**** Hogwarts Legacy ****

27,705 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Brock Sampson
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got through the main story just in time for Like a Dragon Ishin dropping tonight
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
FatZilla
AG
Wildmen06 said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Found a glitch where if your gear is full, you lose whatever is in the chest you tried to open, just a heads up.
is that new? i have had my gear full numerious times and never lost the item.

Its only the rare large chests or looting that causes a cutscene where you can lose the gear. I have lost multiple items and had to reload a save to get it back.

Example cutscene one is when looting the corpse of the ghosts body when you are after the slytherin ring (house specific) for the house elf by the lake. If you are full when you loot his body, which causes the cutscene showing the statues coming alive, you just lose the loot and get an inventory full message.
Zombie
I just realized I am a complete idiot. For some reason, my Xbox series x had reverted back to 1080p. I've played up to level 25 without it being in 4K with Ray tracing on…..I thought the game was beautiful before…..
Brock Sampson
AG
Getting a broom is a game changer. Map is huge
CAR96
AG
How do you get a broom?

Heck...I can't even seem to figure out how to start a mission. I seem to hap hazardly start one sometimes.
chase128
AG
Progress through the main story quests and you'll get a broom.
CAR96
AG
Yes...a quest. How do you start a quest?

Each time I select one from the 'Quest' tab....it's a 50/50 shot that the quest even begins.
chase128
AG
I'm not sure the trouble you could be having. I would select a quest I wanted to focus on from the Quest Menu. You hover over it and press X on PS5 to start tracking it. Then when you exit the menu, it will show up above your mini map. Sometimes pressing Up on the D-pad will put out a golden line in front of you to follow. Not all quests will let you do that, though.

Sometimes the next quest in the quest chain doesn't show up immediately. You might check your Owl Post tab in the menu for any unread mails. Reading those can activate quests sometimes.
HometownAg22
AG
You can also press locate on the map which helps me out when I can't find it.
DallasTeleAg
CAR96 said:

Each time I select one from the 'Quest' tab....it's a 50/50 shot that the quest even begins.
...how old are you? It sounds like you've never played a modern video game.

You go to the Quests menu and select the quest. You should then be tracking the quest. When you select a main story quest, which are usually highlighted to be such, then it progresses the story when completed. When you see a person with an icon over their head from a distance, that means they may have a side quest.

When a quest is selected as your active quest, press 'Up' on the d-pad, you will then be given a magical path to follow to your next objective.

This really is a puzzling question you are asking. It's like asking someone how to start the game after you buy it from the store...
bodaciousbood14
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

CAR96 said:

...how old are you? It sounds like you've never played a modern video game.

You go to the Quests menu and select the quest. You should then be tracking the quest. When you select a main story quest, which are usually highlighted to be such, then it progresses the story when completed. When you see a person with an icon over their head from a distance, that means they may have a side quest.

When a quest is selected as your active quest, press 'Up' on the d-pad, you will then be given a magical path to follow to your next objective.

This really is a puzzling question you are asking. It's like asking someone how to start the game after you buy it from the store...
In his defense, I would like it better if the side quests showed up as yellow like the main quests do if you have it selected as the "active" quest. It took me a minute to figure out the side quests stayed black/grey on the map.
chase128
AG
I'd go easy on them haha. They posted earlier in this thread when they were having a lot of trouble with some of the fights at the beginning of the game (something with a troll? might have been the Hogsmeade troll fight?).

Anyway, it was a funny question to ask from our point of view, but they could be a person who really loves Harry Potter, saw the game, and dove in while not being totally familiar with modern gaming.
DallasTeleAg
chase128 said:

I'd go easy on them haha. They posted earlier in this thread when they were having a lot of trouble with some of the fights at the beginning of the game (something with a troll? might have been the Hogsmeade troll fight?).

Anyway, it was a funny question to ask from our point of view, but they could be a person who really loves Harry Potter, saw the game, and dove in while not being totally familiar with modern gaming.
That's why i didn't just ridicule but also did my best to answer. I still am a little flabbergasted at the question.
CAR96
AG
I don't mind the abuse comments, that '96 is the name is there for a reason.

I like the game, don't consider my self a gamer, but don't understand why when I select a quest it sometimes seems to 'activate that golden string' and sometimes it doesn't. I have a hard time figuring out why the quest doesn't activate.
chase128
AG
Sometimes there's not a direct path to the quest point, or the game wants you to find your way through a dungeon area yourself, or there might be some items you have to collect which could be collected in various ways.

I can't think of a specific example, but at the very least it should highlight a general area to proceed to on the map or some instructions on how to progress.
CAR96
AG
Maybe I have started several and haven't finished them?

Tried to work on the quest that will unlock 'expelirarmus' and it sends me to talk to a professor..a woman and I can not remember her name...she comments but then nothing activates the 'golden string'. I have no idea on how to proceed.

When that golden string activates...I am good. I know what to do. Just can't figure how why it doesn't activate even when I select the quest from the menu.
chase128
AG
To get Professor Hecat to teach you that spell you have to complete an "assignment" for her. You have to hurt five enemies using Incendio and dodge ten attacks. If you're on that part of the quest, it should show up in the quest log page and list out these two things.
Jim01
AG
Still enjoying the game but the "Gear inventory is full" is annoying as hell. They need to start you with more slots. I mean I've hit probably 50-75 chests that I couldn't get because I'm full. This early in the game that's annoying.
HometownAg22
AG
Sell your stuff while you can. Or destroy green ones if you can't. You will learn more later in game
powerbelly
AG
I always sell stuff before starting a new mission that will likely yield a lot of stuff. I also don't save anything. I either use it or sell it.
AgFan247
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Still enjoying the game but the "Gear inventory is full" is annoying as hell. They need to start you with more slots. I mean I've hit probably 50-75 chests that I couldn't get because I'm full. This early in the game that's annoying.

The flow of the game is definitely weird. They want you to knock out Merlin trials to get more inventory slots but you have to progress the main quests to get the spells to knock out the Merlin trials.. I went too far with side quests to start and got 10-15 levels past some of the main quests and now I try to keep my main quests in line with my level.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Even with legendary gear, there is no point on holding on to it until you have maxed out your character level. You will get something better within 15 minutes. Sell or destroy everything you don't need.
BowSowy
AG
CAR96 said:

If the quest is in your quest tab, the quest has already begun. If you try to track it and it doesn't show you the turn by turn navigation, it's probably because they intentionally disallowed that feature because they want you to explore or figure something out. But from my experience thus far, it's not even close to 50/50 in regards to quests that allow tracking vs. not, so I'm not sure where the hang-up is for you.

If all else fails, you can play this game like "old school" RPGs where you have to read the quest objectives and figure out where you need to go.
chase128
AG
Finished the game the other day on Hard. Fun experience overall, very casual, took me about 36 hours. I got about 75% of my Field Guide done. Combat was super fun. Exploring Hogwarts and Hogsmeade was a real treat.

Mid to late game I realized despite the map being quite large, there was a lot of copy/paste going on and the stuff to do in the overworld wasn't that rewarding. I think most of it hinges on how simple the loot is in this game. Some recent open world type games I've played for comparison: Ghost of Tsushima, Elden Ring, Horizon 2. In those games you'd find items/equipment in the world that could change your gameplay style, but in Hogwarts Legacy it's just another piece of gear with 10 more offense.

-I stopped doing Merlin Trials after 28 gear slots. It wasn't a bother for me to sell loot, doing the Merlin Trials got meh after a while.
-I stopped doing the Ancient Magic spots after 4 bars. Wasn't necessary by any stretch to need that much Ancient Magic.
-I was done with beasts once I got my vivariums set up, didn't take long.
-I spent most of my time in the overworld looking for bandit camps to attack. I couldn't get enough of the combat.

The companion side quests were pretty good. I liked Sebastian's and Poppy's quest lines. The Playstation exclusive quest in Hogsmeade was great, too.

The game seemed to be more about enjoying being in the "Harry Potter world" and that was fine. My brain defaults to playing open world RPGs a certain way: trying to optimize my character, being super focused on stats and equipment and skills. This game wasn't so much about that, for me anyway, but it was still fun to run around in, especially Hogwarts.
Brock Sampson
AG
I do like how you can customize whatever gear you are wearing regardless of what you actually have on. Cool concept.

Sell all gear you aren't wearing whenever possible. Quick access to hogsmead makes it easy.
OnlyForNow
AG
How old are you? How long do you think it'd take you to beat Zeldarcirina of Time?

It doesn't seem like 36 hours to play and beat the game is a lot, these days. Assuming you're not 'speed running'.
Zombie
I'm at 29 hours in, and only 40% total progress. I've done A LOT of exploring and have 79% field guide done. I just finished the second trial so that's where im at main quest line. I do have all the spells and alohamora III. This first run through I plan to get to 100% everything before I finish the main quest. I think this is truly the only way to experience this game for what it's worth. My ooor controller left button is going to be broken soon due to all my revelio casts!

With that said, this has been one of the most wonderful experiences I have ever had in a game. As an avid Potterhead and lifetimes gamer and developer, I have never experienced anything like this and the way I have felt playing. It is far more immersive than I could have ever dreamed. The ONLY Thing that could make this experience any better is when im able to do this all in VR.
aezmvp
Your poor 4090 won't be able to keep up in VR, lol.
Jim01
AG
Just beat the first trial.

I swear I sit down at lunch to just play a little and the an hour and a half has gone by.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Saxsoon
DallasTeleAg
Gah... too bad about that boycott...
Wildmen06
AG
I think the main reason I bought it on launch day was because of the boycott...
chase128
AG

This is interesting
Zombie
This makes a ton of sense. We found this to be detrimental when we were developing Auto Assault and kept telling the team it was too boring. Same with Skyrim. Until they started releasing DLC and mods, the game became pretty desolate. GTAV has mastered this with there always being something to do. I foresee the growth of Hogwarts to be infinite at this point. I have stood behind these developers for a long time. I know a few of them personally and my son and I played the hell out of Infinity. Can't wait to see what's in store for the future after I get platinum on this version!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.