*** The Concert Thread ***

219,598 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 62strat
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Styx and Foreigner were incredible as usual in New Hampshire. Plus it was nice going to a summer outdoor show under 80 degrees! Pretty cool venue.

Tomorrow is Journey and DL at Wrigley. (Oops Fenway)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cajunaggie08
AG
Btron said:

Who are The Mavericks? Probably why they might cancel. That looks to be a huge venue
I remember my parents got really into them in the early to mid 90s. I remember going to the Houston Rodeo to see them so they were at least kinda big then. I hadn't really thought about them since then. I'm shocked they or their agent thought they could play a venue as large as Smart Financial Center in 2024
JYDog90
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Btron said:

Who are The Mavericks? Probably why they might cancel. That looks to be a huge venue
I remember my parents got really into them in the early to mid 90s. I remember going to the Houston Rodeo to see them so they were at least kinda big then. I hadn't really thought about them since then. I'm shocked they or their agent thought they could play a venue as large as Smart Financial Center in 2024

I saw them in Beaumont at the theatre downtown. They typically play 2500 seat places.
Formerly Willy Wonka
62strat
AG
JYDog90 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Btron said:

I saw them in Beaumont at the theatre downtown. They typically play 2500 seat places.
yeh looking at setlist.fm
in texas they typically play acl live, house of blues, majestic theater, gruene hall.. all under 2k venues.

however they do have billy bob's on there quite a bit, and google says that is 6k.
Aggie87
AG
KidDoc said:

Styx and Foreigner were incredible as usual in New Hampshire. Plus it was nice going to a summer outdoor show under 80 degrees! Pretty cool venue.

Tomorrow is Journey and DL at Wrigley.

If you show up at Wrigley tonight you're going to be disappointed. They're playing at Fenway.
KidDoc
AG
Aggie87 said:

KidDoc said:

Tomorrow is Journey and DL at Wrigley.

If you show up at Wrigley tonight you're going to be disappointed. They're playing at Fenway.

Yeah I fixed it. I've never been to either do get them mixed up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Fenway is great. Caught a game there last year.
Ag MD 84
AG
Saw Billy Joel at Fenway 3 years ago and Bruce Springsteen at Wrigley last year---both were great concerts/experiences!
BCSWguru
so how was it? I read Joe was a little under the weather. Was it bad?
TXAG 05
AG
Sazerac said:

Thanks for ruining my night by informing me that Morgan Waller covered Cover Me Up. Just listened. No authenticity.

Reminds me of my brother in law listening to some abomination of Fast Car, me asking if he had heard Tracy Chapmans original version, and him responding "this is a cover?" JFC

How is it an abomination? Other than the singer's voice, it's exactly the same as the original. He did nothing to make it his own.
62strat
AG
Echoes97 said:

Saw Megadeth last night w Digging Tunnels at 713, and holy hell do those dudes still kick ass. I know not everyone is a fan, but theres no denying the absolute badassery they put on display after all these years. Packed house too, though in typical Houston fashion not the most enthusiastic crowd. Sound was awesome as well.

do you remember start times for each band?
Echoes97
AG
62strat said:

Echoes97 said:

Saw Megadeth last night w Digging Tunnels at 713, and holy hell do those dudes still kick ass. I know not everyone is a fan, but theres no denying the absolute badassery they put on display after all these years. Packed house too, though in typical Houston fashion not the most enthusiastic crowd. Sound was awesome as well.

Hey man, we only showed up for Megadeth, who started around 9:15. I think All That Remains started quite early, maybe 7ish, but again not certain. Enjoy! \m/
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Echoes97 said:

62strat said:

Echoes97 said:

Hey man, we only showed up for Megadeth, who started around 9:15. I think All That Remains started quite early, maybe 7ish, but again not certain. Enjoy! \m/

All that Remains - 6:30 (we weren't there for it but that was scheduled)

Mudvayne 7:30-8:30

Megadeth 9:05 - 10:40 (plus or minus) Thin Lizzy's "Cold Sweat" started at 9 and Megadeth came on immediately after.
JYDog90
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Sazerac said:

Thanks for ruining my night by informing me that Morgan Waller covered Cover Me Up. Just listened. No authenticity.

Reminds me of my brother in law listening to some abomination of Fast Car, me asking if he had heard Tracy Chapmans original version, and him responding "this is a cover?" JFC

How is it an abomination? Other than the singer's voice, it's exactly the same as the original. He did nothing to make it his own.

I think it's more of the fact that Fast Car is an iconic song for a generation and the fact that he's got a B-I-L that didn't know it was a cover just leaves him shaking his head.
Formerly Willy Wonka
KidDoc
AG
BCSWguru said:

so how was it? I read Joe was a little under the weather. Was it bad?

His mid range was ok but struggled with hi stuff. Luckily they truncated 2 steps behind and the rest of the Band did great backing him up. Was a great show overall. Steve Miller isn't much different than when I saw him over 30 years ago!
thenational
AG
Can you help me understand you this works? You take a pic on your phone of the tickets for sale, but don't actually purchase? I'd like to try this next week, but need to know how so I don't get hosed..

Thanks..
Proposition Joe
It's one thing to move down to empty seats halfway into an event.

It's another thing to move down to empty seats, even avoiding an usher, and move when other people get there.

In both of those scenarios you're taking something that you didn't pay for, but... meh, who cares. (Though you are literally taking money out of the artists pocket).

But it's another thing to move down to seats with fake "proof" to show an usher, and then tell people who show up saying it's their seats to "prove it". That crosses the line to jackass in my book.
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It's one thing to move down to empty seats halfway into an event.

It's another thing to move down to empty seats, even avoiding an usher, and move when other people get there.

In both of those scenarios you're taking something that you didn't pay for, but... meh, who cares. (Though you are literally taking money out of the artists pocket).

But it's another thing to move down to seats with fake "proof" to show an usher, and then tell people who show up saying it's their seats to "prove it". That crosses the line to jackass in my book.
yeh if I went down to presumably unsold seats and someone was already sitting there, I wouldn't say a thing and I'd move onto another spot.
Def a different type of person who walks up and says we're in their spot when they are pulling the same stunt I already did before them.

In my experience, ushers only typically verify for floor/pit areas. Seating isn't controlled as tightly, and they are typically just there to assist people in finding their seats, and possibly ask someone to move if another person tells them there is someone in their seats.
62strat
AG
thenational said:

Can you help me understand you this works? You take a pic on your phone of the tickets for sale, but don't actually purchase? I'd like to try this next week, but need to know how so I don't get hosed..

Thanks..

Pit them in your cart then screenshot. Depending on the platform (I did axs I think), the cart shows the section/row/seat.

I did it again on Tuesday at megadeth. Huge chunks of unsold seats in lower level.
I didn't show anybody anything, this time I just screenshotted the available seats so when I got down there I knew which ones they were.
The row I sat in was 90% empty the whole show. Row 4, closest section to the stage (arena end stage setup)

'Taking from the artist'
Debatable. I paid to get in.
Now I'm just filling an empty close seat which makes them feel better, right?
You think an artist wants to see a bunch of empty seats up close?
Hard to put a value on that I suppose.

Also some of these available seats are 'verified reseller', so someone paid for it. Those are riskier since someone could show up.

Is it also taking from the artist if I don't by the tshirt at the concert for $40, instead paying $15-$20 online somewhere else?
cc10106
$40 because venues take a percentage from artists' merch sales.
62strat
AG
cc10106 said:

$40 because venues take a percentage from artists' merch sales.
they take a large chunk of the seat sales too
Proposition Joe
62strat said:

thenational said:

Thanks..

'Taking from the artist'

Also some of these available seats are 'verified reseller', so someone paid for it. Those are riskier since someone could show up.

You're using something you didn't pay for, and absolutely impacting revenue on the tour. Kind of silly to try and justify it. It's like pirating an MP3 back in the day. It's not "buying a tour t-shirt on ebay", it's "paying for a tour sticker then helping yourself to a t-shirt because there's a ton of them and they obviously aren't selling". It's not a victimless crime.

Now, is it that significant in the grand scheme of things? No. For the most part people don't have a problem with it happening (me included). But I do think if you're constantly forcing people who paid for seats to ask you to move it's pushing into the "inconsiderate zone"... Some people who actually paid for the seats don't want to have to deal with confronting random people (especially those socially awkward).

If you're asking someone who says "hey, you're in my seats" to show them proof you are in their seats -- knowing that they absolutely aren't your seats. I think that's just being a jackass.

For anyone who has had A&M season tickets before... asking someone to move out of your seats once or twice isn't a big deal. By the 10th time you get a little sick of it.
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

thenational said:

Thanks..

'Taking from the artist'

But I do think if you're constantly forcing people who paid for seats to ask you to move it's pushing into the "inconsiderate zone"... Some people who actually paid for the seats don't want to have to deal with confronting random people (especially those socially awkward).

If you're asking someone who says "hey, you're in my seats" to show them proof you are in their seats -- knowing that they absolutely aren't your seats. I think that's just being a jackass.

maybe there was a disconnect in my explanation, but I'm finding seats that are still for sale online at axs or tm.com, right up until they cut the sales off online which appears to be a few hours after doors open. So I'm not in anyone's seat. I'm in an unsold seat. I'm not just looking for empty seats with my eyes while in the venue, and randomly picking one. That method could easily land you in someone's legit seat.

Caveat, if you do this with a 'verified resale ticket' spot online, then either it's a scalper who isn't showing up, or it's a person trying to sell their tickets, and they very well may show up and just attend the show since they didn't sell. In that instance, you are forcing someone to confront you about being in their seat.

I look for unsold seats. So by picking an unsold seat, I'm 100% confident no one is coming to legitimately claim that seat. And if they attempt to do so (like the women at the bush show), my confidence affords me to put the burden of proof on them. It doesn't make me a jackass. They were the jackass first for trying to kick me out of a seat they didn't pay for.

I'm simply reciprocating the jackassery because I know what's going on; I'm doing the same thing. I just did it before them!

to illustrate;
Incubus at ball arena coming up here in a month. I actually bought a decent ticket, just off screen on bottom left in the curved section.
But, day of, I will hop on ticketmaster.com and see what's left. Here is what it looks like now;

I can easily distinguish between the unsold (blue) and the sold but for resale (red). Red is risky, as the initial buyer could easily show up for the show.
But any blue seat, at 7pmish on show day, has not been purchased, so I can sit in one and know I'm not taking anyone's seat.

Phrasing
AG
My son and I are going to I Prevail and Halestorm on Saturday in the Woodlands. He's a big metal head and is really looking forward to it. It's a little heavy for me (Metallica is more my speed), but excited to see them as he's been playing a lot of their songs for me in the car and I feel like I know a lot of their stuff now.

Has anyone seen them in the past? Just curious how they are and if the openers (Fit for a King and Hollywood Undead) are worth getting there early for? Thanks!
maroon barchetta
Friend of a friend has two tickets to Def Leppard/Journey/Steve Miller at Minute Maid in Houston next week.

Section 309

$60 for the pair (he won them on the radio).

How bad are those seats, how is the sound for a concert there, and does the view matter since it's probably going to be people watching on big screens most of the show anyway?
mm98
AG
We saw Motley Crue there in 2022 and we were 410 I think. Very last row.

Yes you're watching the screen the whole time.

Sound wasn't good for us but again we were along the back wall.
07ag
AG
went to Bratislava a few weeks ago to see AC/DC, they're definitely old, but from where i was standing, they sounded great

https://ts.la/eric59704
KidDoc
AG
07ag said:

went to Bratislava a few weeks ago to see AC/DC, they're definitely old, but from where i was standing, they sounded great

How was the opener- The Pretty Reckless?

I saw AC/DC at Power Trip and they sounded really great!
07ag
AG
KidDoc said:

07ag said:

How was the opener- The Pretty Reckless?

I saw AC/DC at Power Trip and they sounded really great!
meh, i wasn't a fan
https://ts.la/eric59704
TP Ag '87
AG
Heading to Indy for Creed/3 Doors Down/Finger 11 with my oldest daughter.

Should be a LITTLE different than Forrest Frank last night with oldest daughter in law. I'd never heard of him. Not my cup of tea but appreciated the audience passion.
maroon barchetta
TP Ag '87 said:

Heading to Indy for Creed/3 Doors Down/Finger 11 with my oldest daughter.

Should be a LITTLE different than Forrest Frank last night with oldest daughter in law. I'd never heard of him. Not my cup of tea but appreciated the audience passion.

Is he related to Randy of the Redwoods?
62strat
AG
seeing some Houston hometown boys tonight, blue October.

Lots of Texas apparel in the crowd. Rangers, Tech, astros.

Switchfoot opening.
jh0400
AG
We saw Luke Combs at NRG on Friday. Agreed to go, because I've wanted to see Charles Wesley Godwin for a while, and Cody Jinks always puts on a good show. The sound quality at NRG is never great, but the mix was surprisingly bad. All of the vocals sounded mumbled. Very different than the experience a few weeks ago at JI400U & Zach Bryan.
spadilly
S
I heard Cal came out and shotgunned a beer with Luke.
Wicked Good Ag
maroon barchetta said:

Friend of a friend has two tickets to Def Leppard/Journey/Steve Miller at Minute Maid in Houston next week.

Section 309

$60 for the pair (he won them on the radio).

How bad are those seats, how is the sound for a concert there, and does the view matter since it's probably going to be people watching on big screens most of the show anyway?
The sound isnt ideal and yes you will be looking at rhe big screen but for those prices you should pull the trigger or let me know who your friend is

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.