Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Christmas present for Aggies: the new OC is HUGE

358,641 Views | 1432 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Leave me alone? Awesome.

Read what I posted. He did his "Curley shuffle" on December 29. People were saying Chavis was a serous candidate before that.
I distinctly remember spending most of Christmass on the topic.

The revisionist history by the Rojo supporters is astounding.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
(Removed:110240)
AG
Then, Silent, the solution is simple. Find the thread you remember, and most of this will go away.

I was lurking all last year around this time reading everything I could find on this coaching search.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I don't remember anyone suggesting Chavis except in jest until Rojo said that it was certain.
kammrath
AG
Here is the timeline:

Dec 19, 2014: AggieRojo states,
quote:
"Bud Foster. That's all folks. No need for throwing more names out there."

Dec 21, 2014: A single report surfaces that A&M had reached out to Chavis. Nothing more comes of this other than speculation on this single report.

Dec 27, 2014: AggieRojo states,
quote:
"I've been all in on Foster since I heard from my low friends at VT and confirmed it with a low friend at A&M. It's been about 4-5 weeks now. I have no motive or bias here. Just playing the cards I have seen."

Dec 29, 2014: AggieRojo states,
quote:
"The envelope please....Texas A&M's new Defensive Coordinator is.....
.....John Chavis according to my low friend here in College Station. That Sumlin -- he did the Curley Shuffle to my sources. The paperwork is in. Signed."

Dec 30, 2014: Serious pursuit of Chavis by A&M surfaces the next day.

Dec 31, 2014: This is followed on New Year's Eve by reports that it is a done deal.

Mar 18, 2015: Bud Foster admits that he was very close to going to A&M and that even his wife was in.
AG
Thank you! This is exactly what we needed.

All that is missing is for Silent, BMX, or any other naysayer to produce a credible quote by anyone saying Chavis is a done deal before Rojo.
Aggielandma12
AG
quote:
"It was intriguing with Kevin," Foster said. "His notoriety as an offensive guy and putting offensive points on the board and those kind of things and being able to get the type of athletes they can get at Texas A&M, it was an intriguing option at the end of the day."
StrykerAg
AG
That's why Chavis came here. And we've let him down
texag713
quote:

Funny to think Chief wants Spav fired more than even the Zoo does.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
Yup. Spuck Fav
Bajan
AG
maybe Rojo's friend in low places is trolling Rojo

Chavis Sweet Stache
AG
I want to believe.

But mostly I want these types of press conferences.

aggiehawg
AG
Chavis was in contract extension negotiations with LSU in late November and early December. Note I said contract extension. He was already under contract and had a Memorandum of Agreement that made his deal go through December 2015. The proposed extension was for additional years. It was widely expected he would sign the new deal and stay at LSU. Chavis has never been a job-hopper and is a loyal guy.

Foster too was a loyal foot soldier for Beamer for many years and was paid well for it. Beamer's age and health meant he would not be HC for more than another season or two. Foster opted to stay in what was already a good job with the probability of becoming Beamer's successor. (He chose unwisely in that respect.)

By mid-December 2014, things were deteriorating between Chavis and Alleva and Miles either couldn't or wouldn't intervene effectively enough to soothe the ruffled feathers. (FTR, I think Miles tried because he really loved and valued Chief, but Alleva was a loose cannon and OOC.)

Sure, A&M reached out to Chavis during this period of angst and discontent. And that was reported, but wasn't taken all that seriously at the time. Chavis' history militated against his being considered fully in play for a job change. Turns out that perception was incorrect, but nearly everyone shared it.

There wouldn't be a lawsuit otherwise. Alleva wouldn't have felt so betrayed and butthurt over Chavis leaving. The LSU fans wouldn't have been so nasty about Chavis leaving if they had thought it was a probability at the time.

It was unexpected.

I'm not really pro-Rojo or Anti-Rojo at this point, but the Chavis call was made, not out of the blue precisely, but when it was still considered a long-shot, by anybody other than Chavis and Sumlin.
Frisco - Ag
AG
AG
Great insight, Hawg! Thank you for sharing.

I am an eternal optimist, and I really hope Rojo is correct. He has a track record that a few on here feel the need to disparage. For some reason they seem to disappear when facts start getting brought up.
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
StealthAg
AG
quote:
You want a cookie?
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
You want a cookie?

No, but I'll take white chocolate macadamia nut. Thanks.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Post padding
TexasAgs1
Once again Hawg is the smartest person on this site.

Can't believe I'm still refreshing 1k posts later. ****ing Fire Spav already.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
You want a cookie?

No, but I'll take white chocolate macadamia nut. Thanks.

Agsrback12
That was good to see the time line with Foster and Chavis.

The "curly shuffle" this year is throwing a curve ball with Spurrier and hiring _________??
fireinthehole
Hawg, add AggieRojo to your "other than list", or at least sooner than anyone other than the two you mentioned and their confidants.
The silence is deafening. Sumlin has not publicly squashed this. Lucci has not deleted this.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Hawg, add AggieRojo to your "other than list", or at least sooner than anyone other than the two you mentioned and their confidants.
The silence is deafening. Sumlin has not publicly squashed this. Lucci has not deleted this.
That was a bit of an overstatement that only Chavis and Sumlin knew. Obviously Hyman had to have given the blessing on the salary, the lawyers had to have reviewed his existing contract on the buy-out and the need for the indemnification clause.

The point I was trying to make was that these coaching changes get all the way to the contract stage and still break down with a last second change of heart by the candidate. It was ultimately up to Chavis to pull the trigger. And he took awhile to make the final, final decision. (The infamous phone call the day of LSU's bowl game.)

And as a sidenote, does anyone really think Chavis has regretted his decision to come here after the s***show LSU just put Miles through?? He saw it coming and got out before that train hit the station.

Maybe we should send Alleva a nice fruit basket for Christmas??
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Once again Hawg is the smartest person on this site.
Isn't that akin to being the best Mexican food restaurant in Minneapolis?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Hawg you had me at Memorandum of Agreement.
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
That was good to see the time line with Foster and Chavis.

The "curly shuffle" this year is throwing a curve ball with Spurrier and hiring _________??

Mark richt
careerchange05
AG
quote:
quote:
You want a cookie?
gayest thing that's consistently said on this board next to "FIFY" and "VORE"
End Of Message
AG
Care to vore on it?
careerchange05
AG
quote:
Care to suck on it?
FIFY

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.