Dat stuff dat trouble you about da movies

48,759 Views | 452 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
docaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie kid said:

AstroAg17 said:

Pacific Rim.

The giant robots spend 95% of their time punching the giant aliens, but at no point in the entire movie does a punch accomplish anything at all. Effective weapons for killing kaiju exist. The hand laser cannon on the mech toward the beginning is a 1 shot kill. Put about 10 of those on each robot. Or, wait until they get to shore, then truck in a cannon. There are other ways to kill the kaiju of course. But punching is not one of them.

Let's borrow a phrase from another science fiction monster movie, "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."
For the money they spent on Jaegers, humanity could have built a handful of space based missile or laser systems, parked them over known spawning areas, and just zapped them as they came through.
Here's the other thing.
Consider for a moment how fast the arms and legs would need to be going just to walk, much less throw a punch. Hundreds of miles per hour. Hard to imagine the hand holding up to that punch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieSouth06
FarmerJohn said:

Avatar always bugged me. You have this Colonel that is tasked with leading men in the defense of a mining operation designed to save Earth. Everything wants him and his men dead. He is betrayed by his scout and in the face of overwhelming odds, launches an attack. It fails and he is killed, the base falls, and Earth is doomed. Always bugged me.

If we destroyed our planet and had to ravage another habited planet to save ours, aren't we the bad guy in that scenario? It's basically Independence Day in reverse.

I feel like there's an ethics test question in there.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

FarmerJohn said:

Avatar always bugged me. You have this Colonel that is tasked with leading men in the defense of a mining operation designed to save Earth. Everything wants him and his men dead. He is betrayed by his scout and in the face of overwhelming odds, launches an attack. It fails and he is killed, the base falls, and Earth is doomed. Always bugged me.

If we destroyed our planet and had to ravage another habited planet to save ours, aren't we the bad guy in that scenario? It's basically Independence Day in reverse.

I feel like there's an ethics test question in there.

JB!98
AG
This will be incredibly unpopular here, but TOPGUN. The whole damn movie. Don't get me wrong, I can quote each line from beginning to end. My son will see TOPGUN 2 as it is ordained.

How the hell do you manage to get inverted in a dive with a "Mig 28" (F5), and then not clip into him with your vertical stabilizers?

How the hell do you manage to buzz the tower and not get sent to truck driving school?

There is no TOPGUN trophy.

Most Naval Aviators are super smart dudes/dudettes, that don't play volleyball with their skin oiled down in some homoeroctic situation.

Viper could have never been Mavericks RIO. Viper is a aviator and not at NFO or WSO.

When Maverick and Ice Man do a fly by of the carrier at the close, don't you think he and Slider would have wanted to get a "clear deck" and get that plane down as soon as possible?

None the less, best move ever made!
JuliusCaesarAggie
lurker76 said:

Roger Moore as James Bond. Every single thing he did in that role.
Damn near killed the franchise for me. Pierce Brosnan and Timothy Dalton were marginally better. Daniel Craig has saved it, thankfully.
This thread is supposed to be stuff that bothered you, not undisputed greatness. Roger Moore was the sh*t as James Bond.
pfo
AG
The way movies portray American Indians as these environmentally conscious people who loved the land. The truth is Indians killed buffalo by running the entire herd off cliffs. They would then go down to the bottom of the cliff and take the skins and meat they could carry and leave the rest of the dead herd to rot.

Also, I believe the nomadic Indians moved when they had picked all the berries and killed whatever game was around and left whennthe ground and stream was polluted with their feces. These people weren't planting trees and building ponds because in a few weeks they were hitting the road to go crap up another place.

Avatar is a great example of what Hollywood thinks about Indians. Noble people at one with the plants, birds and animals in a harmonious paradise it f happiness until whitey comes along and blows it all up.

Counterpoint
AG
jbarrow1998 said:

This will be incredibly unpopular here, but TOPGUN. The whole damn movie. Don't get me wrong, I can quote each line from beginning to end. My son will see TOPGUN 2 as it is ordained.

How the hell do you manage to get inverted in a dive with a "Mig 28" (F5), and then not clip into him with your vertical stabilizers?

How the hell do you manage to buzz the tower and not get sent to truck driving school?

Most Naval Aviators are super smart dudes/dudettes, that don't play volleyball with their skin oiled down in some homoeroctic situation.

Viper could have never been Mavericks RIO. Viper is a aviator and not at NFO or WSO.

When Maverick and Ice Man do a fly by of the carrier at the close, don't you think he and Slider would have wanted to get a "clear deck" and get that plane down as soon as possible?

This post took my breath awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
JD05AG said:

If West Caanan won the district championship, why did they never play football again?
And why was there no false start on Billy Bob on the play where Lance Harbor got hurt?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jbarrow1998 said:

I love it. Another human being able to truly enjoy a movie despite its flaws. Blue star for you.
AggieSouth06
Interstellar: A father's love for his daughter is the key to everything. His focus on her gives him purpose. He travels across space and time just to find her again.

*Finally reunited with daughter*
Father: Sup
Daughter: Sup
Father: Cool gonna go find this chick I knew for about 15 min thx.
Rudyjax
AG
pfo said:

The way movies portray American Indians as these environmentally conscious people who loved the land. The truth is Indians killed buffalo by running the entire herd off cliffs. They would then go down to the bottom of the cliff and take the skins and meat they could carry and leave the rest of the dead herd to rot.

Also, I believe the nomadic Indians moved when they had picked all the berries and killed whatever game was around and left whennthe ground and stream was polluted with their feces. These people weren't planting trees and building ponds because in a few weeks they were hitting the road to go crap up another place.

Avatar is a great example of what Hollywood thinks about Indians. Noble people at one with the plants, birds and animals in a harmonious paradise it f happiness until whitey comes along and blows it all up.

Native Americans in Avatar?
Counterpoint
AG
Did we ever figure out why the thread title got changed?
ChipFTAC01
AG
The blue folks are obviously just space Indians. Aboriginal folks in the with nature that have to stand up to the big, bad invading white man.
Furlock Bones
AG
Lucky #007 said:

JD05AG said:

If West Caanan won the district championship, why did they never play football again?
And why was there no false start on Billy Bob on the play where Lance Harbor got hurt?
that's the other big one. still a great ****ing movie.
jackie childs
ChipFTAC01 said:

The blue folks are obviously just space Indians. Aboriginal folks in the with nature that have to stand up to the big, bad invading white man.
also Dude, "space Indians" is not the preferred nomenclature. Native Pandorans please.
Rudyjax
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Obviously? Cuz I thought they were big blue people on a different planet.
_lefraud_
AG
Shoes

All these action/adventure movies and these guys are able to move around and do just about anything in dress shoes, no less. They rarely have their shoes come off, they never come untied, or anything that happens to normal shoe wearers.

And then you have John McClane who saves the day barefoot!

My favorite might be maybe the 3rd? Transformers movie where the girl is running around in her heels the whole movie, except when it was painfully obvious that her stunt was wearing flats for lots of scenes.
NoHo Hank
AG
young eugene
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Shoes

All these action/adventure movies and these guys are able to move around and do just about anything in dress shoes, no less. They rarely have their shoes come off, they never come untied, or anything that happens to normal shoe wearers.

And then you have John McClane who saves the day barefoot!

My favorite might be maybe the 3rd? Transformers movie where the girl is running around in her heels the whole movie, except when it was painfully obvious that her stunt was wearing flats for lots of scenes.
To go off of this, how do guys in movies do any kind of fighting / athletic stuff wearing suits? Suit jackets, especially slim fit ones can be a little restrictive like when reaching across your body, but in movies they manage to do all kinds of fighting and kung fu in them! In real life those suit jackets would be "tommy boy'd" real quick.
Carlo4
AG
While on the subject of Transformers....

Why, in the last movie, did they write in the scene where the over 18 boyfriend had the "law" card in his wallet about dating and ****ing a minor because it's ok?

How does that serve a movie in any way?
bigjohn1
AG
Lucky #007 said:

JD05AG said:

Bad officials - "High School football officials are all on the take and decide the game's result before the team's take the field..." /Losing HS Football Team Fan
Jasomania
AG
Pacific Rim

Why would they shut down the Jaegar program? I get they said they were going to build a wall instead (which was destroyed almost immediately) but say they held. Then what? You can't use sea travel any more. Would everything would be delivered via air craft?

They said that the attacks were becoming more frequent and the Kaiju were getting bigger. Again saying the wall holds, over time the ocean is begins to fill with hundreds of Kaiju and you have no plan on how to take them out. Even if the jagaers were getting destroyed and you had the walls protecting you wouldn't you use that time to continue building more jaegars as a second line of defense?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Lost World -

The boat arrives out of control at the harbor in San Diego, at which times people go on board to determine why the boat lost control. All they find is carnage, including a couple of severed hands. It is shortly thereafter revealed that the Tyrannosaur is locked in the cargo hold. We never see thatnthere are any other dinosaurs on the boat.

If the Tyrannosaur is the only dinosaur on board, how did it get its massive head inside the control room (where we find one of the severed hands still holding onto a control lever) without damaging the door frame, roof or surrounding structure?

The second severed hand is still grasping the controls that operate the doors to the cargo hold. If the Tyrannosaur is the only dinosaur on board, then how did the previous owner of that hand die? Yet the implication is that the Tyrannosaur killed him, so if that was the case, how did the dude push the button to entrap the Tyrannosaur since, presumably, most of that guy was roasting in the Tyrannosaur's gut?

Or were there velociraptors on the boat? Where did they go? Are there raptors loose in San Diego?
KidDoc
AG
I've been listening to HP audio books since I read the series as it came out and it was disjointed for me. But quidditch is a really stupid game. You get 10 points per goal and 150 points for catching the stupid snitch. So they could play and get up by 100 then the seeker catches the snitch and they lose anyway.

Dumb.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rudyjax
AG
KidDoc said:

I've been listening to HP audio books since I read the series as it came out and it was disjointed for me. But quidditch is a really stupid game. You get 10 points per goal and 150 points for catching the stupid snitch. So they could play and get up by 100 then the seeker catches the snitch and they lose anyway.

Dumb.

I never understood it either.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
KidDoc said:

Dumb.

I always took it as one of those wizarding things that was fun because of how nonsensical it was. Like talking suits of armor and paintings being bewitched so that the people could travel through them.

Speaking of which, how come you never heard about herds of wild animals from throughout the paintings in the castle stampeding other portraits to death?
Objective Aggie
AG
Any movie that has a private investigator that uses black and white film when taking pictures of the parties he is spying on.

I mean, for investigative work, wouldn't color be more useful? Saw this in Unfaithful on HBO a week ago. It kills me.
YouBet
AG
I can't believe I'm going to say this and while it really doesn't bother me at all because of the coolness factor it's the most nonsensical military design of all time:

AT-ATs. What moron thought this would be an efficient and effective way to fight battles?
- The design of it would limit it solely to environments with zero elevation or terrain undulation.
- It has zero rear defense capability.
- It can only move in one direction about 3 mph and it has the turning radius capability of Austin Powers turning his golf cart in the hallway.

Coupled with this is the idiocy of the rebels not having a plan for easily wiping them out if they ever touched down. Simply set a trap for them to literally walk into and wipe them out from flanking and rear positions.
Burdizzo
AG
YouBet said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this and while it really doesn't bother me at all because of the coolness factor it's the most nonsensical military design of all time:

AT-ATs. What moron thought this would be an efficient and effective way to fight battles?
- The design of it would limit it solely to environments with zero elevation or terrain undulation.
- It has zero rear defense capability.
- It can only move in one direction about 3 mph and it has the turning radius capability of Austin Powers turning his golf cart in the hallway.

Coupled with this is the idiocy of the rebels not having a plan for easily wiping them out if they ever touched down. Simply set a trap for them to literally walk into and wipe them out from flanking and rear positions.

There is a lot of idiocy in the Star Wars franchise. Among many is the defense capabilities of the Millennium Falcon.
fig96
AG
KidDoc said:

Dumb.

Quidditch also seems to be consistently very loosely officiated.
Burdizzo
AG
fig96 said:

KidDoc said:

Dumb.

Quidditch also seems to be consistently very loosely officiated.

It must be sanctioned by the NCAA
fig96
AG
I seriously considered working in a Big 12 officiating joke there
The Debt
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The Lost World -

The boat arrives out of control at the harbor in San Diego, at which times people go on board to determine why the boat lost control. All they find is carnage, including a couple of severed hands. It is shortly thereafter revealed that the Tyrannosaur is locked in the cargo hold. We never see thatnthere are any other dinosaurs on the boat.

If the Tyrannosaur is the only dinosaur on board, how did it get its massive head inside the control room (where we find one of the severed hands still holding onto a control lever) without damaging the door frame, roof or surrounding structure?

The second severed hand is still grasping the controls that operate the doors to the cargo hold. If the Tyrannosaur is the only dinosaur on board, then how did the previous owner of that hand die? Yet the implication is that the Tyrannosaur killed him, so if that was the case, how did the dude push the button to entrap the Tyrannosaur since, presumably, most of that guy was roasting in the Tyrannosaur's gut?

Or were there velociraptors on the boat? Where did they go? Are there raptors loose in San Diego?

If I recall the books, there were raptors on the boat that got off the island. Obviously a 50 ft trex isn't killing people at the helm.

But that was lazy filmmaking.
AggieSouth06
The Debt said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The Lost World -

If I recall the books, there were raptors on the boat that got off the island. Obviously a 50 ft trex isn't killing people at the helm.

But that was lazy filmmaking.

That was the first book. And the boat never made it to the mainland. They got the phones working and Genarro made up some military code to get them to turn the boat around. Part of the big climax that was cut out of the movie (also, Genarro was a completely different character and died 20 minutes in).

The second book didn't have any subplots about dinosaurs getting off the island. It's totall self-contained.
MGS
Jasomania said:

Pacific Rim

Why would they shut down the Jaegar program? I get they said they were going to build a wall instead (which was destroyed almost immediately) but say they held. Then what? You can't use sea travel any more. Would everything would be delivered via air craft?

They said that the attacks were becoming more frequent and the Kaiju were getting bigger. Again saying the wall holds, over time the ocean is begins to fill with hundreds of Kaiju and you have no plan on how to take them out. Even if the jagaers were getting destroyed and you had the walls protecting you wouldn't you use that time to continue building more jaegars as a second line of defense?
I always wondered how building 25,000 miles of 500-ft walls was more economical than maintaining a few dozen giant fighting robots. Were they going to make the kaiju pay for it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.