*** The Concert Thread ***

219,211 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 62strat
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Lindsey Stirling show last night. My wife is a fan.

She's unique. Very talented. Not my style of music but she puts on a great show.

The opener was quirky and talented and they did a Beatles medley that used probably 30 of their songs in it.

I love her rock stuff. Very gifted musician
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jh0400
AG
Zach Bryan put on a great show tonight at NRG.
Ags-R-Better
Zach Bryan did great, he puts on a really good show. I hope his vocal cords can hold out though….that guy whales.
WES2006AG
AG
Saw Springsteen close the European part of the tour in London last night. Wembley was absolutely rocking and it's always amazing to see a 74 year old play a full 3 hour set.
spadilly
S
jetch17 said:

I'm highly considering going to Dia de Los Deftones at Petco Park in San Diego in November … seemingly have the wife on board for a weekend in SD

I saw Yellowcard and Anberlin at Petco (well, the small stage outside the field) last year. I freaking love that ballpark and city.
Sazerac
AG
Zach Bryan was great.
I was shocked at the crowd though, skewed way younger than I thought. And almost no one there knew Jason Isbell !

I know that bro pop country stuff is very popular, but don't understand how Zach attracts that same crowd.
jh0400
AG
His crowds skew young. It was the same way the the Toyota Center last year.

ETA: the sound quality was actually pretty good last night which was a surprise.
62strat
AG
Sazerac said:

Zach Bryan was great.
I was shocked at the crowd though, skewed way younger than I thought. And almost no one there knew Jason Isbell !

I know that bro pop country stuff is very popular, but don't understand how Zach attracts that same crowd.
i don't even know who this is, only heard the name, and honestly just the name oozes bro country.

tommyjohn
Jason Isbell and 400 Unit were fantastic in the opener slot for Zach Bryan.

Crowd skewed young like you said so not surprised many people didn't know them.
jetch17
AG
Ive never seen so many people on FB etc have giant Zach Bryan boners for the show in Houston than I saw yesterday
Sazerac
AG
He always sounds great. Has to be hard being a middle act at this point in his career. He played almost all from the last 3 albums, only about 4-5 "hits". He should have done Cover Me Up earlier so folks would have identified him and maybe paid more attention.

His guitarist from South Carolina is such a bad ass. But brutal as a front man, and Isbell let him prove it in front of 50k…
JP76
It was just 2 different dynamics when one singer is pushing 50 and the other is pushing 30. I did not know who isbell was and I am older than him but not a big country fan. Regardless it was a good show that was put on.
Goldie Wilson
Sazerac said:

He always sounds great. Has to be hard being a middle act at this point in his career. He played almost all from the last 3 albums, only about 4-5 "hits". He should have done Cover Me Up earlier so folks would have identified him and maybe paid more attention.

His guitarist from South Carolina is such a bad ass. But brutal as a front man, and Isbell let him prove it in front of 50k…
Ive seen Isbell a handful of times but always in smaller venues, and they've all been awesome. Just seems like one of those acts that doesn't translate well to the arena/stadium shows.
Sazerac
AG
Sure of course. I just meant it must be strange to even take that gig.

Even Zack commented that's it's crazy to be following Isbell.
Jim01
AG
Isbell killed it as always. Simply the best. All the songs from Weathervane sounded great.

I've become a Zach Bryan fan over the last year or so. I initially wrote him off a few years ago when I first heard his name. I listened to his first two albums which are pretty much just him and his acoustic guitar. They were ok but the song writing wasn't quite up to holding my attention for 15 tracks of just him and a guitar. But my 15 year old daughter loves him so I got his self titled album the day it came out and really dug it. His newest one is really good too. He's really found a good balance in having production and a full band sound while still maintaining rawness. He is in no way bro country. He is much more akin to folk and Americana, with a touch of Springsteen. It gives me some faith for the youth that a dude like that who plays from the heart with relatively zero radio support has managed such a following.

My daughter has also started listening to Tyler Childers. Last night during "Cover Me Up" she freaked because she loves that song but didn't know it was his. She isn't a fan of bro country or Morgan Wallen but loves that song and after Isbell finished said "wow! I like his version so much better!!!" So far I've held off on introducing her to Isbell too much. I don't want her to stumble upon "Elephant" or "If We Were Vampires" and be emotionally destroyed at such a young age, but it might be time.
Sazerac
AG
Thanks for ruining my night by informing me that Morgan Waller covered Cover Me Up. Just listened. No authenticity.

Reminds me of my brother in law listening to some abomination of Fast Car, me asking if he had heard Tracy Chapmans original version, and him responding "this is a cover?" JFC
Jim01
AG
Yeah it's on one of his big albums. When he got in a scandal for dropping the N bomb Isbell announced he was donating all his royalties from that Wallen album to a handful of black charities. Classic Isbell. Love him.
Btron
AG
I was very entertained, it was very loud, I felt very old, but would go see him in a heartbeat again. I was already looking for tickets in SA this week. I love that he can pull in the old and younger crowds. I think everyone values an honest songwriter. ZB does such a good job of creating an emotional connection to all the "characters" in his songs. I think that is why he's so popular. I also think that everyone, including the youth, needs and wants good songwriting. And for the last decade-plus, country and Americana have been given BS, bro-country. Whoever said it above, ZB is more Springsteen than Nashville. As he matures, I can see him going more that way than the other. My only grip is until Revival, I didn't feel his band and he has the musical chops to keep up with Springsteen, Isbell, Tyler C, etc. They still felt a bit amateur in their musical abilities. But very small grip.

But man, he is a great songwriter, the more I listen, the more his songs add more life, and perspective and I hear something new each time. For me, that is the making of a good song and a good songwriter.

Who was the dude in the green shirt during Revival? He seemed to be the only non-band member up there.

Any on the GA floor section. Were there that many people passing out or was that a bit to slow down the show, extend songs, or have the sound guys fix something? Or just ZB being cautious while in Houston?
62strat
AG
megadeth plays houston at a 5k capacity venue, then in denver ball arena? end stage is probably what 12k or so?

Too big of a venue for them, and it shows. Concert is next week.. Lower levels are only $50-$70 too, not much in today's market.

I got my $25 upper level ticket.. be nice if they offered an upgrade
jh0400
AG
Btron said:

Any on the GA floor section. Were there that many people passing out or was that a bit to slow down the show, extend songs, or have the sound guys fix something? Or just ZB being cautious while in Houston?

I attributed it to kids who were drinking all day and had a hard time holding their liquor.
62strat
AG
little 90s throwback last night; candlebox, jerry cantrell (played 4 AIC songs) and bush.

I used my trick of finding seats still for sale after we got in; found some in front center section 6th row. I added them to my cart (had to do all 3 since it wouldn't let me leave a single) and took a screenshot, in case the aisle guy wanted to see something. However, I just walked right by him, he didn't try and stop me. We had a great view! Just a few minutes later, I look again and see tickets were no longer for sale.. about 90 minutes after door opened. So I'm thinking, good, no one else can buy these at this point.

about 15 minutes after we sit, 3 ladies came up and were looking at their phones, looking at us.. they said these are our seats.. I said, confidently, no they're not. She shows me her phone. It's a screenshot of the tickets in her cart lol
I said, yeh, I have the same picture on my phone and show her!

She's like oh damn were you looking online for empty seats too? yep.
Turns out, apparently the next couple of adjacent seats showed up as well on hers, so they just sat next to us. Them and my wife kind of laugh off the coincidence of both us trying this little hack.

I **** you not, 10 minutes later, another group of 3 come up.. 'these are our seats!'
The first group of ladies that came, they responded, 'no they're not, these are ours'. One of the women was getting a little angry, she's like "no these are mine, show me your tickets, I'm going to go get the aisle person, these are our seats." We mostly ignored them. We clearly know what's going on here. We're doing the same damn thing, but we were quicker.

This angry lady walked up to top of aisle, and gave a death stare for a few minutes, then we never heard from her again.

cc10106
Sorry, angry lady:

cc10106
I'm not big on festivals these days, but I'm making an exception for one day at Bourbon & Beyond in Louisville next month:

Dinosaur Jr.
Sunny Day Real Estate*
My Morning Jacket
The National
The Beach Boys*
The War On Drugs
Tyler Childers*
Futurebirds

* = first time seeing live
Goldie Wilson
cc10106 said:

I'm not big on festivals these days, but I'm making an exception for one day at Bourbon & Beyond in Louisville next month:

Dinosaur Jr.
Sunny Day Real Estate*
My Morning Jacket
The National
The Beach Boys*
The War On Drugs
Tyler Childers*
Futurebirds

* = first time seeing live
We''ll be there too with a small group. First time at B&B, but was too many names on the lineup to pass up
cc10106
Bummer for those that wanted to see Neil & Crazy Horse and are now getting Sting instead. Oof.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I went to the Zach Bryan concert at the NRG last Saturday with 3 friends. Jason Isbell and 400 Unit provided an excellent opener for Zach Bryan.
JYDog90
AG
I'm a little concerned that The Mavericks may cancel their Sugar Land show in September.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Counterpoint
AG
62strat said:

little 90s throwback last night; candlebox, jerry cantrell (played 4 AIC songs) and bush.

I used my trick of finding seats still for sale after we got in; found some in front center section 6th row. I added them to my cart (had to do all 3 since it wouldn't let me leave a single) and took a screenshot, in case the aisle guy wanted to see something. However, I just walked right by him, he didn't try and stop me. We had a great view! Just a few minutes later, I look again and see tickets were no longer for sale.. about 90 minutes after door opened. So I'm thinking, good, no one else can buy these at this point.

about 15 minutes after we sit, 3 ladies came up and were looking at their phones, looking at us.. they said these are our seats.. I said, confidently, no they're not. She shows me her phone. It's a screenshot of the tickets in her cart lol
I said, yeh, I have the same picture on my phone and show her!

She's like oh damn were you looking online for empty seats too? yep.
Turns out, apparently the next couple of adjacent seats showed up as well on hers, so they just sat next to us. Them and my wife kind of laugh off the coincidence of both us trying this little hack.

I **** you not, 10 minutes later, another group of 3 come up.. 'these are our seats!'
The first group of ladies that came, they responded, 'no they're not, these are ours'. One of the women was getting a little angry, she's like "no these are mine, show me your tickets, I'm going to go get the aisle person, these are our seats." We mostly ignored them. We clearly know what's going on here. We're doing the same damn thing, but we were quicker.

This angry lady walked up to top of aisle, and gave a death stare for a few minutes, then we never heard from her again.

This is hilarious. Glad you didn't back down, and thanks for sticking it to Ticketmaster.
Btron
AG
Who are The Mavericks? Probably why they might cancel. That looks to be a huge venue
maroon barchetta
Btron said:

Who are The Mavericks? Probably why they might cancel. That looks to be a huge venue

I wouldn't know they existed unless I read TexAgs. Never heard of them.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Btron said:

I wouldn't know they existed unless I read TexAgs. Never heard of them.
ok I'm a metalhead and generally not a country music listener and I know who the mavericks are.

Dance the night away
What a crying shame
I should have been true

Echoes97
AG
Saw Megadeth last night w Digging Tunnels at 713, and holy hell do those dudes still kick ass. I know not everyone is a fan, but theres no denying the absolute badassery they put on display after all these years. Packed house too, though in typical Houston fashion not the most enthusiastic crowd. Sound was awesome as well.

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
mm98
AG
They were my first concert at the Sam Houston Colosseum

Glad to hear they're doing well
62strat
AG
Echoes97 said:

Saw Megadeth last night w Digging Tunnels at 713, and holy hell do those dudes still kick ass. I know not everyone is a fan, but theres no denying the absolute badassery they put on display after all these years. Packed house too, though in typical Houston fashion not the most enthusiastic crowd. Sound was awesome as well.

was his voice actually good?
From what I've seen recently, he kinda sounds terrible.

I'm going on Tuesday in denver.

Also helps ol dave to have some 30 and 40 year olds in the band.

think if James went out on tour with a young lead guitar player and drummer! I'm sure they'd sound tighter.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
62strat said:

Echoes97 said:

was his voice actually good?
From what I've seen recently, he kinda sounds terrible.

I'm going on Tuesday in denver.

Also helps ol dave to have some 30 and 40 year olds in the band.

think if James went out on tour with a young lead guitar player and drummer! I'm sure they'd sound tighter.

Went last night as well. Dave sounded great. I was a little worried going in knowing he has had some voice problems and they played a show Friday night. No problems as far as I could tell. It was a packed venue. My 15 year old thought it was great, too. She's just now getting in to Megadeth and was looking forward to the show. She was not disappointed.

Hope you have a great time in Denver!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.