Dat stuff dat trouble you about da movies

48,723 Views | 452 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
11 pages and not one person mentions the unbelievability of bud choosing sissy over pam? i am @disappoint
Urban Ag
AG
PharmD4 said:

Somebody on this board pointed this out a long time ago and forever changed movies for me...

It always rains too hard. Go watch rain scenes...any of them...all of them...just torrential downpours every single one. Drives me crazy. I can't watch a rain scene without pointing out how unbelievably hard its raining. Even movies I like, great movies...The Departed for crying out loud...just too much rain.

So to whoever it was on this board a long time ago... thanks?
I have a theory about this.

I have recorded a lot of rain storms. Rain does not show up well in recordings. It has to be raining really hard to actually see the rain. So it may be that in order to see rain, or simulated rain, they really have to go over the top.
jenn96
AG
Quote:

11 pages and not one person mentions the unbelievability of bud choosing sissy over pam? i am @disappoint

Yeah but Bud is such an utter moron that it's totally believeable.
MooreTrucker
AG
Unthought Known said:

Today if you want a good young actor, they hire British to play Americans.
Or Aussies.
Rudyjax
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

Or Aussies.

There's a difference?
MooreTrucker
AG
Unthought Known said:

MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

Or Aussies.

There's a difference?
According to them, yep. Brits get upset, Aussies get downright angry if you refer to them the wrong way.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
The one that always drives me nuts is in Contact. At the end, in the Congressional hearing Kitz throws down saying that it was all a hoax perpetrated by Hadden.

1) He misquote's Occam's Razor. Science just uses it as a friggin' guide, meaning that you should prefer a hypothesis with fewer assumptions because it's easier to test, but that doesn't necessarily mean that hypothesis is true

2) Vega is 26 light years away. And the location was verified by SETI and independent sites around the world. That means that 52 years prior to the movie (1945), Hadden had to launch a satellite that would travel at the speed of light, reach Vega, and then broadcast it's signal back to earth. At that point in time, Werner von Braun was feeling pretty damned good about hitting London with a V2 with reasonable accuracy, let alone ****ing VEGA. How the **** did Arroway not bust out laughing at that ****?

Granted, there is a metric ****-ton wrong with that movie, but this one drives me the most bonkers...
Carlo4
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

The one that always drives me nuts is in Contact. At the end, in the Congressional hearing Kitz throws down saying that it was all a hoax perpetrated by Hadden.

1) He misquote's Occam's Razor. Science just uses it as a friggin' guide, meaning that you should prefer a hypothesis with fewer assumptions because it's easier to test, but that doesn't necessarily mean that hypothesis is true

2) Vega is 26 light years away. And the location was verified by SETI and independent sites around the world. That means that 52 years prior to the movie (1945), Hadden had to launch a satellite that would travel at the speed of light, reach Vega, and then broadcast it's signal back to earth. At that point in time, Werner von Braun was feeling pretty damned good about hitting London with a V2 with reasonable accuracy, let alone ****ing VEGA. How the **** did Arroway not bust out laughing at that ****?

Granted, there is a metric ****-ton wrong with that movie, but this one drives me the most bonkers...
Forgive the retort, General....

Agree with point 1. For point 2, I thought they used the broadcast of the opening ceremony of the Berlin Games in 1936 as its signal was powerful enough to reach Vega? Been a while since I've seen that movie.

Bruce Almighty
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Forgive the retort, General....

Agree with point 1. For point 2, I thought they used the broadcast of the opening ceremony of the Berlin Games in 1936 as its signal was powerful enough to reach Vega? Been a while since I've seen that movie.

That's right. I'm not really sure what Maximus is talking about.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
It's been a while since I've seen it, too. But basically Kitz is saying it was all a big hoax. Ok, where did that signal come from then? They covered that when it was discovered, and had the Australian site confirm the location. It had to have come from Vega.

So you're getting a signal of the 1936 games from Vega. Great. But there was more in that signal, so it wasn't the original broadcast that was sent out. Which means that for Hadden to fake it, he would've had to have sent either a separate signal (again, 52 years prior to the time of the movie) that bounced off something in Vega and was received here, or a satellite to re-broadcast the signal.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

It's been a while since I've seen it, too. But basically Kitz is saying it was all a big hoax. Ok, where did that signal come from then? They covered that when it was discovered, and had the Australian site confirm the location. It had to have come from Vega.

So you're getting a signal of the 1936 games from Vega. Great. But there was more in that signal, so it wasn't the original broadcast that was sent out. Which means that for Hadden to fake it, he would've had to have sent either a separate signal (again, 52 years prior to the time of the movie) that bounced off something in Vega and was received here, or a satellite to re-broadcast the signal.

Haden didn't fake anything. That's what Kitz was trying to get Ellie to believe during the trial.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I know. I'm annoyed because nobody called him for that idiotic theory.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

Or Aussies.

There's a difference?
According to them, yep. Brits get upset, Aussies get downright angry if you refer to them the wrong way.

I understand that. If I was called Canadian or even Oklahoman I get kind of annoyed by it.
MooreTrucker
AG
Champ Bailey said:

MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

Or Aussies.

There's a difference?

I understand that. If I was called Canadian or even Oklahoman I get kind of annoyed by it.
Did you ever see Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with Tina Fey? There's a very funny joke about Canadians/Aussies.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
No, was it good? It has the E-board's favorite actress in it, right?
MooreTrucker
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Indeed it does. It was good, we thought. Not as funny as we expected given Tina Fey.
c-jags
Champ Bailey said:

i liked it a lot actually. nice and light but still interesting content.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Margot
MW03
AG
Ana De Armas
Chalupa Batman
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the eagles in Lord of the Rings yet. Why wouldn't they just fly the whole way there?

The theory I've heard is that was the plan. They had to go through the mines to get to the eagles. And when the balrog lassos Gandalf, he even tells the group, "fly, you fools"
Ag03 CQE
AG
In Return of the King, why does Aragorn release the Dead Army after one battle? He has this invincible force at his disposal, so why not go straight to Mordor and finish the war?

In Superman IV, the Lex Luther's nuclear man kidnaps Lois Lane and takes her into outer space. How is she able to 1. Breathe and 2. Not explode?

In Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, every English character has an English accent except Robin Hood.
Ag03 CQE
AG
The absolute worst chase scene has to be motorcycle chase at the end of Mission Impossible 2. There's so much obviously wrong that there's no way to possibly pick out everything. The most glaring problem is the fact that the Tom Cruise is on a Triumph Speed Triple and the bad guys are chasing him in what appear to be old Ford Tempos and an old Nissan Pathfinder and not only manage to keep up with him, but ram him from behind when there's plenty of open road ahead of him and he should be able to speed away. He also has tires that magically change from knobby off-road to slick street tires and back (keep an eye on the tires toward the end when it's just the two motorcycles). There's also at least one scene where he jumps the bike and lands with the obvious help of wires. The two bikes collide in mid air and explode, then one crashes to the ground clearly not exploded. The whole thing is just a mess of obvious errors.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Aragorn gave his word that they would be released if they fulfilled their duty to defend Gondor. They did so he let them go.
Ag03 CQE
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Aragorn gave his word that they would be released if they fulfilled their duty to defend Gondor. They did so he let them go.

I get that, but a more comprehensive defense of Gondor would be defeating Mordor entirely. I doubt the King of the Dead would have argued too much if Aragorn told him up front that he considered Gondor adequately defended when Mordor was defeated if it meant they would finally be released.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Don't think that's how it was set up. As I understand it their oath was specifically to defend. Not go on the offensive to curtail future attacks. They fulfilled the oath they once abandoned and letting them go was the honorable thing to do.
West Point Aggie
AG
In Star Trek Into Darkness, why does the enterprise have a trash exhaust port?

In the late 2200s they should recycle everything!
Bulldog73
AG
What happens to all the poo on these space ships? Do they ever just dump the waste behind them when being chased sometimes?
Goldie Wilson
Bulldog73 said:

What happens to all the poo on these space ships? Do they ever just dump the waste behind them when being chased sometimes?

Cancelled
AG
I've got another one. So, Crocodile Dundee was in the alley. He gets attacked by the three pimps. He reaches for his knife, but realizes he doesn't have it. Seriously, this was a family movie. What was he going to do with that knife if he had it? Was he going to kill those pimps?
The Debt
AggieSouth06 said:

The Debt said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The Lost World -

The boat arrives out of control at the harbor in San Diego, at which times people go on board to determine why the boat lost control. All they find is carnage, including a couple of severed hands. It is shortly thereafter revealed that the Tyrannosaur is locked in the cargo hold. We never see thatnthere are any other dinosaurs on the boat.

If the Tyrannosaur is the only dinosaur on board, how did it get its massive head inside the control room (where we find one of the severed hands still holding onto a control lever) without damaging the door frame, roof or surrounding structure?

The second severed hand is still grasping the controls that operate the doors to the cargo hold. If the Tyrannosaur is the only dinosaur on board, then how did the previous owner of that hand die? Yet the implication is that the Tyrannosaur killed him, so if that was the case, how did the dude push the button to entrap the Tyrannosaur since, presumably, most of that guy was roasting in the Tyrannosaur's gut?

Or were there velociraptors on the boat? Where did they go? Are there raptors loose in San Diego?

If I recall the books, there were raptors on the boat that got off the island. Obviously a 50 ft trex isn't killing people at the helm.

But that was lazy filmmaking.

That was the first book. And the boat never made it to the mainland. They got the phones working and Genarro made up some military code to get them to turn the boat around. Part of the big climax that was cut out of the movie (also, Genarro was a completely different character and died 20 minutes in).

The second book didn't have any subplots about dinosaurs getting off the island. It's totall self-contained.

If I recall the books, many of the elements of book 1 were thrown into movie 2. Like the hide-high.
West Point Aggie
AG
In Star Trek Beyond: how can the giant snow globe station, The Yorktown, have night when it isn't orbiting anything that could lead to a station-wide night like the movie shows? And if the glass darkens like a pair of transition glasses why did it look dark from the outside as well?
Stupe
S
A common thing across all movies / tv shows is when someone walks into a bar and orders a drink.

Order liquor or a mixed drink: Order exactly what you want

Order a beer: "I'll have a beer" and get served without being asked what kind of beer you want.

I know it's advertising, but it still bugs me.
Flashdiaz
AG
Stupe said:

A common thing across all movies / tv shows is when someone walks into a bar and orders a drink.

Order liquor or a mixed drink: Order exactly what you want

Order a beer: "I'll have a beer" and get served without being asked what kind of beer you want.

I know it's advertising, but it still bugs me.
i'd rather the ambiguity of the beer over overtly having the camera focus on the beer name in a transformers style in movie advertising segment.

Bruce Almighty
AG
In science classes, the students are always mixing liquids in beakers that are obviously just water mixed with food coloring.
hurleyag
AG
The truck literally lights up right before exploding bringing your attention to it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.