*** The Concert Thread ***

219,458 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by 62strat
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jh0400 said:

We saw Luke Combs at NRG on Friday. Agreed to go, because I've wanted to see Charles Wesley Godwin for a while, and Cody Jinks always puts on a good show. The sound quality at NRG is never great, but the mix was surprisingly bad. All of the vocals sounded mumbled. Very different than the experience a few weeks ago at JI400U & Zach Bryan.
I went on Saturday night to the Luke Combs show at NRG with a different undercard and the sound / acoustics were so bad it was really a disgrace. A real shame for all the artists. If you were lucky, you could hear some mumbled vocals but underneath that the music was just pure noise - impossible to pick out any instrument or unique sound. When an artist would talk and pause, there last word would continue on for several seconds. Just amazingly bad.
Phrasing
AG
I Prevail on Saturday at the Woodlands was really good. Didn't know much about them. Also really enjoyed the opener Fit For A King. The other opener Hollywood Undead was not as good.
TP Ag '87
AG
Creed, 3 Doors Down and Finger 11 were a lot of fun this past Saturday in Indy. PERFECT weather for an outdoor show.
AMW2010
AG
August 11, Cynthia woods… Limp Bizkit

From what I heard it was a sell out. I haven't been to a real concert in a long while… and I must say, Fred Durst sounded AMAZING last night. If you pulled up a song online vs live, it was nearly identical. Everyone had a blast! He was on stage for about hour and a half. Done 6 minutes til 11pm.
LandArchSA
AG
but more importantly, how was Corey Feldman?
JYDog90
AG
LandArchSA said:

Is his thing a massive troll job?
Formerly Willy Wonka
Know Your Enemy
AG
JYDog90 said:

LandArchSA said:

Is his thing a massive troll job?

No, he's seriously ****ed in the head and honestly thinks he's talented.
Another Doug
AG
AMW2010 said:

August 11, Cynthia woods… Limp Bizkit

From what I heard it was a sell out. I haven't been to a real concert in a long while… and I must say, Fred Durst sounded AMAZING last night. If you pulled up a song online vs live, it was nearly identical. Everyone had a blast! He was on stage for about hour and a half. Done 6 minutes til 11pm.

Gotta love technology, I remember when bands sounding good live was the exception not the rule.
TP Ag '87
AG
How good/bad are the floor seats at a Minute Maid concert? The Def/Journey stage is funky with the internal pit so we're debating where to sit.
LandArchSA
AG
I'm not sure why this whole thing fascinates me...maybe it's the cringe factor. I caught a clip from an interview Feldman did with Howie Mandel and am left wondering what's a bit and what's not. I have no doubt he's self-absorbed enough to think he's legit but skip to the 23:55 mark in this interview where he talks about the Loserville Tour and Fred Durst's (supposed) premise for it:

Corey Feldman WORLD PREMIERE | New Song "The Joke" | Howie Mandel Does Stuff #192 (youtube.com)

Maybe he's in on the joke? Or just conceited enough to think he's above the joke? Who knows...
Proposition Joe
Eh... He's legitimately excited and positive about where he's at. Hard to laugh at him for that.

He's a Goonie. He's a Frog Brother. He hung out with Michael Jackson and didn't get molested. He killed Jason Voorhees. He did an erotic thriller with Nicole Eggert in her prime.

And now he's part of an ampitheater tour?

He may be a bit mixed up in the head but he has lived one helluva life.
cc10106
Proposition Joe said:

erotic thriller with Nicole Eggert in her prime.
LandArchSA
AG
No argument here...that guy saw and did more in the 80's than I've seen and done in almost 50 years of living

Proposition Joe
It's one of the more elevated cinema debates of our time -- which 'Blown Away' was better, and why.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It's one of the more elevated cinema debates of our time -- which 'Blown Away' was better, and why.

There's no debate. Naked Nicole Eggert makes that an easy decision.
AMW2010
AG
LandArchSA said:

I didn't get to Cynthia woods until just before limp bizkit went on… had ZERO intention of seeing any of the other opening acts.
JYDog90
AG
Went to Steve Miller, Journey, and Def Leppard last night at Minute Maid. I thought the sound was awful.

Journey got better as it went along and it was a lot of fun by the end. I felt like DL was a garbled mess.
Formerly Willy Wonka
mm98
AG
So happy I got to see them in Nashville a few weeks ago. Sounded awesome in open air stadium.
WES2006AG
AG
Just noticed St Paul and the Broken Bones are playing the Love Street Festival in Houston on 10/13. Just picked up a ticket, very excited to finally catch these guys live.
62strat
AG
not a concert.. but metallica related.

Anybody got $30K?

https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/auction-enjoy-dinner-with-james-hetfield-of-metallica-2999104
maroon barchetta
I'll buy a Powerball ticket. If I win I'll bring you with me to have dinner with James.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I'll buy a Powerball ticket. If I win I'll bring you with me to have dinner with James.
sounds like a deal.
I live 2 hours away, so I don't even need a plane ticket or anything.

In all seriousness, my next door neighbor (also good friend) has a high needs 9 year old in a wheel chair, and he's done adaptive skiing with him at keystone.
He also owns his own business in HVAC sales. Could probably totally swing $30k from a business expense perspective.

I showed this to him with that small hope he'll be like, dang I'll donate to this charity, and you're coming with me!

He knows my love for the might Met.
JYDog90
AG
WES2006AG said:

Just noticed St Paul and the Broken Bones are playing the Love Street Festival in Houston on 10/13. Just picked up a ticket, very excited to finally catch these guys live.
saw them last year in Austin at Paramount Theater. They were REALLY good.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Maveric
AG
JYDog90 said:

Went to Steve Miller, Journey, and Def Leppard last night at Minute Maid. I thought the sound was awful.

Journey got better as it went along and it was a lot of fun by the end. I felt like DL was a garbled mess.
I was there as well. The first four or five songs by Journey, neither my son or I knew what they were doing. Neal Schon is proud of his guitar skills and did several solos, but they were a garbled mess. I think everyone was glad when he was done. You wouldn't know that Steve Perry was not the lead singer if they didn't show Armel Pineda on the big screen. They went on too long.

Def Leppard was worse. While we could understand what songs were being sung, the lead vocalist's mic was lower than the rest to the point that it was like a whisper. We left about 30 minutes into their act.

TP Ag '87
AG
We were on the floor and I was really disappointed in the stage set up. We sat too close and really couldn't see them on the main stage unless we stood up. Lucky I'm 6' tall but not sure how much my 5'6" wife could see until they ran around on the extended stage on our side.

Yeah, sound was pretty garbled. Also disappointing.

What was a friggin' joke was the cocktail lines. Beer looked ok but I waited well over 30 minutes and missed about 3 Journey songs.

Bathrooms also sucked unless you went in the dark part of the main concourse which is the outfield..

And, yeah, I know its 100 degrees outside and it was better than being at The Woodlands, but I still thought it was steamy in there. MUCH warmer than a game.

Plus side: The video screens were probably best I've ever seen. HD clarity was amazing.
62strat
AG
I went to a show at MMP back 20 years ago, and it was terrible, and I never considered it again.

Looking at setlist.fm, minute maid park seems to think they're a legit concert venue at this point?
Why is this venue in the rotation of concert promoters, they should know better. Go to the arena or stadium, it's tried and true. A ballpark seems really awkward for a crowd layout.

SJEAg
AG
Sucks that the sound was bad.

I thought Def Leppard (both the actual band and the acoustics) sounded surprisingly good on their last Minute Maid visit. Motley Crue sounded terrible, but not blaming the acoustics for that.
cc10106
I assume the recent increase in concerts at MMP has to do with lost revenue from the 2020 season.

RHCP sounded fine there last year, but i was sitting in club level if that makes any difference. I didn't have any expectations considering it was a gift from someone who couldn't attend.
JYDog90
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

We were on the floor and I was really disappointed in the stage set up. We sat too close and really couldn't see them on the main stage unless we stood up. Lucky I'm 6' tall but not sure how much my 5'6" wife could see until they ran around on the extended stage on our side.

Yeah, sound was pretty garbled. Also disappointing.

What was a friggin' joke was the cocktail lines. Beer looked ok but I waited well over 30 minutes and missed about 3 Journey songs.

Bathrooms also sucked unless you went in the dark part of the main concourse which is the outfield..

And, yeah, I know its 100 degrees outside and it was better than being at The Woodlands, but I still thought it was steamy in there. MUCH warmer than a game.

Plus side: The video screens were probably best I've ever seen. HD clarity was amazing.
The men's restroom line was really long. I chalked that up to a bunch of old guys with prostate problems going to see Journey, DL, and Steve Miller.

I told my boys that I think Journey would be much more enjoyable if Neal Schon played 20% less.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Gap
AG
I went to Journey/Def Leppard last night at Minute Maid Park and Luke Combs at NRG Stadium on Saturday. The sound last night for Journey /Def Leppard was far superior to that in NRG stadium for Luke Combs. After being at NRG on Saturday, I thought last night at MMP was pretty good by comparison. It is crazy that they can't get the sound to a reasonable place for these multi, multi million dollar big time tours.
mm98
AG
For me it's open air stadiums for rock concerts going forward.

Having seen the same acts in MMP and then in other cities there is a stark difference
WES2006AG
AG
The last two concerts I've seen at MMP (RHCP, Billy Joel) both sounded great. Hopefully Chris Stapelton has a good set up next week.
Philo B 93
I was there. Great seats, mediocre sound. It felt like the sound guys gave up towards the end of Journey and just threw the knobs all up to 11.

Whatever, still enjoyed it.
KidDoc
AG
Journey & DL sounded great at Fenway. Much smaller park and open air likely made a difference. We were also sitting almost directly in front of the soundboard so that likely helped.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCSWguru
Thought Leppard and Journey sounded great. Lack of restrooms for those on the floor, though. Brutal. Then if you were anywhere close to the main stage, your view was obstructed by their stage extensions. I wont do another stadium show like this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.