*** ALIEN: COVENANT *** (Prometheus Sequel / Alien Prequel)

64,301 Views | 494 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
HeadGames
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The original script for alien 3 was way cooler, made more sense. Alien 3 would have been cool if they didn't kill off Hicks.
Jason Ag
AG
You talking about this?

Quote:

In one early concept, Giler and Hill envisioned a story which would take place over two films. In the first, Michael Biehn would take the lead as Hicks, while Ripley would spend the entirety of the story in hypersleep and Newt would be sent back to the safety of Earth. The second film would have seen Ripley revived for another fight with her mortal enemy, the aliens.

Although Giler and Hill's specific plans for Alien 4 remain hazy, their ideas for Alien 3 were explored at length, with famed SF writer William Gibson hired to write two drafts of the script.

Gibson's version of the story sees the Sulaco picked up by an insular colony of people calling themselves The Union of Progressive Peoples. A communist group locked in a cold war with Weyland-Yutani, the UPP live on a remote station "the size of a small moon". Having boarded the Sulaco, the UPP find and capture the damaged remains of Bishop, before sending the ship on its way when they're attacked by a facehugger hidden in Bishop's hypersleep chamber.

The Sulaco is subsequently brought back to Anchorpoint, an outpost in an area of space owned by Weyland-Yutani. Hicks is awakened to learn that he's in the middle of a diplomatic crisis: the Sulaco's brief presence in UPP-controlled space being enough, it seems, to trigger the spectre of all-out war. Meanwhile, the seemingly omnipresent alien is about to introduce some complications of its own: the UPP have acquired xenomorph DNA, and recognise that it could be turned into a deadly weapon.

Weyland-Yutani, of course, are keen to harness the power of the alien themselves, and begin to fraternise with its DNA in the hope of creating a weapon of their own. Inevitably, their experiments go wrong, and Anchorpoint is quickly overwhelmed by screeching aliens.

Gibson's first draft for Alien 3 contains a number of new ideas - such as infectious gas seeping from alien eggs, and a new form of queen that also emits a gassy mutagen - but certain portions of the story read like fairly straight retreads of scenes from Alien. Towards the end of the script, Hicks leads a group of barely-trained young Colonial Marines into an alien nest, where they fight the flatulent queen mentioned above.

It's a violent, chaotic script, and probably too expensive for Fox to have committed to film in the late 1980s. Certainly, Gibson's second Alien III draft reduced the scale significantly, cutting down the number of aliens (the queen and grunt Colonial Marines are absent), and altering Anchorpoint from a bustling station to a largely deserted, semi-derelict outpost.

Ultimately, Gibson's scripts were simply added to the growing pile of drafts accumulated by Alien 3's producers between 1986 and 1992. Gibson later commented that the idea of a human head tattooed with a barcode was the only thing to make it into the Alien universe, but elements from his drafts appeared to inform subsequent films; the alien experiments were later seen in Alien Resurrection, while the infectious, mutagen gas made its way into Prometheus.
Max Power
AG
** PLOT SPECULATION **

After watching the trailer a few times it definitely looks like David/Walter is going to be central to the chaos. That song is straight up haunting, and the lyrics seem to point in that direction.

There is a part of Prometheus where David asks Holloway why he was created, to which Holloway replied "Because we could." David then asked "How would you feel if your creator said that to you?" This makes me wonder if David has been playing God with the cargo, perhaps he's responsible for this planet that is teeming with organisms infected by the black goo.

Unless I missed it Shaw didn't know that David wasn't programmed not to harm humans, just to carry out the mission. Pretty sure he is going to be the reason she's dead long before the Covenant arrives. Also doesn't seem to be happenstance that both ships arrive at the same planet. The Covenant is carrying colonists to an uncharted planet, yet the other ship is already there, and both ships carry androids produced by Weyland Yutani. All this just points to the androids.

Prometheus was a mess of a film, but I'm hopeful this one redeems the series. Enough so that Scott has the chance to do two additional films as he said. Alien and Aliens are two of my all time favorites.
West Point Aggie
AG
HeadGames said:

The original script for alien 3 was way cooler, made more sense. Alien 3 would have been cool if they didn't kill off Hicks.

I was not aware of this...
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
TCTTS said:

It was a conscious choice screenwriter Damon Lindeloff made / advocated for. The original draft of Prometheus connected directly to Alien. Instead of being a different planet, it was the same planet that Alien takes place on, the ship that crashes at the end of Prometheus is the same one the crew finds in Alien, there were actual aliens, etc. And when Lindeloff came onboard he did away with all of that so it wouldn't feel like a true prequel, and would instead feel like more of a stand-alone movie, which was, in hindsight, a horrible decision.

Someone should take away his driver license. He makes poor decisions.
HeadGames
AG
One of the original ideas for Alien 3 was they crashed on a planet like they did, except it wasn't a max security prison, it was a religious convent. Which would explain the "no weapons" better. Also Hicks and Ripley train the monks to kill the alien.
GoAgs92
AG
As long as Ripley is back in those unexpectedly tiny underwear, I'm there.

Wanted to love Prometheus but it was a confusing mess.
AggieSouth06
GoAgs92 said:

You want to see 66-year-old Sigourney Weaver in a thong?
GoAgs92
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

GoAgs92 said:

I thought the prometheus movies were prequels, she'd be 18...right?
Al Bula
AG
Alien 3 was so bad bad bad. Alien 4, whatever the name was, was much better but still not great. More comedy than terrifying.
wesag
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

GoAgs92 said:

Frau ist frau
V8Aggie
AG
There's a huge history/back story regarding the original Aliens 3 story/movie and the writer/producer butting heads with the studio. The studio is basically the reason we got a **** Aliens 3.

When I was digging around the interwebs a while back I recall it being mentioned that the original writer/producer released his own version/edit of the movie that is supposed to be more in line with his original vision. It came out way after the original movie. From the reviews I saw, it's 1000X better.

If anyone can find a copy or know's where we can watch please link
cone
AG
i got a soft spot for alien 3

there are some cool scenes
Chipotlemonger
AG
/bump bc of new thread
titanmaster_race
HeadGames said:

Am I the only one who liked Prometheus? I mean, it wasn't in the same league as Alien and aliens, but I enjoyed the explanation of the engineers.

I really enjoyed the engineers. At least until Sir Ridley said in an interview that the reason they decided to kill humanity after being all chummy with us was because we killed Jesus, who was really an engineer sent to Earth in peace.

I choose to ignore his 'space jesus' nonsense.
HeadGames
AG
Well... this would explain why Jesus is always depicted white.... so it's not an awful idea.
titanmaster_race
HeadGames said:

Well... this would explain why Jesus is always depicted white.... so it's not an awful idea.

What about his height? No records of him being 8ft tall. I guess he was a tiny engineer.
JD Shellnut
AG
So where do the predators fit into all of this?
Phat32
easttexasaggie04
AG
In
Max Power
AG
Looks like we get some new stuff tomorrow.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/816651-full-alien-covenant-cast-photo-gives-first-look-at-james-franco#/slide/1

Geriatric Punk
AG
Danny McBride = New Hudson?
HeadGames
AG
He better be the only survivor!
Max Power
AG
If McBride doesn't kill an alien with a fastball and yell "You're ****ing out!" I will be disappointed.
TCTTS
AG
Haven't watched this yet because I'm on my phone and want to wait to see it on a bigger screen, but people seemed to be pretty impressed....

Bruce Almighty
AG
That was cool, but I felt like I was watching an Alien / This is the End mashup.
AMW2010
AG
"I'm about to colonize all over this table"
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yeah, it's a different vibe for sure, but I think I like it. Franco as the Captain, though? Would have sworn it'd be Crudup's character. Regardless, that was a pretty clever way to introduce the crew and set up the movie a bit more without showing glimpses of the whole damn thing (which I'm sure they'll do with the next trailer). Becoming more and more hopeful for this one...
TCTTS
AG
Just talked to a friend who HATED this trailer. Like, weirdly so. I admit that the handheld vibe is out of the ordinary for Scott, and that the choking woman bit was a little hokey, but overall I can't see what there is to get so angry about.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting. Not only was this not park of the actual movie, but it wasn't even directed by Ridley Scott. It was instead directed by his son, Luke...

Max Power
AG
In the trailer Crudup is referred to as captain. I think Franco is only in the movie briefly, how else would it have been hidden for so long that he was even involved? It's also possible that the ship has a lot more people on it than are in that short film. If it's truly a colonization mission and they are there a long time, then they might not be waking up everyone at the same time, and there are multiple captains for multiple crews.

In the trailer either a drop ship or pod explodes, but later it appears they are back on the mother ship, someone has to bring them back in that case. Looks like things are going to go wrong on the planet, and the ship as well. I'm just speculating but Crudup is the one in the trailer that gets attached by a face hugger and that's how an alien gets on the mothership.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

In the trailer Crudup is referred to as captain. I think Franco is only in the movie briefly, how else would it have been hidden for so long that he was even involved?
Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Franco is the original Captain of the ship and the Waterston's husband and that Cudrup is the new Captain.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Just talked to a friend who HATED this trailer. Like, weirdly so. I admit that the handheld vibe is out of the ordinary for Scott, and that the choking woman bit was a little hokey, but overall I can't see what there is to get so angry about.
I can't see what there is to dislike. This was a really well done trailer (is that even what this is? Feels more like a short film) It definitely has the look of the original Alien, and I actually laughed at the choking bit with a line of dialogue that was also in the chestburster scene in the original.
israeliag
AG
I like that. Prometheus did have some good "viral" marketing, and glad they are adding that here, too. Especially given that I don't like trailers, but do enjoy those little backstory nuggets.

So Fassbender is another copy of the android David? And if they're the largest colonization expedition than there must be a bunch of frozen passengers (or embryos). I was getting a bit of a Noah's ark feel out of it given that it seemed everyone was paired up.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I enjoyed the religious undertones (overtones?) from Prometheus, whether they were Christianity or Greek mythology, so I'm curious to see how the covenant theme of this plays out.
bedofbrass33
AG
That was a cool little short film. It was very humanizing and already has me caring about the characters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.