BREAKING: Several Houston police officers shot

75,075 Views | 524 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Righteousgemstone
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great story.

None of that remotely supports the notion a police officer deserves to be shot in these situations
thirdcoast
AG
Quote:

. A person would be naive (not a personal attack) to think that once the bad guys are outside they would go meekly with the police.

I think that is poorly reasoned. A person on their own property with their own weapons and valuables/livelihood is more inclined, and protected under law, to defend themselves. Attacking is less likely in probably every scenario outside of that.

Not saying shooting cops is ever good anywhere.
cbr
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Great story.

None of that remotely supports the notion a police officer deserves to be shot in these situations
let's be clear, I am not saying the cops deserve to be shot in this case. i dont know enough. But you dont get a warrant for a no knock assault unless it is a SERIOUS situation. and my LEO friends that occasionally are put in that situation don't appreciate it.

IF that's what happened, then the people who got the warrant improperly, planned the inept operation, and put the cops and the suspects in that position do deserve to get shot. but not some Cop just serving a warrant because that's his job.

if that's what you took from it you misunderstood me.
Rapier108
Without commenting on this case because no one knows exactly what happened, there have been cases where police executed a no-knock raid, and someone inside opened fire, killing an officer.

At trial, several have been found not guilty.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BMX Bandit
You said they deserve to be shot. It sounds like that was bad wording on your part & that wasn't your intent
Post removed:
by user
thirdcoast
AG
Cops are not the only ones who do no knock raids. No one should be put in a position to not shoot an armed intruder because it could be a cop.

Hope all cops make a full recovery and lessons are learned.
Alta
AG
I agree - here is a pretty good article on these raids:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/18/us/forced-entry-warrant-drug-raid.html

In a lot of situations it's hard to blame the homeowners especially when your house gets broken into and immediately gun shots are fired to kill a dog. Hard to anticipate how one would respond in this situation without experiencing it and if the people ever even realize/believe it's the police.
TXLandAg
AG
So curious what cops are supposed to do? Knock on the door and ask them to surrender drugs and guns? Or maybe let them just keep dealing?
Are there any other options?
I enjoy jumping to conclusions involving events that I was not only absent from, but have no idea how they normally unfold.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Neighbor Speaks

Well this is certainly getting a little fishy.
aggielostinETX
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Neighbor Speaks

Well this is certainly getting a little fishy.

Man this is not sounding like a legit raid
jabberwalkie09
AG
MaroonStain said:

Out of all threads and info on this site over the last two weeks, this incident in Houston has me the most confused.

Five 50-year old cops serve a warrant on two meth heads. One cop offs a dog, two suspects are shot and killed, four cops are shot and one cop blows out their knee. Infighting between cops, male meth head was a marksman with shotguns, WTF?!?

I know right? Kind of feels like something or a scene straight out of Training Day doesn't it?
Old Tom Morris
In this day and age, what major city is doing a raid like this with no body cams?

Not saying the cops deserved this, but I'm not sure these two old farts deserved this either. Thanks to no cams, we may never know. It smells a bit funny.
Rapier108
FAT SEXY said:

Wasn't there a case in Snook or around there several years back where the guy was found not guilty?
He was no billed by the grand jury.

https://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Man-Charged-With-Killing-Burleson-County-Deputy-No-Billed-by-Grand-Jury-243993261.html
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Martin Q. Blank
Quote:

Controversy is swirling after emotional comments from Houston Police Officers Union president Joe Gamaldi following a shooting that left four officers injured.

Black Lives Matter Houston activists Ashton P. Woods and Shere Dore addressed Gamaldi's comments during a Houston City Council meeting on Tuesday and said they felt targeted by his comments.

Woods and Dore discuss their dispute with Gamaldi and Houston City Council with Isiah Carey.
http://www.fox26houston.com/news/isiah-factor-uncensored/activists-say-police-union-president-threatened-them
aggielostinETX
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Controversy is swirling after emotional comments from Houston Police Officers Union president Joe Gamaldi following a shooting that left four officers injured.

Black Lives Matter Houston activists Ashton P. Woods and Shere Dore addressed Gamaldi's comments during a Houston City Council meeting on Tuesday and said they felt targeted by his comments.

Woods and Dore discuss their dispute with Gamaldi and Houston City Council with Isiah Carey.
http://www.fox26houston.com/news/isiah-factor-uncensored/activists-say-police-union-president-threatened-them
God I hope all of this leads to Art getting fired
Rapier108
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

He never called out BLM by name, but they know that BLM is an anti-cop organization and its members have killed police officers.
cbr
AG

These two certainly dont fit the profile of imminently dangerous heroine dealers worthy of a paramilitary raid, but who knows.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/dennis-tuttle-rhogena-nicholas/

Disabled veteran, honorably discharged, no criminal history, married 20 years at that house, Her likes on Facebook included Mitt Romney, Support our Firefighters PAC, Donald Trump, joel osteen, Houston Animal Rescue Team, the Louisiana Cajun Navy, Houston Texas S.W.A.T.T. Team, Praying Out Loud, Starkville Police Department, all cops lives matter, texas sherriffs deputies assn, and many, many more.

It also seems like an awful lot of people are publicly doubting that these two were into drugs or were dangerous.

https://www.pressreader.com/

Further cops admit no heroine, and claim just undisclosed amount of weed and white substance.

Bottom line, this raid was a fail even if no one as hurt.

This thing is starting to smell. I find it generally unlikely that these two people shot 5 cops who had the drop on them. This thing merits a serious investigation. But With the only witnesses now being 16 cops on the scene, seems like a difficult one at best.

And now i read acevdos comments, hes not only way out of line on the 'targets' thing but he actually pushed gun control!? **** him.

ham98
The alternative to no knock raids is actual police work. No knock raids should be extremely rare
Democrat for Trump!
BMX Bandit
ham98 said:

The alternative to no knock raids is actual police work. No knock raids should be extremely rare

Was this no knock?

I have not seen either way
Post removed:
by user
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm a big police advocate story doesn't add up at all.

FriscoKid
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I don't really get the cops strategy either. Why can't they utilize other tools at their disposal instead of busting in old school style

David Koresh went jogging every morning, but instead of arresting him then, they did a commando raid. Stupid.

Similar thing here. The bad guys leave the house at some point. Quietly pick them up, one by one.
I wonder if they like entering the house because they can then snoop around a little after the bad guys are gone.
ham98
They could still do that if they picked up suspects outside the house.
Democrat for Trump!
Urban Ag
AG
third coast.. said:

So this sure seems straight up like the guy thought he was being broken in to and the intruders has already killed his dog so he opened fire. I'm sure it didn't help that the Damn cops were in street clothes.
man I missed the part about them being in street clothes. If you're going to execute a paramilitary style police raid, I think looking the part would make sense.

I see a cops in body armor, uniforms, and guns drawn rushing up to my house, I'm assuming the position pronto. I see guys with guns in street clothes, I'm grabbing the shotgun and sticking the Glock in the back of my pants.
8T2
FriscoKid said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I don't really get the cops strategy either. Why can't they utilize other tools at their disposal instead of busting in old school style

David Koresh went jogging every morning, but instead of arresting him then, they did a commando raid. Stupid.

Similar thing here. The bad guys leave the house at some point. Quietly pick them up, one by one.
I wonder if they like entering the house because they can then snoop around a little after the bad guys are gone.
I believe they had a search warrant. They were going to snoop anyway.
8T2
Old Tom Morris said:

In this day and age, what major city is doing a raid like this with no body cams?

Not saying the cops deserved this, but I'm not sure these two old farts deserved this either. Thanks to no cams, we may never know. It smells a bit funny.
Houston PD has fought cameras for 20 years. Every county surrounding Harris County has nearly 100% camera coverage of its police activities. Houston still claims they cannot afford to outfit everyone with cameras. The ones that have body cams also routinely turn them off when things get dicey.
Post removed:
by user
ebag02
AG
8T2 said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Houston PD has fought cameras for 20 years. Every county surrounding Harris County has nearly 100% camera coverage of its police activities. Houston still claims they cannot afford to outfit everyone with cameras. The ones that have body cams also routinely turn them off when things get dicey.
Video is bad for bad cops
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/01/16/video-crash-irving-police-motorcycle-officers/
aggieforester05
AG
Creating a much bigger hazard than the alleged one they were there to stop. They're lucky no civilians crashed and got hurt due to their stupidity.
FriscoKid
AG
from the comments....

Quote:

7815 Harding St was the house the raided......Now go check out 7815 Hardy St. Think they might have gone to the wrong house? Maybe so? Maybe no but maybe....
cbr
AG
bottom line, if they're almost 60 years old, with no criminal history, they've lived there for 20 years and served in the military honorably before that, then the ONLY way a raid like this could be justified is if they suddenly became serial killers/violent drug king pins/serious dangers to society all of a sudden. Just seems unlikely.

i just dont get any of it.

we dont allow cops to do their jobs correctly, or reward them for it, we dont protect citizens and their rights correctly prior to conviction, and we dont punish convicts correctly. we also dont require or reward proper news reporting...it's just a bizarro world.

i just plan to do the right thing, look in the mirror every day with satisfaction, and hope to stay lucky i guess.
Post removed:
by user
Kenneth_2003
AG
Same... I think that's an internet comment that's just wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.