***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,538 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

The dude pops into just about every show or movie thread to make sure everyone knows why he's displeased or not watching. It's kind of hilarious now that I notice it.
Lol... okay. Literally this and Don't Look Up. But I guess that constitutes "Just about every show or movie thread".
AgfromHOU
AG
To steer away from some CR,

I got matching books of The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The Hobbit to go with the LotR trilogy I got 20 years ago when the movies came out to prep for the new show.

ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm not sure what post had me pull up Elrond's Wikipedia earlier, but I had completely forgotten that Galadriel is Elrond's mother in law.
amercer
AG
Live forever and the family tree gets complicated.
chase128
AG
Yeah uhh Elrond's wife had a bad go of things in middle earth
Al Bula
AG
Anyone seen Aerial America on the Smithsonian Channel? It's a pretty badass aerial shot show of all the states. Pretty sure I've seen one of England too.

It would be badass if there was a middle earth aerial show which showcased all the well known middle earth spots and the mostly referenced cities (annuminas, ost-en-edhil, dol Amroth, pelargir, etc).

Very niche content that is probably not worth the cost, but damn it would be a badass way to put some depth around the famous and forgotten parts of middle earth.
ChipFTAC01
AG
amercer said:

Yeah, Arwen is Aragorn's GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-Aunt.
BAP Enthusiast
PatAg said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Inventing a horde of new characters with 2020 US culture story arcs sounds…awful.

There are so many great 2nd Age characters in the source material. Why create a bunch of new ones?
think they just meant, there is no real reason for every character to be white. Some groups of people probably should be, just based on description.

Im just more worried about new characters/stories in general, because thats where it is most likely to fall short. That and I'm not really sure there is a place for sex scenes in Lord of the Rings shows/movies.

They seem to understand the source material, and the visuals look great, so I'm cautiously excited.

When Tolkien very clearly indicated what each group was supposed to look like, the question I have for this is why can't every character be white? The movies were all white and universally loved so why is that all of a sudden a bad thing? The lore is extremely clear, moreso than almost every other fantasy universe.
PatAg
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

PatAg said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Inventing a horde of new characters with 2020 US culture story arcs sounds…awful.

There are so many great 2nd Age characters in the source material. Why create a bunch of new ones?
think they just meant, there is no real reason for every character to be white. Some groups of people probably should be, just based on description.

Im just more worried about new characters/stories in general, because thats where it is most likely to fall short. That and I'm not really sure there is a place for sex scenes in Lord of the Rings shows/movies.

They seem to understand the source material, and the visuals look great, so I'm cautiously excited.

When Tolkien very clearly indicated what each group was supposed to look like, the question I have for this is why can't every character be white? The movies were all white and universally loved so why is that all of a sudden a bad thing? The lore is extremely clear, moreso than almost every other fantasy universe.
hunter2012
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

amercer said:

Yeah, Arwen is Aragorn's GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-Aunt.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Nazanin Boniadi is hot AF ... she was Barney's love interest on How I met Your Mother - incredibly beautiful
Ulrich
Sidebar, since I brought up Galadriel's hair. Feanor was the most powerful and clever of the elves. In the first age he coveted Galadriels hair, and three times asked for a strand. She refused Feanor because of his pride. He went on to create the three Silmarils, capturing the light of the trees of Valinor because it resembled the color of Galadriel's hair. He was then corrupted by Melkor's manipulation and his own pride. The hatred and jealousy inspired by Feanors actions, the oath he and his sons swore, and the beauty of the Silmarils led to many of the great tragedies of the Silmarillion, especially the kinslaying.

Thousands of years later, an ugly little dwarf requested a single hair from Galadriel's head, not from any devious or corrupt motive but because he was struck by her beauty and wisdom and had moved past the interspecies rivalry. She gave him three, specifically calling to mind the three requests of Feanor.

That meshes together things from the Unfinished Tales, the Silmarillion, and the Lord of the Rings. This is why Tolkien is so fascinating; the depth isn't just the languages and geography, it's that the stories and themes are so complex and layered.
Claude!
I have two primary areas where I care about the race of an actor being cast:

1. Consistency. If you're casting Denethor as a white guy, Boromir and Faramir should probably be white, or at least biracial, and Boromir and Faramir should "match" in terms of ethnicity. If you're casting for a relatively isolated and insular geography, like the Shire in LOTR or the Two Rivers in WOT, for the most part you should be casting characters and extras as relatively homogenous. It doesn't particularly matter to me what ethnicity you pick, but you should stick with it unless there's a reason not to, which is a great segue into...

2. Plot-important appearances. Obviously, almost any actor is going to deviate somewhat from the source material, and it's not always a big deal. Moiraine in the books is tiny, but Rosamund Pike is pretty tall for a woman at 5'9"; it's a change, but not material to the character. On the flip side, whoever they cast as Sammael (if he's in the show), should be shorter than Rand, because that height difference is integral to the Sammael character in the book.

Similarly, as someone said above, Galadriel has to have hair "golden like the hair of her father and of her foremother Indis, but richer and more radiant, for its gold was touched by some memory of the starlike silver of her mother; and the Eldar said that the light of the Two Trees had been snared in her tresses." If Galadriel is rocking a pink mohawk, she's not Galadriel.
Ulrich
I think Moiraine's height is intentionally contrasted with Lan's , but at least through the three books I read I would call it a fairly minor point that can be made in other ways.
BAP Enthusiast
Easy, Rod said:

Yeah, no thanks to this garbage:
Quote:

Amazon's series will also broaden the notion of who shares the world of Middle-earth. One original story line centers on a silvan elf named Arondir, played by Ismael Cruz Crdova, who will be the first person of color to play an elf onscreen in a Tolkien project. He is involved in a forbidden relationship with Bronwyn, a human village healer played by Nazanin Boniadi, a British actor of Iranian heritage.

On the other hand, I am very curious what Moria and Lindon look like. Numenor too. Might be best to watch with the sound off and fast forwarding to geographic scenes.

I don't really care about Jeff Bezos financing Middle Earth fan fiction, which is exactly what this is.

The Elf is also black and the woman is white just to make it extra woke of course.
BAP Enthusiast
PatAg said:

powerbelly said:

Easy, Rod said:

Yeah, no thanks to this garbage:
Quote:

Amazon's series will also broaden the notion of who shares the world of Middle-earth. One original story line centers on a silvan elf named Arondir, played by Ismael Cruz Crdova, who will be the first person of color to play an elf onscreen in a Tolkien project. He is involved in a forbidden relationship with Bronwyn, a human village healer played by Nazanin Boniadi, a British actor of Iranian heritage.

On the other hand, I am very curious what Moria and Lindon look like. Numenor too. Might be best to watch with the sound off and fast forwarding to geographic scenes.

I don't really care about Jeff Bezos financing Middle Earth fan fiction, which is exactly what this is.
So much source material already there and we get a dumbass rom-com story line.
I'm thinking that whatever they bought the rights to doesnt include all of the Silmarilion, or large parts of it were excluded.

It doesn't include the Simalrilion at all, not one single bit of it. In fact the contract specifically excluded all of it from the 1st age.
BAP Enthusiast
I Have Spoken said:

Taking Disney's approach.

The Disney approach of destroying a franchise.

Oh well, we'll always have the movies that they can never touch. You just know it makes them seethe when they look at how much people liked them.
BAP Enthusiast
Fightin TX Aggie said:

I love that they decided to cover her in Pyramids for some reason. Why the hell is a dwarf queen wearing Egyptian style clothing? What moron made this decision?
The Porkchop Express
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

I love that they decided to cover her in Pyramids for some reason. Why the hell is a dwarf queen wearing Egyptian style clothing? What moron made this decision?
Couldn't they be the Misty Mountains or some other mountains? Or a reflection of the hierarchy of the rings?

BAP Enthusiast
helloimustbegoing said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Couldn't they be the Misty Mountains or some other mountains? Or a reflection of the hierarchy of the rings?

Sure, but that clothing is obviously a take on ancient Egyptian clothing, something which has nothing at all to do with dwarf clothing as described anywhere or seen in any previous movie.
Ulrich
There are seven relatively distinct dwarf kingdoms which could have their own clothing and symbolism. Each was descended from a different dwarf father brought to life by Aule so not necessarily all genetically similar. I think Kazad-dum took in the remnants of a couple other kingdoms, so there could even be some multiculturalism there that wouldn't make sense in some of the other kingdoms.
CondensedFogAggie
BAP Enthusiast said:

I Have Spoken said:

Oh well, we'll always have the movies that they can never touch. You just know it makes them seethe when they look at how much people liked them.

Except Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Paramount Plus and well every other streaming service is doing it as well with a lot of their content.

I'm sure you'll find the strength to get through these troubled times.

The Porkchop Express
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

I Have Spoken said:

Except Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Paramount Plus and well every other streaming service is doing it as well with a lot of their content.

I'm sure you'll find the strength to get through these troubled times.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Looks like Gandalf visited this thread overnight.

Al Bula
AG
Ulrich said:

There are seven relatively distinct dwarf kingdoms which could have their own clothing and symbolism. Each was descended from a different dwarf father brought to life by Aule so not necessarily all genetically similar. I think Kazad-dum took in the remnants of a couple other kingdoms, so there could even be some multiculturalism there that wouldn't make sense in some of the other kingdoms.
this is a good point. Went down a rabbit hole on the non-Durin (Longbeards) line in TH and LOTR.

Seems Bifur, Bofur and Bombur were not of Durin's line. So this fan fiction princess without a beard (who looks more appropriate on Empire than LOTR) could be from one of the other six clans.

In any event, it's pandering and this show should not be taken seriously.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Props to this man.

PatAg
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Looks like Gandalf visited this thread overnight.

Someone crossed the line from reasonable objections about cultures in adaptations of established fantasy worlds to the type of things 13 year olds say in Call of Duty lobbies.
Lathspell
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Props to this man.

I think that deserves its own thread.
Ulrich
Easy, Rod said:

Ulrich said:

this is a good point. Went down a rabbit hole on the non-Durin (Longbeards) line in TH and LOTR.

Seems Bifur, Bofur and Bombur were not of Durin's line. So this fan fiction princess without a beard (who looks more appropriate on Empire than LOTR) could be from one of the other six clans.

In any event, it's pandering and this show should not be taken seriously.

Multiculturalism and relationships between races are a theme in Tolkien's work, although the races are usually standing in for something else; the races aren't really the point. For example, when the dwarves cut down Thingol, it's a literalization of the "dwarves sickness" of greed that brought low one of the great elf kings. And there are multiple interracial relationships - Beren and Luthien, Aragorn and Arwen, and maybe even Eol and Aredhel. Again the point is less the racial aspect and more the forbidden love, as well as modeling Tolkien's own near-reverence of his own wife as a being he couldn't quite believe was the same species as him.

I am afraid this show will wield these topics with Hollywoods usual subtlety, which is similar to that of a T-34 crashing through the rubble of a German village in 1945.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgfromHOU
AG
FriendlyAg
Saw the commercial and knew it would be here
FriendlyAg
Saw the commercial and knew it would be here
RebAg13

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.