***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,408 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That figures. Only Jedi Wookiee barely has a part at all and is killed offscreen. I'm no expert but this was a horrible idea.

Pretty obvious as well who's the baddy.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
All.the unknown Jedi redshirts are dead.

Madmarttigan
AG
Now I don't think it's Qimir they are trying to make it stupidly obvious it's him.

I thought it was going down as another terrible episode but a somewhat interesting ending.

I think if it's Qimir as the big baddie it's kind of too obvious so I think he is just a distraction when it is actually someone else. I'm going to bet it's someone from the coven, but this person is showing some power that is off the charts blasting that many Jedi on their asses.
Formerly tv1113
LB12Diamond
AG
I think it's one of their mothers.
Madmarttigan
AG
Agreed
Formerly tv1113
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Screw these half hour episodes. Twenty minutes of it was nothing.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Screw these half hour episodes. Twenty minutes of it was nothing.
Maybe my biggest complaint this week.
Redstone
AG
The show is fantastic and you really have to wonder what lays underneath much of the criticism.

I especially appreciate the philosophical move away from moralistic dualism and toward a materialist understanding of power dynamics:
"This isn't about good or bad. This is about power and who has the right to use it."

The imagery and imagination of scenes such as this belong in the canon … Kennedy is correct we need to have a more expansive understanding. (I love her New York Times quote: "I think a lot of women who step into this because of the fan base being so male-dominated they sometimes get attacked. My belief is that storytelling needs to be representative of all people.")

redline248
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Now I don't think it's Qimir they are trying to make it stupidly obvious it's him.

I thought it was going down as another terrible episode but a somewhat interesting ending.

I think if it's Qimir as the big baddie it's kind of too obvious so I think he is just a distraction when it is actually someone else. I'm going to bet it's someone from the coven, but this person is showing some power that is off the charts blasting that many Jedi on their asses.
I am unsure. I thought they were intentionally making him look like a clumsy goof to throw us off track. Then he shows a slight annoyance with Mae when she's talking about impossible, but catches himself. Maybe that was all too obvious. It still is a question how he knew where the Wookie was, though.

If he's not the master, then the master is shadowing Mae pretty closely. For what reason?

So we now know that there is a higher council of Jedi that this group of morons hasn't bothered to keep in the loop. This show really doesn't want us to have a high opinion of the Jedi.
redline248
AG
Great, now the king of all trolls on this website decided he needed to join this thread
i is smart
AG
You already know somebody is going to take that bait.
redline248
AG
We haven't seen a red lightsaber in 900 years, let's all rush at him at once!

I swear...
BenTheGoodAg
AG
redline248 said:

Great, now the king of all trolls on this website decided he needed to join this thread
MFBarnes is back?!
Madmarttigan
AG
I didn't dislike this episode, but I'm bothered more and more how cheap this show feels when they put this much money into it. Whatever family tree is controlling Star Wars cinematography, set design, and costumes for these shows needs to be completely revamped. There's been no large scale battles or anything g that crazy from a cgi standpoint. I just can't see how this gets greenlit for a second season when this is the product of 20 million an episode.
Formerly tv1113
Redstone
AG
Amandla Stenberg is a star and here's a fact: 84 percent plus, consistently, on Rotten Tomatoes.

I really don't understand the controversy, unless it's about proving Kennedy (please do read her Times interview) correct. I'm more invested in these characters than any since the budding romance of Finn and Rose Tico.

Those with daughters especially should care about strong characters that identify as female on their screens.
Redstone
AG
There are now in the canon a lot of new layers to how we perceive both the Jedi and the Force, and episode 3 opens up new directions for exploration.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Redstone said:

I'm more invested in these characters than any since the budding romance of Finn and Rose Tico.

Epic Redstone, Epic
Vince Blake
This show feels like a college assignment that was put off for weeks and then a half-ass attempt was made the night before its due. It feels so cheap and flat. The set looks like it was dug out of the 70s "Land of the Lost" storage. There is some really bad editing at times in this episode. The cuts to the actors speaking was not seamless. Really odd. Was there no quality control on this thing?

Well, hopefully now that we got the main baddy in play we'll get a little more action going.
BQRyno
AG
Yeah that was a bad episode. Are they really going to make the big bad the one who was obvious from his first scene? Are we going to keep killing off Jedi we don't know to care about?
Cliff.Booth
Vince Blake said:

This show feels like a college assignment that was put off for weeks and then a half-ass attempt was made the night before its due. It feels so cheap and flat. The set looks like it was dug out of the 70s "Land of the Lost" storage. There is some really bad editing at times in this episode. The cuts to the actors speaking was not seamless. Really odd. Was there no quality control on this thing?

Well, hopefully now that we got the main baddy in play we'll get a little more action going.

This is just really embarrassing. If I were a competent female writer/director I'd be a little pissed off that this was pitched as some triumphant moment for women in the industry and then handed to someone clearly well out of her depth.
RebAg13
AG
Really hope they have an interesting twist instead of the master being the drink guy.
FL_Ag1998
AG
With four more episodes there has to be more twists, more reveals involved.

Right?

They can't spend four more episodes simply on exposition of how they've arrived where they are now in the story and then hunting the big bad guy. Mae's change of mind and deciding to abandon her revenge killing spree and turn herself in was waaaay too rushed. I now agree its waay too obvious for Qimir to be the bad guy, its gotta be one of the witches like was posited in a post above.

I'm still very much rooting for this show

And the actress who plays Vernestra is horrible.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I am also in the camp of not hating the episode, but struggling to see how there are going to be four more episodes plus a second season with these characters.

New wild guess Qimir (Darth Bortles) is the apprentice to the current Sith Lord (Plagueis? Tenebrous? ) manipulating the events for his master.

My guess is the last episode will reveal the true Sith Lord at this time and he is slowly delicately manipulating people who have grudges against the Jedi to attack the Jedi order in order to seed discord and distrust within the Jedi Order and to mask the Sith Lord's movements. Each season would then have a new set of Jedi being tormented. Each season causing more cracks and doubts within the Jedi order.

Person in the mask at the end of this episode is the Zabrack Witch. Qimir is mostly MIA most of the rest of the season.

Season ends with Qimir reporting to the Sith Lord and asks for his next mission against the Jedi. Show's multiseason arc ends with Qimir ultimately getting killed by Palpatine/Plagueis so they can enter into the Sith as the Apprentice. My guess is Palpatine.

Otherwise, I have a hard time seeing these characters stretch over multiple seasons.
jokershady
AG
Yeah that sucked. Mae's turn doesn't make any sense at all…and if she's changed her mind and wanted to turn herself in then why didn't she come out to the Jedi when they showed up?

Clearly she doesn't have a lightsaber so there's no way she would've killed a Wookie with his own if he even had one….

And how the hell did a Jedi wookie get killed sitting at his desk? Was he watching the same virtual reality woman grandpa Chewie was in the holiday special? IYKYK….

This whole episode felt like a run-on sentence that no one should be reading in the first place.

And yeah it's either Qimir or one of the witch mothers survived…
jokershady
AG
LOL

I think IMDB just spoiled who the masked person is…..normally this doesn't happen but….yeah…..don't go looking at the full cast for this episode…..

I won't post it here…..and obviously it could be wrong but I'm gonna laugh my balls off if they ended up revealing the big twist in the IMDB credits
Cliff.Booth
My money is on the sinister mystery sith being one of the Brendok witches, most likely Mother Koril.

This seems like it's paced to give us suspense leading up to some reveal on the final episode in anticipation of most of the actual action being in a second season. Problem being, this first season is disastrous and doesn't warrant another season. Should have decided to kick some ass and win over new fans and old fans in the first few episodes to have the masses demanding another season. This is just sputtering along.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
jokershady said:

LOL

I think IMDB just spoiled who the masked person is…..normally this doesn't happen but….yeah…..don't go looking at the full cast for this episode…..

I won't post it here…..and obviously it could be wrong but I'm gonna laugh my balls off if they ended up revealing the big twist in the IMDB credits

Yep I bet that is who it is
LB12Diamond
AG
That's who I thought it was bc the way she looked at Osha prior to getting her out of the way (also protecting her) for the fight.
TCTTS
AG
When this series was first announced - an announcement that made a big deal of focusing on the dark side - this was not at all the series I envisioned. Like, not even close. Especially considering Headland's past work, the blandness of this entire thing really is surprising. Headland created the fantastic Russian Doll, for God's sake, a series that was bursting with life and ideas, felt so different, etc.

But this?

Four episodes in and it has a distinct/vanilla Deep Space Nine vibe. Everything is just so stilted, cheap, and very '90s sci-fi TV. That, and when casting the Jedi extras it's like they went to the local park and just asked a bunch of random people, "Who wants to play a Jedi?" They're all either in terrible makeup or somehow look like unemployed, unremarkable 30-somethings, and there's no in between.

I don't know… it's not a terrible show overall, but man is it not-at-all compelling, which might even be a worse sin.

At least this is as far as critics got as well, so no one's seen past tonight, which means there's at least the possibility that it gets more engaging from here, but I'm not holding my breath.
TCTTS
AG
Dude, WTF. Spoilers.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
If Worf shows up this will be just as good as season 4 -7 Deep Space Nine
Madmarttigan
AG
IMDb didn't confirm anything or say who is in the mask.
Formerly tv1113
jokershady
AG
Even still shouldn't reference anything that gives it away regardless if you like the snow or not….i didn't even want to risk spoiler tags in case I screwed up the html somehow….

Should still be respectful and not reference anything that gives it away….
TCTTS
AG
I haven't looked, so I don't know that, but the "she" reads as if he's confirming the villain is female, and thus eliminating Qimir. if that's the case, as boring as this show has been, I'm going to be pissed if I was just robbed of any semblance of a surprise.
Madmarttigan
AG
There are really only a few options. Qimir, one of the two coven leaders/moms, or some dark horse jedi. Qimir would feel cheap/dumb at this point.

I think it's the main mom/coven leader just by the sheer power she showed and she seemed far more powerful in the flash back than anyone else in the coven and was also strong enough to create life. I don't see it being the one with horns but they didn't really show what she could do.

Also if it is the mom then why the hell would she let Mae suffer and train her this whole time without saying a damn thing. It's just as dumb if it her as well. This show… sigh*
Formerly tv1113

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.