***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,439 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
BQRyno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rynning said:

"For the many-eeeeeee!" My entire family busted out laughing at the Broadway-esque moment.

Ha yeah the song in the background was a little much. I didn't notice they were singing the words she was saying at first.
Vince Blake
Oof. That was a bad, boring episode.
jokershady
AG
Per my usual I'll be watching tomorrow but…..wow……2.9 on IMDB for this episode…..granted that's only with 137 individual recorded scores…..compared to episode 1 with 8,583 scores and episode 2 with 7,608 scores…..

I watched the ratings of those 2 episodes and yes they were rated lower at the beginning….but not too much lower than where they finished…..episode 1 when I first looked was at 5.5 and now it's at a 6 and it was similar for episode 2…..

So I'm guessing this episode stays in the low 4s at best, but will likely stay in the 3s somewhere…..

Seeing for myself tomorrow
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pleasantly surprised the Jedi did nothing wrong.

Unless they purposely mislead us in that episode somehow.
There was major-league omissions there. You don't burn down a stone fortress with a fire from a notebook. Plus there's ton of stuff from trailers related to those scenes that didn't show up in this episode including possessed Tommen fighting Kelnacca in that main room. I suspect the witches decided not to give Osha up and things got nasty. It's just going to be a matter of who started the violence.

I hope it's OK if a few of us talk about the episodes in the thread about the show instead of having the same debate over and over . I can start another thread if necessary.
CheeseSndwch
How did presumably a bunch of powerful witches succumb to a fire in a stone fortress/castle?

I was expecting the twins to be from a primitive culture that died in a forest fire, so the coven of witches was a bit of a turn.

Also, I'm pretty sure I spotted a guy (or a really ugly woman) during the ascension ceremony.

Anyways, I didn't so much mind where the story went but the acting in episode 3 was about as bad as it gets.
Cliff.Booth
This series is like a clown bus crashing through railing on a mountain pass and I just can't look away. Who in the F saw this and said, yeah, let's roll with this. Same level of perplexed mixed with sad mixed with amused that I walked out of SW episode 8 feeling.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yeah, and I don't think what we saw tonight would have left Torbin so guilt-stricken that he would have self-induced into that trance and then committed suicide like we saw in episode 2.

I don't think tonight's episode was anything phenomenal but it did provide good backstory to Mae and Osha as well as set up the Jedi as possibly the true "villians" of this story. The witches simply wanted to be left alone while the Jedi decided they had the right to determine what was best for children across the galaxy.
FL_Ag1998
AG
So, based on the above reactions can I assume there will be a lot less viewers and thread contributors next week?
Cliff.Booth
Nah I'm interested in it but not in the way I guess I'm supposed to be. I'll see how it plays out, but, yikes.
The Porkchop Express
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Yeah, and I don't think what we saw tonight would have left Torbin so guilt-stricken that he would have self-induced into that trance and then committed suicide like we saw in episode 2.

I don't think tonight's episode was anything phenomenal but it did provide good backstory to Mae and Osha as well as set up the Jedi as possibly the true "villians" of this story. The witches simply wanted to be left alone while the Jedi decided they had the right to determine what was best for children across the galaxy.
Yeah, I thought the episode did a good job of showing both sides not wanting a fight, but definitely wanting their word to be the last word. Based on how the twins' mother look when Osha still chose the Jedi, it seems entirely possible that the witches decide d they weren't going to let it happen and things got nasty, especially since they had already possessed Tommen once. Still not sure how that blows up the whole place, although they seemed to have some sort of exposed central generator in that one scene.

Indara doesn't seem the type to let her Padawan get possessed without some retribution and maybe it was just a house of cards from there. Mae falls but easily could have used the Force to catch herself based on the powers she showed earlier.

Probably won't find out the rest of the story until Episodes 7-8. Liked the homage to Anakin's testing in TPM - the blood sample and the item ID, and liked Osha gravitating towards Kelnacca, like most kids would seeing a big hairy guy like that.

My bigger question would be how Osha knows about the Jedi at all; it seems like any teaching she might have learned in the coven would not be favorable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I read that completely differently. The Jedi didn't force anyone to come with them, whereas the witches were the ones who wanted to keep Osha essentially trapped as a prisoner.
Ag Since 83
AG
There better be a lot more to that fire than they showed, otherwise the witches dying is worse than kid Leia outrunning the kidnappers in the woods. Yeesh.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I read that completely differently. The Jedi didn't force anyone to come with them, whereas the witches were the ones who wanted to keep Osha essentially trapped as a prisoner.
Indara told the main witch that they couldn't deny the Jedi's right to test the children. That definitely sounded like they were going to get their way, and they forced their way into their fortress as well - they said something about snapping the cables on the bridge maybe?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Test them, but not take the kids against their wills.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

Per my usual I'll be watching tomorrow but…..wow……2.9 on IMDB for this episode…..granted that's only with 137 individual recorded scores…..compared to episode 1 with 8,583 scores and episode 2 with 7,608 scores…..

I watched the ratings of those 2 episodes and yes they were rated lower at the beginning….but not too much lower than where they finished…..episode 1 when I first looked was at 5.5 and now it's at a 6 and it was similar for episode 2…..

So I'm guessing this episode stays in the low 4s at best, but will likely stay in the 3s somewhere…..

Seeing for myself tomorrow
Is there anyway for IMDB to prove someone watched the show before ranking it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nope. This is a clear cut case of review bombing.
TV Casualty
AG
If the "force" is female, does that mean the "thread" is male?

Thunderstruck xx
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's not really review bombing when the quality of the show matches the ratings. Lot's of justifiably angry fans are writing reviews to voice their displeasure. It doesn't matter if they're first time reviews. Most people don't care enough to leave a review until something upsets them. The critic reviews are just not matching reality.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
This show is so uneven.

1. This was clearly the cover or official story. I imagine the rest of the show is cracking through the "official story".

2. Conceptually, I like the idea of renegade force users creating the morale dilemma for the Jedi. Should the Jedi shut the coven down? Should the Jedi be able to test and take children? Fundamentally, these are good questions to ask.

3. The witches chanting/purpose/beliefs were poorly explained/shown. The ceremony could have used a couple more passes.

4. I am going to say that after all 8 episodes. The story could have been edited differently with this episode interspersed and the actual truth weaved in. In my head, it looks kinda like Memento.

Theories:

1. So, we generally think the witches know how to created immaculate children. So, this knowledge will presumably lead into the path of creating Anakin?

2. I am even less sure what Mae is, either she is real, a force projection, or a fractured piece of one soul? I hope this is interesting at least in concept. It seemed to be filmed as if she is real or something else.

3. I think when the head witch tainted Tommen the padawan, it did something to him and he snapped leading to the massive destruction. Three Jedi and the padawan coming after the witches seems like a lot of force. There better be more to the story.

4. So Mae's face marking? Unsure on that one.

I still like this at about 7.5. Conceptually asking interesting questions like KOTOR 2. But flawed execution.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

nah I'm gonna disagree on that one….every Star Wars show has had a ratings swing one way or another….

How do I know that? Cause I never get to friggin watch these things the day they come out, so literally EVERY EPISODE of Mando, BoBF, Ashoka, Kenobi, Andor, and now Acolyte I go online and look up the IMDB rating because at least I get a little hype around the episode and also my kids want to know….

I've seen episodes of Mando start out in the low 9s and finish in the high 7s…..the few that give extreme ratings no matter the product always get corrected by the masses and it'll happen here….

It's already gone up from 2.9 to 3.3 but clearly it's a sign that it's not being received well and shouldn't just be labeled as review bombing
The Porkchop Express
AG
Thunderstruck xx said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's not really review bombing when the quality of the show matches the ratings. Lot's of justifiably angry fans are writing reviews to voice their displeasure. It doesn't matter if they're first time reviews. Most people don't care enough to leave a review until something upsets them. The critic reviews are just not matching reality.
Do you not see your unintentional comedy here?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry but your post doesn't make sense. Hundreds of people having reviewed it before it even came out and most of those being 1's is the textbook definition of review bombing.

And I didn't even love the episode.
redline248
AG
Does this show want us to be sympathetic to these other groups and dislike the Jedi? That's a hard sell, especially when the first thing you do is escalate the sitch by possessing the padawan.

I am going to need Sol to tell me why they were 1) breaking in to their home and 2) so concerned about the mark on Mae's head.

By the way, adult Mae doesn't have that mark, right?

We definitely didn't see the full story on that fire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is what I don't get. There was nothing in this episode that made them sympathetic, nor anything that villainized the Jedi.

So it kind of feels like they just wasted 40 minutes of our time if they're going to completely recontextualize the whole thing at the end of the season, having left out all the vital info.

May as well have just skipped this episode and continued the story since we didn't learn anything that we didn't get from Sol's summary of it, and then show us the whole story at the end.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sorry but your post doesn't make sense. Hundreds of people having reviewed it before it even came out and most of those being 1's is the textbook definition of review bombing.

My point is that happens with every episode every time. It's either 10s or 1s….and in the end the expected score still shows….

Here's another example….this episode is showing 175 ratings compared to the last episode having a total of 7,608…..

Let's assume episode 3 will have a a little less than that in total ratings and make it an even 7,000……that's roughly 2% of the expected total…..

I'm not calling that a bomb it's in line with everything else that's came out
Cliff.Booth
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's definitely some of both. Some people realized what it was gonna be based on the pressers and stuff and are review bombing it based on that, and some of us are just masochistic enough to watch this and see for ourselves. A lot of the 2's and 3's are from people like me who watched it and felt like they'd just had their childhood ideas of George Lucas' Star Wars shat upon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still have no idea what point you're trying to make.

Currently there's 175 total votes, with 133 of those being 1-star. So yes, that is review bombing.

Does it happen on a lot of other episodes? Sure. But to this extent? Rarely. And it's clearly not based on the content of the episode. There's a pretty clear difference between a 5-6 (probably what this episode should garner), and a 2.9.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Still have no idea what point you're trying to make.

Currently there's 175 total votes, with 133 of those being 1-star. So yes, that is review bombing.

Does it happen on a lot of other episodes? Sure. But to this extent? Rarely. And it's clearly not based on the content of the episode. There's a pretty clear difference between a 5-6 (probably what this episode should garner), and a 2.9.
im trying to use math to explain its pointless to care…because it won't change anything.

For example there's always 50-100 people that would give a 10 to an episode of Mando before it was even possible to have watched it all….

Those ratings will always be such a small statistic it simply doesn't matter and I'm pointing out it's happened with tons of Star Wars episodes but was never brought up before….

Give it 24 hours and it'll reflect an accurate number and the 100 or so people will be like throwing a chair off the Titanic….it won't matter
Madmarttigan
AG
They didn't even hint that this was anything lesbian related she created the children with her version of the force.

Also this entire episode was clearly just Oshas point of view. I'm sure there is more about these events not shown or this will go down as another truly awful Star Wars show. It wouldn't make any sense that literally everyone died from 1 fire being no matter how stupidly fast it spread.
Formerly tv1113
PatAg
AG
redline248 said:

Does this show want us to be sympathetic to these other groups and dislike the Jedi? That's a hard sell, especially when the first thing you do is escalate the sitch by possessing the padawan.

I am going to need Sol to tell me why they were 1) breaking in to their home and 2) so concerned about the mark on Mae's head.

By the way, adult Mae doesn't have that mark, right?

We definitely didn't see the full story on that fire.
She did, that is one way we could tell that Osha was not the assassin as the assassin had the mark and you saw it when she fought Indara.
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Indara told the main witch that they couldn't deny the Jedi's right to test the children. That definitely sounded like they were going to get their way, and they forced their way into their fortress as well - they said something about snapping the cables on the bridge maybe?
My take is, that the head witch (Aniseya? the one with the mark) was actually going to let Osha go with the Jedi since it is what she wanted.
I also think the Jedi likely came in and presumptively said "we are taking her", or maybe also said they are taking Mae. The witches didn't like the Jedi presuming they can do as they please and take what they want, and from their point of view that would be a pretty oppresive thing to do. That likely leads to the start of whatever fighting occurred.
It also seems very likely that the Jedi lied to Osha about what happened, but from their point of view it may be one of those kind white lies?

Its interesting that most of the witches were dead in that one cavern and the mother witch (Aniseya?) died outside in that village area.

Also, the actress playing Aniseya did a great job I thought.
I also think the two child actresses were pretty good for children.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

This series is like a clown bus crashing through railing on a mountain pass and I just can't look away. Who in the F saw this and said, yeah, let's roll with this. Same level of perplexed mixed with sad mixed with amused that I walked out of SW episode 8 feeling.
And yet you keep watching it, which makes you Disney's de facto best customer - you think the product sucks, but you continue paying money to watch it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My take is, that the head witch (Aniseya? the one with the mark) was actually going to let Osha go with the Jedi since it is what she wanted.
I also think the Jedi likely came in and presumptively said "we are taking her", or maybe also said they are taking Mae. The witches didn't like the Jedi presuming they can do as they please and take what they want, and from their point of view that would be a pretty oppresive thing to do. That likely leads to the start of whatever fighting occurred.
It also seems very likely that the Jedi lied to Osha about what happened, but from their point of view it may be one of those kind white lies?

Its interesting that most of the witches were dead in that one cavern and the mother witch (Aniseya?) died outside in that village area.

Initially I thought she was going to let her go as well, but I think 1 or 2 things happened.

1) The mother assumed she would ever see her again, and when Osha still said no, she decided to find a way to deny the Jedi. no, she decided to find a way to deny the Jedi.

2) There was a schism in the witches - with Aniseya saying she could go and the Zabrak - Mother Coril(sp?)) leading a revolt against that decision and the Jedi themselves. That could be a reason why Aniseya's body was found away from the others - perhaps the others detained her or restrained her somehow and then attacked or confronted the Jedi.

Definitely a lot of layers that hopefully we get to see later. By presenting the coven as a family first, it tinges our view of the Jedi we know being the light / good. Aniseya herself says they were hunted because some believed that they had dark powers - but if they are on a uninhabited planet outside Republic space, what right do the Jedi have to come take their kids? Especially when Sol tells Osha there are "thousands" of Jedi on Coruscant. Do you have to have all of them everywhere?

Not sure we'll get the whole back story, but perhaps the witches are a group the Jedi have gone up against before, maybe even to the point where the witches were "allowed" to go into exile on the promise that they didn't recruit or add new members to their ranks.

PatAg
AG

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Initially I thought she was going to let her go as well, but I think 1 or 2 things happened.

1) The mother assumed she would ever see her again, and when Osha still said no, she decided to find a way to deny the Jedi. no, she decided to find a way to deny the Jedi.

2) There was a schism in the witches - with Aniseya saying she could go and the Zabrak - Mother Coril(sp?)) leading a revolt against that decision and the Jedi themselves. That could be a reason why Aniseya's body was found away from the others - perhaps the others detained her or restrained her somehow and then attacked or confronted the Jedi.

Definitely a lot of layers that hopefully we get to see later. By presenting the coven as a family first, it tinges our view of the Jedi we know being the light / good. Aniseya herself says they were hunted because some believed that they had dark powers - but if they are on a uninhabited planet outside Republic space, what right do the Jedi have to come take their kids? Especially when Sol tells Osha there are "thousands" of Jedi on Coruscant. Do you have to have all of them everywhere?

Not sure we'll get the whole back story, but perhaps the witches are a group the Jedi have gone up against before, maybe even to the point where the witches were "allowed" to go into exile on the promise that they didn't recruit or add new members to their ranks.

Yea, the witches very well could just be actually evil and we are being intentionally misled for story reasons.
The scene where the two kids walk back into the fortress, and its playing happy music and there appears to be a version of a village square where they are given cookies was a nice touch if so.
TCTTS
AG
It wasn't nearly as bad or as "woke" or as "game-changing" as early reactions led us to believe (surprise, surprise), I just hate that they chose to waste an entire episode on that. I know the adage is to "show don't tell," but that easily could have been a three-minute conversation between present-day characters, in voiceover/recap fashion, with only a handful of flashback shots depicting most of what we just saw. That way, we could have been spared the kid actor dialogue, along with the repetitiveness, while simultaneously moving the plot forward in the present. Now? We only have five episodes left to wrap up season one, when it feels like we've hardly even started.

That said, on a positive note, the cinematography/sets/production design continue to look great to me. Yes, it's all still a bit too flat/gray, but IMO, after three episodes, this is easily the best-looking Star Wars show after Andor and parts of The Mandalorian.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.