love the books and lore.

I hope they add a feature to save your appearance so you don't have to redo it each time you equip something better.

The Cross Wands duel club final was a little challenging. It being 4v2, and your partner not helping, made me up my game. My muscle memory hasn't quite gotten used to using Triangle to block, and I can't swap targets as precisely as I'd like to. Focusing more on defense was helpful.

I really haven't found combat too challenging yet (playing on normal), but I'm coming off of playing Sekiro, so my parry skills are honed.

The biggest thing I've found to cheese through the fights so far is hitting RB (Xbox) to throw objects at people with any color shield. Then you get double damage. And holding down Y to throw the stupefy charm back at attackers every time.
Zombie
I don't see the connection because I think it's ludicrous to compare any fantasy creature to a human ethnicity. Goblins have been this way for years in many fantasy worlds. I'm surprised someone hasn't been offended by a unicorn being to masculine with a large appendage sticking out of its head!
DallasTeleAg
chase128 said:

I seem to remember this being 4v1... you had a buddy?

DallasTeleAg
I really like the various "Feat" mechanics for fights. It makes them more interesting to encounter because it keeps you from always doing the same thing. I just did one of the duelist feats where I had to levitate two enemies simultaneously and protego 8 times.

Did this during a fight with A LOT of inferi. I play on Hard and there were a lot of them, alternating between attacks you had to dodge or could protego. That fight took about 4 tries to get through while trying to also get the challenge.

I really like the mechanic of creating all of these challenges and giving you rewards for meeting them. I wish more games did this more often. These are basically little mini-games within the game itself.
wangus12
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Do the Scottish get mad about constantly being depicted as dwarves?

What's funny is this game is set in the Scottish Highlands and I've yet to hear one Scottish accent
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Damn, herbology professor Garlick could get it
DallasTeleAg
I've been thinking the same thing.
wangus12
AG
I saw on the reddit somebody already said there is a Rule 34 for that lol
BenFiasco14
AG
wangus12 said:

I saw on the reddit somebody already said there is a Rule 34 for that lol

Can confirm. Just saw Garlicks tits
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Yeah I keep casting Revelio near her with my fingers crossed
Zombie
FYI, regarding attention to detail, I followed Zenobia Noke after finding her gobstones. She actually walks around until she finds a Gryffindor kid to play with her and they have a long conversation about growing up.
DallasTeleAg
Zombie said:

FYI, regarding attention to detail, I followed Zenobia Noke after finding her gobstones. She actually walks around until she finds a Gryffindor kid to play with her and they have a long conversation about growing up.
Quit being creepy!
Zombie
I wanted to see if she actually followed the dialogue and she did. Being a former game developer, those little details really stand out to me and show just how much time they put into this game.
chase128
AG
I've been playing on hard. I played Sekiro again recently too haha. It's not the timing, it's my brain wanting to press L1 instead of Triangle haha, I'm weird. I was not wanting to use potions either
wangus12
AG
Yeah definitely want to remap Protego to a L1
DallasTeleAg
I can definitely think of some better ways to do the spell layout. I don't like having to shift between the various spell groups. I'd much rather have at least 2 groups by holding down a button to shift, not having to toggle them.
Zombie
Agreed! Trying to Protego while dueling and needing Y as a spell is a pain in the ass.
tremble
AG
Zombie said:

I'm sorry, but I had to post this article I just found. I am absolutely so sick of all this BS media crap trying to break Rowling down. I am a gay man and I have ZERO problems with Rowling. The media completely used her quotes and twisted them around. And now they are calling her antisemitic because goblins remind people of Jewish people?? This is getting completely out of hand and to give a 1/10 review??? Wired is garbage.

https://www.wired.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-review/

These people are legitimately ill.
DallasTeleAg
I have really been enjoying the combat more and more. Once you start filling a few spell groups and are chaining combos and swapping around, while being attacked by 5 or 6 enemies at once, it really feels like I'm having a magic fight and competently wielding the magic.

I also really appreciate how challenging the fighting is. I was afraid they would make this game too easy, but playing on Hard is actually challenging and winning fights feels rewarding.
Saxsoon
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I can definitely think of some better ways to do the spell layout. I don't like having to shift between the various spell groups. I'd much rather have at least 2 groups by holding down a button to shift, not having to toggle them.
This is probably my biggest issue

Toggling feels a little wonky. And protego should have a mapped button like Revelio
Saxsoon
AG
I love Accio to bring someone(s) to me and then Incendio is the AOE ability unlocked
Madmarttigan
AG
I get bored of single player games easily but I'm awful tempted to try this out as a HP nerd.
Formerly tv1113
chase128
AG
I was totally not aware that Petrificus Totalus was unlocked during the library sneak mission. Was it mentioned and I completely missed it?
DallasTeleAg
I thought this was unlocked when you're with Professor Fig for the first trial.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What build are you guys going after? I'm going full death eater.

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/hogwarts-legacy-best-most-powerful-character-builds-talents/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.