*****Bills vs Bengals*****

56,133 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redag06
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Neither team should play until this weekend. I doubt either of them is in mental shape to play a game tomorrow. I hope the Bengals are giving lots of support to Tee Higgins since he's the one that collided with Hamlin. That can mess a guy up even in a total accident.
swimmerbabe11
one of my non religious friends posted on Facebook how powerful and moving it was to see how the players so immediately turned to prayer. I didn't even think of it as the time, but seeing him point it out.. powerful testimony of faith from the men on the field.

horrible situation, but everyone handled it absolutely the best way they could.

strong kudos to Taylor for stepping out to say that the teams needed more time.
annie88
AG
rackmonster said:

This has happened before.....Oct 24, 1971. Tiger Stadium, Chicago Bears at Detroit Lions.

Chuck Hughes was a back-up wide out for the Lions. He wore #85. Late in the game, the Lions trailed 28-23. With 1:02 left in the game Hughes was running back to the Lions huddle and suddenly collapsed and went into convulsions. There was no contact involved. Dick Butkus, MLB for the Bears, leaned over Hughes and became immediately alarmed and frantically motioned for the Lions medical staff. Hughes was taken off the field on a stretcher and declared dead at the hospital at 5:35 local time....but he was actually dead on the field. He is still the only NFL player to die on the field.

I was in high school in 1971. Chuck Hughes was a familiar name to me because he spent his first 3 NFL seasons (67-69) with my Philadelphia Eagles. He was born in Philadelphia, but moved to Texas with his family as a child. He attended Abilene High School and played his college ball at Texas Western (now called UTEP). He still holds numerous records there and was inducted in UTEP HOF in 2006. He was a 4th round pick by the Eagles in 1967. He was mainly a back up, but very reliable when given the opportunity.

An autopsy revealed that Hughes had congenital heart disease....and very advanced for a man that young. One of his arteries was 75% blocked. He had complained of chest pains earlier in that season, but continued to play. He left behind a wife and a 1 year old son. He was buried in San Antonio, Tex.

That's very interesting. I looked it up.
double aught
AG
jokershady said:

Someone here posted a scenario where the game is played during a normal postseason bye week or just push everything back a week to allow the game to take place.

A few pages back and seemed like a reasonable idea without having to squeeze in 2 games in a short period of time.
They couldn't play during the week after the regular season ends. Because at least one of them would have a playoff game to play. Only one team in the AFC gets a bye. They'd have to push the entire postseason back aside from maybe the super bowl.
annie88
AG
Don't they usually have two weeks between the last playoff game and the Super Bowl? If that's the case, that might be the answer.

Meaning, pushing all the playoff games back a week. Obviously not playing this game after the playoffs.
jograki
AG
I felt the same. So many posts of prayer from sports leaders around the country. That image of the whole team on their knees was so touching.
Lake08
annie88 said:

Don't they usually have two weeks between the last playoff game and the Super Bowl? If that's the case, that might be the answer.

Meaning, pushing all the playoff games back a week. Obviously not playing this game after the playoffs.

U can't push games back. Logistically a disaster
redag06
Lake08 said:

annie88 said:

Why? Those teams don't know where or who they will be playing yet, so logistically not an issue.

You can't move the Super Bowl, that would be a logistical nightmare, but just eliminating the extra week in between the Super Bowl isn't an issue.
Lake08
redag06 said:

Lake08 said:

annie88 said:

Why? Those teams don't know where or who they will be playing yet, so logistically not an issue.

You can't move the Super Bowl, that would be a logistical nightmare, but just eliminating the extra week in between the Super Bowl isn't an issue.

Pro bowl that week. HUGE corporate week
62strat
AG
Lake08 said:

redag06 said:

Lake08 said:

annie88 said:

Pro bowl that week. HUGE corporate week
oh yeh.. we all forgot, money is more important than safety.

lol.
nai06
AG
NFL has said the game will not be resumed this week but left the door open for a later date

AgEng06
AG
Looks like the NFL rules require this game to be completed, at some point...

The Porkchop Express
2001 season - September 11th attacks occurred on the Tuesday before Week 2. All those games were rescheduled from September 16-17 to January 6-7.

All playoff games including the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl were moved up a week. There was no week off between the AFC/NFC title games and the Super Bowl, which was Patriots over Rams at the Superdome.

Now, that as probably easier because they knew about it in September, not on January 3. But it's completely doable.
W
AG
a lot rides on the result of Chiefs-Raiders on Saturday.

if KC wins...then Bills-Bengals needs to be resumed

if KC loses...then cancellation of Bills-Bengals becomes a better option
BMX Bandit
W said:

if KC loses, then Bengals could get #1 seed if they beat Bills. don't think that's a "better option" for cancelling
62strat
AG
W said:

you have this backwards.

If Chiefs win, they get the conference.
If they lose, then bills could be potential conference winners if they win the last 2 games.
redag06
62strat said:

W said:

you have this backwards.

Chiefs loss means bills could be conference winner if they potentially finished this bengals game and won.. Chiefs win, and a 17th bills game doesn't really change anything, so may not need to finish it.
If the Bills win out (with a 17th game) and the Chiefs win out, the Bills have #1 seed. The bills have the head to head over the Chiefs
BCG Disciple
AG
62strat said:

W said:

you have this backwards.

Chiefs loss means bills could be conference winner if they potentially finished this bengals game and won.. Chiefs win, and a 17th bills game doesn't really change anything, so may not need to finish it.

No. A chiefs loss and bills win means the bills would win the conference even if they lost to Cincy. So no point to play for the bills. HOWEVER, a chiefs loss with bills and cincy both winning means the chiefs would have the #2 and cincy would have the #3 because cincy didn't get to play the bills games.
62strat
AG
redag06 said:

62strat said:

W said:

you have this backwards.

If the Bills win out (with a 17th game) and the Chiefs win out, the Bills have #1 seed. The bills have the head to head over the Chiefs
meant to clarify - if chiefs win next week and bills lose, then the bengals/bills game doesn't matter.

jjtrcka22
Psycho Bunny said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wow.
If Skip was looking to be the number one hated guy in America, he defiantly did it with this post.
Wow. I've seen so much hate over this tweet. It was not the best worded post obviously, but some people are acting like it was the worst thing ever said. I didn't think about it at the time before he said it, but the NFL is going to be in a tough spot rescheduling that game. Also, like he said, that all seems very irrelevant after watching what happened with Damar Hamlin.

Maybe people didn't read the whole tweet? I guess he should have lead with the irrelevant part. I think some people just want to target their anger / frustration at something or someone.

And skip says plenty I don't like.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It was more the timing of the tweet, in my opinion. Admittedly I ****ing hate Skip and refuse to watch anything he's on because he's worthless but it was very tone deaf at the time he tweeted it.
ac04
skip is an absolute clown, his entire bit is trying to get a reaction. he's not an analyst, he's an attention *****. the world would be a better place if people just ignored him.
htxag09
AG
ac04 said:

skip is an absolute clown, his entire bit is trying to get a reaction. he's not an analyst, he's an attention *****. the world would be a better place if people just ignored him.

Agree. "He could have worded it better or timed it better"……

Well, he probably purposefully worded and tweeted it when he did because he knew he'd be trending…
Know Your Enemy
AG
Nothing is worse than his fake Kyle Rittenhouse crying routine he made on the air this morning. Unfortunately a friend sent it to me and I didn't have the willpower not to watch the stupidity.
The Porkchop Express
It's much more than just the top seed, however. If the Ravens beat the Bengals this weekend, the Ravens are 11-6 and the Bengals are 11-5. You can't tell the Ravens they don't have a shot at the division title because Cincy isn't going to play the last game.

Agzonfire
62strat said:

redag06 said:

62strat said:

W said:

you have this backwards.

meant to clarify - if chiefs win next week and bills lose, then the bengals/bills game doesn't matter.

You sure about that? If Chiefs lose next week, Bengals winning out would give them the Conference since they won H2H with Chiefs. But if game is never played, Bengals have no way of catching up.
Texas A&M
I'm not a huge fan of Matt Walsh, but he nails this one....

The Porkchop Express
Is it OK with Matt Walsh if I hate Skip Bayless for being an insufferable ******bag who inserts himself into every situation?
double aught
AG
Texas A&M said:

I'm not a huge fan of Matt Walsh, but he nails this one....

Man, I love all of this. Internet culture is largely a wasteland of BS.
Texas A&M
The Porkchop Express said:

Is it OK with Matt Walsh if I hate Skip Bayless for being an insufferable ******bag who inserts himself into every situation?
SB is a sports commentator (but definitely not one of my favorites). This was the biggest sporting event on TV even before the episode on the field. God forbid he share his thoughts.
htxag09
AG
My opinion, I'm not upset by that post in the least. It doesn't offend me, hurt my feelings, I'm not going to get my pitchfork and try to cancel SB.

But I am aware enough in reading that post to absolutely expect that lots of people will be pissed. I'm also aware enough with SB's history that he probably did it purposefully to get attention.

That's why I'm more or less annoyed by it.

Not everything is one extreme or the other. I can be annoyed by that tweet and not be an internet snowflake/justice warrior wanting to cancel someone.
batchuser
jjtrcka22 said:

Psycho Bunny said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I
Wow.
If Skip was looking to be the number one hated guy in America, he defiantly did it with this post.
Wow. I've seen so much hate over this tweet. It was not the best worded post obviously, but some people are acting like it was the worst thing ever said. I didn't think about it at the time before he said it, but the NFL is going to be in a tough spot rescheduling that game. Also, like he said, that all seems very irrelevant after watching what happened with Damar Hamlin.

Maybe people didn't read the whole tweet? I guess he should have lead with the irrelevant part. I think some people just want to target their anger / frustration at something or someone.

And skip says plenty I don't like.

I worked with a relative of skip's for years. I got the impression they were estranged. She eventually mentioned it to me. The only thing I remember her telling me is that he was a soda addict
Mookie
AG
Not that kind of coke addict.
Frok
AG
Quote:

This is how it goes on the internet. You are pretending to be angry. But you know you aren't angry. And I know it. And we all know that none of this is real.

Haha, so true. The outrage was that someone tweeted the thought that everyone had. That same discussion was being had on Texags at that moment but suddenly it was terrible when Skip tweeted it.

kyledr04
AG
Yeah, it was an obvious question to wonder what they'd do about the game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.