Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Christmas present for Aggies: the new OC is HUGE

358,070 Views | 1432 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At his news conference after stepping down, Spurrier expressly left open that he might coach and be with another football team but stated not as Head Coach. Spurrier is the best offensive talent for OC currently available. Spurrier is good friends with Sumlin. Spurrier knows he will have autonomy to run the O and call plays as Sumlin has a rep for this. He apparently exerts no control over Spav. Spurrier loves and knows the SEC. Spurrier's name will automatically be viewed as much or more of a get than even Chavis. Would calm the stormy waters currently surrounding Sumlin. Spurrier has proven he can move the ball in the SEC. Spurrier's name qualifies as HUGE unlike Mangino, Mumme and others speculated about here. Holgerson would be only name approaching that but only because he is a head coach and he still has his job.

Only drawbacks: he does not run the air raid, an offense that until this year Sumlin has seemed totally committed to. Spurrier's age but he seems to act much younger than that. Spurrier is still a very vibrant person. One other: Spurrier would not be able to speak his unfiltered thoughts here as he has always done as a head coach. Can he filter his statements?

Bottom line: Rojo's information may have validity.
ironmanag
AG
Not that I believe any of this but why would we want him to censor his thoughts. If this does happen let him be him.
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
Not that I believe any of this but why would we want him to censor his thoughts. If this does happen let him be him.

Because an assistant coach does not have room to speak like an HC. He has to toe the company line. The HC is the company line. You know this.
AgsMnn
AG
quote:
Welcome to Aggieland, Steve Spurrier. Texas A&M's new OC.

Has the deal been signed? That is all
zmurda
quote:
At his news conference after stepping down, Spurrier expressly left open that he might coach and be with another football team but stated not as Head Coach. Spurrier is the best offensive talent for OC currently available. Spurrier is good friends with Sumlin. Spurrier knows he will have autonomy to run the O and call plays as Sumlin has a rep for this. He apparently exerts no control over Spav. Spurrier loves and knows the SEC. Spurrier's name will automatically be viewed as much or more of a get than even Chavis. Would calm the stormy waters currently surrounding Sumlin. Spurrier has proven he can move the ball in the SEC. Spurrier's name qualifies as HUGE unlike Mangino, Mumme and others speculated about here. Holgerson would be only name approaching that but only because he is a head coach and he still has his job.

Only drawbacks: he does not run the air raid, an offense that until this year Sumlin has seemed totally committed to. Spurrier's age but he seems to act much younger than that. Spurrier is still a very vibrant person. One other: Spurrier would not be able to speak his unfiltered thoughts here as he has always done as a head coach. Can he filter his statements?

I don't think Sumlin has been completely committed to the air raid at all...we clearly haven't run a pure air raid since 2012. Add that to the fact that we've gone all in on tight end recruits as of late...
AG
quote:
quote:

Because an assistant coach does not have room to speak like an HC. He has to toe the company line. The HC is the company line. You know this.

That won't happen in his case. And Sumlin would know that. I think it would be refreshing as hell.
Thisguy1
What offense do you think Spurrier is known for, exactly?
Nino Brown
Might be a new trend. Your HC is the PR guy, shows up everywhere. Does all the recruiting, great with the parents and families. Hire older coordinators that just want to game plan and scheme and play golf the rest of the year and not deal with all the b.s. You don't have to worry about losing your coordinators when they don't want HC jobs, they just want to coach not all the other stuff.
WGann3
AG
quote:
Might be a new trend. Your HC is the PR guy, shows up everywhere. Does all the recruiting, great with the parents and families. Hire older coordinators that just want to game plan and scheme and play golf the rest of the year and not deal with all the b.s. You don't have to worry about losing your coordinators when they don't want HC jobs, they just want to coach not all the other stuff.
You may be on to something brilliant here...
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
What offense do you think Spurrier is known for, exactly?

I believe it is a pro style type offense with tight end and I formation with a lot of shotgun no back plays added. Always well balanced between run and pass with good QB's. Spurrier has always been able to move the ball against superior defensive talent. Spurrier personally coaches QB's and is really good at it. Has referred to it as the "fun and gun." Spurrier has been known to frequently pull his starting QB like a baseball pitcher who is not throwing well then even put him back in if the second stronger does not do better. He has done this throughout his career.
Motel California
S
quote:

Chavis has been recruiting like a typical DC would. Don't go full trailer kitty
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think Sumlin has been completely committed to the air raid at all...we clearly haven't run a pure air raid since 2012. Add that to the fact that we've gone all in on tight end recruits as of late...

Now that you mention it, I agree.
PosterFormallyKnownAsRojo
AG
quote:
Something isn't adding up.

-Spurrier resigned around the 13th
-You first posted he was coming on the 25th
-We played SC on the 31st

Are you saying we got Spurrier before he and Sumlin even spoke?

Not saying it doesn't completely make sense because Hyman was the guy who told Sumlin Spurrier resigned, so something could have gotten in the works without Sumlin being involved, but it sounds unlikely.

It sounds like you're trying to protect either Sumlin or A&M by saying they didn't talk until after the A&M/SC game.

I stand by my original statement:

"I, nor my friends in low places, have any knowledge about Sumlin and Spurrier talking about Spurrier coming to Texas A&M prior to the South Carolina game. However, they certainly spoke afterwards and moved quickly on an agreement in principle with two major hurdles that had to be worked out."

What Hyman knew, and when he knew it, I have no information.
aginlakeway
AG
Rojo,

Is the ink dry?
Southeastern Conference
AG
Rrrrrojo
Aggie2022
Last time I will post this poll. So far a large amount are on the Spurrier train.

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll499079xE44147A2-21
R_Shackleford
AG
103 or not?
TexasAgs1
When is the damn announcement already? I got **** to do today.
Mr. White
Have any of the media sniffed this at all? Are there lists of rumored candidates in the news?
Citizen Reign
quote:
Only drawbacks: he does not run the air raid, an offense that until this year Sumlin has seemed totally committed to.
Did you see anything remotely resembling an air raid attack this year? The vertical passing game was all but nonexistent. The ball was thrown down the line of scrimmage to the sideline 657 times this year. WRs ran stop routes 7432 times this year.
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Page 1
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
When is the damn announcement already? I got **** to do today.
Drake aTm
BeefAg_00~
Rojo, do you ever eat at Country Cousins barbeque?
Motel California
S
quote:
Rojo, do you ever eat at Country Cousins barbeque?

Take your sausage talk else where
Yell Practice
The thing that is HUGE is the Christmas rumor.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
quote:
quote:

Not saying it doesn't completely make sense because Hyman was the guy who told Sumlin Spurrier resigned, so something could have gotten in the works without Sumlin being involved, but it sounds unlikely.

It sounds like you're trying to protect either Sumlin or A&M by saying they didn't talk until after the A&M/SC game.

"I, nor my friends in low places, have any knowledge about Sumlin and Spurrier talking about Spurrier coming to Texas A&M prior to the South Carolina game. However, they certainly spoke afterwards and moved quickly on an agreement in principle with two major hurdles that had to be worked out."

If Rojo is correct, then Spurrier resigning prior to the A&M/SC game is no coincidence. If it surfaces that talks were taking place prior to the game (which they probably were) and Spurrier had decided to come to A&M without resigning when he did, there probably would have been litigation.

From my vantage point, Spurrier resigning prior to the game removes any tortious interference arguments as well as any general contentions of impropriety.
Mr. White
Good point/greggo
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Spurrier's name qualifies as HUGE unlike Mangino, Mumme and others speculated about here.
It's not Mangino name that's HUGE.....
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

Chavis has been recruiting like a typical DC would. Don't go full trailer kitty
Don't really think Chavis is necessarily speaking the "party line" either.
Sniffing Accountant
AG
Rojo,

What were the two major hurdles?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If Rojo is correct, then Spurrier resigning prior to the A&M/SC game is no coincidence. If it surfaces that talks were taking place prior to the game (which they probably were) and Spurrier had decided to come to A&M without resigning when he did, there probably would have been litigation.

From my vantage point, Spurrier resigning prior to the game removes any tortious interference arguments as well as any general contentions of impropriety.
Agreed. Spurrier resigned on 12 October 2015 prior to the Gamecocks playing Vanderbilt on 17 October 2015. The next week South Carolina had a Bye week (24 October 2015). Texas A&M played South Carolina on 31 October 2015. Both Spurrier and Sumlin are men of great integrity. There was no way they were going to talk directly to each other prior to the South Carolina vs Texas A&M game. One other thing: Spurrier specifically did not attend the Texas A&M game in any form, shape, or fashion.
AG
quote:
Rojo,

Not mine to disclose.
Frisco - Ag
AG
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
Rojo,

Not mine to disclose.
Deez Nuts

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.