BREAKING: Several Houston police officers shot

75,071 Views | 524 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Righteousgemstone
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I don't really get the cops strategy either. Why can't they utilize other tools at their disposal instead of busting in old school style

David Koresh went jogging every morning, but instead of arresting him then, they did a commando raid. Stupid.

Similar thing here. The bad guys leave the house at some point. Quietly pick them up, one by one.
cbr
AG
Ag for Life said:

cbr said:

I am totally against this antifa/blm/anti cop stuff but this union guys' statement is off base as well.

Officers are not being 'targeted' in this case. When cops bust in a door, they know they are going to be shot at. They are instigating violence.

If they are correct, and the people inside are extremely bad actors that are a danger to society, then doing that work is a heroes' job, but they know the bad guys are sure to shoot back.

If they are incorrect, well, many or most people are going to react to their door being kicked in with gunfire. And that is a tragedy no matter how it goes down.

You shouldnt bust in doors unless there is an extremely high level of confidence in what you are doing, for instance that

1 everyone inside is either an extremely dangerous criminal or is a victim in immediate danger
2 they have the element of surprise
3 the suspected crimes and the evidence expected to be recovered is worth the high risk to everyone involved

Honestly i cant comprehend the stupidity of it all. We have **** all over pre-conviction freedom and due process, but also **** all over everyone by failing to punish convicted criminals. If these suspects were serious criminals, what are the odds they have a prior record? High. Very high. If we would just execute serious criminals officers wouldnt have to risk themselves over and over again like this.

I don't really get the cops strategy either. Why can't they utilize other tools at their disposal instead of busting in old school style. I've probably watched too many movies but what about cutting holes in some of the windows and gassing them out? Cut power/water/gas to the house and wait them out? Flash/concussion grenades? Run the house over with their fancy APC and then pick off the runners with snipers?

I know I'm getting a bit ridiculous but there's a very high probability you're gonna get shot doing it the way they did. There have got to be better strategies out there.
Wow. Gas attacks, snipers, and apc's in our neighborhoods against unconvicted people are not at all what i was getting at. I mean....not at all. How can that even cross your mind?
TRADUCTOR
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I don't really get the cops strategy either. Why can't they utilize other tools at their disposal instead of busting in old school style

David Koresh went jogging every morning, but instead of arresting him then, they did a commando raid. Stupid.

Similar thing here. The bad guys leave the house at some point. Quietly pick them up, one by one.

From the CNN video, Just dont know, like getting Roger Stone off the streets you have to be fully armed, geared, prepared, unannounced and stealth.
Boo Weekley
cbr said:

Ag for Life said:

cbr said:

I am totally against this antifa/blm/anti cop stuff but this union guys' statement is off base as well.

Officers are not being 'targeted' in this case. When cops bust in a door, they know they are going to be shot at. They are instigating violence.

If they are correct, and the people inside are extremely bad actors that are a danger to society, then doing that work is a heroes' job, but they know the bad guys are sure to shoot back.

If they are incorrect, well, many or most people are going to react to their door being kicked in with gunfire. And that is a tragedy no matter how it goes down.

You shouldnt bust in doors unless there is an extremely high level of confidence in what you are doing, for instance that

1 everyone inside is either an extremely dangerous criminal or is a victim in immediate danger
2 they have the element of surprise
3 the suspected crimes and the evidence expected to be recovered is worth the high risk to everyone involved

Honestly i cant comprehend the stupidity of it all. We have **** all over pre-conviction freedom and due process, but also **** all over everyone by failing to punish convicted criminals. If these suspects were serious criminals, what are the odds they have a prior record? High. Very high. If we would just execute serious criminals officers wouldnt have to risk themselves over and over again like this.

I don't really get the cops strategy either. Why can't they utilize other tools at their disposal instead of busting in old school style. I've probably watched too many movies but what about cutting holes in some of the windows and gassing them out? Cut power/water/gas to the house and wait them out? Flash/concussion grenades? Run the house over with their fancy APC and then pick off the runners with snipers?

I know I'm getting a bit ridiculous but there's a very high probability you're gonna get shot doing it the way they did. There have got to be better strategies out there.
Wow. Gas attacks, snipers, and apc's in our neighborhoods against unconvicted people are not at all what i was getting at. I mean....not at all. How can that even cross your mind?
I think the union guy's statement was on point, the timing was just off. He's probably been waiting to go on this rant for some time now and figured it was his chance since the cameras were finally on him. Society (on the left and in minority communities) has gotten so "anti-cop" it is ridiculous...and, while there certainly are a relative few "bad apples", their "F the po-lice" sentiment is largely unfounded and is dangerous when spread.

Also, do we know that they kicked the doors down? The fact that a handful of officers were shot makes me wonder if they weren't sitting ducks or caught off guard with the gunfire somehow.

You are right though, if you are kicking doors down, you better be assuming there is at least one gun ready to fire at you on the other side.

But regarding the guy's statement, it's a thankless job and I think cops are tired of getting shot at and being treated like sh**. They make like $50k/year salary and constantly have to deal with scum, many of whom are dangerous.
Rapier108
From the press conference.

First officer entering was armed with a shotgun.

He was attacked by a pitbull which he shot and killed.

First suspect opened fire with a .357 magnum, striking the first officer. A female suspect went for the dropped shotgun, and the other officers shot and killed her. The rest was a gunfight between the first suspect and the officers.

First officer is 54, and has been shot 3 times in the line of duty, first in 1992 and again in 1997 before yesterday.

One officer they the family has asked nothing be released, but from the chief's comments, it sounds like this officer's condition is the most serious.

There are no body cameras.

The people in the house were Rhogena Nicolas, 58, white female and Dennis Tuttle, 59 white male.

They did not discuss their criminal history if any.

Found in the house
Weed
White powder (likely either cocaine or fentanyl)
Two 12 gauge shotguns, one 20 gauge shotgun, one .22 rifle, a Remington 700
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Fenrir
What reason would there not be a body camera?
Old Tom Morris
Quote:

Rhogena
This sounds like some sort of disease. My Rhogena has flared up. I can barely sit down.
Rapier108
Fenrir said:

What reason would there not be a body camera?
I would assume because the officers work undercover narcotics.

Body cameras are mostly for patrol officers, and sometimes detectives.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
Old Tom Morris said:

Quote:

Rhogena
This sounds like some sort of disease. My Rhogena has flared up. I can barely sit down.
It does, but that is how the chief spelled it, twice, during the press conference.
BQ_90
AG
Rapier108 said:

From the press conference.

First officer entering was armed with a shotgun.

He was attacked by a pitbull which he shot and killed.

First suspect opened fire with a .357 magnum, striking the first officer. A female suspect went for the dropped shotgun, and the other officers shot and killed her. The rest was a gunfight between the first suspect and the officers.

First officer is 54, and has been shot 3 times in the line of duty, first in 1992 and again in 1997 before yesterday.

One officer they the family has asked nothing be released, but from the chief's comments, it sounds like this officer's condition is the most serious.

There are no body cameras.

The people in the house were Rhogena Nicolas, 58, white female and Dennis Tuttle, 59 white male.

They did not discuss their criminal history if any.

Found in the house
Weed
White powder (likely either cocaine or fentanyl)
Two 12 gauge shotguns, one 20 gauge shotgun, one .22 rifle, a Remington 700

Well I guess I'm going to chalk it up for bad reporting or something. But it seemed like the media was talking about how they used members of the gang taskforce for this raid. Its that just wrong info or did the LEOs not do any surveillance of the property. I'm gonna second guess this and say they could have taken these 2 people out leaving the house. I'm not saying they aren't drug dealers but it doesn't seem to be a gang ring or what they police thought was going on in that house.
Big Al 1992
AG
Sounds like the suspects thought they were Walter White and Jesse, but they were more like Badger and Skinny Pete.

Praying for the officers and their families.
themissinglink
AG
The suspects photos...

BMX Bandit
b_rad said:

Wonder why acevedo didn't describe the suspect/dealers that were killed? Hhmmmmmmm.....

Hmmmm
Beau Holder
AG
b_rad said:

Wonder why acevedo didn't describe the suspect/dealers that were killed? Hhmmmmmmm.....
From hot take to freezing cold in mere hours.
whatthehey78
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I assume you are unaware that nearly ALL PD's are understaffed with little (if any) likelihood of meeting its staffing needs. Using officers in the patient manner you suggest is not sustainable and actually makes staffing even more futile with fewer officers on the street. With all due respect, why don't you go volunteer your services and wear their shoes for awhile?

Yeah...I didn't think so.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
aggielostinETX
AG
So the cops shot each other?
CanyonAg77
AG
whatthehey78 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I assume you are unaware that nearly ALL PD's are understaffed with little (if any) likelihood of meeting its staffing needs. Using officers in the patient manner you suggest is not sustainable and actually makes staffing even more futile with fewer officers on the street. With all due respect, why don't you go volunteer your services and wear their shoes for awhile?

Yeah...I didn't think so.
Personal insults are all you have?

And getting five officers shot and off duty for months certainly sounds like an efficient use of understaffed departments.
CanyonAg77
AG
Deats said:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how two people shot 5 cops.
WES2006AG
AG
b_rad said:

So b_rad why do you think Acevedo decided to not describe these scum bags?

Must be some huge conspiracy right?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Only 4 were shot

The 5th was a knee injury
98Ag99Grad
AG
Suspect info

• The couple had been in this house since 1998 ( listed on the marriage lisence from then anyway)
  • Male has no criminal history in Harris county
  • Female wrote a bad check in 2010 but paid restitution and case dismissed
  • No other criminal history in US Ch2 could find

justcallmeharry
S
Old Tom Morris said:

Quote:

Rhogena
The "R" is silent.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Suspect info

• The couple had been in this house since 1998 ( listed on the marriage lisence from then anyway)
  • Male has no criminal history in Harris county
  • Female wrote a bad check in 2010 but paid restitution and case dismissed
  • No other criminal history in US Ch2 could find

this makes one wonder if the police were thinking easy time creating havoc so likelihood of bad guy shooting back was low....but busting down the door then shooting the dog....strong-arm tactic didn't work to their advantage
aggielostinETX
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Deats said:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how two people shot 5 cops.

And they said he only shot one guy before they lit him up...

And that cop has been shot 3 ****ing times
The Debt
Love Gun said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

50 yr old sgt
50 yr old sgt flown
54 yr old sr case agent, shot before
54 yr old, flown
33 yr old.

Sorry, chief was hard to follow there

That is some old officers they've got kicking doors.
ItsA&InotA&M
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I agree that Koresh was fubar. There were children in that compound.

In January 2016, in Harris County, there were approximately 300,000 outstanding warrants with some people having more than 1 warrant. So patiently waiting for them to come outside would be impracticable .
Additionally, bringing the action outdoors puts innocent civilians at risk. A person would be naive (not a personal attack) to think that once the bad guys are outside they would go meekly with the police.
sts7049
AG
b_rad said:

want to retract this now that you've seen the suspects' pictures?
FrontPorchAg
You have obviously never shot a bullet through sheet rock. Moving people outside doesn't endanger more people. It separates them from stashed firearms.

There are plenty of ways to get outside of a house. Kicking in doors with armed suspects in a layout you do not know or understand might be the worst way.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
98Ag99Grad
AG
So did neighbors see a bunch of drug activity at the house and that's why the cops were called? These people had no record so I'm assuming they weren't on law enforcement radar
MaroonStain
AG
Out of all threads and info on this site over the last two weeks, this incident in Houston has me the most confused.

Five 50-year old cops serve a warrant on two meth heads. One cop offs a dog, two suspects are shot and killed, four cops are shot and one cop blows out their knee. Infighting between cops, male meth head was a marksman with shotguns, WTF?!?
thirdcoast
AG
No excuse if they knew for sure it was the cops before they breached, otherwise poor execution by cops.

First mistake not realizing there was a dog.

If you know there is a pitbull inside, then you know it will be the first to door and you will have to shoot it. Now you have just broke into someone's home firing a weapon and killing their dog.

Not sure if cops also realize how common it is for drug dealers to rob each other. But it may just boil down to a dog escalating the situation beyond recovery ending deadly.
cbr
AG
honestly anyone busting into a home deserves to be shot, unless they are TRULY preventing a SERIOUS, IMMINENT crime.

as i suspected, this deal is sounding REALLY fishy already.

BMX Bandit
cbr said:

honestly anyone busting into a home deserves to be shot, unless they are TRULY preventing a SERIOUS, IMMINENT crime.

Honestly, saying police deserve to be shot in some situations when not breaking any law & have valid warrant is one of more disgusting things I've read here ever.
cbr
AG
I'll put it this way, most people I know would do everything in their power to kill anyone who busted in their house and shot their dog and wife, no matter what uniform they were wearing. All of my LEO friends would agree.

I'll reserve judgment on who was right and wrong until I know more, but that much is true for sure.

one of the comments, FWIW:

They shot their dog which they cared for like a child, im sure out of reachion she when to aid her dog and got shot making it seem like she was trying to go for the law enforcement weapon. Anyone who knows her knows she was far from a dummy very rational person. Once Dennis seen their dog and wife were shot he ran to his room to get his gun and started shooting. I believe law enforcement should of done their homework before placing their people and the victims in these situations. I'm not justifying any deaths but there was no victory here for no one. No major amount of drugs found, I'm sure it was just enough for personal use. Good people died here.

who knows if this is true either, but bottom line, you DONT do this kind of thing unless there are SERIOUS criminals with IMMINENT harm to others.
cbr
AG
BMX Bandit said:

cbr said:

Honestly, saying police deserve to be shot in some situations when not breaking any law & have valid warrant is one of more disgusting things I've read here ever.
You disagree with me, all of my Law Enforcement Officer friends then, along with basically every american that ever lived.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.