*** ALIEN: COVENANT *** (Prometheus Sequel / Alien Prequel)

64,335 Views | 494 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wish he'd done a proper sequel to Prometheus rather than going back to just another Alien movie.

I know a lot of people didn't like it but I absolutely loved Prometheus.

Same here...
MaroonStain
AG
From the reviews, it sounds like I am going to enjoy this movie!!!

By the way, why are some fools calling this horror? That's retreaded. To me it's a sci-fi alien series.
Bruce Almighty
AG
MaroonStain said:

From the reviews, it sounds like I am going to enjoy this movie!!!

By the way, why are some fools calling this horror? That's retreaded. To me it's a sci-fi alien series.

The first Alien is a sci-fi horror film.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Alien is a sci-fi movie with elements of horror.
MaroonStain
AG
I do not agree.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I liked Prometheus on initial watch, it's not until I started reading "alien dogma" and amateur movie reviews on TexAgs that I had any cause for quibbles or doubts. Just like Star Wars prequels have been ridiculed and criticized into taboo...

Well, I still like and will watch the prequels (yes there is some **** in there for nitpickers but I will watch them)... I stil really like Prometheus. I will definitely watch this and probably really enjoy it. Until TexAgs tries to get me to hate it, which I hope I can avoid.
The Collective
AG
I think genre is in the eye of the beholder on this series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

More horror movie with elements of sci-fi. IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just to clarify - I LOVE Alien. It's a great movie and maybe even my favorite of the series. But with Covenant it seems like Ridley is just doing what the audience was clamoring for after Prometheus, rather than the whatever the next chapter of the Prometheus story was.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

More horror movie with elements of sci-fi. IMO.
We are each entitled to our opinions here. Regardless it is a great movie, IMO the greatest of its type ever made bar none. Also happens to be the scariest movie I have ever seen, which stems from its horror/terror elements.
Duncan Idaho
SpreadsheetAg said:

I liked Prometheus on initial watch, it's not until I started reading "alien dogma" and amateur movie reviews on TexAgs that I had any cause for quibbles or doubts. Just like Star Wars prequels have been ridiculed and criticized into taboo...

Well, I still like and will watch the prequels (yes there is some **** in there for nitpickers but I will watch them)... I stil really like Prometheus. I will definitely watch this and probably really enjoy it. Until TexAgs tries to get me to hate it, which I hope I can avoid.

You start off ok then you go full ******. There is nothing redeeming about the star wars prequels. Literally nothing. The were boring, unnecessarily complex, lacked convincing characters, horrible action sequences, then an over-reliance and CGI which gave it a flat two-dimensional feel.

Prometheus was entertaining, looked good and was fun.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sorry I made you mad, but I don't hate the prequels. I hate the idea of trying to explain the force, and of a woman not knowing she was pregnant with twins in a world of star fighters and hyperspace, and that same woman dying of a broken heart... sure...

Do I think the could've been done a lot better? Yes. Will I still watch them? Yes.
Jason Ag
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Sorry I made you mad, but I don't hate the prequels. I hate the idea of trying to explain the force, and of a woman not knowing she was pregnant with twins in a world of star fighters and hyperspace, and that same woman dying of a broken heart... sure...

Do I think the could've been done a lot better? Yes. Will I still watch them? Yes.

As long as you watch them in the theater the first time, I'm good.
FTA03
AG
I'm hoping the next movie in this series is set between Alien and Aliens, during the 50 years Ripley is floating thru space. Maybe explain how they wound up on LB426.
West Point Aggie
AG
Spoiler at the very end of this clip...don't watch if you'd rather wait!

Max Power
AG
Fun 360 video for your iPad.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
This is from boxofficemojo:

Quote:

Here's a look at the top performing markets and how this opening compares to Prometheus:

• South Korea - $7.2m (+52.58% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • United Kingdom - $6.4m (-39.85% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • France - $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Australia - $3.09m (-79.40% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Mexico - $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Spain - $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Hong Kong - $1.76m (+17.24% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Brazil - $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Italy - $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)

Now, I don't know what to make of this, I just find it interesting. It opened in 19 foreign markets and of the top 9, in all but two of those markets it opened significantly lower than Prometheus did.

In EARLY tracking numbers (two weeks old, so....), Covenant is looking at a $30 million opening and wasn't expected to overtake Guardians in it's third week. Yikes.

I really hope this movie doesn't suck.
SeattleAgJr
Outside of a few diehard fans, no one wanted this movie. Ridley was the driver of this. Somehow he has become the caretaker of the series.

I would bet that had the studio helped Neil B develop his true Aliens sequel, it would have a hell had of a lot more buzz and box office.
TXCityAggie
AG
I was never into the Alien movies, but I went to this one yesterday because it seemed to be the only decent option. The first half or so was entertaining enough. Then it just got boring. I fell asleep a couple of times. Blah.
White Liberals=The Worst
Prometheus was very solid. I never understood the hate for it.
Bobcat06
AG
I blame the shortcomings Prometheus on Damon Lindelof. Everything Lindelof touches has major plot holes.

Covenant will be better than Prometheus simply because Lindelof is not attached.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Outside of a few diehard fans, no one wanted this movie. Ridley was the driver of this. Somehow he has become the caretaker of the series.
I am one of those die hard fans of the first two. I never have thought that Alien is the type of movie to become a series. Far too limited in scope in terms of the story you can tell because at the end of the day, you are going to have the familiar story of a bunch of people trapped with a creature that they cannot kill. The original movie grossed roughly $80M, Aliens tooks in about $85M. Certainly those numbers are successful takes for movies such as these but do these grosses really indicate there is a clamoring for many more Alien movies?

Prometheus took in roughly $127M in an era of higher ticket prices and the huge multi-plex theaters, neither of which those first two movies had. I think Prometheus has a heck of a lot of unrealized potential, but if they could tap into what I think they were really driving at with that movie, they may have a foundation for a decent series. I'm not sure that Alien Covenant will do what they intended with the idea behind Prometheus, but then, I have not yet seen AC. I will definitely see it this Friday, and I truly hope to enjoy it.

And if this series does need a caretaker, I can't think of anyone better qualified than Ridley Scott.
Max Power
AG
Currently sitting at 76% and certified fresh on RT, while Prometheus is at 72%. While that might not sound like much of an improvement Guardians Vol. 2 is at 81% comparatively and thats one of the best things I've seen this year along with Logan.

I still have high hopes and I'm going this weekend for sure. The first trailer that came out for Christmas is still one of the best trailers I've ever seen, it's basically perfect. I do think they've let out more information than they should have, but I'm still in.
SeattleAgJr
maca1028
Anyone seeing this tonight?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Not until 10am tomorrow.
TCTTS
AG
Saturday afternoon for me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bought advance tickets a few weeks ago to tonight's 7pm showing.

Then remembered tonight is my wedding anniversary. I'll try and catch it this weekend.
Simplebay
AG
Just got out, it's a hit. Great flick.

So they ripped a lot off (tha clawwww)...but the blending of Alien and Prometheus somehow worked. Have some spoilers after the weekend is over ie the END.

The ensemble cast is really quite good. Liked the characters and the acting was strong. Couldve spent a little more tome with them. And Fassbender, well it's only a matter of time until his Oscar.

Go see it. And I hated Prometheus at first FYI, which later grew on me, but man they did a great job making this look like it was all planned out.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome to hear.
maca1028
Nice write up, can't wait to see it!
AGinHI
AG
Max Power said:

Currently sitting at 76% and certified fresh on RT, while Prometheus is at 72%. While that might not sound like much of an improvement Guardians Vol. 2 is at 81% comparatively and thats one of the best things I've seen this year along with Logan.

I still have high hopes and I'm going this weekend for sure. The first trailer that came out for Christmas is still one of the best trailers I've ever seen, it's basically perfect. I do think they've let out more information than they should have, but I'm still in.
67% audience on RT

That's telling. When a movie is really good, like Logan for example, everyone is singing its praises (yes, I'm awaiting a movie that can rival the first two, not just an average somewhat enjoyable movie).

Many of the audience reviews confirm my suspicions. I'll wait to hear what y'all have to say.

Simplebay
AG
This doesn't surprise me. It's not quite Alien, but does have a lot more Alien feel but never fully quite gets there. (the blending of the music of the two movies is done really well, it even factors into the plot.) But the movie is not quite Prometheus, ties up the story (i thought a messy story handed over from Prometheus) quite nicely. But it never quite gets full philosophy/weird there.

This movie has as a foot in each movie forefathers, but could isolate fans of either. For me, this blend worked. I went in expecting full on Alien, but instead we got half and half which i enjoyed. It doesn't set any new ground, but it's a well made, GORGEOUS movie, with a real impressive action setpiece, and Fassbender will absolutely blow you away and carries the movie. New lead-ish girl is decent too, hell even Danny McBride did well.

The CGI on the aliens was a bit too heavy-handed, borderline distracting... but it just felt satisfying to me, and actually made me want to see more of this universe. Something Alien Resurrection or AVP didn't do.
AGinHI
AG
Simplebay said:

NThis doesn't surprise me. It's not quite Alien, but does have a lot more Alien feel but never fully quite gets there. (the blending of the music of the two movies is done really well, it even factors into the plot.) But the movie is not quite Prometheus, ties up the story (i thought a messy story handed over from Prometheus) quite nicely. But it never quite gets full philosophy/weird there.

This movie has as a foot in each movie forefathers, but could isolate fans of either. For me, this blend worked. I went in expecting full on Alien, but instead we got half and half which i enjoyed. It doesn't set any new ground, but it's a well made, GORGEOUS movie, with a real impressive action setpiece, and Fassbender will absolutely blow you away and carries the movie. New lead-ish girl is decent too, hell even Danny McBride did well.

Thanks for the summary. Your honest description has given me some hope and am considering watching it in the theater. From what you've stated, I could probably estimate what it is and what it isn't.

Quote:

The CGI on the aliens was a bit too heavy-handed, borderline distracting... but it just felt satisfying to me, and actually made me want to see more of this universe. Something Alien Resurrection or AVP didn't do.

The cgi bothers me. Especially at a time when Star Wars has proven realism and an awesome movie can be achieved with less character cgi.

I tried watching Alien 3 again last night and I just couldn't. I find the whole back story ridiculous. It's like fans are so enthralled with the Alien universe that you can pull any script out of a hat, throw in an alien and voila, knowing we'll suspend belief because we want the story to continue. We want to see more of the iconic alien.

I've never bothered with Alien Resurrection or AVP.
MaroonStain
AG
I am going to try and see this tomorrow. I get the feeling that the Engineers brought the Aliens into existence then Aliens wiped out the Engineers?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.