*** The Concert Thread ***

219,326 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by 62strat
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

It said 7pm but I think doors opened at 6. And from what I understand the openers went on a little before 7pm. I was expecting them at 7:25pm so I was a little late unfortunately.
We arrived at 5:59 and there was already a long line to get in. 99 degrees outside. It was my first time at that outdoor lawn at White Oak and the place was great. Was able to get up around 5th row.

I think the "Remain in Light" thing started around 6:45 and far exceeded my expectations.

Frog Brigade was incredible. Didn't realize Sean Lennon was THAT good on guitar. Unfortunately shortly after the Animals set an older friend I was with apparently got heat exhaustion and I look behind me and there are three medics attending to him and put him in a wheelchair and took him into the inside venue where I followed.

He hadn't drank a sip of alcohol and they kept asking him and his wife and me. I told them over and over he hasn't drank but that I just spent ninety dollars on 5 beers and am feeling great.

So we had to leave and miss the last couple of songs and encore. But other than that the show was phenomenal. I was glad it was outside where the crowd was all lively and standing the whole time unlike from what I heard in Dallas. Although we could have used the A/C apparently.
Rocag
AG
Saw Garbage and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds last night at Dos Equis in Dallas. Good show, but the heat and humidity were pretty awful. Tickets were only $25 a piece and I'd rather go to a concert than see a movie so it worked out well.
Jim01
AG
You better put some respect on Metric as the opener of that tour! One of my favorite bands.
Rocag
AG
Metric was great too! I didn't know they were a part of the tour and couldn't remember who they were until they played "Gold Guns Girls".
jorgerr96
I went to the show last night just for Noel. Metric was great. Garbage sucks so I left right after Noel's set, seems like a lot of people did as well. Lawn was closed so every seat was upgraded and still looked half full. They booked venues too big for these 2
maroon barchetta
Randy Jackson of Zebra can still sing all the notes and played the crap out of that 12-string, that double-neck B.C. Rich, and a Collings looking Les Paul type electric.

Older singers tend to lose that range. This guy still has a falsetto that sounds full voice and he didn't take any notes off.

Guy Gelso is an underrated drummer. That guy is excellent.

digging tunnels
AG
He looks the singer I saw last year singing with the Houston Symphony tribute to Led Zeppelin. If that's him, yes, dude can sing amazing!
maroon barchetta
It's him.

They did an excellent cover of Kashmir last night.
Proposition Joe
jorgerr96 said:

I went to the show last night just for Noel. Metric was great. Garbage sucks so I left right after Noel's set, seems like a lot of people did as well. Lawn was closed so every seat was upgraded and still looked half full. They booked venues too big for these 2

Dos Equis and a lot of these "sheds" know some of these acts aren't going to sell for ****, but they contractually have to fill out a "season" so a lot of the times you'll see some acts just get dumped there. It's especially tough now that the football and baseball stadiums are getting anyone of significant draw. Garbage/Gallagher actually far more justifiable than Morris Day and the Time they have coming up.
jorgerr96

Interesting, I do see it's the one amphitheater in Texas that offers that lawn pass that gives you access to every show of the season so that's cool if you make it to most of them to make it worth. The amphitheater in Austin has lost a lot of its booking power thanks to the Moody Center
KidDoc
AG
digging tunnels said:

He looks the singer I saw last year singing with the Houston Symphony tribute to Led Zeppelin. If that's him, yes, dude can sing amazing!
I saw that show as well and he was awesome!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Another Doug
AG
Went to the Pixies w/ Franz Ferdinand at Bayou. Place was packed and hot as hell. Opener "Bully" was a throwback to 90 girl fronted alt-rock. Never was a Franz Ferdinand fan, but they were really good performers , and I think upstaged the Pixies. Pixies we're fine, but I think the crowd was just a bunch of olds about to pass out by then. I was one of those olds, so sat in the back for the 2nd half of their set. Franz Ferdinand was the surprising highlight for me.

WES2006AG
AG
Another Doug said:

Went to the Pixies w/ Franz Ferdinand at Bayou. Place was packed and hot as hell. Opener "Bully" was a throwback to 90 girl fronted alt-rock. Never was a Franz Ferdinand fan, but they were really good performers , and I think upstaged the Pixies. Pixies we're fine, but I think the crowd was just a bunch of olds about to pass out by then. I was one of those olds, so sat in the back for the 2nd half of their set. Franz Ferdinand was the surprising highlight for me.

Was there as well. Was surprised at the energy for Franz Ferdinand. I thought Pixies sounded great but the crowd wasn't as into their set as expected.
Jim01
AG
Was there as well.

Enjoyed Bully. Indeed very 90s vibe. Almost bought her vinyl but didn't want to hold it all night.

Never been a Franz Ferdinand guy but they won me over about halfway through their set. Great energy.

Pixies we're good but out of the three times I've seen them it was my least favorite. It was an odd set list to me. Started with slow very low energy songs. You need to come out strong. Disappointed no Gigantic They always sound immaculate but the first time I saw them was also at Bayou right after they got back together and I don't think that can be topped. .

It was warm in there. Girl right next to me passed out about halfway through Pixies.
cc10106
I wanted to make that show and really like their new Pixies album but had to miss it. Saw The Smile instead at Moody Theater in Austin last weekend.
johnnyblaze36
AG
cc10106 said:

I wanted to make that show and really like their new Pixies album but had to miss it. Saw The Smile instead at Moody Theater in Austin last weekend.
How was this? I didn't even realize until Friday night that they were playing ACL Moody on Saturday and Sunday and by then it was too late to plan the trip.
jorgerr96
Saw a few shows recently, Pixies, The Smile, but saw Kid Rock as well. Resale dipped insanely hard for the show and was bored so I said why not. I will say, he has some good songs and a decent show, but he attracts a bizarre crowd. Lots of good people I could hang out with then a crowd I won't describe that just seemed trashy. Don't think I'll ever see him again but can't really say it was a bad performance
cc10106
They played Sunday and Monday in Austin, and it was good but not great overall. Loved the sound even up in the balcony, but I prefer them on record at this point compared to a live setting.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I forgot to post my Billy Moody 2 night run review. Have great photos from it. All I can say is it was phenomenal.

And just watching the Alice in Chains>Wargasm from Ohio.

Still chasing multiple covers but this is top notch. Not your average arena bluegrass band.

jorgerr96
After these last two weekends, I've decided I will very likely not buy tickets during presales anymore, unless it's a young act as they tend to have an actual demand.

I paid $160 after fees for my row 8 for Garbage and Noel G, week of the venue had 2nd row platinum for under $80 before fees. As I mentioned I went to Kid Rock because the ticket listed was $58 before fees, with the standard price during presale was $249 for that same section (probably wouldve been platinum as it was a lowel level second row next to stage), the arena also reduced those to $150 week of which I suspect is what killed resale. The Smile? Sunday show got sold out instantly they added a 2nd date, yet GA for the sunday show was $24 before fees on Stubhub day of.

Of course it's not happening with every show, but I suspect more and more shows will have this kind of resale market unlike your real stars like Taylor Swift or Metallica. Will likely buy resale day of for Stevie Nicks and Nickelback here.
jorgerr96
Blink last night! Much better finally seeing them with Tom than Matt. Lots of stage banter in between songs

https://instagr.am/p/CubKq0Crfht
Guppy91
AG
Did all 3 nights in Boulder for Dead and Co.

Night 1: Double Rainbow all 1st set! Band on fire.
Night 2: Deeper and more like "Slow n Co" but wow what a rippin China Cat -> Rider with a "They Love Each Other" set 2 opener.
Night 3: Great show… then some guy named Dave Matthews joined in for the last 4 songs! They also had a 600 unit drone show above and behind the stage on night 3. All photos are mine except for the drone images… was too close to stage ;-).

Wish we had played CU in football here [edit: in 2021!]… what a beautiful place.

maroon barchetta
We played CU in 1995 at Boulder.

Be glad you missed it.
Guppy91
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Be glad you missed it.

Touche! Spent '95 travel bucks on Vegas Dead (Dave Matthews opened all 3 shows fwiw - full circle). Baton Rouge destroyed my road game travel dreams way back when.
StinkyPinky
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Saw a few shows recently, Pixies, The Smile, but saw Kid Rock as well. Resale dipped insanely hard for the show and was bored so I said why not. I will say, he has some good songs and a decent show, but he attracts a bizarre crowd. Lots of good people I could hang out with then a crowd I won't describe that just seemed trashy. Don't think I'll ever see him again but can't really say it was a bad performance

Pixies and The Smile? We should be best friends.
StinkyPinky
AG
Jim01 said:

Was there as well.

Enjoyed Bully. Indeed very 90s vibe. Almost bought her vinyl but didn't want to hold it all night.

Never been a Franz Ferdinand guy but they won me over about halfway through their set. Great energy.

Pixies we're good but out of the three times I've seen them it was my least favorite. It was an odd set list to me. Started with slow very low energy songs. You need to come out strong. Disappointed no Gigantic They always sound immaculate but the first time I saw them was also at Bayou right after they got back together and I don't think that can be topped. .

It was warm in there. Girl right next to me passed out about halfway through Pixies.

I've seen the The Pixies three times. Best show by far was in 1991 in Austin (Death To The Pixies Tour).
johnnyblaze36
AG
So freaking jealous. Tried to make it but couldn't. My cousin was there and called it "the perfect weekend". Another friend of mine said night 3 was an all time show for her. I streamed that one live. What a scene.

Watched the last two nights from the Gorge and they were good, night 2 much better than the first imo. But looked like it didn't hold a candle to Boulder...and that's at the Gorge of all places.

I'm looking forward to another Playing in the Sand cash grab after this "final tour" that I can be all over.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Guppy91 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Be glad you missed it.

Touche! Spent '95 travel bucks on Vegas Dead (Dave Matthews opened all 3 shows fwiw - full circle). Baton Rouge destroyed my road game travel dreams way back when.
62strat
AG
Power trip news;

https://instagr.am/p/CuhkCAvxazX
KidDoc
AG
62strat said:

Power trip news;

I saw this earlier and, even though I enjoy Ozzy's library, he just cannot perform well. I saw him a few years ago and it was not good.

I hope they pick up a similar band like Aerosmith, Judas, Whitespace, scorpions and not someone like slipknot or some other scream o garbage.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Eagles with Steely Dan go on sale today

How bad will those prices be?
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Chappelle last night at Moody. Two of the four comics were hilarious. Could've done without the other two and DJ PeeWee. Basically just filler. Some recycled jokes, but Dave was on point. First time I've had my phone confiscated!
Aust Ag
AG
KidDoc said:

62strat said:

Power trip news;

I saw this earlier and, even though I enjoy Ozzy's library, he just cannot perform well. I saw him a few years ago and it was not good.

I hope they pick up a similar band like Aerosmith, Judas, Whitespace, scorpions and not someone like slipknot or some other scream o garbage.

It's Priest.
Aust Ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Eagles with Steely Dan go on sale today

How bad will those prices be?

Let me guess…another "final" tour? A night of exact reproductions of the original songs? Pass.
62strat
AG
Dp

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.