***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,495 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DVC2010
AG
I absolutely agree that most characters were done a disservice in the translation to film. I don't like it, but many of the changes really were driven by the medium. Why the love triangle in the second movie? Because Jackson needed some reason to put Arwen on the screen so she doesn't disappear for the middle-third of the story. Why is Faramir such a jerk to the hobbits? Because there's not enough time to explore his wisdom and goodness; instead a redemption arc satisfies the audience, and it can be done quickly because Boromir has already outlined that arc.

And this is coming from a guy who will use the intermissions to lecture his friends on what is missing from the original story.
redline248
AG
I feel like the movie missed the opportunity to really differentiate Faramir from his brother. We just saw Boromir try to take the ring and then regret it. Faramir became version 2 of that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I remember being a little perplexed at Faramir in the movies. I think it was not wrong after I read the trilogy that TTT and ROTK came out.

Still great movies, but seems like most of us wish that the Gondor stuff (scenes, characters) were handled just a little differently.

That being said, I loved everything Rohan in the movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TheOneRing.net Oscar party 2004

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Missing: "I kill Sean Bean, he kills Sean Bean."
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not to turn this into a bookstore discussion, but she has a point, and B&N has actually changed their business strategy to have a more varied selection in their stores.

Like the Hobbit is great and all, but there's no reason to have like 10 different prints of the same book there when there are so many more great fantasy books out there, especially with it really taking off as a genre in recent years.
YouBet
AG
bluefire579 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not to turn this into a bookstore discussion, but she has a point, and B&N has actually changed their business strategy to have a more varied selection in their stores.

Like the Hobbit is great and all, but there's no reason to have like 10 different prints of the same book there when there are so many more great fantasy books out there, especially with it really taking off as a genre in recent years.
I have hot sports opinions about this but I'll not derail this thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
Last night to kill a few minutes while I finished a beer I opened up Disney+ to watch a little tv before heading to bed. Apparently at some point I had added The Black Cauldron to my queue. I've never seen the movie, I think I maybe had a book and/or video game when I was a kid.

Listening to the opening narration, I knew the voice sounded familiar but couldn't place it. Pulled up Wikipedia and it's none other than John Huston aka Gandalf the Gray from the animated Hobbit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Damn, this new LotR series has a $425 MM budget from Amazon?

Much hype
Fat Bib Fortuna
Howard Shore is about to open a can of lawsuit on someone for ripping off his music, me thinks.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bagger05
AG
What a sweet graphic
Mathguy64
AG
It's got an error right off the bat at The Shire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which is?
C@LAg
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Which is?
the inclusion of "The Shire" bulletpoint is dumb,

and the map indicates that Merry/Pippin were not in the Shire (assuming you keep it).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Tap
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Which is?

and the map indicates that Merry/Pippin were not in the Shire (assuming you keep it).

Wrong, it indicates that they didn't meet up with Sam and Frodo until Farmer Maggot's, which is accurate.
powerbelly
AG
Farmer Maggot's farm is in the Shire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Superfluous bullet point; not an error.
Mathguy64
AG
Pippin was with Frodo and Sam the entire time walking from Hobbiton. Merry took the road and a cart.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Which is?

Wrong, it indicates that they didn't meet up with Sam and Frodo until Farmer Maggot's, which is accurate.

nowhere did I say it was an error.

you agreed with me on your very next post.

The inclusion was dumb.

the way it was presented is wrong,
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Tap
that theory is bunk.

Flying at height they would have been out of range of any arrows, assuming there were any goblins or orcs around.

there is no evidence in any official material that it remained fortified.

fell beasts fly at about 100mph (if you use the info Gandalf provided talking about them flying from Baradur to Orthanc, I think. Golden eagles can fly at 200mph, and many others faster than that.

Eagles vastly outsize the fell beasts. Even the average eagles did.

They could zoom past the Nazgul and drop them off before the Nazgul did jack squat.

and it is all plot force anyways. there are many ways it could have or should have been done that would have been more expeditious.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's clearly meant to show the viewer that Sam/Frodo, Merry/Pippin, and Gandalf separated after Bilbo's party, not that none of them were in The Shire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WHAT THE ****.

Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

WHAT THE ****.

The obvious reason is the very strict Covid protocols, though I've heard rumblings that there is some real friction between Amazon and the NZ government.

It's also worth mentioning that Amazon nearly selected Scotland as its production center, but NZ apparently made a last minute, obscene offer to secure production. However, the subsidies and tax breaks Amazon received were somewhat controversial...
Orome
AG
Scotland will have some great scenery to choose from!
amercer
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Tap
that theory is bunk.

Flying at height they would have been out of range of any arrows, assuming there were any goblins or orcs around.

there is no evidence in any official material that it remained fortified.

fell beasts fly at about 100mph (if you use the info Gandalf provided talking about them flying from Baradur to Orthanc, I think. Golden eagles can fly at 200mph, and many others faster than that.

Eagles vastly outsize the fell beasts. Even the average eagles did.

They could zoom past the Nazgul and drop them off before the Nazgul did jack squat.

and it is all plot force anyways. there are many ways it could have or should have been done that would have been more expeditious.

There were plenty of examples of creatures/races that didn't really give two ****s about the rings or the affairs of men and elves. It's not like the eagles were ever invited to Elrond's house to be included in these discussions right? Maybe they liked Gandalf, but they probably didn't care at all for elves or men.
Ulrich
I have a feeling that things don't play out in favor of the eagles if they fly right into the full view of Sauron. Gotta assume he's got some magic up his metaphorical sleeve.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Here we have some actual news of the production - drama, even - and people are debating the "why didn't the eagles fly them to Mordor".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.