Dat stuff dat trouble you about da movies

48,742 Views | 452 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jonas really got a bad rap in Twister. He had the foresight to market a patentable technology that someone else abandoned. He was generally concerned about the well being of citizens and was hoping to get data to develop early warning systems for storms. At least he went out in a blaze of glory doing what he loved.
Cromagnum
AG
In Signs, why the hell would aliens attack a planet that is 3/4 covered by water when it is basically acid to them?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Azariah said:

Bruce Almighty said:

All the poor people killed on the Death Star.

A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms. All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.

Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was, Dominick "Babyface" Bambino's, the gangster.

The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine, and that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.

I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... **taps heart** not his wallet.
Wow
Never seen Clerks?
Corporal Punishment
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Forrest Gump: Jenny repeatedly leads on a mentally handicapped man for most of his life, spends years sharing needles and having casual sex in a time when that was basically a death warrant, then goes ahead and has sex with that mentally handicapped man, abandons him again, and only lets him back in her life when she is months away from an AIDS-soaked deathbed and in need of a wealthy dummy to pawn her kid off on.

She's the most evil character in movie history.

Boom. I despised her.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cromagnum said:

In Signs, why the hell would aliens attack a planet that is 3/4 covered by water when it is basically acid to them?
Probably because the number of planets that support life are like 1 in 10 billion.
Satellite of Love
YokelRidesAgain said:

Postulate 1: The Force allows one to manipulate gravity (witness Yoda lifting that giant ship up out of the swamp)

Postulate 2: Emperor Palpatine is a unquestioned master of the Force.

Thus, when Vader hurls him over the ledge, he should be able to use his Force powers to levitate himself and then proceed to cook both to death Skywalkers with Force lightning.

The trilogy then ends with the Emperor sitting in a chair watching his fleet crush the rebellion and muttering to himself about having to find a new apprentice. That would have made a much better setup for episodes 7-9.
Maybe to levitate items, you have to be in contact with a solid surface.
Flashdiaz
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

Probably because the number of planets that support life are like 1 in 10 billion.
it is literally like us going to a planet with acid oceans, acid rivers, acid rain where all life drinks acid and keeps acid readily available because it's needed for them to live.... and we show up and run around naked.
MASAXET
AG
The Rock (love the movie, despite this): why does Sean Connery have to time the flames to break into Alcatraz and then simply unlock a door from the inside to let in the rest of the assault team? If he knew his way around Alcatraz because of his breakout years earlier, he never would have had to learn the timing of those flames - he could've just opened that same door and walked out?
The Debt
You would walk around naked too if your skin was camouflage.
oh no
AG
maverick2076 said:

oh no said:

Atreyu's horse Artax sinks and drowns while they were crossing the swamp of sadness, presumably because the horse got sad... but Atreyu was screaming and crying about the death of his horse. Was he not also sad now? Why did he not sink?!

"The Nothing" was something. It was clouds and wind and such.

All that work for Atreyu and all that had to be done was the book reader had to give the empress a new name... and the empress already knew that before her minion sent Atreyu off on a long and dangerous quest for no reason --- and all that movie watching and the boy Bastian reading the book in the school's attic late at night during a storm (where's his dad by the way?) finally shouts out a new name for the empress and it's.... [inaudible]... ? WTF? Tell us what you named the *****, please.

The Neverending Story ended!
It is Moon Child. Read the book. The first movie ends about halfway through the book.
well... I thought I was, but I gotta say:
wangus12
AG
MASAXET said:

The Rock (love the movie, despite this): why does Sean Connery have to time the flames to break into Alcatraz and then simply unlock a door from the inside to let in the rest of the assault team? If he knew his way around Alcatraz because of his breakout years earlier, he never would have had to learn the timing of those flames - he could've just opened that same door and walked out?
Because if you simply walk out, you don't get to **** the prom queen
gigemJTH12
AG
when Lloyd and Harry didnt get on the bus with those bikini models at the end of the movie.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

it is literally like us going to a planet with acid oceans, acid rivers, acid rain where all life drinks acid and keeps acid readily available because it's needed for them to live.... and we show up and run around naked.

And if humanity was desperately trying to find a habital planet and that was all we could find, we'd take our chances with the planet as well. Now, as far as why aren't they wearing suits, that's a plot hole for sure, but the criticism for why are they on Earth is stupid.
AGinHI
AG
Taken 2

Dude should have stayed home.

Alien 3

Escape after your entire crew is killed

learn you outlived your daughter, return to space and escape with 1 Colonial Marine, a little girl, and half a Bishop after everyone else is killed

But they all die after you crash land on a prison planet with extremely violent offenders and discover you carry the embryo of a Queen xenomorph.

[Hudson]****in' A[/Hudson]

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Cromagnum said:

They were a planet out of food.
They were starving to death.
They found a planet with food (us).
They were desperate.

They had to resort to, in effect, a "smash and grab"....they all struck at the same time trying to grab as many of us as they could and run back to their ships with their prey. They knew the risks and that many wouldn't make it back (because they knew we'd fight), but they had no choice. They were starving and had their race to feed.
Flashdiaz
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Flashdiaz said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

And if humanity was desperately trying to find a habital planet and that was all we could find, we'd take our chances with the planet as well. Now, as far as why aren't they wearing suits, that's a plot hole for sure, but the criticism for why are they on Earth is stupid.
agree. all they needed was some sort of rain coat or a suit and they would have dominated. I wonder how many alien bodies a farmer would find when his sprinklers went off to water his crop.

They came here in complex space ships, i'm sure they could easily make camouflaged suits.

I actually liked most of that movie, just can't get over that glaring plot hole.
israeliag
AG
I just took it as an homage to War of the Worlds, with, essentially water (though really the bacteria in it), being the reason the aliens lose.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
WHY DOES THE CASUALTY COUNTER IN TERMINATOR 2 HAVE A DECIMAL PLACE???

jbanda
AG
Further, why does it need to display this information. Think of a terminator as a computer. The only reason a computer needs a monitor is to display calculated information to others.
Al Bula
AG
Basically any scifi movie with screens/monitors/interfaces based on current technology at time it was filmed.
Cancelled
AG
jbanda said:

Further, why does it need to display this information. Think of a terminator as a computer. The only reason a computer needs a monitor is to display calculated information to others.
Awesome.
The Debt
Speaking of terminator. I remember first seeing it when I was taking calculus. Why can't a super-computer do basic calculus and be accurate when it shoots?

I suppose the movie would be crap if it was an indestructible sniper.
chipotle
And why didn't they keep traveling further back in time to kill relatives?
Flashdiaz
AG
chipotle said:

And why didn't they keep traveling further back in time to kill relatives?
exactly. Third one should have had the terminator successfully kill the mother and ending John Conner. Which just opens the door for someone else to be the leader and highlighting that humanity doesn't rest on one person, rather, human nature is to survive, endure and lead... thus no amount of terminators will kill all the leaders because people will always step up to do what needs to be done.
israeliag
AG
RPM said:

Basically any scifi movie with screens/monitors/interfaces based on current technology at time it was filmed.
FIFY.

Those are some of the dumbest UIs, and why on Earth must they have those ticking, whizzing, churning sounds?

I can't think of many but Mr. Robot (sure not a movie) might be the only one to get it right.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Why go back in time and go after Conner when she's old enough to fight back?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Junkhead said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Azariah said:

Bruce Almighty said:

A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms. All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.

Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was, Dominick "Babyface" Bambino's, the gangster.

The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine, and that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.

I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... **taps heart** not his wallet.
Wow
Never seen Clerks?
Nope.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MEEN Ag 05 said:

WHY DOES THE CASUALTY COUNTER IN TERMINATOR 2 HAVE A DECIMAL PLACE???

The Cyberdyne system programmer coded that variable as a floating point integer.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
israeliag said:

RPM said:

FIFY.

Those are some of the dumbest UIs, and why on Earth must they have those ticking, whizzing, churning sounds?

I can't think of many but Mr. Robot (sure not a movie) might be the only one to get it right.
Escape From New York, one of my favorites, was on last night, but I must admit to a big chuckle with Lee Van Cleef picked up that gargantuan cell phone to call Cronenberg to get over to the bridge to burn those bombs out of Snake's neck. Seriously, a phone the size of two bricks glued together, in 1997?
MSFC Aggie
AG
israeliag said:

I just took it as an homage to War of the Worlds, with, essentially water (though really the bacteria in it), being the reason the aliens lose.
This always bugged me. All that technology (in both the old and new versions), and they couldn't defend against bacteria, or know it would be a problem? And yes, I know that's the way it happened in the book...but we are talking about the movies here.
fig96
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Champ Bailey said:

Bruce Almighty said:

And it happened twice. And then there was starkiller base.
Only applies to the Death Star in Jedi, as the other two were fully operational military complexes, not active construction sites, so any workers would have fully known what they were getting into by being in a potential war zone.
Also worth noting that they willingly wiped out their own troops at the end of Rogue One. #TrustNoOne
jeffk
AG
The implausibility of pretty much every big play in most feel-good sports movies.
Carlo4
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Daniel Laruso starts hitting on Johnny's girlfriend and then soaks the dude with a hose while he's sitting on the toilet (rolling a joint). He deserved his ass kicking. I love the movie, but I always thought Johnny Lawrence got a bad rap. He even proved he was kind hearted after he lost the match to Laruso.
And here is the music video that follows the events post "Sweep the Leg"

TDAggie
AG
Tombstone. One of my favorite movies.

How in the world did Doc beat Wyatt to the big oak tree to duel Johnny Ringo? Even if Doc wasn't "quite as sick as I made out", it's always bothered me that he goes from coughing up blood in bed to somehow passing Wyatt on the trail and getting there with enough time to have the epic back and forth and then the gunfight.

I guess Wyatt was just shuffling his feet on the way there.

When Wyatt was mourning Morgan's death on the main street of Tombstone, he was standing in the middle of a torrential downpour. Problem being, the rain was only falling on Wyatt's head. No rain hitting the street in the background.
Carlo4
AG
Dark Knight Rises - the ENTIRE police department goes underground and is trapped by Bane. Cops are trapped for about 6 months underneath the city living in the sewers. They walk out clean shaven and in good health... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?!?!

Shawshank - how does Andy attach the poster to the wall AFTER leaving...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.