Dat stuff dat trouble you about da movies

48,733 Views | 452 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
M.C. Swag said:

4. Complex quantum physics data can be transmitted via Morse code?!! (Interstellar)

5. Tom Hanks never opened the box. WHATS IN THE BOX?!! (Cast Away)

6. Does Superman need haircuts? If so, wouldn't you need kryptonite scissors? (Any super man movie)

I believe number 6 was addressed in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Presley OBannons Sword
TresPuertas said:

Frozen:

Parents find out that their daughters have what they consider a physical handicap and to deal with it they lock them away and isolate them for their entire childhoods.

Fast forward to when they grow up and one sister tries to reestablish a relationship with her older sister and the older sister subsequently decides that royalty isn't for her and runs away from a life of luxury and royalty, and her only remaining family.

Here's where I get pissed: little sister goes after big sister to convince her to return to her duty and big sister tries, numerous times mind you, to kill her.

Big decides, after the third try and most successful attempt, to murder her sister, that she wants the responsibility of ruling a kingdom and the people in the kingdom are cool with it and willing to overlook the numerous counts of attempted murder and curses of an eternal winter.

Elsa may be the second most selfish ***** in human history, behind Jenny from Forest Gump

So hot though.
Presley OBannons Sword
A Few Good Men. For a movie that I love, and for one that actually portrayed Marines pretty well, the several GLARING errors have always bugged me.

1) TC asking why Dawson didn't salute officers when they leave the room....absolutely not a thing.
2) TC mentioning that Jessup was wearing his class A dress uniform. He was wearing his class A service uniform.
3) Dawson saluting indoors after the trial. Marines only salute indoors when covered and under arms.
4) Jessup wearing his combat action ribbon backwards.

These may seem inconsequential, but they are very obvious to Marines. There are obvious errors in every military movie, but AFGM clearly had Marines advising them, bc so much of it was accurate....how did these things slip through? Most boot PFCs would catch these errors. Has always bugged me.

Bonus- there's no such article in the UCMJ "conduct unbecoming a Marine"
Cancelled
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

israeliag said:

I just took it as an homage to War of the Worlds, with, essentially water (though really the bacteria in it), being the reason the aliens lose.
This always bugged me. All that technology (in both the old and new versions), and they couldn't defend against bacteria, or know it would be a problem? And yes, I know that's the way it happened in the book...but we are talking about the movies here.

Exactly. Before the US goes into any war zone, our soldiers are inoculated against pretty much every disease that might be in the region. You're telling me that an advanced species that's been planning an attack for thousands of years (by planting soldiers under ground) didn't think about a stupid virus? (War of the worlds, not the Mel Gibson thing)
_lefraud_
AG
MASAXET said:

The Rock (love the movie, despite this): why does Sean Connery have to time the flames to break into Alcatraz and then simply unlock a door from the inside to let in the rest of the assault team? If he knew his way around Alcatraz because of his breakout years earlier, he never would have had to learn the timing of those flames - he could've just opened that same door and walked out?

Maybe said door was guarded back in the day, because wasn't it though the infirmary?
Rudyjax
AG
They cut the scenes where basically all of our computers were stolen from their technology.
Rudyjax
AG
rhoswen said:

You guys are gonna laugh, but...

88 miles a ****ing hour. That's not even that FAST.

It was 33 miles an hour over the speed limit in 1985.
OCEN99
AG
jbanda said:

Independence Day: They implant computer code into the alien mothership. Freaking alien mothership probably doesn't use BASIC or C++ or Fortran. It would be an amazing coincidence.
I thought they explained that all of our modern technology was reverse engineered from the artifacts found at the Roswell crash, so that could be a potential explanation. To be fair, that assumes the aliens haven't further developed their own technology in the time after the crash.
Burdizzo
AG
ArbAg said:

Burdizzo said:

The Death Star in both movies was supposedly still under construction, but you never saw any construction barricades, construction workers, or construction debris.

Neatest contractors in the history of the universe.
Yeah and the Galactic EPA and OSH would be all over their *****

When I think of Galactic EPA an OSHA, I think of the Dark Side
Zip 88
I can't remember which of the terrible Fast & Furious movies it was from, but that gawdawful C-17 taxi/takeoff scene.

Even the longest runway on the world would run out off tarmac before the one in that scene.
pfo
AG
Any sci-fi movie that has space travelers from earth traveling in a spaceship the size of NRG/Gerry World. In real life we are sending three men up in a capsule the size of a big trash can because anything heavier can't escape earth's atmosphere. The space station is a series of tubes shot up there on multiple launches.

But in the movie "Passengers" Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt are traveling from earth in something the size of a football stadium. It doesn't even matter what the sci-fi movie is. All the spaceships are gigantic while kooks down here on earth are trying to make Americans drive Smart Cars and live in birds nests to "save the planet".
pfo
AG
The movie "Die Hard 2" has passenger jets circling for hours and running out of fuel because the tower couldn't talk to the planes because there radio station was blown up. But in real life planes just change the station and talk to other airports and planes all over the damn place. If the planes can't land at one airport they just land at nearby airports instead of flying around in circles for 3 hours waiting to crash into Bruce Willis's airport.
TresPuertas
AG
Also Trainwreck

Who the hell would bang Amy Schumer?
UnderoosAg
AG
Battlefield Earth. Everything.

Andy Dufresne and the warden had the same shoe size.

And every movie where somebody pulls the fire alarm and all the sprinklers go off.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Battlefield Earth......well, everything.
TMoney2007
AG
taxpreparer said:

TMoney2007 said:

rhoswen said:

Faster than the speedo on any new cars at that point...

Cars in the sixties had speedometers that showed 120 mph. At least our 64 cuda and 68 Fury III did

Cars built in the 80s had speedometers that topped out at 85... for some reason.
TMoney2007
AG
pfo said:

Any sci-fi movie that has space travelers from earth traveling in a spaceship the size of NRG/Gerry World. In real life we are sending three men up in a capsule the size of a big trash can because anything heavier can't escape earth's atmosphere. The space station is a series of tubes shot up there on multiple launches.

But in the movie "Passengers" Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt are traveling from earth in something the size of a football stadium. It doesn't even matter what the sci-fi movie is. All the spaceships are gigantic while kooks down here on earth are trying to make Americans drive Smart Cars and live in birds nests to "save the planet".
Usually the theory is that they are built in space from materials gathered in space. Also, most assume some as yet undiscovered super powerful, extremely efficient propulsion system.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Why does Buzz Lightyear, who thinks he's a real space ranger, play possum around humans?

How did all the flyers for hookers get into the vault in Oceans 11?

In The Last Crusade, when Indy falls after stepping on the wrong letter, he pulls himself up while hanging on other wrong letters. Why did those not give way?
fig96
AG
In your defense, he's a hell of a director.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Why does Tom Cruise get to reset the day after the final boss fight in Edge of Tomorrow?

If you haven't seen that movie, rent it. It's awesome.
JYDog90
AG
In back to the future, how does Marty hit that mark at exactly the right time after his car stalls.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Southlake
These are funny, but doesn't that guy in the Vaughn College ad look like an idiot?
TXAG 05
AG
Unthought Known said:

rhoswen said:

It was 33 miles an hour over the speed limit in 1985.
I don't think anyone ever claimed that it was supposed to be really fast. It was just the speed that activated the time machine.
jbanda
AG
JD05AG said:

If West Caanan won the district championship, why did they never play football again?
In the confusion, the officials probably didn't see that they had no head coach. After the game, they probably forfeited the playoffs because of open insubordination to their head coach and the coach quitting. Whole town probably burned down because of it.
chipotle
JD05AG said:

If West Caanan won the district championship, why did they never play football again?

Where the hell were all the staff during the 2nd half?
taxpreparer
AG
TMoney2007 said:

taxpreparer said:

TMoney2007 said:

rhoswen said:

Faster than the speedo on any new cars at that point...

Cars in the sixties had speedometers that showed 120 mph. At least our 64 cuda and 68 Fury III did

Cars built in the 80s had speedometers that topped out at 85... for some reason.
Probably because of the "gas saving" mandate of 55 mph speed limits on highways built fo 70 mph or greater. I use to drive from College Station to Walla Walla every summer in the n=mid 70s and the only tome anyone drove less than 70 was if the cb said smokie was around.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
jokershady
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

israeliag said:

RPM said:

Basically any scifi movie with screens/monitors/interfaces based on current technology at time it was filmed.
FIFY.

Those are some of the dumbest UIs, and why on Earth must they have those ticking, whizzing, churning sounds?

I can't think of many but Mr. Robot (sure not a movie) might be the only one to get it right.
Escape From New York, one of my favorites, was on last night, but I must admit to a big chuckle with Lee Van Cleef picked up that gargantuan cell phone to call Cronenberg to get over to the bridge to burn those bombs out of Snake's neck. Seriously, a phone the size of two bricks glued together, in 1997?

Had it in Mars Attacks which came out around that time as well I believe:

zgood10
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Cstrickland05 said:

If the aliens had never encountered water, how would they know it was bad for them? Same as the bacteria in War of the Worlds.
Why would you go through with a full scale invasion as an advanced species if you didn't know the environment beforehand?
When Mel Gibson goes out in the cornfield at night, how is the alien not screaming out in pain from the water vapor/mist?
gigemJTH12
AG
how about how in every movie these people wake up and just start making out with each other?

idk about yall, but that doesnt happen in my house without some brushing/mouthwash.
hurleyag
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Do Marty's parents wonder how their son looks just like that guy that helped them get together in high school, who also happened to be named Marty? Same for Biff, especially when Marty was trying to get the Almanac back from him at the dance and in the car afterwards.
They thought his name was Calvin Klein.
Counterpoint
AG
israeliag said:

RPM said:

Basically any scifi movie with screens/monitors/interfaces based on current technology at time it was filmed.
FIFY.

Those are some of the dumbest UIs, and why on Earth must they have those ticking, whizzing, churning sounds?

I can't think of many but Mr. Robot (sure not a movie) might be the only one to get it right.
Are you talking about that noise -- I don't even know how to describe it -- that happens when text appears on a computer screen? I HATE that!
BQ78
AG
Every IED has a countdown timer, no self respecting terrorist would do that.
TXAG 05
AG
JD05AG said:

Mox said he never played again and Kilmer never coached again, didn't say anything about the team not playing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

how about how in every movie these people wake up and just start making out with each other?

idk about yall, but that doesnt happen in my house without some brushing/mouthwash.

In happens in my house.
Burdizzo
AG
The scene in Stripes where John Ringer tries to escape from bootcamp and Russel stops him. In one angle the duffle bag is under Bill Murray's head. When the camera changes angles, the bag is off to the side.

Totally ruined the movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.