*****Bills vs Bengals*****

56,141 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redag06
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught said:

jokershady said:

Saw a video that this could be commotio cortis….which is that instance where the right amount of force and the perfectly wrong time triggers cardiac arrest….

Pure speculation but would make sense in this instance…
This was my wild ass guess too. It would fit the scenario. And with early CPR and early defibrillation his odds would be pretty good. Just a hopeful guess.

Twitter doctors, but it does give some explanation of what could have happened

annie88
AG
I saw it when it happened and my first thought wasn't a super hard hit. It was a heart attack. But I know if your hit at the right time things can happen like this. I've heard of these cases before. Not in football, but other situations.

Kind of a freak thing.
annie88
AG
wangus12 said:

I also absolutely despise that the press are outside the hospital.

This is a horrible thing that happened to this young man and I pray that he will be OK but but the media is just going to be so over the top on this.
annie88
AG
annie88 said:

I saw it when it happened and my first thought wasn't a super hard hit. It was a heart attack. But I know if your hit at the right time things can happen like this. I've heard of these cases before. Not in football, but other situations.

Kind of a freak thing.

Update:

Medaggie
I initially thought cardiac contusion with arrhythmia, vascular tear but if CPR/defib got his cardiac activity back then Commotio Cordis most likely. His prognosis now depends on how well he got brain perfusion during this event.

Commotio Cordis is extremely rare, we talk about it in medicine but almost never see it.
PatAg
AG
I feel like its not very ethical for doctors to put videos out speculating like this, its always weird
2012heisman
Really shocking. Prayers to the family.
BeastmodeAg
AG
This is beyond tragic. Millions of people saw this young man go into critical condition.. the entire world seems to be watching. Let god be with this young man and make it out safely.
Anti-taxxer
AG
annie88 said:

annie88 said:

Kind of a freak thing.

Update:

What does the yellow check mark mean? (Next to Buffalo Bills; it would normally be blue)
jokershady
AG
Yellow check mark is a verified business
jokershady
AG
Don't know how to post but apparently his toy drive fundraiser is over 3 million right now
Know Your Enemy
AG
jokershady said:

Don't know how to post but apparently his toy drive fundraiser is over 3 million right now

$3.25MM right now
redag06
I know not all of that money is from Bills fans, but bills fans started this money raising for players charities 5 years ago, for non other than Andy Daltons charity.

They are the best fan base in the league.
BMX Bandit
don't see this game being played. they went home last night as is the norm, and even though its a quick flight, they for sure won't be a game tonight. Wednesday is theoretically possible, but I don't see it. Bills will just live with having one less game and take the 2 seed (with a win)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Hodor said:

wangus12 said:

cone said:

question

do training staffs not have AEDs on the sidelines?

I'd doubt it. Plus that ambulance has way better equipment. I've worked EMS at A&M games and they didn't have them, but that was over a decade ago

I'm pretty sure that the paramedics have one on the ambulance. Would definitely have a monitor/defibrillator on board.

There was a player for Westlake, committed to tu a decade ago who collapsed during a game. Lots of doctors there (including both of his parents). Got CPR, survived. Ended up getting an AICD (implanted defibrillator), and medically retired from the sport. tu honored his scholarship, IIRC. I'm fairly certain that AEDs are now standard sideline equipment here at least

I think that actually happened vs Consol here in College Station? I think I was there that night and yes, it was a scary situation and the medical staff on site got plenty of accolades for acting quick.
The Porkchop Express
BMX Bandit said:

don't see this game being played. they went home last night as is the norm, and even though its a quick flight, they for sure won't be a game tonight. Wednesday is theoretically possible, but I don't see it. Bills will just live with having one less game and take the 2 seed (with a win)
They both have pivotal games to the playoff seeding coming up - Bengals vs. Ravens on Saturday and Bills/Patriots on Sunday so I can't imagine them also playing Wednesday.

I would guess the NFL is weighing two options: 1) Seed them on winning percentage and roll with that.

2) Push the post-season back a week and eliminate the week off before the Super Bowl so that Bengals/Bills can finish the game in a "Week 19" and then go into the post-season. Since nobody has a set date at their stadium anyway, it would not mess up any schedules. They rescheduled games and moved the post-season in 2001 after Week 2 games were not played after 9/11. No reason they can't do it again.
BCG Disciple
AG
BMX Bandit said:

That would be a frustrating result. 1 seed with a bye and home field advantage throughout is a massive deal. Basically what the season is even played for. I do not know how to do it, but they should find a way.
redag06
Option 2 is the only option.

Last year they had to change the overtime rules after the bills/chiefs game.
No way you can just GIVE the chiefs a playoff bye and home field because of this, especially when the bills own the head to head and SOS over the chiefs.
BMX Bandit
and its not just the #1 seed. #2 was also up for grabs for bengals if they beat bills.

so play bills/bengals on 1/15? you'd lose the week off before playoffs, which NFL won't like, but that really is the most equitable way to proceed.

if you are the chiefs and end up #1 isn't ideal to have 2 weeks off, but no solution is going to be perfect.

of course, Hamlin's condition may dictate how any of this proceeds. if he's still in critical condition saturday, do Bills play this week? terribly sad situation for him and his family.
Aust Ag
AG
Almost a no-win situation for the NFL....I don't know what the heck they end up doing. Unchartered territory.
Aust Ag
AG
Medaggie said:

I initially thought cardiac contusion with arrhythmia, vascular tear but if CPR/defib got his cardiac activity back then Commotio Cordis most likely. His prognosis now depends on how well he got brain perfusion during this event.

Commotio Cordis is extremely rare, we talk about it in medicine but almost never see it.
Yes, very rare. I hope the "anti-football" crowd doesn't use this event to pile on.
W
AG
that's a good question too...will the Bills be ready to play by Sunday?

cancellation of last night's game seems the likely solution unless the NFL is willing to give up the week between the championship games and the Super Bowl
62strat
AG
BMX Bandit said:

if they win and chiefs lose, they get #1 seed right?
13/16 is better than 13/17.
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

cancellation of last night's game seems the likely solution unless the NFL is willing to give up the week between the championship games and the Super Bowl
The Bills better damn well be ready to play by Sunday. I think the best solution is to play Wednesday/Sunday to get both games in.

This situation isn't without similar precedent (no matter what the talking heads say) and the game Sunday will be played or forfeited by the Bills.
ToddyHill
AG
Here's a good video that details what might have happened last night....

commotio cordis
double aught
AG
Aust Ag said:

Almost a no-win situation for the NFL....I don't know what the heck they end up doing. Unchartered territory.
I'm sure they could charter a plane if needed.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
W said:

Sorry W, but this is a silly question. Stuff happens in life and people keep moving on. Brett Favre went out the day after his Dad died and threw for 399 yards and 4 touchdowns. A week is more than enough time for a team to refocus. If anything, they may come out more motivated to win for Hamlin. Last night was a freak accident. I doubt Hamlin would want them to quit playing. Those players are not fragile.
W
AG
it would depend on Hamlin's condition.

the players have a whole lot more power on these kinds of things than they did back in the day
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

BMX Bandit said:

They both have pivotal games to the playoff seeding coming up - Bengals vs. Ravens on Saturday and Bills/Patriots on Sunday so I can't imagine them also playing Wednesday.

I would guess the NFL is weighing two options: 1) Seed them on winning percentage and roll with that.

2) Push the post-season back a week and eliminate the week off before the Super Bowl so that Bengals/Bills can finish the game in a "Week 19" and then go into the post-season. Since nobody has a set date at their stadium anyway, it would not mess up any schedules. They rescheduled games and moved the post-season in 2001 after Week 2 games were not played after 9/11. No reason they can't do it again.
They could theoretically finish last night's game tomorrow and then move both the Bills & Bengals Sunday games to Monday to give them a day back to prepare.
Aust Ag
AG
Yep, if Hamlin's condition takes a turn for the worse (or worst), all bets are off.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

They could theoretically finish last night's game tomorrow
Theoretically, sure. But will they? Extremely doubtful.
EastSideAg2002
Draw straws and get it over with
redag06
Know Your Enemy said:

The Porkchop Express said:

BMX Bandit said:

They could theoretically finish last night's game tomorrow and then move both the Bills & Bengals Sunday games to Monday to give them a day back to prepare.
I think the league has something about not allowing teams to travel and play on the same day. That would mean the Bills would have to get back to Cincy tonight, which isn't happening.

The implications of this game mean too much for the AFC standings, and the league knows that, I'm sure they are running through every scenario, but know that it is difficult until they have a status of Hamlin
jokershady
AG
Someone here posted a scenario where the game is played during a normal postseason bye week or just push everything back a week to allow the game to take place.

A few pages back and seemed like a reasonable idea without having to squeeze in 2 games in a short period of time.
rackmonster
AG
This has happened before.....Oct 24, 1971. Tiger Stadium, Chicago Bears at Detroit Lions.

Chuck Hughes was a back-up wide out for the Lions. He wore #85. Late in the game, the Lions trailed 28-23. With 1:02 left in the game Hughes was running back to the Lions huddle and suddenly collapsed and went into convulsions. There was no contact involved. Dick Butkus, MLB for the Bears, leaned over Hughes and became immediately alarmed and frantically motioned for the Lions medical staff. Hughes was taken off the field on a stretcher and declared dead at the hospital at 5:35 local time....but he was actually dead on the field. He is still the only NFL player to die on the field.

I was in high school in 1971. Chuck Hughes was a familiar name to me because he spent his first 3 NFL seasons (67-69) with my Philadelphia Eagles. He was born in Philadelphia, but moved to Texas with his family as a child. He attended Abilene High School and played his college ball at Texas Western (now called UTEP). He still holds numerous records there and was inducted in UTEP HOF in 2006. He was a 4th round pick by the Eagles in 1967. He was mainly a back up, but very reliable when given the opportunity.

An autopsy revealed that Hughes had congenital heart disease....and very advanced for a man that young. One of his arteries was 75% blocked. He had complained of chest pains earlier in that season, but continued to play. He left behind a wife and a 1 year old son. He was buried in San Antonio, Tex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.