*** ALIEN: COVENANT *** (Prometheus Sequel / Alien Prequel)

64,302 Views | 494 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
HeardAboutPerio
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I played with a screen shot to brighten it up:

Definitely looks like humanoid figures.

Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

2. Black goo, when ingested by a human and spread through sexual intercourse, creates a FACEHUGGER in the female human. (In Prometheus, the facehugger would have likely burst from Shaw's womb if she didn't c-section it first.)
Not sure if it matters, but the facehugger that was created inside of Shaw was way different than any other facehugger we'd seen in the Alien universe. It was huge. And the Xenomorph that burst from the chest of the engineer at the very end of Prometheus looked different to me than your average Xenomorph, much more human-like.
HeadGames
AG
I thought I recalled reading that Queens evolve from a warrior if there is no queen around. Perhaps that was from Alien lore that was unofficial.

I think y'all are thinking too hard on the different xenomorphs. I just look at it as weapons engineers make, maybe an apt comparison would be a car dealership, they sell cars, but there are different models and packages. Same goes with engineers, they got a lot of xenomorph models. Maybe a queen Alien is just their Audi R8 package with all the bells and whistles, and a warrior is just their VW bug.
Duncan Idaho
redline248 said:

It's rated R

Joke. See the vidangel thread for context.
Phat32
AG
HtownAg92
AG
Quote:

I thought I recalled reading that Queens evolve from a warrior if there is no queen around. Perhaps that was from Alien lore that was unofficial.
This would make sense with regards to the original two movies. The Nostromo investigates a signal coming from a dead engineer's ship, and find a chest-bursted engineer in the cockpit. There is a cargo of eggs, one facehugger attaches, they take it back to the ship and it kills the crew. The whereabouts of the original chestburster that killed the engineer is unknown.

Fast forward 50 years and the planet has been colonized. Send in the marines, they find colony overrun with xexomorphs. Ripley and Newt encounter a queen, laying eggs. She could have been that original burster that killed the engineer and adapted from a regular soldier.
TCTTS
AG

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-engineers-prometheus-connection/
Quote:

But there's something larger at work here, too. If there was one thing that was made abundantly clear throughout the conversations on set, it's that Covenant, like Prometheus, is very much rooted in the idea of creation myths. Who created David? Man. Who created man? The Engineers. But who created the Engineers? And what comes next in the chain? What does man's creation create? Covenant is a film that looks to tell a broad-scale creation myth both backward and forwards at the same time. While it brings us closer to the events of Alien, to the birth of the biomechanical Xenomorph we all know and love, it also continues to look back at the story of human creation a story we don't understand nearly as well as we think we do from the story we were told in Prometheus.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-prometheus/#poster
Quote:

"It shouldn't have really ended, so we've come back with a very simple idea. Who made them? No one ever asked that question. [Alien] was just about there it is; it exists. And this is what it is. Seven guys and gals in a steel hull. Frankly, the very old idea of The Old Dark House. Who's gonna die next? The fundamental basis of Alien was a pretty old B-movie, but because of the cast and talent involved it came out an A+ movie. So we've reinvented the idea of Alien, I think, which is that Covenant gets us a step closer to who and why was this thing designed to make human beings. And if you think it's them [the Engineers], you're dead wrong."

http://www.slashfilm.com/alien-covenant-prometheus-2/
Quote:

"That's always Ridley's thing: leave a question open, so you get them back next time. At the end of Prometheus, there were questions people wanted answered there and they are going to get some of those answers in this movie and we'll leave a few different questions for the next one."
TCTTS
AG
Some really good stuff in these articles.
West Point Aggie
AG
The most excited I have been about a movie since Star Trek in 2009!!!
redline248
AG
Based on that blurb from Scott, seems like David is the most likely answer to who created the xeno we see in Alien.
AgMarauder04
AG
redline248 said:

Based on that blurb from Scott, seems like David is the most likely answer to who created the xeno we see in Alien.
Wonder if we'll see a Nostromo lead in at the end?
TCTTS
AG
We're not that far yet. There are apparently one or two more movies after Covenant before we're "caught up."
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redline248 said:

In AVP, at the end when a chest burster came out of the dead predator, wasn't it different somehow from the ones that come out of the humans?

Like someone else stated, that chestburster had the look of a predator, ie, the mandibles that are prominent on the predator.

Go back to Alien 3. The set-up for that movie was that the queen that chased Ripley and Newt to the drop ship had somehow laid an egg (nevermind the lack of an egg sac, which Ripley had destroyed with the pulse rifle), and that egg had produced a face hugger which impregnated Ripley. Actually, thinking about it now, there must have been multiple eggs because there was still a live face hugger in the escape pod that crashed onto Fiorina 161 - that one got the dog that was barking while the humans were going through the escape pod remains.

Fast forward a bit, the chestburster emerges from the dog and later, when the full-grown xenomorph is running around, it has some dog characteristics in the way it runs. It is running on all fours, not like the critters did in the air shaft in Aliens but actually on all four appendages.

The alien takes on characteristics of the host organism from which it spawns.

Now for a question - at the end of AvP, that alien queen is connected to a water tower and shoved into the ocean, drowning - except that it is well known that aliens can survive in the vacuum of space, so a reasonable assumption is could they survive the crushing depths at the bottom of an ocean? If that is true then might that queen have laid an egg which could then release a face hugger to get a hold of an octopus? I might actually enjoy that movie.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, I wouldn't put much stock in anything that happened after Aliens when it comes to any of the biology/species/scientific stuff.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

We're not that far yet. There are apparently one or two more movies after Covenant before we're "caught up."
I mean, I'm glad, but timeline wise, I'm surprised, as it seems like our xenomorphs are about the type we all know and love by this one.
titanmaster_race
*puts on BCGs*

Surviving in a zero pressure environment is far different from surviving with the entire weight of the ocean pressing all around you.

Although....I guess it's not about the absolute pressure, it's about the relative pressure between the alien's insides and its environment. It can survive a positive pressure difference (internal pressure greater than external pressure), but can it survive a negative pressure difference?
OnlyForNow
AG
We know they can be injured and killed due to pressure differences, that's basically what a bullet is doing its exerting a lot of force at one single point. The ocean would certainly smash a xenomorph to bits. Space is the opposite there is no pressure, and you're more likely to explode.
bedofbrass33
AG
Those articles are great and it sounds like people are going to get the xenomorphs they wanted from Prometheus.

I actually liked Prometheus a lot because there were so many hints at the xenomorphs but they weren't the main antagonist. Granted I'm a huge fan of getting a full mythology for a particular universe. Tolkien spoiled me.

I think this prequel trilogy is going to be a great tie in and folks will appreciate what Prometheus was setting up when it is all said and done.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

I think this prequel trilogy is going to be a great tie in and folks will appreciate what Prometheus was setting up when it is all said and done.

Really hoping that's the case.
Belton Ag
AG
I'm really interested to find out of the entire race of engineers has been killed off by the Xenomorphs or the goo. Based on what I'm seeing that's my assumption.
Max Power
AG
redline248 said:

David appears essential to this entire set of films as it definitely looks like he's ultimately responsible. The ones we see in this film aren't exactly the xenomorph we are used to in Alien and Aliens. The ones in the trailers are more organic in appearance, where the xenomorphy is biomechanical. Perhaps he ultimately crosses android "DNA" with his creations.

That picture of the city is pretty incredible and haunting. Really curious if they were dead prior to David's arrival, or if he had something to do with their demise. The ship had enough goo to poison an entire planet, and maybe that's what he did, creating an entire planet that's his own laboratory.

If he sent the distress signal, which is most likely, what was his goal?
-Get a ship there and leave?
-Use his experiments to kill humans, because he can?
-Needs test subjects?
Phat32
AG
So would a xeno not attack him because he's not organic?
TCTTS
AG
That's kind of what I was thinking. I wonder if they leave him alone, and if so, because he's not organic. Then again, he's partly organic, isn't he?
Sapper Redux
TCTTS said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I wonder if they leave him alone, and if so, because he's not organic. Then again, his partly organic, isn't he?

Didn't help Bishop...
TCTTS
AG
That's right. Forgot about that.
Jason Ag
AG
Bishop was more advanced maybe that matters, and the alien could have established him as a threat based on his actions.
DB Coach
AG
You have to really see it in motion, but I'm almost 100% sure those are Engineers. As what is assumed to be David walks by, the nearest ones to him are comparatively much bigger.
OnlyForNow
AG
I agree even in the still the closest one to the robed figure is huge and while human like not human dimensions.
hurleyag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Now for a question - at the end of AvP, that alien queen is connected to a water tower and shoved into the ocean, drowning - except that it is well known that aliens can survive in the vacuum of space, so a reasonable assumption is could they survive the crushing depths at the bottom of an ocean? If that is true then might that queen have laid an egg which could then release a face hugger to get a hold of an octopus? I might actually enjoy that movie.
Sounds like a SciFi channel movie begging to be made. MegaShark vs Alienpus
AgMarauder04
AG
You laugh, but I think a poster here works for that company that takes megablockbusters and copies them for direct to video
MSFC Aggie
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

You laugh, but I think a poster here works for that company that takes megablockbusters and copies them for direct to video

SteadiCam, right?
AgMarauder04
AG
Something like that.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS
AG
Aliens vs Idiots
Max Power
AG
You forgot to put Space next to each of them, which would have made it the best sequence of B movie titles in history.

Alien vs Space Truckers (a solid B movie title)
Aliens vs Space Marines (solid B movie sequel, more Aliens, more action)
Alien vs Space Convicts (continuing the trend)
Aliens vs Space Pirates (this one was obviously the money grab, meh)
Aliens vs Space Idiots (now we're talking, this is how you market a film)
Aliens vs Space Couples (definitely makes you root for the Aliens, for some reason I feel like all the Space Couples should die, probably because the opening credits have the Friends theme playing in the background)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.