*** ALIEN: COVENANT *** (Prometheus Sequel / Alien Prequel)

64,318 Views | 494 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wasn't there a big hologram with the old dude in Prometheus?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but this one - if a hologram - seems way more detailed. That, and I don't how a hologram could have a reflection. It's no big deal, and I'm giving it way too much thought, was just curious.
Max Power
AG
I don't know that David had any part of it. This could be an interaction between Walter and Weyland. I think this could be one of the earliest interactions between Weyland and an android where they are being instructed on their job. It wasn't till Bishop showed up in Aliens that the androids were programmed to not harm humans.

This could be a pretty dark scene considering what David did in Prometheus, but I'm not convinced that his actions are 100% instructed, some of what he said in that film was indicative of thought and borderline free will.

Regarding the size of the ship and potential size of crew, I believe this is the first of a trilogy leading up to the original Alien so there are potentially future cast members on the ship that we don't even see on this movie...or they hit the reset button again after this one.

I am concerned about time though, Ridley is getting up there in age and these aren't exactly quick turnaround films with the amount of effects involved. If it were a trilogy if he is going to direct them all they should have considered a tighter time frame unless the studio needs this to make money to pull the trigger.
OnlyForNow
AG
How do we even know that is David in the picture?
redline248
AG
Somehow I read this thread initially without ever watching the trailer. I would assume this is the (soon to be) failed mission that alerts the weyland-yutani group to the existence of the Aliens?

Wonder if we will see the Engineers ever again.
Jason Ag
AG
redline248 said:

Somehow I read this thread initially without ever watching the trailer. I would assume this is the (soon to be) failed mission that alerts the weyland-yutani group to the existence of the Aliens? you mean the xenomorphs?

Wonder if we will see the Engineers ever again.

A theory is that David has set up some type of "secret lab" and has been experimenting and probably comunicating with W-Y. Which, could mean we get to see the first xeno.

Regarding the engineers I think that it doesn't seem that the engineers wanted/intended the goo to be perverted/missused as a weapon. I think that even they couldn't escape Murphy's law and that the goo ended up killing them in some way. The old extinction by your own invention type of thing...which will be used to foreshadow the efforts above.

I don't have any inside information on the above "spoilers", just don't post here often. I may have read another spoiler previously and forgot though, so to be safe.
TCTTS
AG
New poster. New trailer drops tomorrow...

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Just went back and checked and there are definitely two ships; the bigger, massive one floating through space and then approaching the planet, but then a group definitely takes a different, smaller ship to the surface. So the theory holds water...

In Alien, we first see the ship Nostromo from afar, but what is the actual ship is only a tiny part of what we see. The biggest portion was the refinery they were towing. The Nostromo dis-engages from the refinery to set down on the planet where John Hurt brings back their new best friend. In this one it could be a similar set-up with a towboat, essentially, hauling the cryo ship to this new planet. Guess we'll find out in May ...
TCTTS
AG
I have no idea why no other sites have run with this yet (literally no one on Twitter is talking about it yet), or why the new trailer is debuting through such a sh*tty player (maybe because it's a day early?), but here we go, and it looks awesome. Will post a YouTube version when it's available...

https://thefilmstage.com/trailer/new-trailer-for-ridley-scotts-alien-covenant-features-a-xenomorph-attack/
israeliag
AG
I must retire from this thread. Peace.
TCTTS
AG
Because of a trailer?
jabberwalkie09
AG
HOLY *****

Looks like survival horror in space genre is back.
TCTTS
AG
Easier version to play...

TCTTS
AG
Whatever this is, it looks amazing. A hooded David walking through what could be an entire field of xenomorphs or something...

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Life long monster movie nut. There is at least one photo of me with a freaking baby bottle as an infant sitting with my dad while watching a monster movie on TV. He took me to see Alien when I was 12. That movie messed me up - literally the scariest movie I have ever seen (and I've seen The Exorcist, Poltergeist, Paranormal Activity and other such movies, Alien beats them all). This trailer looks fantastic. Gorgeous cinematography in many of those shots. Then there's the monster stuff, which at least feels much more evocative of the original movie than any of those that have followed. Really looking forward to this.
TCTTS
AG
I could be way off base, but I'm starting to get the impression that David is basically responsible for creating the xenomorphs, and at his own volition. I can't remember how it went in Prometheus, though. Where did the facehuger come from that attached itself to the Engineer close to the end and then spawned that first xenomorph in the final scene? Did David have something to do with that? He was obviously and maliciously "experimenting" with the human crew, but I can't remember the exact details beyond that.

Either way, it seems that in Covenant, David's had ten years on this planet to basically make it his lab, and I wonder if the xenomorphs are essentially his "pets"/creation? Was there anything in Prometheus that actually pointed to the Engineers creating the xenomorphs, or was that just an assumption we made? Were the Engineers messing with that black goop for another, unnamed purpose? All I really remember is that final Engineer who they woke up from cryo in the end was apparently on his way to destroy humanity on Earth (and that Christ may, in fact, have been an engineer whom humanity killed, hence the impending destruction of humanity).
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Where did the facehuger come from that attached itself to the Engineer close to the end and then spawned that first xenomorph in the final scene?
Pretty sure that facehugger is what was removed from the chicks gut during the c-section.

Also, I've never had issues with the Aliens, but **** the facehuggers. Those thing might creep me out more than anything else in film
TCTTS
AG
Ok, so David DID essentially create the facehugger. He took that black goo, experimented with it, put it in Shaw's boyfriend's drink, Shaw and her boyfriend had sex, then she c-sectioned the facehugger out in that super tense/gross scene. Forgot about that. Yeah, then David is definitely the mastermind here.

I hate to admit it, but this is all kind of making me appreciate Prometheus a bit more. But only a bit.

(And I'm right there with you on those facehuggers. They creep me out more than just about anything.)
TCTTS
AG
Boom. Fox's hand has now officially been forced a day early...

AgMarauder04
AG
Oh my sweet lord.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Ok, so David DID essentially create the facehugger. He took that black goo, experimented with it, put it in Shaw's boyfriend's drink, Shaw and her boyfriend had sex, then she c-sectioned the facehugger out in that super tense/gross scene. Forgot about that. Yeah, then David is definitely the mastermind here.

I hate to admit it, but this is all kind of making me appreciate Prometheus a bit more. But only a bit.

(And I'm right there with you on those facehuggers. They creep me out more than just about anything.)
Chestbusters. That scene in Alien.....
TCTTS
AG
Chestbusters are just baby xenomorphs, right? What are you saying?
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Chestbusters are just baby xenomorphs, right? What are you saying?
I think that's right, and it was more that I find them more creepy than the facehuggers.
GCRanger
AG
Looks awesome. But so did Prometheus, hopefully no plot hole and bad writing in this one.

OnlyForNow
AG
Nice! Makes me think that the larger ship is defintely full of other humans and that if there are that many xenomorphs, they take it over.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, she says "large scale colonization mission." Didn't catch that before.
AgMarauder04
AG
Weren't the engineers headed to earth to wipe it out with the black goo?
OnlyForNow
AG
BUT, I don't know if that is what it is.

The ship flying all crazy at the end of the trailer is a huge flat bed "hauler" ship. Just a big flat platform basically. That shot COULD be one of those ships with something on it, we don't really see it's size reference.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I know they were headed to Earth, I just couldn't remember if they had the black goo with them ready to go or not.
AgMarauder04
AG
I recently read a plot recap to get caught up and that's my interpretation.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I recently read a plot recap to get caught up and that's my interpretation.
A line from Prometheus comes to mind, and I can't remember who said it, that the place they found in the movie was like a weapons depot or a military lab. I can buy that if they were departing from that planet to wipe out Earth with the goo.
redline248
AG
Wasn't the ship the Engineer tried to leave on at first full of "eggs," also?
TCTTS
AG
So the black goo was basically a virus-like substance that Engineers were going to use to wipe out all of humanity? But then David took a sample, did something to it, and somehow created a facehugger via human reproduction? Or was the black goo always intended by the Engineers to create facehuggers on Earth via human reproduction? I guess that's what I'm still confused about, and we may purposely not know yet.
AGinHI
AG
I was 13 when I saw Aliens. It was as memorable for me as my first movie--Star Wars. It's my favorite all time movie and one I catch every year.

I've had high hopes for the sequels and have been disappointed. Nothing has measured up to Alien and Aliens.

This new trailer doesn't give me much faith, maybe it's the cgi alien, maybe it's hanging off the spaceship--just because you can create all these amazing scenes digitally doesn't mean you should--maybe it's the convoluted engineers creating a bioweapon story--does every thing need an explanation?--and then there's the alien bouncing from wall to wall.

Nothing ominous. Nothing new to elicit curiosity or excitement. Just another let's wow them with visuals.

It's only exciting because we all love the original two and are overjoyed that we can continue to experience the Alien universe.

We'll watch. Say it was good--because it's an Alien movie--and as time goes on come to the realization that it was ok--maybe even bad--certainly nothing memorable.

That's my fear anyway.

I've been waiting 30 years.
TCTTS
AG
They weren't eggs. They were more like large canisters, each filled with the black goo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.