**** Hogwarts Legacy ****

27,701 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Brock Sampson
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wangus12 said:

I find it hilarious that people hate her so much. Its not like she is constantly talking about or advocating against things.
Honestly, I think it's only a thing on Twitter. I've never once heard someone talk it in the real world. No one really cares. HP is still one of the best selling books every year.
wangus12
AG
I don't know several game media outlets brought it up in there preview of the game when there isn't any justification in it.
cr0wbar
AG
TIL I learned what a TERF was...

Debating on starting this or the Deadspace remake first. Might have to watch a few gameplay videos and check this out. Patronus MFER!
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Quote:

No one really cares. HP is still one of the best selling books every year.
I regret not reading the books when they initially came out. I missed out big time. I hadn't even seen all the movies until about 3 years ago. Saw Sorcerer's Stone shortly after it came out and thought it was goofy, so I never continued.

Reading through the books now and they're all great. Going to make sure my kid reads them when he's old enough.
IrishAg
I find it crazy that the Harry Potter universe, in its lifetime, has now been hated and supported at one time or another by pretty much every political faction out there without the content changing. It is mind boggling.

For me, when it comes to books or other entertainment, I'll judge it on the merits of what I see and how I interpret the concepts, then I'll make my determination. But I want to discuss those concepts with others. Banning discussion on something is just as bad as whatever ideal you're wanting to hide from. If you're worried about the discussion becoming something it shouldn't be, then get off your ass and moderate the discussion.
Saxsoon
AG
AustinAg2K said:

wangus12 said:

I find it hilarious that people hate her so much. Its not like she is constantly talking about or advocating against things.
Honestly, I think it's only a thing on Twitter. I've never once heard someone talk it in the real world. No one really cares. HP is still one of the best selling books every year.

Sadly I did. Living in Seattle I had friends who went to pub trivia nights specific to Harry Potter. We made a trip years ago specific to go to universal in California for hp land. They all have sworn her off and thrown their Harry Potter stuff away
javajaws
AG
IrishAg said:

I find it crazy that the Harry Potter universe, in its lifetime, has now been hated and supported at one time or another by pretty much every political faction out there without the content changing. It is mind boggling.

For me, when it comes to books or other entertainment, I'll judge it on the merits of what I see and how I interpret the concepts, then I'll make my determination. But I want to discuss those concepts with others. Banning discussion on something is just as bad as whatever ideal you're wanting to hide from. If you're worried about the discussion becoming something it shouldn't be, then get off your ass and moderate the discussion.
Right? It's crazy. At first all the conservative types hated on potter for embracing "witchcraft", etc. Now that JKR has expressed her beliefs that men are men and women are women...well, that doesn't sit will with they who shall not be named but the conservatives are now in love with her!

But by far, its the leftists that are over-reacting. When you move to ban outright conversation and discussion you have stepped over the line. Of course they only do that because because they cannot tolerate anyone who does not think identical to them. This whole being woke thing has to stop - nothing good comes from hate and intolerance. Accept each other for who they are. You don't have to like everyone in the world and you certainly don't have to be liked by everyone either.

Anyway...already pre-ordered the game (thanks for the discount link above!). Can't wait to start whipping that wand around.

Does anybody know what kind of wand itemization/crafting there will be?
bluefire579
AG
hph6203 said:

Limited Run Games is a little shop that produces small lots of games for typically digital only titles. It is not a major publisher, it's a boutique. The controversy is that a trans activist noticed that the social media manager of Limited Run Games was excited about Hogwarts Legacy. In an effort to get her fired for that evil act the activist perused their follows list on Twitter, called them out as a transphobe for following accounts like Libs of TikTok, and then pulled up a 6 year old tweet about bathroom bills and the creepy weirdo from Canada that sued to force beauty salons to wax their balls.

Hogwarts legacy is selling like crazy in part due to counter boycotts over the boycotts.

It's all pretty stupid.
Once again, Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises in the world. Any boycott or counter boycott was always going to be an absolute drop in the bucket for what the fandom is, and attributing sales numbers to the latter is absolutely wrong. I mean, she made her first public anti-trans comments in 2019, and Harry Potter mobile games have surpassed $1 billion in revenue in that time. Harry Potter World brings in millions of visitors a year. Even the last entry in the Fantastic Beasts series, which was by all accounts not a good movie, topped $400 million in the box office.

All this noise about people hating her views and calling for boycotts, and others turning around and wanting to support her because of these views, is just that. Noise.
bodaciousbood14
AG
bluefire579 said:

hph6203 said:

Limited Run Games is a little shop that produces small lots of games for typically digital only titles. It is not a major publisher, it's a boutique. The controversy is that a trans activist noticed that the social media manager of Limited Run Games was excited about Hogwarts Legacy. In an effort to get her fired for that evil act the activist perused their follows list on Twitter, called them out as a transphobe for following accounts like Libs of TikTok, and then pulled up a 6 year old tweet about bathroom bills and the creepy weirdo from Canada that sued to force beauty salons to wax their balls.

Hogwarts legacy is selling like crazy in part due to counter boycotts over the boycotts.

It's all pretty stupid.
Once again, Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises in the world. Any boycott or counter boycott was always going to be an absolute drop in the bucket for what the fandom is, and attributing sales numbers to the latter is absolutely wrong. I mean, she made her first public anti-trans comments in 2019, and Harry Potter mobile games have surpassed $1 billion in revenue in that time. Harry Potter World brings in millions of visitors a year. Even the last entry in the Fantastic Beasts series, which was by all accounts not a good movie, topped $400 million in the box office.

All this noise about people hating her views and calling for boycotts, and others turning around and wanting to support her because of these views, is just that. Noise.
I'd love to be able to know how many ree kids scream about this game and then buy it anyway
bluefire579
AG
Probably about the same number as anyone who complains about athletes/actors/whatever and still watches.
rangerdanger
AG
bluefire579 said:

Probably about the same number as anyone who complains about athletes/actors/whatever and still watches.

I'd argue that the controversy the review outlets are manufacturing is going to boost sales. JK will be laughing all the way to the bank.
chase128
AG
wangus12 said:

Thanks for sharing this video. I think the combat looks pretty fun.

I'm pretty surprised that such a lesser known studio got the ability to do this game. Surprised it's taken so long for a game like this to even come out.
Cromagnum
AG
Looks like a stiffer, blander, version of the Witcher with a Harry Potter veneer.
powerbelly
AG
Cromagnum said:

Looks like a stiffer, blander, version of the Witcher with a Harry Potter veneer.
I don't see that at all.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The fighting system looks very interesting to me.

My main issue with some of these types of games that are coming out right now is that they have so much story, yet not enough new ways to complete challenges.

I loved the first 40 hours of Assassins Creed Valhalla, for example, but the back half got pretty repetitive. Especially if you are trying to 100% complete everything.
DallasTeleAg
Valhalla got boring much faster, for me.

I really hope these "open world" games start taking more from games like Breath of the Wild or Elden Ring. Open world is fine, but I don't want 10,000 different markers on my map that I have to check out. Use the world and creativity to make me want to explore.

I also hate games where I have to tediously collect a bunch of crap around the map.
dtkprowler
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Valhalla got boring much faster, for me.

I really hope these "open world" games start taking more from games like Breath of the Wild or Elden Ring. Open world is fine, but I don't want 10,000 different markers on my map that I have to check out. Use the world and creativity to make me want to explore.

I also hate games where I have to tediously collect a bunch of crap around the map.

"Take more from games like Breath of the Wild" and " hate games where I have to tediously collect a bunch of crap around the map" does not compute. Shrines and korok seeds say hello
DallasTeleAg
You don't have to collect Koroks if you don't want to. Also, the devs don't populate your map, giving you hundreds of things to do. You literally come across an interesting "something" while exploring, and are rewarded for figuring out a puzzle. Same thing with Shrines. There are enough that you don't have to go to them all, but they provide fun puzzles when you find them.

This is not even in the same realm as a game that makes you find the 30 "whatevers" in each region of the map. It's like the difference between a quest with a good story line in an RPG, or a quest to go kill 30 boar and collect their tusks. One is is much more fun than the other.

If that doesn't compute, then I don't know what to tell you.
IrishAg
I would love it if it was an updated version of Fable with a larger open world and more diverse skill creation
chase128
AG
Elden Ring was a master class in world design and leading a player to interesting places without putting icons everywhere.
YouBet
AG
I tried playing Fable a couple of years ago and had to abandon it. The controls were terrible and it just played weird.
IrishAg
YouBet said:

I tried playing Fable a couple of years ago and had to abandon it. The controls were terrible and it just played weird.

Are you a console gamer or a PC? It was very much made for the original Xbox so the controls were based around a controller. But once you got into the game it was pretty intuitive and light weight.
Tabasco
AG
powerbelly said:

Cromagnum said:

I don't see that at all.
I'm gonna double down, with Witcher 3 being my 2nd favorite game of all time (TLOU). I also don't see the comparison at all.
dtkprowler
AG
Lol relax Francis. It was a joke.
powerbelly
AG
Tabasco said:

powerbelly said:

Cromagnum said:

I don't see that at all.
I'm gonna double down, with Witcher 3 being my 2nd favorite game of all time (TLOU). I also don't see the comparison at all.
I put a couple of hundred hours into Witcher 3 and really don't understand the comparison, other than being 3rd person.
Tabasco
AG
On some level I find the gay mafia hilarious. JKR did a Q&A just before her women are women comments (Transphobic... she is terrified of trans people apparently) and she essentially said Dumbledore was gay, the the shouting exuberation of the crowd. She threw them a huge bone, but because she made simple comments that women are women etc, things got lit. Just ridiculous. To call her "transphobic" is disingenuous. For the record, I am going off my memory of things as they transpired, and have not researched if she is actually scared and fearful of transexuals.
Tabasco
AG
powerbelly said:

Tabasco said:

powerbelly said:

Cromagnum said:

I don't see that at all.
I put a couple of hundred hours into Witcher 3 and really don't understand the comparison, other than being 3rd person.
same
Tabasco
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Maybe so, but I sincerely hope that the irony of posting that on a thread for a children's video game isn't lost on you.
This comes across as smarmy and haughty. Might not be your intent. Just an observation.
agdoc2001
AG
Hey, I'm posting on the kids game thread too!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
Tabasco said:

On some level I find the gay mafia hilarious. JKR did a Q&A just before her women are women comments (Transphobic... she is terrified of trans people apparently) and she essentially said Dumbledore was gay, the the shouting exuberation of the crowd. She threw them a huge bone, but because she made simple comments that women are women etc, things got lit. Just ridiculous. To call her "transphobic" is disingenuous. For the record, I am going off my memory of things as they transpired, and have not researched if she is actually scared and fearful of transexuals.

You have it right. She's not transphobic. That's a largely made up word to label people who aren't allied with the movement.

She simply believes there are two sexes and that women are getting pushed aside in favor of men who think they are women.
JJxvi
AG
The current lexicon is TERF or "Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist"
FightinTexasAg15
AG
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Trying to read reviews of this game or look at discussions on the game all devolve into this dumb nonsense and it's exhausting. I just want to know if the game is good or have a discussion about the game without all the other garbage
DallasTeleAg
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Trying to read reviews of this game or look at discussions on the game all devolve into this dumb nonsense and it's exhausting. I just want to know if the game is good or have a discussion about the game without all the other garbage
Welcome to 2023.
tlepoC
AG
Welp I just purchased a PS5 under the guise that we needed it for my wife, a non gamer, to experience Hogwarts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.