Dat stuff dat trouble you about da movies

48,768 Views | 452 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh here is one that's always bugged me: Why in any movie about an Ancient Civilization (Greece, Rome, etc), are all of the people speaking with British accents?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Oh here is one that's always bugged me: Why in any movie about an Ancient Civilization (Greece, Rome, etc), are all of the people speaking with British accents?

So it doesn't bother you that they're speaking modern day English in Ancient Greece, Rome, etc?
oragator
Kids are always portrayed as smarter than their parents or have the sage words of wisdom.

_lefraud_
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Any movie that has a private investigator that uses black and white film when taking pictures of the parties he is spying on.

I mean, for investigative work, wouldn't color be more useful? Saw this in Unfaithful on HBO a week ago. It kills me.

What kills me is that you would rather discuss black and white film rather than a kinky, horny and naked Diane Lane.

Cancelled
AG
Ok..op here...what exactly was Kelly McGillis' job in top gun? What were here qualifications? Why was she necessary?

And, in the first training session, Ironsides says "these planes are faster and more maneuverable than your planes"...why is the US navy using F-14s if the F4s were so much better?

One more: why did Goose wear a shirt when the rest of the guys were shirtless during the homoerotic Kenny Logins V-ball scene?
West Point Aggie
AG
In almost every bond movie or bond-like movie the bad guy devises some contrived, convoluted way of killing the hero...leaves to him to die, only to give said hero a way to fix the mess he is in "deus ex machina!"

Stive
AG
Civilian (you do not salute her) contractor and consultant.
512Ag
AG
PhD in astrophysics.

You'd better listen to her because the pentagon listens to her about your proficiency.
PharmD4
AG
Somebody on this board pointed this out a long time ago and forever changed movies for me...

It always rains too hard. Go watch rain scenes...any of them...all of them...just torrential downpours every single one. Drives me crazy. I can't watch a rain scene without pointing out how unbelievably hard its raining. Even movies I like, great movies...The Departed for crying out loud...just too much rain.

So to whoever it was on this board a long time ago... thanks?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

So it doesn't bother you that they're speaking modern day English in Ancient Greece, Rome, etc?

I understand the purpose for them speaking modern day English. What's the purpose for them to have English accents?
Martin Cash
AG
The figure 8 cutout when looking through binoculars always bugs me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

I understand the purpose for them speaking modern day English. What's the purpose for them to have English accents?
Because Russell Crowe is a better choice as Maximus than some no name Italian dude, not to mention, modern day Italians probably sound nothing like ancient Romans anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Counterpoint
AG
PharmD4 said:

Somebody on this board pointed this out a long time ago and forever changed movies for me...

It always rains too hard. Go watch rain scenes...any of them...all of them...just torrential downpours every single one. Drives me crazy. I can't watch a rain scene without pointing out how unbelievably hard its raining. Even movies I like, great movies...The Departed for crying out loud...just too much rain.

So to whoever it was on this board a long time ago... thanks?
So why do you want to do that to the rest of us?
YouBet
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

Because Russell Crowe is a better choice as Maximus than some no name Italian dude, not to mention, modern day Italians probably sound nothing like ancient Romans anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Also, the Roman empire was pretty diverse. And Maximus was Spanish if I recall. I think he was even referred to as The Spaniard in the movie. Not that that explains his accent any better.
Flashdiaz
AG
Burdizzo said:

YouBet said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this and while it really doesn't bother me at all because of the coolness factor it's the most nonsensical military design of all time:

AT-ATs. What moron thought this would be an efficient and effective way to fight battles?
- The design of it would limit it solely to environments with zero elevation or terrain undulation.
- It has zero rear defense capability.
- It can only move in one direction about 3 mph and it has the turning radius capability of Austin Powers turning his golf cart in the hallway.

Coupled with this is the idiocy of the rebels not having a plan for easily wiping them out if they ever touched down. Simply set a trap for them to literally walk into and wipe them out from flanking and rear positions.

There is a lot of idiocy in the Star Wars franchise. Among many is the defense capabilities of the Millennium Falcon.
AT-AT's aren't really tank-like weapons, they are troop and\or equipment transport for ground assault.

"- The design of it would limit it solely to environments with zero elevation or terrain undulation. "
----> they are All Terrain. not sure if they can climb mountains but they can handle beaches, forests and snowy conditions easily.

"- It has zero rear defense capability. "
----> they are armored. Speeder blasters weren't doing anything to them.

"- It can only move in one direction about 3 mph and it has the turning radius capability of Austin Powers turning his golf cart in the hallway. "
----> maybe they're not supposed to be the most nimble turn on a dime vehicle, like troop transport boats.

of course, this all applies to Hoth AT-AT's. The AT-AT's in Rogue One were easily destroyed but maybe they were just early cargo versions

"Among many is the defense capabilities of the Millennium Falcon."
---> it's a smuggler's ship that uses speed to escape. it has shields and some guns but depends on maneuverability and speed.
Malachi Constant
AG
Every time there is lightning in a movie, the thunder happens at the same time. This almost never happens in real life unless the lightning strike is 10 feet away from you.
5 Keys to Victory: 1. Out Hit 2. Out Hustle 3. Out Execute 4. Win the Kicking Game 5. Play with Emotion
Dro07
AG
Quote:

of course, this all applies to Hoth AT-AT's. The AT-AT's in Rogue One were easily destroyed but maybe they were just early cargo versions
Those were shot by X-Wings who have more firepower than the speeders. They couldn't use the X-wing in Hoth because they were acting up with the cold.
M.C. Swag
AG
So if Thor is in the south pole and his hammer is in the north pole, what happens when he calls it? Because there's really only 2 options (neither is good):

1) The hammer circumnavigates the globe, potentially dealing massive damage to every building, highway, or forest tree in its path.

or

2) It cuts straight through the earth's crust and completely guts the planet core until it reaches the other side.

Sounds to me like Thor is a liability.

Flashdiaz
AG
M.C. Swag said:

So if Thor is in the south pole and his hammer is in the north pole, what happens when he calls it? Because there's really only 2 options (neither is good):

1) The hammer circumnavigates the globe, potentially dealing massive damage to every building, highway, or forest tree in its path.

or

2) It cuts straight through the earth's crust and completely guts the planet core until it reaches the other side.

Thor zips back to his homeworld, tells the travel agent dude to put him back on Earth but this time on the north pole. He picks up his hammer.
M.C. Swag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

M.C. Swag said:

or

Thor zips back to his homeworld, tells the travel agent dude to put him back on Earth but this time on the north pole. He picks up his hammer.
What if Heimdhal (sp?) is also on the North pole?
MGS
So does Newton's second law apply and Thor is pulled towards Mjolnir with the same force that pulls the hammer to him?

So if Mjolnir is at the North Pole, it'll take a massive amount of force to bring it to the South Pole, and Thor will be pulled hundreds of miles underground?
M.C. Swag
AG
MGS said:

So does Newton's second law apply and Thor is pulled towards Mjolnir with the same force that pulls the hammer to him?

So if Mjolnir is at the North Pole, it'll take a massive amount of force to bring it to the South Pole, and Thor will be pulled hundreds of miles underground?
Hmm I don't think Thor is pulling the hammer. The hammer is simply propelling itself to him. (NERD TALK)
MW03
AG
YouBet said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

Also, the Roman empire was pretty diverse. And Maximus was Spanish if I recall. I think he was even referred to as The Spaniard in the movie. Not that that explains his accent any better.
Interestingly enough, Spain wasn't a country at that point, but it was a territory known as Hispania. So technically, they should have called him "Hispanicus" instead of Spaniard, or more colloquially for English speaking audiences, The Hispanic.
double aught
AG
Quote:

Interestingly enough
Debatable.
cr0wbar
AG
-Spectre- (saw it this weekend)

Final scene with Bond and Swann in the boat after he rescues her. They are chasing after Helicopter with villian in it.

He decides to take pot shots with his SIG, from a moving boat, at a helicopter, from 300M away?! And manages to hit the exhaust thus bringing the helicopter down. I felt cheated.
MW03
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

Interestingly enough
Debatable.
HA!

double aught
MW03
AG
Here's one that always bugged me about The Last Crusade:

As they are escaping the Nazis from the castle, Indy sets up a boat to take off down the river. Despite the fact that it's empty, the Nazis buy it and jump into a boat themselves to take off after it. Indy and Henry then immediately take off on the motorcycle before the Nazis even pull out into the river. Buys them like 3 seconds. Why not wait in the crate until they can hear the boat pull away from the dock?

Objective Aggie
AG
MW03 said:

As they are escaping the Nazis from the castle, Indy sets up a boat to take off down the river. Despite the fact that it's empty, the Nazis buy it and jump into a boat themselves to take off after it. Indy and Henry then immediately take off on the motorcycle before the Nazis even pull out into the river. Buys them like 3 seconds. Why not wait in the crate until they can hear the boat pull away from the dock?

now i'm angry.

it makes no sense.
Dro07
AG
I think thats why his dad looked at him with disapproval
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
MW03 said:

YouBet said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Champ Bailey said:

Interestingly enough, Spain wasn't a country at that point, but it was a territory known as Hispania. So technically, they should have called him "Hispanicus" instead of Spaniard, or more colloquially for English speaking audiences, The Hispanic.

The language thing gets even more illogical when you look at a movie like Inglorious *******s. The Nazis all speak English, but then switch over to French when speaking with the French, right?.
jenn96
AG
This is more of a side note than an answer to the issue of accents, but I read in Kirk Douglas' biography that when casting Spartucus, he chose to use British actors for the Romans and Americans for the slaves, to subtly highlight the difference for the audience. (Except for Jean Simmons - even thought she was British she was too perfect for the part). Which I thought made a lot of sense

Rudyjax
AG
jenn96 said:

This is more of a side note than an answer to the issue of accents, but I read in Kirk Douglas' biography that when casting Spartucus, he chose to use British actors for the Romans and Americans for the slaves, to subtly highlight the difference for the audience. (Except for Jean Simmons - even thought she was British she was too perfect for the part). Which I thought made a lot of sense

Today if you want a good young actor, they hire British to play Americans.
Objective Aggie
AG
Unthought Known said:

jenn96 said:

Today if you want a good young actor, they hire British to play Americans.
Except The Walking Dead, where they are mostly British and can't act at all. Imagine how bad the show would be with Americans.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
MW03 said:

LOL, this is HORRIBLE. like basic execution of a movie or scene that completely failed. unbelievable.

nevermind the fact that its obvious there is NOBODY inside the first boat (the bait boat). thats a whole different issue itself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.