*** ALIEN: COVENANT *** (Prometheus Sequel / Alien Prequel)

64,015 Views | 494 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Just watched on HBO for the first time.

What was the white, bibedal alien that Oran killed and set David off? Was it the result of the spore infecting the bearded soldier, or something else?

For some reason, I don't get the feeling David attacked the engineers to protect humanity. I could just have been reading that incorrectly, though.
It was either the critter that resulted from the bearded soldier or the dude who stayed with the gal doing the biological testing at that pond (the one who "birthed" the back burster).

David was not interested in protecting humanity. He actually States at some point that humanity doesn't deserve to survive. He sees himself as a god and is thus experimenting with genetics in an effort to create new life forms. At least this is my take on it based on the movie and having read the movie novelization.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Huge fan of the franchise, but as with most movies these days outside of Star Wars, I waited to catch it on directv. Entertaining but very flawed - some of it laughably (the shower scene). Fassbender was good. Danny McBride was ok. Most of the rest were just crap. Lack of suspense as they became alien fodder + not giving 2 ****s about any of them was a bad combo. A 70ish % rotten tomatoes rating seems about right.

I think one of the major failings was the protagonist they wanted us to care about was written with no personality - Daniels. Also probably didn't help that I wanted to yell "BEDSIDE TABLE! ON THE KANGAROO!" at her.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I assume you mean this.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdyne_Systems
No, I ran across some article somewhere that went into all of the details behind this. So many months ago I don't remember the details.
Al Bula
AG
Finally watched this. I must say David the paranoid android being the creator of the xenomorph was a big letdown. I guess they did such a good job of building the most terrifying movie alien up of all time that it was a chore to explain how we got there. All in all it was entertaining.
HtownAg92
AG
Late to the party, just watched on HBO. Enjoyed it, seemed to get back to the original horror more.

Something I do not get. So from 10 years after Prometheus (and maybe before?), humans are colonizing and terra-farming distant planets and moons, and running into these xenos. The Nostromo goes to a planet where a jockey has crashed with some xenos. Ripley goes into hypersleep for 50+ years and is finally discovered. In the meantime, a colony goes offline. Obviously, colonies and terra-farming continue during Ripley's float. Marines go to investigate.

Question: How did the company, marines, etc. not know anything about the xenos? Ripley was the source of all information - acid for blood, face-hugging, etc.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Late to the party, just watched on HBO. Enjoyed it, seemed to get back to the original horror more.

Something I do not get. So from 10 years after Prometheus (and maybe before?), humans are colonizing and terra-farming distant planets and moons, and running into these xenos. The Nostromo goes to a planet where a jockey has crashed with some xenos. Ripley goes into hypersleep for 50+ years and is finally discovered. In the meantime, a colony goes offline. Obviously, colonies and terra-farming continue during Ripley's float. Marines go to investigate.

Question: How did the company, marines, etc. not know anything about the xenos? Ripley was the source of all information - acid for blood, face-hugging, etc.
The Company did know something of the xenomorphs, although we never get an explanation as to how they knew. In the original movie, it is revealed via the on-board AI Mother that the android Ash was placed aboard the Nostromo to ensure the safe return of an alien specimen, with no consideration given to the crew's safety. Presumably the Company knew because they had detected and translated the same signal that brought the Nostromo's return voyage to Earth to a stop to investigate.

If I recall right, Ripley discovers that Burke had initiated events that led to the colony being decimated and the Marines being sent to investigate, likely all based on Riply's testimony during the corporate investigation into the destruction of the Nostromo.

Prometheus gave us some background on the "space jockeys" - the engineers, and if I read Covenant correctly, the android David seems to be largely responsible for continuing what it believed was their work in genetic engineering to create what we know as the alien.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.