BREAKING: Several Houston police officers shot

75,127 Views | 524 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Righteousgemstone
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Rangers can be called in. It will take HPD or the DAs office to do that. I would expect that to happen. FBI could get involved also because of public corruption.
cbr
AG
cbr said:

1 i am friends with lots of leo's
2 i am all for good law enforcement
3 i am extremely harsh on real criminals

However,
4 not saying it is, or even is likely, but i am just going to point out that people might should reserve judgment;

It has certainly happened that a bunch of hpd barged in on totally innocent people and filled them full of lead in their sleep in their own houses. That was largely covered up for a long time. Many people keep weapons ready against home invasions. It is entirely possible, though unlikely, that the suspects had done absolutely nothing wrong except shoot back against a home invasion.

Aaaaand at risk of being an 'i told you so' jerk, im just going to leave my first (very unpopular at the time) post from page 2. I bring it up not to be a jerk, but to circle back and say i know more about hpd's sausage making than most. And the only thing all that unlikely about it was two innocent victims got some effective return fire in.

I have a friend that is hpd and has a very high kill count himself. I have a friend that lives in the houston criminal justice system. I knew turner before he was mayor, and he is not any kind of decent texan imo. I worked with a lot of hpd, sherrifs, constables at one point.

People need to be very careful of law enforcement. They need more appropriate support, but also much more oversight, and we need to absolutely abolish 90% of the laws and jurisprudence that give them their direction, leeway, and goals.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

The article about Goines being untruthful in a previous case would not open for me
This might be the article that was linked...

Houston police officer in drug raid had previous allegations against him
SW AG80
AG
cbr, I certainly disagree with your belief that we need to do away with most of the powers law enforcement uses to combat the bad guys. But this is without a doubt a bad deal that looked fishy from the get-go. Looking for black tar heroin in a white neighborhood is out of the norm. The neighbors not seeing any signs that this couple had been selling drugs. The lying officers past problems and, from what I have learned, 2 bags of heroin found in the officer's car all scream problems.

There will be fallout from this and not just in Harris County. law enforcement throughout the state will feel the effects from this and I anticipate the state legislature will react since this happened during a legislative session. Bad, bad bad all the way around.

Edit: Thanks for the link to that article. I am a retired elected District Attorney and, as mentioned above, am still somewhat active and do some teaching. If I was the Harris County DA, my decision would be easy. I would concede error on the one case that is still on appeal that Goines was the case agent on and I would dismiss all other cases in which Goines was an active participant. The good guys--prosecutors and law enforcement--HAVE to do things the right way. I cannot ask a jury or judge to send a person to prison if I don't believe law enforcement officers or the confidential informant who are involved in the case.

The long term repercussions may be bad. Bad facts make bad law. Law enforcement across the entire state may lose some abilities that help fight crime. And, is spite of what some think, very, very few cops cross the line and do things the wrong way.
cbr
AG
Make them do real policework right, respect due process, and only work real crimes. Then back them up with executions for conviction for serious crimes. Pretty simple. No ex con culture. No repeat offenders. But no....
dBoy99
AG
It was a redirect from google. Here's the direct link: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-police-officer-in-drug-raid-had-previous-13621276.php

Some of you are pathetic
BQ_90
AG
Send in the Houston Crime Lab, oh wait
captkirk
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Goines also has a really bad habit of fabricating evidence. This isn't his first time.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiskIDAssDgAhWoy4MKHTjlCUwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonchronicle.com%2Fnews%2Fhouston-texas%2Fhouston%2Farticle%2FHouston-police-officer-in-drug-raid-had-previous-13621276.php&psig=AOvVaw3YZC4hAmf2DIXGeJTyLlJB&ust=1550411351170776
Dude sounds like bad news. There were certainly red flags all over the place
wbt5845
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

wbt5845 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

The gunman has been put down, according to Mayor Sylvester Turner.

F whoever did this... I hope it was slow and painful
Someone defending their home against an illegal police raid?

Mark this down as a lesson for me not to rush to judgement... I am sorry for doing so, especially given the facts that are out now.
It's cool - most police (I think) are decent people trying to keep our community safe. But there are a few bad eggs out there for sure.
Mose Schrute
AG
Thanks! Appreciate your insight on this thread.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fortunately the public has tremendous power over the elected officials who are ultimately responsible for this and that pressure is usually quite effective if applied aggressively by the voting public. The government often allows these legal actions to go forth or settles. Sovereign Immunity does not protect AT ALL against criminal corruption. If a government official commits a crime, they have no protection.

Public corruption has to be treated harshly and aggressively. It is intolerable. But law enforcement is also a necessary function of government for maintaining some reasonable level of public order, so we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater. They need to be able to do what is lawful and expected of them but with proper and adequate oversight.
beanbean
I'm reading the story about the history of Goines and I'm picturing him as Vic Mackey from the Shield.
SW AG80
AG
I do not live in Harris County, but the voting public there does not give me any confidence of making the right decision on any issue.
W
AG
looks like the strategy will be to blame Goines for everything...so everybody else in the department can skate
agdaddy04
AG
W said:

looks like the strategy will be to blame Goines for everything...so everybody else in the department can skate

Hope that's not the case.
ABATTBQ11
AG
W said:

His supervisors need to be fired, and everyone else needs to be moved. If he's been continuously praised for his excellent work, then his supervisors obviously aren't doing their jobs and there's a good probability that there are others like him who just haven't been caught.
Nosh
I'm upset the cops broke the law to bust real drugs dealers. Do some good old fashioned police work, the right way.
Nosh
cbr said:

cbr said:

1 i am friends with lots of leo's
2 i am all for good law enforcement
3 i am extremely harsh on real criminals

However,
4 not saying it is, or even is likely, but i am just going to point out that people might should reserve judgment;

It has certainly happened that a bunch of hpd barged in on totally innocent people and filled them full of lead in their sleep in their own houses. That was largely covered up for a long time. Many people keep weapons ready against home invasions. It is entirely possible, though unlikely, that the suspects had done absolutely nothing wrong except shoot back against a home invasion.

Aaaaand at risk of being an 'i told you so' jerk, im just going to leave my first (very unpopular at the time) post from page 2. I bring it up not to be a jerk, but to circle back and say i know more about hpd's sausage making than most. And the only thing all that unlikely about it was two innocent victims got some effective return fire in.

I have a friend that is hpd and has a very high kill count himself. I have a friend that lives in the houston criminal justice system. I knew turner before he was mayor, and he is not any kind of decent texan imo. I worked with a lot of hpd, sherrifs, constables at one point.

People need to be very careful of law enforcement. They need more appropriate support, but also much more oversight, and we need to absolutely abolish 90% of the laws and jurisprudence that give them their direction, leeway, and goals.
Nosh
In your professional opinion, what does "very few cops cross the line and do things the wrong way" mean?
Alta
AG
So did they really not recover the .357 revolver that they said Tuttle was using? Or do they not list it because it was supposedly used in the invasion? I find that (among a bunch of other things) really strange. If they didn't recover it then why would they ever state he had that specific weapon? Finally, what type of weapon do most cops carry?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
cbr said:

They need more appropriate support, but also much more oversight, and we need to absolutely abolish 90% of the laws and jurisprudence that give them their direction, leeway, and goals.
That's the heart of the matter. Even if these people had been absolutely, positively, 100% guilty of doing exactly what the informant "said" they did, the idea that the appropriate response to that is a military-style raid on their home is daft. As stated by their neighbors, they weren't bothering anybody, as far as I can tell.

The absolute best light that could have been cast on this thing is that two low level dope dealers and their dog got killed and a bunch of cops got shot, and over what? Some dime bags of dope and a cheap revolver?

The fact that this is increasingly looking like "innocent victims of a police frame up" obscures the fact that the system that allowed this to happen is broken in the first place.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dBoy99
AG
Nosh said:

I'm upset the cops broke the law to bust real drugs dealers. Do some good old fashioned police work, the right way.

How certain are we that they were drug dealers? Maybe the cops went and killed a guy who had a little weed, some deer rifles, and two duck guns.

Some of you are pathetic
quanah
Nvm, already posted
captkirk
AG
quanah said:

It turns out the cops lied to obtain the search warrant, they said an informant bought heroin from the residence, but no such thing ever happened. They planned to plant evidence at the scene, two bags of heroin were found in one of the officer's vehicles, and none at the home. The cops murdered those two people, they never had any probable cause to be there, much less execute a no knock raid.

https://abc13.com/amp/warrant-informant-didnt-buy-drugs-from-couple-killed-in-raid/5140341/?__twitter_impression=true
I wonder what the motive for doing this was?
Madman
AG
Maybe it was just another notch on the belt so to speak. Pick poor people that can't mount a legal defense and pin a crime on them.

Cop gets another gold star in his folder.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Let the Art Acevedo PR campaign begin.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=46604
bmks270
AG
How many innocent people did these cops put in jail?

The mastermind behind this raid should get the death penalty.
Nosh
dBoy99 said:

Nosh said:

How certain are we that they were drug dealers? Maybe the cops went and killed a guy who had a little weed, some deer rifles, and two duck guns.

Yes you're right, and that wasn't the point of my post. Whether he was (and esp if he wasn't a dealer) I'm upset that cops were the criminals here.
FriscoKid
AG
Nosh said:

They weren't drug dealers. Not at all.
W
AG
I agree.

however with all the statements coming out about..."don't paint with a broad brush"...and "not indicative of the whole police force" etc..,

it's setting up for everything to be dumped on one maybe two officers. The chief and the union have already revealed their defense so to speak
BQ_90
AG
W said:

I agree.

however with all the statements coming out about..."don't paint with a broad brush"...and "not indicative of the whole police force" etc..,

it's setting up for everything to be dumped on one maybe two officers. The chief and the union have already revealed their defense so to speak
Last thing the Chief wants is people questioning how HPD operates. If their chief or mayor had any balls all no knock warrants should be banned u til they can come up with system that guarantees this doesn't happen again
SW AG80
AG
Nosh said:

In your professional opinion, what does "very few cops cross the line and do things the wrong way" mean?
After giving this alot of thought, I typed out a lengthy and well thought out response. Then it suddenly disappeared. I won't re-type it all. The 2 in Houston in this case are criminals. There are very few of those in law enforcement. I sent a sheriff to prison when I was DA. Another sheriff in Presidio County went to the pen. These 2 were criminals. In the last 10 years 2-5 were prosecuted in the RGV, as was the DA in Brownsville, Of course, I am not counting the ones who get DWIs or even family violence cases. Those don't have anything to do with their profession.

Most of the problems are caused by officers who are not smart enough to know what they are doing is wrong. Felony stupid, like the current Texas Attorney General.

For the ones calling for no more "no knock" warrants, they are certainly over used. But they are absolutely needed. When LE rolls up to a house at 6:00 am of a known Mexican Mafia member with security cameras on every corner of the house, cops might as well be wearing a target as they stand at the door and knock. They do a job I want no part of, and I have accompanied them on search warrants in west Texas, San Antonio and Houston.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I have a friend that is hpd and has a very high kill count himself.
What is your friend's "kill count?" Most policemen can go their whole careers without ever having to fire a gun in the line of duty. A guy with multiple kills should be pretty notorious.
FrontPorchAg
dBoy99 said:

Nosh said:

So, most of this bored
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
BCG Disciple
AG
Cops found a weed and a little coke. Clearly they were users and not dealers. The main SS officer leading the bust had heroin in his car, which was likely to be planted had he not gotten shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.