***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,508 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I truly think this is a Lucasfilm/Disney issue.
Formerly tv1113
Cliff.Booth
I mentioned this before, but if it is, which it really might be to some extent, why as an up and coming director wouldn't you walk away and wash your hands of it rather than go ahead and make an abysmal show that will hurt your reputation? I take her at her word when she said this was a passion project for her and one she made for herself as a kid, but unfortunately she can't handle plot, character arcs or dialogue to save her life. There is almost nothing redeeming about what's been on the screen to point to her knowing how to write or direct.
TCTTS
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

TCTTS said:

concac said:

Who was it that hyped up Leslye Headland because she was a massive Star Wars fan girl? Guess knowing everything and anything about Star Wars doesn't translate into being able to create something that is enjoyable to watch.

Hope this is the last time she has anything to do with the Star Wars franchise.

That would be me.

And I'd do it again, because ON PAPER she had everything going for her. She had just come off a massive hit show, one that damn near everyone loved, while again and again has shown an incredibly deep knowledge of the franchise. She checked every box, save for having done something of this scale before, and like I've said multiple times now, sometimes that works out, other times it doesn't. Regardless, it's not an uncommon practice at all.

It turns out, she simply doesn't have what it takes - or - as I've also speculated, Lucasfilm noted the hell out this thing/drained it of anything special. My guess is a combination of both.

She hadn't done anything to prove she should have anything to do with a big budget SW production. And having rubbed elbows with Harvey also probably shouldn't have been a plus on her thin resume. If Disney LF is ever to learn any expensive lessons from their very spotty record, I'd hope the Acolyte is proof of what happens when you go for an optics hire rather than just getting someone who knows what the **** they're doing.

This is such a dumb argument to keep making.

You know who else had incredibly limited experience before taking on massive budget project?

Gareth Edwards
Before Godzilla (2014) he had only directed a micro budget indie called Monster for $500K.

Colin Trevorrow
Before Jurassic World he had only directed a micro budget indie called Safety Not Guaranteed for $750K.

Patty Jenkins
Before Wonder Woman she had only directed a few episodes of random TV comedies and dramas.

The Russo Brothers
Same thing. Before Captain America: Civil War they had only directed a few episodes of random TV comedies.

Not to mention…

-Michael Bay had only directed commercials and music videos before Bad Boys.
-Doug Liman had only directed three indies before The Bourne Identity.
-The Wachowskis had only directed a single indie named Bound before The Matrix.

The list goes on and on.

Never mind the fact that Bryce Dallas Howard had only ever directed a micro budget indie before The Mandalorian.

This is how Hollywood has operated for DECADES.

For the umpteenth time… sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. It's a crap shoot. Always.

Just own it already that, for you, this is primarily a culture war issue. Headlund is an opinionated lesbian and you don't want an opinionated lesbian anywhere near the franchise. That's what this is really about. Otherwise, you have absolutely no argument, considering the precedent that has already been set, and the countless success stories that have come from it.
powerbelly
AG
To me, this points to bigger issues with lucasfilm/disney. There has to be some structure issues or leadership issues driving consistent underperformance
TCTTS
AG
I agree 100%.
Cliff.Booth
I think you can be an opinionated whatever if you just make a solid product. I did find her and Amandla annoying in their promo stuff, but if she had made a cool SW show I'd be praising it and her. I can't pretend to know how these studios go about getting people for projects like this, but there had to have been candidates both better and lesser known who could have produced something at least decent.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah but outside of a few great moments how do we explain Mando/bobba/ashoka? The norm is head scratching filler episodes, plot that barely moves, and poor dialogue. At least with Mando we get some amazing highs in season 1/2 to make up for a lot of the bad.

Formerly tv1113
DrEvazanPhD
Madmarttigan said:

Yeah but outside of a few great moments how do we explain Mando/bobba/ashoka? The norm is head scratching filler episodes, plot that barely moves, and poor dialogue. At least with Mando we get some amazing highs in season 1/2 to make up for a lot of the bad.

They were all pretty ****ty
ABATTBQ11
AG
powerbelly said:

To me, this points to bigger issues with lucasfilm/disney. There has to be some structure issues or leadership issues driving consistent underperformance

Yeah. It's called Kathleen Kennedy sucks.
CapCityAg89
AG
So sad. Pages and pages of whining about the same crap. So tedious. The entertainment board has jumped the shark.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You mean LucasFilm has jumped the shark
redline248
AG
I am curious where Sol and Mae are going. What is Vernestra doing? How will anyone find Qimir? I don't see any real resolution this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

This is such a dumb argument to keep making.

When you consider the source, it makes it a lot clearer
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

As it did in 1999, 2002, 2005, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 according to all those critical people.

As I have said for decades, if you (not you specifically) think all the stuff or even 75% of the stuff Lucasfilm puts out is crap, but you keep watching it, you're the problem. And an idiot. And if you keep watching it solely for the purpose of complaining, it will never get any better because YOU KEEP PAYING TO WATCH.
captkirk
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Chipotlemonger said:

As it did in 1999, 2002, 2005, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 according to all those critical people.

As I have said for decades, if you (not you specifically) think all the stuff or even 75% of the stuff Lucasfilm puts out is crap, but you keep watching it, you're the problem. And an idiot. And if you keep watching it solely for the purpose of complaining, it will never get any better because YOU KEEP PAYING TO WATCH.
LOL. Yeah, the fault lies with the viewer
Cliff.Booth

Chipotlemonger said:

As I have said for decades, if you (not you specifically) think all the stuff or even 75% of the stuff Lucasfilm puts out is crap, but you keep watching it, you're the problem. And an idiot.

Pork, please don't be so rude toward TC.
The Porkchop Express
AG
captkirk said:

Chipotlemonger said:

From a complete business standpoint, if a customer repeatedly purchases what they deem to be a vastly inferior or even unacceptable product, what motivation does the manufacturer have to improve it?

TC - no offense to you personally - is a pretty good example, he disliked all 3 prequels, but paid to see them all, disliked all 3 sequels but paid to see them all, like Solo & Rogue One, but has disliked all of the TV stuff except for Andor and maybe Season 1 of Mando - didn't like much of Season 2 or any of Season 3 of Mando, or Ahsoka, or BOBF or Obi-Wan or the Acolyte, but has kept his Disney+ subscription to watch them all.

You can preach to me about "good product" or blah blah, but it's not unlike having a crappy sports team but continuing to pay for season tickets. Yeah, the owner might like to win, but if you're spending $5,000 a year on tickets, and buying $150 of food every Sunday plus merch for your kids, they don't really care until you stop consuming the product.
redline248
AG
TC is more like a critic whose job is to watch all these things, than a normal viewer, imo. I do think Pork's point is reasonable, but I also think Star Wars is one of those things that is never going lack for viewers or financial gain.

The main SW thread is a good, though small, example. We all love the universe of Star Wars. We are going to keep watching, no matter what. There are hundreds of thousands like us, and more still who just love going to watch movies. That is why SW will continue to find box office success.

I suppose the closest we've ever come to bad product affecting anything was Solo right after TLJ. But the next Saga film had no issue, bc of things I've argued above.
captkirk
AG

captkirk said:

Chipotlemonger said:

From a complete business standpoint, if a customer repeatedly purchases what they deem to be a vastly inferior or even unacceptable product, what motivation does the manufacturer have to improve it?

TC - no offense to you personally - is a pretty good example, he disliked all 3 prequels, but paid to see them all, disliked all 3 sequels but paid to see them all, like Solo & Rogue One, but has disliked all of the TV stuff except for Andor and maybe Season 1 of Mando - didn't like much of Season 2 or any of Season 3 of Mando, or Ahsoka, or BOBF or Obi-Wan or the Acolyte, but has kept his Disney+ subscription to watch them all.

You can preach to me about "good product" or blah blah, but it's not unlike having a crappy sports team but continuing to pay for season tickets. Yeah, the owner might like to win, but if you're spending $5,000 a year on tickets, and buying $150 of food every Sunday plus merch for your kids, they don't really care until you stop consuming the product.
No. The problem is the Lucas Film pot bangers who continue to defend crap product for some reason.
Vince Blake

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I resemble that remark!
The Porkchop Express
AG
captkirk said:

captkirk said:

Chipotlemonger said:

No. The problem is the Lucas Film pot bangers who continue to defend crap product for some reason.
Why is that a problem? What effect does it have on your life?
Urban Ag
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

So sad. Pages and pages of whining about the same crap. So tedious. The entertainment board has jumped the shark.
Speak for yourself. I am kind of bummed this series is coming to an end even though I haven't watched five minutes of it and won't.

The snark and complaining. The counter white knighting and turd shining. Someone accused Spilner of getting Avatar revenue erections a couple pages back. Where else am I gonna get this kind of entertainment a couple times a week while I each lunch?

This has turned out to be one of the most entertaining threads ever on this board. Who needs more crappy SW when I can read it?

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Watched episode 7 last night. The whole "Torbin goes from Padawan to Master in 16 years" thing was already pretty silly, but after seeing him be literally the whiniest Jedi ever it just really makes it worse. Incidentally, was it my eyes, or was he doing that little wrist twirl with his lightsaber that Anakin was always using?

Sol just seemed a bit…creepy? I dunno, maybe not the best word. But it was definitely a weird vibe.

I honestly don't think we're gonna get much (if any) resolution in the finale. Too many loose ends, and I think the hope at this point is to leave something to force a season 2. They should have made the flashback episodes into 1 sequence, especially as you're only doing 8 episodes. I think a lot of the finale has already been predicted by you guys, but I don't think a "happy ending" is in the cards.
Urban Ag
AG
Vince Blake said:

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I resemble that remark!

And you, like myself, keep coming back every season because you have an emotional connection to the Cowboys, probably going back to when you were a kid. But by the late 90's I was so done with Jerry's BS and all the antics with the players I finally did stop watching. It wasn't until the 2010's when my oldest son started getting in to NFL that my wife and I started watching again and we've been pot committed again ever since.

It's the same reason many here keep coming back to complain about SW. They can't get past the emotional connection from childhood nostalgia. For kids in the 70's and 80's and well in to the 90's, it was truly that powerful.

The ST fatigued me. The multiple series ultimately turned me off. Kenobi was so bad it finally took me from disappointment to enjoying the hilarity of how bad the product was overall. Ahsoka was the final straw. I didn't think it was terrible, just boring, uninteresting, uninspired. So I honestly dropped out and haven't looked back (but I can still get drawn in to ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and R1 with a moments notice).

Not saying I'll never watch anything new again but for now at least I am completely tapped out and frankly the trailers for Acolyte just looked completely lame.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Sounds like I made a good choice skipping this show

Has a younger Yoda showed up yet? This takes place 100 years before the prequels, right? I'd bet decent money he appears at the end, takes in what happened, and concerned about the future, he is.
Thanks and gig'em
The Porkchop Express
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Sounds like I made a good choice skipping this show

Has a younger Yoda showed up yet? This takes place 100 years before the prequels, right? I'd bet decent money he appears at the end, takes in what happened, and concerned about the future, he is.
Yoda has narrated every episode as a spoken word rap.
jabberwalkie09
AG
So let me see if I have this right.

The twins are the same person but split some how. Torbin wants to go home and sees the vergence, the twins, as his ticket to go home. Sol senses the twins, particularly Osha, are in danger. The witch coven, in particular the militant members like Koril, would rather fight and die than allow Osha to leave the coven. Koril has a borderline emotional/mental abusive relationship on the twins. Coven fights the Sol and Torbin against Aniseya's wishes. Tragedy ensues and cover up occurs under Indara's direction.

Do I have this completely ****ed up story correct?
captkirk
AG

captkirk said:

captkirk said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Why is that a problem? What effect does it have on your life?
More and more crap Lucas Film product will be produced. Star Wars (and Indiana Jones) was an important part of my childhood and I care (apparently more than Bob Iger) what happens to it.
TCTTS
AG

captkirk said:

Chipotlemonger said:

You basically described the last two+ decades of my relationship with Aggie football. Yet here I am, still not only rooting for them, but somehow paying to post on a website dedicated to covering them.

However, you have to remember, same as I worked for the team during arguably their darkest days (the last two Slocum seasons + the first three Fran seasons), I worked for theforce.net during the same dark era (from Episode I to Episode II). Re: that darkness, in the words of Bane...

That darkness is a part of me. I was forged in it.

And like most delusional fans, we root not because of the results on the field or the Star Wars movies/shows we are given, but out of hope that one day we will manage to crawl out of our respective fandom prisons and finally feel the light upon our face that is a national championship or a truly great Star Wars movie once more...

That light... that vision... is what keeps us going. With football it's always the promise of "next season," and with Star Wars it's always the promise of the next movie/show; that maybe, against all logic, the next one will be the one. When, instead, this is often the reality...

And yet still I hope. Still, I persist. This season, it's with the reassurance, however delusional, that at least A&M had the balls to finally fire their Kathleen Kennedy... and that maybe, just maybe... we've found our Kevin Feige.
The Porkchop Express
AG
It seems a little early in the PDT to be tripping on acid, but that was really lovely writing.
PatAg
AG
I've thought about it some more, and I think I actually like the story and what the show runner is trying to accomplish.
The jedi are technically past the height of their powers, and just beginning their decline. They've become swamped in beauracracy and think they have the right to do whatever they want.
We get some insight into how other members of the galaxy feel about them, via the coven.
Their interaction is also not cut and dry good vs evil
A great villain was introduced too.

They have just botched thr actual execution of the show
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Madmarttigan
redline248
AG
I will admit that while I'm not super annoyed by that power of many idea, it doesn't make any sense. Is our explanation that since they all chant in unison they can mind control a Jedi? That makes them powerful? If so, some power, bc a single jedi master took them all out by herself.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
PatAg said:

I've thought about it some more, and I think I actually like the story and what the show runner is trying to accomplish.
The jedi are technically past the height of their powers, and just beginning their decline. They've become swamped in beauracracy and think they have the right to do whatever they want.
We get some insight into how other members of the galaxy feel about them, via the coven.
Their interaction is also not cut and dry good vs evil
A great villain was introduced too.

They have just botched thr actual execution of the show

This is how I have come to view all of these Star Wars shows except Obi-Wan and Andor.

Andor being a good idea with good execution.

Obi-Wan being a bad idea with bad execution. Leia and Obi-Wan having an adventure together pre-New Hope was not a good idea.

Where the rubber will meet the road on Star Wars is not the number of viewers. It will be on the merchandise sold. The new games bomb and the toys don't sell. Then Hasbro/EA will put pressure on Disney.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.