***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,475 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Red Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joe Biden is jealous of Leslye Headland's grift game. This show doesn't look like it cost 2 million per episode, much less 22 million. Who is pocketing the money?

I didn't hate the episode like I did episode 3, but I agree with Spilner that it was boring and mostly pointless again. Nothing in the entire episode mattered until they got to Kelnaccas hut, which was the last 2 minutes of the episode.

No one's actions in this show make sense. The writing is just terrible.
LB12Diamond
AG
TCTTS said:

Dude, WTF. Spoilers.

WTF to you as well

No need to go crazy when nothing was done.
TCTTS
AG
When someone essentially says "spoiler [x] is out there," and you respond with that specific phrasing, it 100% sounds like you read the spoiler as well.
Redstone
AG
While the spoiler is indeed "out there," it is as of yet still fan speculation.
LB12Diamond
AG
Dude

People have guessed who the trainer is throughout this entire thread multiple times. I had already said earlier I thought it was one of the mothers bc of their interaction with Osha. And this show is so bad what I saw with that interaction might mean nothing so it's not one of the mothers.

So you went nuts for no reason.
TCTTS
AG
I don't keep tabs on what you say here, nor did I "go nuts."

I saw one person heavily imply not only that a spoiler had leaked, but that they had read the spoiler too. The way in which you then phrased your response to that same person could very easily be interpreted as you having read the spoiler as well.

It's that simple.
Urban Ag
AG
redline248 said:

Great, now the king of all trolls on this website decided he needed to join this thread

YNWA_AG
AG
This episode was better than the last, but I still can't get over how bad the costumes and sets are for a 180 million dollar show.

I wish Disney would hire people that cared about Star Wars. This is just sad.

And they made an entire scene so they could pander pronouns. lol
Thunderstruck xx
That was a pretty damn annoying way to end an episode.
TCTTS
AG
They're talking about an alien that looks like a damn gopher. It was a winking, two-second bit and not at all "pandering." Maybe if a human or a more human-like character had gone out of their way to correct someone, re: their desired pronouns, y'all might have a point. Otherwise, this is so incredibly stupid.
PatAg
AG
jokershady said:

Yeah that sucked. Mae's turn doesn't make any sense at all…and if she's changed her mind and wanted to turn herself in then why didn't she come out to the Jedi when they showed up?

Clearly she doesn't have a lightsaber so there's no way she would've killed a Wookie with his own if he even had one….

And how the hell did a Jedi wookie get killed sitting at his desk? Was he watching the same virtual reality woman grandpa Chewie was in the holiday special? IYKYK….

This whole episode felt like a run-on sentence that no one should be reading in the first place.

And yeah it's either Qimir or one of the witch mothers survived…
Because she knows her master is there after finding the Wookie dead to a lightsaber, and is more deathly afraid of him then she is confident those jedi there could get her away safely.
When she was talking about turning herself in and everything, that was with the idea she would get taken off the planet and back to Coruscant to be under all of the Jedi protection I assume.
PatAg
AG
I think we should wait a little longer before we accuse it of awful writing, because theres a real chance the big bad isn't the Qmir/poison maker guy. Feels like a good misdirect, but obviously if it is him it is bad writing.

Let's give it some flowers.

The big bad floating slowly down in the background and out of focus was awesome and menacing. Then the slow walk up, looking just so alien and dangerous was great, and then a simple flick sends Osha flying and a giant force move we haven't seen anyone do.
That was all pretty sick.

I also like that they gave Yord a chance to actually sound like a wise Jedi in his convo with Osha before they went too far into the forest.

I also think Amandla Steinberg is doing a good job of portraying the two sisters differently.
Cliff.Booth
Redstone
AG
We really do need to discuss the details of the emerging canon, instead of all the "socio-political" stuff. I appreciate Staff and Moderator watching to keep us on topic.

We need to keep in mind the history being made here also…..some facts: The Acolyte stars the Black actor Amandla Stenberg (The Hate U Give, Bodies Bodies Bodies) as twin Force users on opposite sides of a war. The episode, "Destiny", included a romantic moment between two female witches.

There is a large gulf between the critics ratings and the "audience" score. It's fair to wonder what's behind this, and I really hope we can put all that aside and just focus on discussing the show.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Waking up to 50 new posts and 20% of them are Redstone, tells me to go ahead and pull the ripcord and watch the rest of this show offline like I should have from Day One The thread belongs to all you fine folks now, MTFBY

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
redline248
AG
We need a secret thread under a title that isn't a flame attracting the moths
redline248
AG
Was that really supposed to be Ki-Adi? Also the Plo-Koon lookalike?

Omg yep

ja86
AG
Ki-Adi was just using hyperbole to get some attention.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Or this isn't the Sith. Can't have freedom fighting feministas smashing the patriarchy being the precursors to Palpatine and the Empire...
redline248
AG
I watched a video somewhere with the show's creator saying she wanted to explore what it would be like for a Sith apprentice to be looking for someone to take his/her place when he/she goes to overthrow the Sith master. So, based on that, Darth Smiles is an apprentice Sith.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this one, but I think Sith are exclusive users of red blades, due to the "bleeding" process required for them master the crystals.
justnobody79
I thought it was the best episode so far, but still left some things to be desired. The 20 second side chat between Yord and Osha, and then Yord saying we need to catch up to the others, as if they had been chatting for 10 minutes was laughable. I wanted more Wookie Jedi. On one hand I thought they spent too much time on the journey through the forest, but then at the same time the episode felt rushed. It feels like they had a little over 2 episodes of material that they have stretched into 4 episodes so far.

On the mask of the Sith at the end, was that mouth area part of the design or was that damage from a lightsaber? My poor eyesight couldn't tell
Cliff.Booth
ABATTBQ11
AG
If that's the case, I doubt it's one of the witches.
Moral High Horse
Cliff.Booth said:

Haven't been watching the show but have been checking out these reviews on Youtube. Also, sounds like Youtube is moderating pretty heavily the reviews of the show because...."hate".
Cliff.Booth
It dawned on me that this Halloween, Billy Corgan and James Iha have the potential to do something awesome.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
In my opinion the bad guy is only 1 of 4 people and isn't a "Sith" from a certain point.

The poison maker, one of the two mothers, or the Green Jedi master.
Cliff.Booth
Some of them are going out of their way to only focus on how woke the show is. Out of respect for Porkchop I've only shared a few that are taking on the storytelling and production issues going on.
LPHA
AG
I've been enjoying this show alot. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I watch shows and movies differently than most. I'm not expecting Citizen Kane, or really much of anything other than a fun time. I love Star Wars and have enjoyed every show so far, even the most eye-rolling parts.

That said, how does this cost $22 million per episode? Inflation?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Some of them are going out of their way to only focus on how woke the show is. Out of respect for Porkchop I've only shared a few that are taking on the storytelling and production issues going on.
I'm done here, I need to focus on my mental heath rather than trying to faceguard a Star Wars TV show - please feel free to post whatever you want to.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
redline248
AG
Just ignore him and reply to those of us focusing on the story and stuff
FL_Ag1998
AG
LPHA said:

I've been enjoying this show alot. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I watch shows and movies differently than most. I'm not expecting Citizen Kane, or really much of anything other than a fun time. I love Star Wars and have enjoyed every show so far, even the most eye-rolling parts.

That said, how does this cost $22 million per episode? Inflation?

This is where I'm at, too. I've said before that the quality levels of Andor and Rogue One are outliers for Star Wars properties. Stop judging every Star Wars property by the quality of the outliers - whether those outliers are Andor or Book of Bobba Fett. This show falls solidly in the middle of those two, which make it par for the course.

That said, I too wonder where all that budget goes to, unless visual FX cost an arm and a leg for some basic makeup and lightsaber swooshes.

Oh, and don't see why one of the witch mothers couldn't now be a Sith in training looking to take on their own apprentice, be it Mae or Osha. Maybe this whole series of events is to sort out which of the twins will become their apprentice. There can be only one, so deep down in their souls, which of the twins has what it takes to be a Sith and can be lured "to the dark side"?
Cliff.Booth
I don't really understand the impulse to bail, tbh. From the reactions to episode 4 I haven't seen a lot of trolling or stuff that falls outside of the scope of what the episode was about and how it was filmed. It's just a divisive show, nothing shocking.
LPHA
AG
I like the idea that poison-boy is the actual apprentice and they're just using Mae for something specific. Similar to Dooku and Maul.
jokershady
AG
The Wookie death was just plain awful. That was honestly one of the cool things I was looking forward to seeing was what it would be like to see a Wookie Jedi fight....and nope....dude just dies in his chair without even seemingly like he put up a fight.....

That sucks...

Also....I checked IMDB again....and that particular casting reveal has now been removed from their list for this 4th episode....backs it up for me that it was definitely unintentional for them to show that....
Madmarttigan
AG
I think it's Mother Aniseya based on the power level shown but I also think it's awful writing to show someone who seems to be a very loving and caring mother basically let her daughter (Mae) suffer thinking her mom is dead and train her completely anonymously. She could openly train her daughter against the Jedi without all the secrecy since the Jedi are from her point of view responsible for the death of the entire coven and they took Osha away. It wouldn't be that hard to make your own daughter jilted towards the Jedi given the circumstances.
Formerly tv1113

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.