***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,229 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

whole fire thing at the end of episode three. "you don't do what i wan't....and i'll ****ing kill you, *****" followed by a fire as an assassination tool. Which led to an explosion. Is that what the jedi are all supposed to feel so guilty about?

We've talked for pages and pages about how there is obviously more to the story and that it would make sense to wait until the end of the show to see what the whole story is

A coven of lesbian witches

When did they all say they were lesbians?
Should I assume that the Empire is a military full of gay men because I certainly never saw any women? Palpatine must have been blowing Vader every night, because neither of those dudes ever went on a date during the OT.

The weird moaning, half-musical number with suburban-white-woman wailing and screaming was also really odd

I feel bad for the the people that only know this version of Return of the Jedi. Still can't believe that made the final cut.
jokershady
AG
No lie…..always will miss Yub Nub at the end
Moral High Horse
Ewoks were definitely a sign of the direction of the Star Wars saga. Probably there to appeal to a younger audience....and I bet they were lesbians.

#yubNub4Life
justnobody79
TCTTS said:

Red Five said:

TCTTS said:

Cliff.Booth said:

Places that are less moderated. Imagine this thread if a certain 2 or 3 posters who don't like dissent that much and want to control the conversation were suddenly deputized by staff to hand out permabans. That's what happened to Reddit and now it sucks.

For the 400th time, no one here is trying to snuff out negative opinions of this show.

Nor would anyone here, if given mod status, go around deleting negative opinions/handing out permabans just because they're negative.

This is such a dumb, straw man argument that keeps popping up every so often, based on nothing but paranoia.

Rather, it's the people who DON'T and HAVEN'T watched the show, who endlessly complain about the show, that gets old.

Rather, it's the hyper-fixation on "woke," when there's next to nothing "woke" about this show, that gets old.

It's THOSE kinds of things that we rail against, and then people like you frame it as "posters who don't like dissent trying to control the conversation," when our criticisms are perfectly valid, and not at all about general negativity.

And again, this is coming from someone who's not a huge fan of the show myself. At least so far.

But it *is* fun to discuss, and theorize, and hope that it gets better. It just sucks trying to do those things while having to wade through a minefield of the same old culture war nonsense, from people who so clearly don't want to have a conversation of any kind, and instead want to this thread as their megaphone/street corner to virtue signal to anyone who will listen.
A coven of lesbian witches in self-exile because "the galaxy doesn't like women like us" (paraphrasing) who immaculately-conceive two black girl daughters, one of whom kills the only two white humans we've seen in the show isn't exactly "nothing". It may not be the in-your-face Pride Parade some people on twitter and youtube try to make it out to be, but it's not nothing.

I don't think that is the biggest problem with the show or episode 3. The biggest problem with episode 3 is that the script, direction, and acting were all hot garbage.

But WHY is that bad? Sure, some posters here might define that as "woke," but no one is actually explaining WHY "a coven of lesbian witches" is actual, bad writing.

We've somehow reached a point where anything that can remotely be seen as "woke" automatically = "bad," and we're all just supposed to agree, without the complainer actually explaining the mechanics of what makes it "hot garbage."

THAT'S what I tend to push back on.

I'm not saying any of that isn't bad - again, I wasn't a huge fan either - I'm simply asking for people to explain their gripes beyond "woke" = "bad."
It is bad because it is predictable. When the Obi-Won series came out people were already predicting that there wasn't anyway that Reva was going to be the villain the entire series because she was a black female. Lo and behold at the end they gave her a redemption angle.
Cliff.Booth
The Jedi destroyed the witch coven by cutting the Thread. It's known as Force Scissoring.
TXAG 05
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

The Jedi destroyed the witch coven by cutting the Thread. It's known as Force Scissoring.

Scissor me timbers
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Watched it last night. I'm still not sure what I think of the show, but right now it's sitting down at the bottom next to BoBF for me. It's not even the stuff everyone's calling "woke", though I do find that annoying, it's the story telling. Especially with this episode. We're going to revisit the flashback to the fire at LEAST two more times, maybe three. We have to get Mae's perspective, we have to get Sol's perspective, and then we'll probably get some mixture of the two for the final "true" perspective sometime after that. And there's something about the "feel" of the show that just doesn't feel...right? Like, if you didn't know that the Jedi characters were called Jedi, would you even know that this is Star Wars? I get that it's supposed to be a different era, I just feel like I'm watching a campy murder-mystery with a space theme.

I'm going to keep watching and hope that it improves, but I'm not feeling optimistic at the moment.
Charlie Conway
I think it's weird that you have however many seasons of the Mandalorian and the Bad Batch in which the whole background of both shows is trying to create force sensitive beings and this show has a random witch create two of them. It just seems to me like it undermines both of those shows.
ttaggie
AG
Im done with Star Wars...honestly they don't know what they are doing. It went from the "force" to the "thread". Give me a GD break! They are just throwing S**t against the wall, putting Star Wars on it and hoping it makes money. Its just stupid at this point. I feel stupid for watching any of this. I would rather go check out a good book with an original story that makes sense.

Its hard to keep caring when everything is so obviously detached from anything the original creators would have come up with.

Not to mention all the woke stuff, but that is the least of the issues with this crappy show. Goodbye Star Wars, it was nice knowing you. Goodbye Disney+, you have successfully ruined one of the best IPs in existence.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Red Five
AG
Charlie Conway said:

I think it's weird that you have however many seasons of the Mandalorian and the Bad Batch in which the whole background of both shows is trying to create force sensitive beings and this show has a random witch create two of them. It just seems to me like it undermines both of those shows.
It seems that way to you because it does undermine them, and worse, the prequel trilogy and Anakin.

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life."

And also, some other people before him did it, no big deal.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ttaggie said:

Im done with Star Wars...honestly they don't know what they are doing. It went from the "force" to the "thread". Give me a GD break! They are just throwing S**t against the wall, putting Star Wars on it and hoping it makes money. Its just stupid at this point. I feel stupid for watching any of this. I would rather go check out a good book with an original story that makes sense.

Its hard to keep caring when everything is so obviously detached from anything the original creators would have come up with.

Not to mention all the woke stuff, but that is the least of the issues with this crappy show. Goodbye Star Wars, it was nice knowing you. Goodbye Disney+, you have successfully ruined one of the best IPs in existence.
First post and last post about Star Wars are the same post?

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Flashdiaz
AG
Kind of want a big reveal where it turns out that horny chick had an affair with Darth Balls and had the kids and tricked the other mother thinking it was some sort of voodoo magic.
justnobody79
Flashdiaz said:

Kind of want a big reveal where it turns out that horny chick had an affair with Darth Balls and had the kids and tricked the other mother thinking it was some sort of voodoo magic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"My dad got around."
"They're chosen zeroes."

jokershady
AG
Flashdiaz said:

nah ah! That Sith dude would be all like....

but then later they'd pull that thread and be all like....

And then those crazy witches would be all like....

and roll credits baby!!!!

FL_Ag1998
AG
Here's my preference.

Keep the movies hardcore central Star Wars storylines that adhere to the rules, history, etc. established by Lucas in the OT and PT. It doesn't have to center around the Skywalker family, just don't try to rewrite Star Wars history or established Star Wars rules. I think the fans deserve that much. Its the fans love of the OT that have made Star Wars the preeminent franchise in cinema history. That's certainly not due to the quality of the products put out over the years.

I think for the most part the movies have done the above. That's what made Rogue One so great. Not only was it superbly crafted but it gave us a moment in Star Wars history we were hungry to see and it stuck to the established Star Wars lore and rules. Conversely the Rey trilogy sucked in large part because they tried to subvert established Star Wars mythology. Rian Johnson is a good filmaker but he's still on my ****list because of that.

Now the tv shows are where they should let filmakers deviate if they want. If they want to stick steadfast to more established characters, fine. But if they want to break new ground with new characters and new plotlines, that's fine as long as those storylines add to but don't weaken the established rules, characters, lore, etc. I absolutely love Rebels and we owe that to the tv expansion of the Star Wars universe.

So, overall I'm ok with 95% of what Disney has tried to do on the small screen. The weakness of the shows has really come from the dialogue, character actions, and character motivations. Not from the storylines and themes or the very limited "wokeness" that's been sprinkled in.
LPHA
AG
I'd love for them to explore something new. Maybe a longer time ago, in a galaxy far farther away.
Joan Wilder
AG
It's interesting, I interpreted the "women like us" comment to be in reference to them being witches, because it reminded me of the witches /night sisters stories in Clone Wars.

It's a big galaxy, there are a lot of stories to tell. In Andor, 2 of the crew on the Aldahni heist were partners. The Ferrix citizens were all different races and backgrounds. None of that was criticized for being "woke" because the writing, acting, direction were all stellar.

Acolyte's problems aren't that the characters are diverse. It's the writing. The Jedi saying "we're not here to take children! Jedi don't take children. Please turn over the children so we can take them" all in one breath was absolutely laughable. And you don't have a lot of good actors who can lift the wooden writing and directing through their performances.

And I continue to be baffled by the cheap set design and makeup.
The Porkchop Express
AG
PSA

This thread is for the discussion of what is happening on the screen during the episodes.

If you aren't watching the show, there is zero reason to post here.
There have been some big dust-ups on other threads about the intent of the show's creator and the racial / gender makeup of the cast. Please try to keep discussion on topic. There are plenty of other places to discuss those issues if that is your goal.

Other places include
General Star Wars Thread
If You Still Own Disney Stock, You Might Want to Reconsider

Moral High Horse
Maximus_Meridius said:

I'm going to keep watching and hope that it improves, but I'm not feeling optimistic at the moment.

Id probably move on from this point. Cant make good wine with bad grapes. This show would have to bring in mando and baby yoda to try and recover and maybe….oh wait.
Cliff.Booth
Funny analysis.

Cliff.Booth
This one is good, too.

redline248
AG
Moral High Horse said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Id probably move on from this point. Cant make good wine with bad grapes. This show would have to bring in mando and baby yoda to try and recover and maybe….oh wait.
Adult Yoda incoming
Moral High Horse
Only question will it be greasey phantom menace puppet yoda or bad cgi yoda.
Vince Blake
Moral High Horse said:

Only question will it be greasey phantom menace puppet yoda or bad cgi yoda.

Whichever one gives us the better lecture on the evils of the patriarchy.

I kid. I kid.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
My twelve year old ( the hardcore Clone Wars lover) and I final watched the first 3 episodes. He has no issue with the witches ( just a different kind of Nightsister) or the premise of the twins and being "like Anakin".

When I asked him if he liked it the first thing out of his mouth was, "Yord should not have a yellow lightsaber but blue, he isn't Knowledge he is kind of an idiot. Jecki( the Padawan) should be yellow."
redline248
AG
Lol. I wonder what color hers is
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
redline248 said:

Lol. I wonder what color hers is

Green from the action figures
The Porkchop Express
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

My twelve year old ( the hardcore Clone Wars lover) and I final watched the first 3 episodes. He has no issue with the witches ( just a different kind of Nightsister) or the premise of the twins and being "like Anakin".

When I asked him if he liked it the first thing out of his mouth was, "Yord should not have a yellow lightsaber but blue, he isn't Knowledge he is kind of an idiot. Jecki( the Padawan) should be yellow."

Had he played KOTOR?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
No , but he researches that stuff on line.

He also said "yellow used to be temple guard but is now Knowledge "
The Porkchop Express
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

No , but he researches that stuff on line.

He also said "yellow used to be temple guard but is now Knowledge "

You can do2nload kotor on PC or switch. He would love it, there is a point where you take a test on what kind of jedi you are and get the saber
PatAg
AG
redline248
AG
Predictions for tonight? Osha learns the truth (or at least more details)? Kelnacca dies?
Charlie Conway
when do they show that Osha has the forehead tattoo and is actually the "bad" one

a la Hugo and Bart Simpson

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.