*** The Concert Thread ***

219,286 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 62strat
NC Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw Zach Bryan (Houston) Friday night - he and his band were excellent. Randy Rodgers was Saturday night (Columbus) an they were solid as always.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
DMB in Rogers, AR last night. Usually hit the Dallas show but had a conflict this past Saturday. Up here for work so snagged a last minute lawn seat. Nice venue, perfect weather and I enjoyed the new album music live. Nice way to spend a Tuesday night!
Bunk Moreland
Looks like Rogers got a combo of Houston/Dallas set.

I enjoyed a couple of the new songs live as well.
WES2006AG
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

The Strokes/RHCP last night at the Alamodome. Good stuff overall, but wish The Strokes had a longer set. Kiedes doesn't age.
Do you know roughly what time The Strokes came on? Going tomorrow and I am always bad at guessing what time these concerts actually start.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Looks like Rogers got a combo of Houston/Dallas set.

I enjoyed a couple of the new songs live as well.

Looks like it. Would have swapped out VITR for #41 or Lie in our Graves if it were up to me, but overall a really good show. Band sounded great.
ceatm07
Same here. Looking to find out when we should arrive.
WES2006AG
AG
The consensus online looks like The Strokes should start around 7:30 and RHCP a little before 9.
cc10106
Thundercat at 6:30 as well. Looking forward to crossing them and The Strokes off my list finally.
CFTXAG10
AG
I am pretty friggin stoked to see The Strokes. I bought tix to see them at Smart Financial when the last album dropped but the pandy made sure that didn't happen. Been waiting a long time for them to reschedule a trip to Houston. Tonight should be an awesome show!
cr0wbar
AG
Thundercat / Strokes / Chili Peppers tonight at MMP.

See yall there
johnnyblaze36
AG
For anybody considering any of the Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade shows in which they will be playing "Animals" in its entierty (among other songs), you may want to check this out from last night. The "Animals" portion sounds amazing. Will definitely be hitting up Houston Friday June 16th.

cc10106
I saw something about Remain In Light on the promo for it so I assumed they'd be playing it. Still need to stop by the box office and get some tickets since I'm too cheap to pay the fees.
CFTXAG10
AG
Just got home. RHCP kicked a** ! Great show! The Strokes were good too but wished they had played longer.
TXAG 05
AG
Bush played a lot of newer stuff, but surprisingly, it was really good. Gavin did Glycerine solo which was pretty cool.
BSD
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Just got home. RHCP kicked a** ! Great show! The Strokes were good too but wished they had played longer.

We missed the whole Strokes set but was more than pleased with the Chili Peppers show so that made up for it. Lots of Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Frusciante was just amazing.
cc10106
I was getting ready to leave early during the encore to beat the mass exodus, but then RHCP played my favorite song of theirs (I Could Have Lied) instead of Under the Bridge which I expected. Great set of songs overall with not much after Stadium Arcadium. Minute Maid Park was a much better venue than I expected. Hopefully the grass is decent on Monday night.
cajunaggie08
AG
Morgan Wallen was orignally supposed to play at Minute Maid tonight so at least the grass can get an extra day reprieve of being covered and squished.
rononeill
Frusciante is amazing. I'd always heard about how great he was but never really appreciated him until lately... was super cool to see a top 20 all-timer live.
cc10106
He has some great solo albums starting in the early 2000s after he kicked the heroin addiction. I was looking forward to the random song teases between the main set along with any covers by Johnny as much as anything.

jorgerr96
I saw Sisters of Mercy last saturday at ACL Live and it was easily one of the saddest performances I've ever seen. I didn't feel like leaving mid set so just stayed but it never got any better. The touring guitarrist sang most of the show cause Andrew just sucks nowadays
johnnyblaze36
AG
Dead & Company in Dallas last weekend was incredible and so much fun. Best I've seen them play and I'm sad it's the last time I'll ever be able to catch them.

Onto Billy Strings this Friday and Saturday in Austin. Don't miss them!
Bunk Moreland
Very bummed I mizzed that show.
Tailgate88
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Dead & Company in Dallas last weekend was incredible and so much fun. Best I've seen them play and I'm sad it's the last time I'll ever be able to catch them.

John Mayer on guitar, right? Would have loved to have seen that. Saw the Dead in Vegas 20 some odd years ago. Quite the memory. Well, the part I remember anyway.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Tailgate88 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

John Mayer on guitar, right? Would have loved to have seen that. Saw the Dead in Vegas 20 some odd years ago. Quite the memory. Well, the part I remember anyway.
Correct. Watching the live stream from Raleigh right now. He's such a great fit. I went to the three Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago in 2015 that had Trey Anastasio in Jerry's place and he was awesome but Mayer is such a better singer. He's killing it tonight.

They are definitely worth traveleing to see at a cool spot since it's the final tour ever.
TXAG 05
AG
Randy Rogers tonight at White Oak.
dmart90
AG
Saw Duran Duran at the Moody Center last night. The acoustics in that place just continue to impress.

Chic was first opening act and they were excellent. Nile Rodgers is awesome. Great rendition of Let's Dance and they closed with Good Times (with a little Rappers Delight injected). It's easy to forget just how good they were.

Bastille came on next. I just don't know their catalog that well. They had good energy, but clearly knew they were in the way of happy hour. Kind of apologized a couple of times and thanked the audience for their patience. Was a little weird, but they were solid.

Two opening acts was too many, honestly.

DD took them stage and just owned it. Played all the greats and a bunch of songs off their first album. They messed up at the start of Hungry Like the Wolf and started over. Never seen that before. They owned it, told us the f'ed up, and said they didn't give a toss.

They played two of their brand new songs, Anniversary is definitely the stronger tune (at least in concert). Nothing else from their more "recent" albums. Bummer, I thought Astronaut was a really good album. They closed with Save a Prayer (audience participation required) and Rio. It was, in my estimation, an excellent set. And they sounded fantastic!

It was a very, very good show and very glad I went. Last time I saw them perform was at the Irwin Center in 1985.
StinkyPinky
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

My son went to this as well (also went last year). He said at least this year (first year was in Seattle) that the crowd was more into The Strokes (his favorite band).

Tomorrow night we're both going to The Cure concert in St Paul.
BCSWguru
Also saw Duran Duran at Moody. That place is great for music shows. Setlist was amazing. Ticketmaster fees, though, are another story.

Unrelated, did anyone catch Weezer last night in Dallas? Setlist looks awesome, just wondering if they're still mailing it in.
62strat
AG
dmart90 said:

They messed up at the start of Hungry Like the Wolf and started over. Never seen that before. They owned it, told us the f'ed up, and said they didn't give a toss.

Per setlist.fm, john taylor broke a string., but per video below (at 25-40 seconds) looks like either that or some other technical difficulty with the bass. I never heard the bass 'drop out', so it may have never been live from the start of the song.

Not uncommon at all for bands to start over for a tech difficulty, if it's near the start.. much less common to start over half way through or more though.

JYDog90
AG
BCSWguru said:

Also saw Duran Duran at Moody. That place is great for music shows. Setlist was amazing. Ticketmaster fees, though, are another story.

Unrelated, did anyone catch Weezer last night in Dallas? Setlist looks awesome, just wondering if they're still mailing it in.

We were at Janet Jackson on Sunday night and I thought the sound was muddled. And the fees! We paid 30% in fees! Not good.
62strat
AG
I've long wished for tickets to be sold with fees included. I'm in the camp that if I have to pay fees, I'd simply rather not know how much in fees I'm paying.

Like airlines did a while back.
cajunaggie08
AG
62strat said:

I've long wished for tickets to be sold with fees included. I'm in the camp that if I have to pay fees, I'd simply rather not know how much in fees I'm paying.

Like airlines did a while back.
Same. With stubhub they have an option to show the per ticket price with fees and I prefer searching that way if i'm needing shop for aftermarket tickets so I know what my actual cost will really be rather than get all the way to the checkout screen to see how much I'm actually supposed to pay. I'm sure they have done studies that show people are more likely to pay when the fees are added to the end and are literally one more click away from the purchase rather than see the all-in cost up front.
Proposition Joe
1) Many of the fees are going back to the artist, so there's incentive for them to make it look like their tickets are cheaper and it's just the Ticketmaster punching bag that is charging the fees.

2) All-in pricing only works if every one does it, which requires legislation. If you're "all-in" and everyone else is "pre-fees", then everyone else will look like a cheaper ticket. Sure, you find the truth once you get to the final checkout page -- but there's plenty of data that shows you have gone a long way to capturing the sale once customer gets to the check out screen.

I agree all-in would be better, but I also don't like to see legislation.
cajunaggie08
AG
Proposition Joe said:

1) Many of the fees are going back to the artist, so there's incentive for them to make it look like their tickets are cheaper and it's just the Ticketmaster punching bag that is charging the fees.

2) All-in pricing only works if every one does it, which requires legislation. If you're "all-in" and everyone else is "pre-fees", then everyone else will look like a cheaper ticket. Sure, you find the truth once you get to the final checkout page -- but there's plenty of data that shows you have gone a long way to capturing the sale once customer gets to the check out screen.

I agree all-in would be better, but I also don't like to see legislation.
Why not? Good laws are allowed to exist. What we have now is the free market in action and we havent exactly benefited from it. Of course no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. But slapping an extra $20 or more on the price of an item as you are at the checkout process isnt acting in good faith either. Yes, i would rather see sales tax included in the price of an item before i checkout too. If a company is allowed to own/control all of the large venues to the point where being a punching bag doesnt hurt its business model, then I think we have a broken system here.
Counterpoint
AG
Ticketmaster sucks, but don't get me started on resort fees!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.