*** The Concert Thread ***

219,539 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Echoes97 said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

I need to give this band more attention. Should be right up my alley. Have only listened to small samples. But the appeal is clearly huge (and by folks who's taste in music I respect)
In their world, there is Oldpeth, and newpeth.

Oldpeth is first 8 albums or so, still tons of variety with jazz, folk, progressive, but still metal (although damnation is an entire album that is chill).

Newpeth is still all of those things, but with one thing that hasn't shown its face since 2008.. death metal vocals.

So it's overwhelming to be diving into them at this point... start with.. ahh hell let me think about it.
And for whats it's worth I'm very wide and eclectic on taste. I range from The National and Gegory Alan Isokov to Meshuggah, Napalm Death, Carcass ( and lots in between).
oh hell you like meshuggah and carcass, so you'd have no problem liking oldpeth. Most Non metalheads can't take that kind of vocal.

Start with ghost reveries then. Set aside an hour, Track 1 and hit play. That album encapsulates everything opeth can be to perfection, in my opinion. It has beauty, darkness, heavy, jazz, 70s prog rock, catchy, chill.. it has everything in that hour.

Then explore the other albums of the 2000s. That is pretty unanimously their peak decade.
Blackwater park through watershed.
This is great advice for getting into Opeth, BP to Watershed is absolute PEAK songwriting for them. I love their older stuff too, and still listen to it regularly, but once they hit BP it was like when Pink Floyd hit DSOTM. Every one of the albums from that period is absolutely incredible IMO. So many layers, textures, and nuances to the songs, doesn't get much better than them in metal (again, IMO).
After my first swim through quite like it. As you mentioned tons of layers via change in time signatures, multiple genre influences, and vocals. I hear so many eclectic influences (standouts for me where Tool, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Lamb of God). Going to keep going...
then you'll hit track 4 and 6 and be like… ok where tf did this influence come from?!
aggiechick
Late to post but saw Adam Ant and English Beat in Dallas. Very entertaining on both bands. Hard to believe Adam Ant is almost 70.

Also saw Olivia Rodrigo in New Orleans. Such a fun show! Full of energy. I was the oldest person there by far. Lots of kids and Hot Topic clothes. She had great stage presence and connected with the sold out crowd at every turn.

Headed to Set It Off on Thursday in Dallas. Will report back if anybody cares.

jorgerr96

Bought tickets for Megadeth and Russel Crowe at Stubbs.
JYDog90
AG
I have two extra tickets in section 305 for The Rolling Stones on Sunday night at NRG. These are not the obstructed views. $250/each which is what I've got in them. You'll be sitting next to me and a buddy.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Out in Left Field
AG
My mid to late 2000s punk-pop/emo self is loving seeing Alkaline Trio & Bayside in the past month.

My early 2000s hard rock self can't wait for Creed & 3 Doors Down later this year.
spadilly
S
My high school emo self is pumped about this one coming to Katy:

jorgerr96

Good show last night, Beast of Burden won the vote! I will say the mix was very weird, I felt like the guitars weren't as loud this time. Keith does seem to slow down imo. Mick still an incredible showman. Caught Ronnie's pick he used for Paint It Black
JYDog90
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Good show last night, Beast of Burden won the vote! I will say the mix was very weird, I felt like the guitars weren't as loud this time. Keith does seem to slow down imo. Mick still an incredible showman. Caught Ronnie's pick he used for Paint It Black

Dude, you're like Forrest Gump. You're right in the middle of it every single time. Gotta hand it to you.
Formerly Willy Wonka
maroon barchetta
The rest of us are seriously doing it wrong.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

don't think it's happening without effort lol.

You want rail at a show like that, you camp out for a day or whatever.
maroon barchetta
62strat said:

maroon barchetta said:

I know there is effort. Just not the kind I have. And I don't have the vacation days to do it.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

62strat said:

maroon barchetta said:

I know there is effort. Just not the kind I have. And I don't have the vacation days to do it.
yeh my younger days were full of that effort.. not anymore! If I want to be close, I'll buy a close seat. I don't even like waiting in line to get in anymore.. so even if a GA ticket, I'm showing up after the opening band and walking right in!
62strat
AG
if Metallica and Swift can do a theater concert.. so can Ghost!

Ronnie Woodard
AG
62strat said:

if Metallica and Swift can do a theater concert.. so can Ghost!

Can't wait for this. Papa IV's last stand?!
rhutton125
AG
Foo in Dallas
Know Your Enemy
AG
rhutton125 said:

Foo in Dallas

Fun show. The crowd was insane.
Candiru
AG
8-10:45pm. Solid night of rock. How Dave's voice holds up is a mystery!
Sq1dvm
AG
rhutton125 said:

Foo in Dallas

One of the best shows I've been to in a long time. Great setlist.
Proposition Joe
It's crazy how much the weather can impact things. I don't go to Dos Equis a lot, but that was one of the first shows in a long time that the weather just made the entire experience pleasant.
62strat
AG
anybody hitting up any of the sleep token shows in TX?

Apparently the word isn't out down there yet!

Peter Klaven
AG
Have you seen them live? Any idea if they put on a hell of a show?
Wicked Good Ag
Live Nation concert week coming up soon
DannyDuberstein
AG
Was at FF last night. So great. Great setlist. Great crowd. Great weather. Grohl is so fun to watch. They are one of those acts where I don't care if you really care for their music all that much, don't pass up a chance to see them at least once. You will be entertained, no question.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Surprised to see multiple people say it was a great set list. There were at least 3-4 horrible song choices IMO. And while I love The Teacher I think it came off flat live. It was great to hear The Glass though. I love that song and they don't play it much. But the magical moments almost always come from the songs they play every damn show no matter what.
62strat
AG
Peter Klaven said:

Have you seen them live? Any idea if they put on a hell of a show?
yeh I saw them on their last run which was smaller clubs/theaters.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit of early ghost vibe with the costumes/masks and mysterious.
Very quiet front man/no chit chat.

They were 100% on point and sounding like the album. Really tight. And they bust into some crazy syncopated **** often.

Then you have songs that are chill and the whole crowd singing.

Those close to those Texas shows are lucky… $30-$40 is a no brainer for me.

The red rocks show sold out at time of sale and instantly all went $150+. Front seated rows are up near $1k.

Hell when I saw them it was initially at a small club and it sold out right away, then a week or two later they bumped the venue to one about 3x the size, and it sold out too.

I got a resale ticket but it was only like $75. Only $30 originally.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Surprised to see multiple people say it was a great set list. There were at least 3-4 horrible song choices IMO. And while I love The Teacher I think it came off flat live. It was great to hear The Glass though. I love that song and they don't play it much. But the magical moments almost always come from the songs they play every damn show no matter what.

Well, first time here since 2018 and 2nd in what, 15-16 years? When a band rarely visits you, getting a full dose of the hits that make the magic is appreciated. Disagree on the "horrible" 3-4, but when a band plays for 3 hours, there are usually gonna be at least 3-4 that may not float someone's boat. Agree on The Glass.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh I wasn't complaining about getting the hits at all. My issue was with Medicine At Midnight, La Dee Da, Shame Shame, and to a lesser extent Arlandria. Total vibe killers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't mean that you were complaining about the hits. I mean more the fact that FF makes sure everyone gets what they want, which is not something all bands do and can be taken for granted. So maybe on an every FF show in every city scale, it wasn't as great to you. That's fair. But on a big-time act coming to town scale, still a great setlist in my book. Vibe last night was unkillable IMO; electric out there all night
Proposition Joe
The sound ****ing up in 'Walk' was my only complaint all night. That's my jam.

That, and I guess I didn't know that Grohl doesn't actually do the end of Monkey Wrench on his own anymore, which was disappointing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At the very end of My Hero, Grohl heads back to the drums and you can see Josh Freese say "That was loud!" to him describing the crowd singing. Would be hard to imagine a bigger rush than 20k people belting your song back out at you
johnnyblaze36
AG
Charley Crockett at Longhorn Ballroom was incredible last night. Played Waylon's original 1954 telecaster. My second time at that venue in three weeks (The Disco Biscuits being the other one) and it's such a cool spot.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Charley is great. First time I saw him play was in my friend's backyard. And no, I'm not a Redstone sock. Nor is that my sock.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Charley is great. First time I saw him play was in my friend's backyard. And no, I'm not a Redstone sock. Nor is that my sock.
LOL. That's awesome.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Some great photos on his IG from last night. What a stud:

https://instagr.am/p/C6hfVgQv4JO
BTHOthatguy
AG
The Teskey Brothers were amazing last night at ACL Live. I know they aren't radio friendly but man I don't get how they aren't huge. So talented!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.