*** The Concert Thread ***

644,607 Views | 4258 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 62strat
Hotdog Hamblin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kind of surprised to see this discourse on Billy as though he's just a great guitar player who sings covers. He just released an album last month with ~15 songs after releasing an album last year with ~20 songs. I don't know who has released more studio albums in the last 6-7 years. Dude is a prolific songwriter, not just an amazingly talented player. He's a bluegrass musician at heart, so yes he plays a bunch of old traditional standards. But plenty of his own stuff too. He also has a great voice and stage presence, which I think has contributed to his "crossover" appeal. I was at that Moody show mentioned above last December and it was great, but I doubt anything will top December 2021(?) at White Oak. Indoors, small venue, no idea what to expect. Top 5 show all time.
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just surprised Billy has been mentioned and JBlaze hasn't shown up to beat off about it
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jetch17 said:

I'm just surprised Billy has been mentioned and JBlaze hasn't shown up to beat off about it
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
62strat said:

Philo B 93 said:

TXAG 05 said:

Not sure I knew he had original songs, everything I had seen from him was a cover. Been curious what the draw was for him.


The draw for Billy Strings is that he is a freak of nature, talentwise. He's the bluegrass acoustic version of a SRV or Hendrix, and you realize it when you see him live. Bluegrass isn't that cool or interesting to me. But when you see a guy with his level of raw talent, it just draws you in if you like music.

You've probably seen the famous youtube video of him on a couch in an apartment playing "Dust in a Baggie" for his buds, including the stoned guy who looks like a garden gnome. That's when I realized his talent was next-next level. I saw him live and confirmed it.



but SRV and Hendrix had a thorough catalog of well known originals. That's where Billy is an anomaly.

Playing mostly covers even at a really high talent level doesn't seem like it would fill an arena. Most people don't recognize musical talent. Not outside of musicians themselves.


That's the thing about Billy Strings - his talent is big enough that people who wouldn't normally recognize musical talent actually get a feeling of awe from him.

Plus, he has the whole jam-band / weed vibe which draws a big crowd you woudn't see at a Flatt and Scruggs tribute band. On top of that, the music is so full of raw vocal hamonies that is missing from so much music. No percussion to hide behind, no backing tracks, just 4 stringed instruments and 4 voices singing songs that sound like life in America before we were all born.

Its way more than some punk from Detroit singing old country covers.
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hotdog Hamblin said:

Kind of surprised to see this discourse on Billy as though he's just a great guitar player who sings covers. He just released an album last month with ~15 songs after releasing an album last year with ~20 songs. I don't know who has released more studio albums in the last 6-7 years. Dude is a prolific songwriter, not just an amazingly talented player.

the discourse is justified.. in three shows in denver, he played 29 covers and 41 originals or 40%. Take out one of the shows and it's 26 covers with 21 originals or 55%.

Quick count shows he has ~80 originals.

So that's why someone like myself who is not in his world (other than watching youtube clips now and again) might think he's just a really good guitar player who sings covers, based on setlist.fm info alone.



schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tame Impala at the Toyota center Sunday night

AggieRob93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

Tame Impala at the Toyota center Sunday night


Looks like Tame Impala is more than just one man!
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jetch17 said:

I'm just surprised Billy has been mentioned and JBlaze hasn't shown up to beat off about it

Been sick all week ever since the Kentucky game and just getting around to checking the concert thread.

To answer the original question, many of the covers are in heavy rotation so the fans that attend multiple shows/watch them all on nugs instantly know them.

A great example which isn't even a traditional bluegrass song is "Ole Slew Foot" by Johnny Horton. It's a rager and the audience instanly knows it from the beginning. A lot of others by Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe, John Hartford, etc often get played so they are very recognizable.

Then of course often thrown in covers by the likes of Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, Widespread Panic, Phish, etc. that anybody off the street should know.

They have seven studio albums to draw from so add all that together and that's what gives them the ability to play 3 hours per show with no setlists being remotely close to any ever performed.

For context (nerd alert), my stats are as follows: in 31 shows I have gotten 818 songs played with 292 of them being unique out of their total of 1,018 unique songs played all time. I've seen 33 songs that were first time played.

At each show I attend there are probably 2-3 songs that I'm not familiar with these days with the exception of the last two Decemeber 2024 and 2025 ACL Live shows. Those were both sit down shows and both just mostly all traditional bluegrass covers and tons I didn't recognize. They were great but nothing like a true BMFS show.

Not to mention their lights courtesy of Saxton Waller have reached Chris Kuroda levels now. And that well, Billy is simply the best guitar player on planet earth and the four other backing fellers are as world class as they come ta boot.

BOING!!!

ETA: Exhibit A from the most recent Denver show at Ball Arena of best guitarist on earth playing their best original song:

https://instagr.am/p/Ddr4Q_sSksO




johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love Tame Impala and that's a sweet looking setup.
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah it was a great show!
C1NRB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the "Weird Al" Yankovic show. So...
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

jetch17 said:

I'm just surprised Billy has been mentioned and JBlaze hasn't shown up to beat off about it

Been sick all week ever since the Kentucky game and just getting around to checking the concert thread.

To answer the original question, many of the covers are in heavy rotation so the fans that attend multiple shows/watch them all on nugs instantly know them.

A great example which isn't even a traditional bluegrass song is "Ole Slew Foot" by Johnny Horton. It's a rager and the audience instanly knows it from the beginning. A lot of others by Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe, John Hartford, etc often get played so they are very recognizable.

Then of course often thrown in covers by the likes of Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, Widespread Panic, Phish, etc. that anybody off the street should know.

They have seven studio albums to draw from so add all that together and that's what gives them the ability to play 3 hours per show with no setlists being remotely close to any ever performed.

For context (nerd alert), my stats are as follows: in 31 shows I have gotten 818 songs played with 292 of them being unique out of their total of 1,018 unique songs played all time. I've seen 33 songs that were first time played.

At each show I attend there are probably 2-3 songs that I'm not familiar with these days with the exception of the last two Decemeber 2024 and 2025 ACL Live shows. Those were both sit down shows and both just mostly all traditional bluegrass covers and tons I didn't recognize. They were great but nothing like a true BMFS show.

Not to mention their lights courtesy of Saxton Waller have reached Chris Kuroda levels now. And that well, Billy is simply the best guitar player on planet earth and the four other backing fellers are as world class as they come ta boot.

BOING!!!

ETA: Exhibit A from the most recent Denver show at Ball Arena of best guitarist on earth playing their best original song:

https://instagr.am/p/Ddr4Q_sSksO





ok now I'm really even more confused. Look, I'm a guitar player, and also a metal head (of which billy is) so I can understand a bunch of me(s) enjoying that.

But how is an arena full of people, people attending a 'bluegrass' artist concert, enjoying that?

Maybe a lot of drugs.

Clearly he's transcended the bluegrass fan base.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do Phish sell out stadiums with their elevator music?
7nine
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

How do Phish sell out stadiums with their elevator music?


Drugs?
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buddy of mine tried to get Widespread Panic tickets for New Years' in Charlotte. He was 20,000 deep in the queue when they sold out.
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
62strat said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

jetch17 said:

I'm just surprised Billy has been mentioned and JBlaze hasn't shown up to beat off about it

Been sick all week ever since the Kentucky game and just getting around to checking the concert thread.

To answer the original question, many of the covers are in heavy rotation so the fans that attend multiple shows/watch them all on nugs instantly know them.

A great example which isn't even a traditional bluegrass song is "Ole Slew Foot" by Johnny Horton. It's a rager and the audience instanly knows it from the beginning. A lot of others by Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe, John Hartford, etc often get played so they are very recognizable.

Then of course often thrown in covers by the likes of Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, Widespread Panic, Phish, etc. that anybody off the street should know.

They have seven studio albums to draw from so add all that together and that's what gives them the ability to play 3 hours per show with no setlists being remotely close to any ever performed.

For context (nerd alert), my stats are as follows: in 31 shows I have gotten 818 songs played with 292 of them being unique out of their total of 1,018 unique songs played all time. I've seen 33 songs that were first time played.

At each show I attend there are probably 2-3 songs that I'm not familiar with these days with the exception of the last two Decemeber 2024 and 2025 ACL Live shows. Those were both sit down shows and both just mostly all traditional bluegrass covers and tons I didn't recognize. They were great but nothing like a true BMFS show.

Not to mention their lights courtesy of Saxton Waller have reached Chris Kuroda levels now. And that well, Billy is simply the best guitar player on planet earth and the four other backing fellers are as world class as they come ta boot.

BOING!!!

ETA: Exhibit A from the most recent Denver show at Ball Arena of best guitarist on earth playing their best original song:

https://instagr.am/p/Ddr4Q_sSksO





ok now I'm really even more confused. Look, I'm a guitar player, and also a metal head (of which billy is) so I can understand a bunch of me(s) enjoying that.

But how is an arena full of people, people attending a 'bluegrass' artist concert, enjoying that?

Maybe a lot of drugs.

Clearly he's transcended the bluegrass fan base.


There were indeed a lot of drugs when I saw him at Moody, but I was completely sober and it was still incredible. It's REALLY hard to describe the vibe when they just go off on one of those really long tangents, with the lights and the crowd,etc. I think I've seen Metallica on every tour they've done (minus the Sphere) since the early 90's, and I can't really compare it to anything from those shows.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last night at BMO Stadium in Los Angeles (LAFC home ground), I saw:
Anthrax
Megadeth
Iron Maiden

All 3 were in top form (minus Dave Mustaine's vocals)

Second time I've seen Anthrax. Last time was at Red Rocks in 2000 when they opened for Megadeth and Motley Crue (Tommy Lee was in Jail then).

Anthrax has a loyal fan base and so much so that they did an Anthrax only show at The Roxy the night before.

I loved the Megadeth set that opened with two Mustaine era Metallica songs.

Dave did announce that they're retiring after this tour so, I'm glad I got to see them last night.

I can't even begin to describe how great the Iron Maiden show was.

They've updated the backdrops to show some really cool imagery.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to Ohana Festival a few years ago and it was a great time. Only went one day but saw Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs, Billy Strings, Jack White, and Eddie Vedder and the Earthlings.

Pearl Jam was closing out the festival last night and whaddya know. Eddie Vedder was on stage solo and invites out none other than Billy Strings who wasn't even on the bill. They played Elderly Woman together. I've seen Billy play that song four times live and every time he always tells the story about how his Mom loved PJ and in the 4th grade he played Elderly Woman in a talent contest and won.

So when Vedder introduced him last night Eddie told that story right before they played it. Then Pearl Jam came back on and Billy stayed on and grabbed an electric and shredded on Neil Young's "Throw Your Hatred Down".

Then Billy came back out in the encore and shredded again on "Rockin' in the Free World". Videos all over the place on IG. Just incredible stuff. /ohbilly.gif

ETA: The looks on Stone and Mike's faces says it all.

https://instagr.am/p/Dd0rEIIyZXE
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ttt for jetch
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didnt think Slipknot was big enough to do a stadium tour. Looks like they are doing just 1-2 stops per regions so that makes sense to increase demand and audience potential as well as cuts down on th enumber of dates they have to work.



Slipknot "(sic)est Stadium Tour" dates 2027":
7/3 London, UK - Wembley Stadium connected by EE #!
7/16 Washington, DC - Nationals Park ~%
7/18 Queens, NY - Citi Field ~%
7/21 Montral, QC - Parc Jean Drapeau ~^@
7/23 Toronto, ON - Rogers Stadium ~^
7/25 Chicago, IL - Soldier Field ~$
7/28 Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium ~!
7/31 Boston, MA - Fenway Park ~!
8/3 Nashville, TN - FirstBank Stadium ~^
8/6 Houston, TX - Daikin Park ~+
8/9 Commerce City, CO - Dick's Sporting Goods Park ~=
8/13 Inglewood, CA - SoFi Stadium ~=
8/15 San Francisco, CA - Golden Gate Park ~&=
8/18 Phoenix, AZ - Chase Field ~&
9/4 So Paulo, Brazil - The Town
9/8 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Estadio Huracn #
9/12 Santiago, Chile - Estadio Nacional #
9/14 Lima, Peru - Estadio Nacional #
9/16 Bogot, Colombia - Vive Claro #
# with Marilyn Manson, Hatebreed
~ with Bring Me The Horizon
% with Acid Bath
! with Lorna Shore
^ with Kublai Khan TX
@ with Vended
$ with Lamb of God
+ with Polyphia
= with Loathe
& with Motionless in White
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Mayer at the Sphere in April 2027
Solo | Full Band | Trio
https://johnmayer.com/

Might have to look into this one. Where The Light Is is a all time live album in my book

maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jim01 said:

John Mayer at the Sphere in April 2027
Solo | Full Band | Trio
https://johnmayer.com/

Might have to look into this one. Where The Light Is is a all time live album in my book




The Sphere should display a slide show of all his girlfriends. It's a pretty impressive list.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, the folks who are into Slipknot are way into them. Looking at those dates, I'm sure it will be a regional draw with lots of fans traveling in.
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
APC out again


https://www.aperfectcircle.com/#tour



with Puscifer
April 13 to 25
with Cult
April 27 to June 13
New song "To Whom It May Concern" out now.
-
September 30 at 10AM local through October 1 at 10PM local
- :
-
October 2 at 10AM local
: https://www.aperfectcircle.com/#tour
April 13 Vancouver, BC Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
April 15 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome
April 17 Edmonton, AB Rogers Place
April 19 Winnipeg, MB Canada Life Centre
April 22 Niagara Falls, ON OLG Stage at Fallsview Casino
April 23 Niagara Falls, ON OLG Stage at Fallsview Casino
April 25 Detroit, MI Fox Theatre
April 27 Boston, MA MGM Music Hall at Fenway
April 28 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
April 30 Camden, NJ Freedom Mortgage Pavilion
May 1 Newark, NJ Prudential Center
May 4 Charlotte, NC Truliant Amphitheater
May 5 Duluth, GA Gas South Arena
May 7 Houston, TX The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
May 8 Grand Prairie, TX Texas Trust CU Theatre
May 15 Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena
May 17 St. Louis, MO Chaifetz Arena
May 19 Louisville, KY Venue TBA
May 20 Cuyahoga Falls, OH Blossom Music Center
May 22 Chicago, IL Wintrust Arena
May 23 Shakopee, MN Mystic Lake Amphitheater
May 27 Denver, CO Red Rocks Amphitheatre
May 28 Salt Lake City, UT Maverik Center
May 30 Seattle, WA Climate Pledge Arena
June 1 Portland, OR Veterans Memorial Coliseum
June 3 Reno, NV Grand Theatre at Grand Sierra Resort
June 4 Daly City, CA Cow Palace Arena
June 6 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl
June 8 Chula Vista, CA North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre
June 10 Las Vegas, NV Fontainebleau Las Vegas
June 11 Las Vegas, NV Fontainebleau Las Vegas
June 13 Phoenix, AZ Talking Stick Resort Amphitheatre
First Page Refresh
Page 122 of 122 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.